Kareem Abdul-Jabbar plans to ‘discuss a possible role’ with the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject:

This is great news especially considering the direction that the NBA seems to be taking. If you take a look around the NBA you will see that the majority of up and coming talent is at the front court positions.

The bigmen are making a serious comeback and when this current group of stars begin to fade, the next wave of stars to take over the NBA are gonna be lead by bigmen.

Simmons, towns, embiid, porzingis, the two bigs that were on Denver, okafor (he will be a 20/10 guy again when he gets away from philly). Not to mention Anthony Davis who is still a few years away from his prime (I guess you can count cousins too).

I think zubac can be on that tier of players as well with Caps help. We're going to need him to be when it's our time to compete.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
ZUBAC BRINGING THE SKY HOOK BACK
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Nice to know the GOAT wants to work with our best prospect.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I guess this could be good for Zu. But, we play a lot of small balll.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
This is great news especially considering the direction that the NBA seems to be taking. If you take a look around the NBA you will see that the majority of up and coming talent is at the front court positions.

The bigmen are making a serious comeback and when this current group of stars begin to fade, the next wave of stars to take over the NBA are gonna be lead by bigmen.

Simmons, towns, embiid, porzingis, the two bigs that were on Denver, okafor (he will be a 20/10 guy again when he gets away from philly). Not to mention Anthony Davis who is still a few years away from his prime (I guess you can count cousins too).

I think zubac can be on that tier of players as well with Caps help. We're going to need him to be when it's our time to compete.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject:

Magic, Kobe and Kareem has a real nice ring to it......
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Not sure why that's funny.

He put up 17.5 points and 7 rebounds as a 19 year old rookie. That's when he was getting 30 mpg. Last season he only got 22 minutes a game and his scoring and rebounding dropped to around 12 and 5.

Idc what the rumors are about him in philly, the truth is that he's a starting caliber center that can give you at minimum 20 and 10 if given 35 minutes a game.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

Those numbers might be inflated due to being on a tanking team where he was featured. Any team with a player like Oak absorbing 27% usage is probably not going anywhere.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

He put up 17.5 points and 7 rebounds as a 19 year old rookie. That's when he was getting 30 mpg. Last season he only got 22 minutes a game and his scoring and rebounding dropped to around 12 and 5.

Idc what the rumors are about him in philly, the truth is that he's a starting caliber center that can give you at minimum 20 and 10 if given 35 minutes a game.

Because he is not our player.

Some folks would call it double standard, but since we are all Lakers fans I think the bias is expected.

17.5 points and 7 rebounds don't tell the whole history if the player don't have a good BPM and plays for someone else while the raw numbers alone are enough to show how good can be one of our players.

Okafor is also slow footed and lacks elite athleticism, another factors separating him from elite prospects, of course taking into account he plays for other team because it is not a limiting factor for one of our players.

The last I remember is about how Okafor is at his peak after two seasons when he had knee problems and was relegated to the bench role. If you put a Lakers jersey on him we are going to find folks showing how he was mistreated, that it is an absurd telling a player his age has peaked and that he was bothered by his knee problems.

Let it go, why to bother with Okafor if he is not our player?

I have concerns about our problems and strengths, I can't care less about 76ers.

At this point it is becoming clear that Denver blew the pick. KAT still rules his class, Porzingis is not looking ten times better than Dlo and Okafor while Booker is also closing the gap. At the end of their rookie deals everything can be different.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

First of all, his rebounding is garbage. He averaged 8.4 and 7.6 rebounds per 36 minutes his first two seasons. Good luck getting him up to 10, unless you want him to play 47.4 minutes per game (that's literally how many he has to play to get to 10).

Second of all, there's a reason Philly didn't want to play him and no one wanted to trade for him. The kid can score, no doubt, but he's absolute trash in literally every other aspect of the game. He's absolute anathema to a winning program, and there's a reason that on/off numbers, as well as stats like RPM and RAPM, paint him as literally the worst player in the league.

So even though I actually agree he could be a 20 ppg player, he'll never get there because no team is dumb enough to play him enough many minutes to get that far.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Because he is not our player.

Some folks would call it double standard, but since we are all Lakers fans I think the bias is expected.

17.5 points and 7 rebounds don't tell the whole history if the player don't have a good BPM and plays for someone else while the raw numbers alone are enough to show how good can be one of our players.

Okafor is also slow footed and lacks elite athleticism, another factors separating him from elite prospects, of course taking into account he plays for other team because it is not a limiting factor for one of our players.

The last I remember is about how Okafor is at his peak after two seasons when he had knee problems and was relegated to the bench role. If you put a Lakers jersey on him we are going to find folks showing how he was mistreated, that it is an absurd telling a player his age has peaked and that he was bothered by his knee problems.

Let it go, why to bother with Okafor if he is not our player?

I have concerns about our problems and strengths, I can't care less about 76ers.

At this point it is becoming clear that Denver blew the pick. KAT still rules his class, Porzingis is not looking ten times better than Dlo and Okafor while Booker is also closing the gap. At the end of their rookie deals everything can be different.

The only hypocrisy is people who claim Okafor is garbage due to his advanced stats (which is true) and that Ingram is not. He's the only Laker who's ever put up advanced stats that mirror Okafor's. And even then, there's a difference -- Ingram's advanced stats sucked because he struggled, whereas Okafor's advanced stats sucked even though he was scoring capably. Why do you think that is? Why do you think his minutes dropped from 30 to 23? It's because he's garbage, plain and simple.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Those numbers might be inflated due to being on a tanking team where he was featured. Any team with a player like Oak absorbing 27% usage is probably not going anywhere.

They tried hard to make him tradable but still no takers.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

The only hypocrisy is people who claim Okafor is garbage due to his advanced stats (which is true) and that Ingram is not. He's the only Laker who's ever put up advanced stats that mirror Okafor's. And even then, there's a difference -- Ingram's advanced stats sucked because he struggled, whereas Okafor's advanced stats sucked even though he was scoring capably. Why do you think that is? Why do you think his minutes dropped from 30 to 23? It's because he's garbage, plain and simple.

Hypocrisy is a term too strong to be used here, it has more to do with fans tendency to overrate their own players. I'm not different, but you are not going to see me doing that with a sub .50 team.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
tox wrote:

Hypocrisy is a term too strong to be used here, it has more to do with fans tendency to overrate their own players. I'm not different, but you are not going to see me doing that with a sub .50 team.

It has nothing to do with overrating their own players. Okafor, on the Lakers or the Sixers, is a trash player. He does exactly one thing at an above average level (score) and even then, the way he gets his points is so stagnant that he ends up killing the offense on the 70-75% of possessions where he's not the person shooting the ball. That's why his offensive advanced stats are worse than his defensive ones, despite his rep of being a terrible defender. There's no one on the Lakers who's similar to him in that regard.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I had okafor pegged for what he is before he even entered the NBA.

A players ability to impact the game of basketball is a real thing and empty stats are also a real thing. However that isn't the point.

The truth is that the sixers have Joel embiid of the roster and that's why okafor may miinutes and numbers decreased. He sixers also have no idea if embiid will ever be able to last for a 82 game season, while okafor is still on a team friendly contract. So, honestly there is no real urgency to trade him (Noel on the other hand needed to be moved asap because his contract had two year remaining and he was becoming a media problem).

There are a bunch of teams every season who are going nowhere and need a star that can put up numbers. The brook lopez, al Jeffersons, Demarcus cousins and James hardens. If you don't think that teams like the kings, bobcats, nets and a bunch of others would start okafor in a heart beat idk what to tell you. Okafor is only a kid and 20 and 10 is not out of his reach no matter what the "numbers" tell you. He isn't a finished product and not even close to his prime.

Do I think you can build a winning team around him with his rebounding and defense? No. But he's easily a 20 and 10 guy as well as a top 10 big man in this league.

I can't believe I'm saying this but this guy is now being criminally underrated as a basketball player. It's crazy since I thought he was rediculously overrated coming out of college.

It's insane that people think he maxed out at 17.5 and 7 In 30 mpg on 50% from the field as a rookie. The more interesting part is that he put up those numbers playing with another starting caliber center on his team.

I wonder what his numbers would be if he played 35 mpg
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

It's hilarious that anyone uses 7 rebounds in 30 mpg (small forward type rebounding numbers) as evidence that a center is good. That's 10 rebounds in 40+ minutes, which is garbage. Okafor will never be a 20/10 player because he'll never get to 10 rebounds.

If you think his upside is Al Jefferson, then OK. That's about as damning as criticism as I can come up with myself
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Well I guess that's it. Books closed on okafor...he's peaked as a player
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: