Lakers reportedly hiring Arizona alum Miles Simon to coaching staff (Now Hired as South Bay Coach)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Lakers reportedly hiring Arizona alum Miles Simon to coaching staff (Now Hired as South Bay Coach)

Lakers reportedly hiring Arizona alum Miles Simon to coaching staff
He will replace Theo Robertson.

As Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach Luke Walton continues his quest to fill his entire coaching staff with Arizona Wildcats, the team is reportedly “finalizing” a contract to hire Miles Simon to their coaching staff, [url]according to Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times[/url].

Simon, a product of Southern California’s own Mater Dei High School whose jersey was recognized at Arizona last October, averaged 14.6 points, 3.8 rebounds and four assists in his four years with the Wildcats. He then appeared for five games for the Orlando Magic during the 1998-99 season, averaging less than a point per appearance.

Following his college career, Simon was a coach on Arizona’s staff from 2005 to 2008 before joining ESPN as a college basketball analyst in 2010. According to Ganguli, he will replace the role of former assistant coach Theo Robertson, who departed for a job at the University of California, Berkeley at the end of the season.
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/5/25/15695404/la-lakers-rumors-arizona-alum-miles-simon-coaching-staff-luke-walton

Anyone have some extended thoughts about this guy?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Mater Dei, 1990's local legend. Didn't pan out in the NBA. I think he does college games as commentator. Man, is Luke hiring the best in the field, or just Wildcat buddies?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Not sure if nepotism but welcome to the lakers
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Just a matter of time before Jordan Farmar and Richard Jefferson join the squad in player development roles. Those are his two still playing NBA buddies.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

More of my fellow U of A alum... nice.

Good hire.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

*golf clap*
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

Yeah, but can he shoot though.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

It's a third chair position. Not going to get a top strategist for that role. Of he takes instruction well, connects with the players and had a good work ethic he will be a good hire.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
It's a third chair position. Not going to get a top strategist for that role. Of he takes instruction well, connects with the players and had a good work ethic he will be a good hire.

He's got all those things for sure

He also did some tv stuff so you can find out a more about he sees that game online somewhere
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Just a matter of time before Jordan Farmar and Richard Jefferson join the squad in player development roles. Those are his two still playing NBA buddies.
you might as well get their chairs ready its going to happen.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Well he loves Magic, Kobe, and has a big ass shoe collection. Alright in my book.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I draw the line at Richard Jefferson.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Sighs. Looking for actual coaching upgrades this summer on the staff and not just Luke Arizona buds.
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Sighs. Looking for actual coaching upgrades this summer on the staff and not just Luke Arizona buds.

Frankly a bit laughable that people seem to think that's how little Luke thinks of the job -- that he would just hire an Arizona guy over a qualified assistant. Just because you don't see this guy's resume on Wikipedia doesn't mean this wasn't a good hire. Former scout Ed Isaacson (now a director of recruiting at a basketball talent/management agency) said this was a "fantastic move" by the Lakers and that Simon "has built [an] excellent reputation in player development between USA basketball and AAU."

https://twitter.com/Ed3PtSports/status/867902355521634308

So it's a guy that Luke knows, trusts, and has a reputation in player development. And the issue is?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Exceedingly smart player in college and always performed in big moments. Mater Dei alum too if I remember correctly.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if he still is, but he was Chris Bosh personal skills trainer if memory serves me correctly.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

https://www.usab.com/basketball/staff/s/miles-simon.aspx
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Not sure if he still is, but he was Chris Bosh personal skills trainer if memory serves me correctly.

Yep. Bosh, Klay, Jimmer and Landry Fields.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Should have hired Lavar Ball.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I went to Arizona, and even knew Miles a little. They won the NCAA's the last year I was in Tucson.
Simon was an assistant for Lute Olson, and was supposed to be pretty good at it.

All that being said, I would have preferred they'd hired a top defensive coach.

The problem with hiring another Arizona guy, in my opinion, is that they all trained in the Lute Olson school of bball. That's getting pretty "uni-toned" from the coaching staff. Getting some diverse voices in there with different experience would have been better.

and again, I'd have seriously preferred a top defensive coach before anyone else. That, and hiring KAJ as the big man coach too, of course.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Atticus wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Frankly a bit laughable that people seem to think that's how little Luke thinks of the job -- that he would just hire an Arizona guy over a qualified assistant. Just because you don't see this guy's resume on Wikipedia doesn't mean this wasn't a good hire. Former scout Ed Isaacson (now a director of recruiting at a basketball talent/management agency) said this was a "fantastic move" by the Lakers and that Simon "has built [an] excellent reputation in player development between USA basketball and AAU."

So it's a guy that Luke knows, trusts, and has a reputation in player development. And the issue is?

Exactly. There's no reason to criticize this hire if you aren't even meaningfully familiar with him. The fact that he's an Arizona alum doesn't mean that Luke is just hiring friends or people with Arizona connections. From what I've read he sounds like the right kind of guy for the role he'll serve in, which is player development. This also doesn't mean that Luke isn't going to hire a coach who specializes in defense. Simon is replacing Robertson, who was a player development coach.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
I went to Arizona, and even knew Miles a little. They won the NCAA's the last year I was in Tucson.
Simon was an assistant for Lute Olson, and was supposed to be pretty good at it.

All that being said, I would have preferred they'd hired a top defensive coach.

The problem with hiring another Arizona guy, in my opinion, is that they all trained in the Lute Olson school of bball. That's getting pretty "uni-toned" from the coaching staff. Getting some diverse voices in there with different experience would have been better.

and again, I'd have seriously preferred a top defensive coach before anyone else. That, and hiring KAJ as the big man coach too, of course.

good point
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Atticus wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Great to read some real and positive info as opposed to the half-baked theories from the "Everything sucks" crowd who would pass on a night with a supermodel because she had a birthmark on the bottom of her left foot.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

I respectfully disagree with this take. In addition to Lute Olson, Miles Simon played for Chuck Daly in Orlando, arguably one of the top three NBA coaches in the late 80s/early 90s. And perhaps the best defensive coach in that time. Not to mention Simon's stint with the Dakota Wizards coached by Dave Joerger, who turned out to be a pretty decent NBA coach in his own right. I can't speak to the quality of coaches he had playing overseas, but based on his American resume, I don't think it's fair to act like he hasn't had exposure to other coaches/schools of thought.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Is Miles good at volleyball or surfing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: