Ask Jeanie Buss Questions June 5 at noon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

Honestly, there could be a few reasons Jerry West wasn't invited back. One, West absolutely did not want to draft Magic Johnson in '79. He was aboard the Moncrief train and would tell anyone willing to listen during Magic's rookie season that "The Magic act is going to disappear." He did not believe a 6'9 point guard could translate to the NBA. Oops.

Two, he left the Lakers largely because of Phil Jackson, and he was not shy about voicing his distaste for Phil and Jeanie's relationship. Given that Magic and Jeanie are running the organization, it's not surprising they might not want him back in the fold.

In a perfect world, we would all say "Let bygones be bygones" but humans are irrational beings and carry grudges. I would love for Jerry West to be back with the team in some capacity. I also recognize there are underlying reasons why he won't be and that egos are involved. Hell, Mitch Kupchak still doesn't get credit for the Kobe/Pau championships from some fans because West is the one who traded for Kobe. It is what it is at this point.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
They definitely rejected the logo.

Their lost not the Logo. Magic has no experience. He gotta have someone he can listen and respect.

Seems like the future movement makes it an easy decision for them. But that's a bad move to close doors so quickly on proven and experienced brain trust.

Or something more to the pjax/jwest history? Or she's supporting a bball ops (Magic) decision. But to say no if Jerry was ok with similiar authority as kobe (generally none) is a bad move; you let Jerry back in the Lakers fold just for appearances sake. He was the magic/kobe of his era.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

I wonder if jeanie still thinks phil is coming to the lakers
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Honestly, there could be a few reasons Jerry West wasn't invited back. One, West absolutely did not want to draft Magic Johnson in '79. He was aboard the Moncrief train and would tell anyone willing to listen during Magic's rookie season that "The Magic act is going to disappear." He did not believe a 6'9 point guard could translate to the NBA. Oops.

Two, he left the Lakers largely because of Phil Jackson, and he was not shy about voicing his distaste for Phil and Jeanie's relationship. Given that Magic and Jeanie are running the organization, it's not surprising they might not want him back in the fold.

In a perfect world, we would all say "Let bygones be bygones" but humans are irrational beings and carry grudges. I would love for Jerry West to be back with the team in some capacity. I also recognize there are underlying reasons why he won't be and that egos are involved. Hell, Mitch Kupchak still doesn't get credit for the Kobe/Pau championships from some fans because West is the one who traded for Kobe. It is what it is at this point.

Could be that West knows all this also and went public to make himself the next "we want Phil" movement.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Could be that West knows all this also and went public to make himself the next "we want Phil" movement.

Could be the dude is 79 years old and didn't exactly make a flattering impression on her with respect to her ex...

Magic deserves to have full authority so if it flops he can be blamed completely and if it works folks aren't giving credit to The Logo for things he may or may not have done.

#BannersOverBillboards
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

West definitely knows he's got some skeletons buried deep in that closet. He's long had temper issues and hasn't been the most pleasant guy to be around in high stress situations. Having said all that, it seems he's chilled out in his later years. West came clean about his abusive upbringing in his autobiography, and he's most likely still trying to make amends for some of the bridges he burned.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Three, Magic doesn't want Jerry overshadowing Magic.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Three, Magic doesn't want Jerry overshadowing Magic.

Yep, that's why I mentioned egos and the whole Mitch Kupchak thing.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Could be the dude is 79 years old and didn't exactly make a flattering impression on her with respect to her ex...

Magic deserves to have full authority so if it flops he can be blamed completely and if it works folks aren't giving credit to The Logo for things he may or may not have done.

I don't care about Magic getting full blame or full credit. If it makes the Lakers better, then do it. If it doesn't, then don't.

Jim is gone. The politics should be over. Make the team good, and forget the rest of this (bleep).
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

I don't care about Magic getting full blame or full credit. If it makes the Lakers better, then do it. If it doesn't, then don't.

Jim is gone. The politics should be over. Make the team good, and forget the rest of this (bleep).

All I care about is the same thing everyone does...that we start competing for and winning championships.

I think Magic has immediately seized the reigns and has the entire team working like a team as seen with how everyone is participating in the draft evaluation process.

Bringing in The Logo at this point could be a too many chefs type thing as he was brought into GS to elevate their credibility...something that isn't needed with Magic on the scene.

I think if Magic wanted him there...he'd be there...but what some are saying The Logo would help with is exactly why Rob was hired...so the need for Jerry isn't there unless they're giving him an honorarium for the sake of appeasing the fans.

#BannersOverBillboards
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Did she allude rather the Lakers are in win now mode or rebuilding?

In response to whether we would try to add an older, more experienced player to the roster, she said with the CBA, and trying to be successful within those rules, they have realized how important it is to hold on to the young talent. Later though she says it's a balance and developing players includes putting veterans around them that can teach them how to be a pro and compliment them.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

In response to whether we would try to add an older, more experienced player to the roster, she said with the CBA, and trying to be successful within those rules, they have realized how important it is to hold on to the young talent.

Thanks, so they probably don't mind a few average seasons until the the young guys get accustom to playing at a high level and winning games.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jeanie,

I have a question.

Why the (bleep) do you keep doing radio interviews?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Hi Jeanie,

I have a question.

Why the (bleep) do you keep doing radio interviews?

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
No dodge on the Jerry West question, that's for sure.

Are there details about what she said about West anywhere?
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Go to 29:20 in this video to see it.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Thanks, man.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Jeanie is calling the shots anymore. I get the impression Magic has her in check and Magic has done a hell of a job leveraging things exactly how he wants them.

Flipped the script on a consultant gig with a media campaign knowing Jeannie wasn't going to back her brother. Hired Kobe confidant without a formal GM search while attaching himself to Bryant at every opportunity. Managing the media more actively than any other front office exec in the league (Mark Cuban be like 'that man is everywhere'). Successfully took the photo-op at the draft lottery. Pumped up the fan base with talk of Paul George for peanuts and tweaked the players on the roster to show he's a man of action while also keeping the narrative about stay the course.

You have to give the man credit. He managing the politics of the situation to a hell of a position.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

So she basically said Magic's in charge. Smart to point the finger at Magic for all the hard questions.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

So basically, "Magic is a good enough basketball mind that we don't need Jerry's help.":

Oof.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I don't think Jeanie is calling the shots anymore. I get the impression Magic has her in check and Magic has done a hell of a job leveraging things exactly how he wants them.

Flipped the script on a consultant gig with a media campaign knowing Jeannie wasn't going to back her brother. Hired Kobe confidant without a formal GM search while attaching himself to Bryant at every opportunity. Managing the media more actively than any other front office exec in the league (Mark Cuban be like 'that man is everywhere'). Successfully took the photo-op at the draft lottery. Pumped up the fan base with talk of Paul George for peanuts and tweaked the players on the roster to show he's a man of action while also keeping the narrative about stay the course.

You have to give the man credit. He managing the politics of the situation to a hell of a position.

Such a bag of BS. Jeannie is in charge, plain and simple. She wants Magic in charge of 'Basketball Decisions'. That is what she hired him for. She fired the last guy in charge of "Basketball Decisions" because he froze her out and did NOT communicate anything with her.

Do you really think that Magic is some sort of Machiavellian A-hole, who's ONLY goal is to force his desires onto the Lakers without her support???

If you think this, you are seriously fubared beyond redemption. Get with it, keep it real.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
So basically, "Magic is a good enough basketball mind that we don't need Jerry's help.":

Oof.

I think her point is to give Magic a chance first, let's see what he can do without muddying the waters, where you can't tell who is responsible for what.

Look, I love West, he was my first hero, I watched his entire career from his opening minute. I get him. But Jeannie runs this team and she has a valid point, whether you like it or not. She talks this over with her other active family members, as well as Magic and Rob, I would presume. They all decide what they want to do. Honestly, if they have all decided against bringing West in at this time, no problem from me. I don't own the team. I am more than happy that they finally got rid of Jim, not as thrilled that Mitch ended out a part of that, but respect the decision. That was the way the ball bounced.

West left us while we were winning rings under Jackson, I would NEVER return those rings so that we could have kept West. It was his decision and he has to live that. We did! Life will go on. While I would be happy to have him back in the fold, him not being hired is not going to make me feel negative about Jeannie, Magic or the rest of the Buss family.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
So basically, "Magic is a good enough basketball mind that we don't need Jerry's help."

Oof.

I think her point is to give Magic a chance first, let's see what he can do without muddying the waters, where you can't tell who is responsible for what.

Look, I love West, he was my first hero, I watched his entire career from his opening minute. I get him. But Jeannie runs this team and she has a valid point, whether you like it or not. She talks this over with her other active family members, as well as Magic and Rob, I would presume. They all decide what they want to do. Honestly, if they have all decided against bringing West in at this time, no problem from me. I don't own the team. I am more than happy that they finally got rid of Jim, not as thrilled that Mitch ended out a part of that, but respect the decision. That was the way the ball bounced.

West left us while we were winning rings under Jackson, I would NEVER return those rings so that we could have kept West. It was his decision and he has to live that. We did! Life will go on. While I would be happy to have him back in the fold, him not being hired is not going to make me feel negative about Jeannie, Magic or the rest of the Buss family.

It's not about feelings or sentiment. Well run organizations can add talent without worrying about who shares the credit. Just look at the Warriors.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

In response to whether we would try to add an older, more experienced player to the roster, she said with the CBA, and trying to be successful within those rules, they have realized how important it is to hold on to the young talent.

Thanks, so they probably don't mind a few average seasons until the the young guys get accustom to playing at a high level and winning games.

I hadn't heard her second comment on this issue. I added it before you quoted me. She did say it is a balance between developing young guys and bringing in seasoned vets...and that bringing in vets to make your team better and compliment the young guys is part of developing young guys.

This team is not far from being on the Memphis/OKC/Utah level, and that is without PG or Butler. They just need a few things to click.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Wino wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
So basically, "Magic is a good enough basketball mind that we don't need Jerry's help."

Oof.

It's not about feelings or sentiment. Well run organizations can add talent without worrying about who shares the credit. Just look at the Warriors.

If anyone has proven that he shares credit it's Magic.

Jeannie takes a beating around here...not without reason in every instance...but far more than she deserves imo.

We are now a well run organization for the 1st time since Dr. Buss passed and that is thanks to Jeannie having the stones to weather her brother's hubris and then pull the trigger on completely revamping the FO.

When you see Magic and the entire staff scouting players as a team you start to understand the secret to Magic's success as a business owner...he includes everyone and makes sure that he hires the best people to support his decision making.

Remember he learned from the best...Dr. Buss.

#BannersOverBillboards
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: