Ask Jeanie Buss Questions June 5 at noon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
So basically, "Magic is a good enough basketball mind that we don't need Jerry's help.":

Oof.

I think her point is to give Magic a chance first, let's see what he can do without muddying the waters, where you can't tell who is responsible for what.

Look, I love West, he was my first hero, I watched his entire career from his opening minute. I get him. But Jeannie runs this team and she has a valid point, whether you like it or not. She talks this over with her other active family members, as well as Magic and Rob, I would presume. They all decide what they want to do. Honestly, if they have all decided against bringing West in at this time, no problem from me. I don't own the team. I am more than happy that they finally got rid of Jim, not as thrilled that Mitch ended out a part of that, but respect the decision. That was the way the ball bounced.

West left us while we were winning rings under Jackson, I would NEVER return those rings so that we could have kept West. It was his decision and he has to live that. We did! Life will go on. While I would be happy to have him back in the fold, him not being hired is not going to make me feel negative about Jeannie, Magic or the rest of the Buss family.

Unless Jim had done it, then it would be all guns fire at will, amirite?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

That's kind of like a circular firing squad of takes there.

Quote:
We are now a well run organization for the 1st time since Dr. Buss passed and that is thanks to Jeannie having the stones to weather her brother's hubris and then pull the trigger on completely revamping the FO.

So the previous Fo sucked and needed to be revamped partially because they didn't do things as a team:

Quote:
When you see Magic and the entire staff scouting players as a team you start to understand the secret to Magic's success as a business owner...he includes everyone and makes sure that he hires the best people to support his decision making.

That works because you have Ryan and Jesse who apparently did all the leg work in the previous successful drafts, and somehow their work got through despite not being involved as a team.

Incidentally, Ryan is great because he learned things from the best, his father. But his father wants to be hired and they don't want him, so apparently he isn't one of the best.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wino wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
So basically, "Magic is a good enough basketball mind that we don't need Jerry's help.":

Oof.

I think her point is to give Magic a chance first, let's see what he can do without muddying the waters, where you can't tell who is responsible for what.

Look, I love West, he was my first hero, I watched his entire career from his opening minute. I get him. But Jeannie runs this team and she has a valid point, whether you like it or not. She talks this over with her other active family members, as well as Magic and Rob, I would presume. They all decide what they want to do. Honestly, if they have all decided against bringing West in at this time, no problem from me. I don't own the team. I am more than happy that they finally got rid of Jim, not as thrilled that Mitch ended out a part of that, but respect the decision. That was the way the ball bounced.

West left us while we were winning rings under Jackson, I would NEVER return those rings so that we could have kept West. It was his decision and he has to live that. We did! Life will go on. While I would be happy to have him back in the fold, him not being hired is not going to make me feel negative about Jeannie, Magic or the rest of the Buss family.

Unless Jim had done it, then it would be all guns fire at will, amirite?

but Jim would have done it for himself; no we don't need West cuz i'm here.

bag o chips.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject:

end of the day laker fans should be happy.

if you believe in Jwests' opinion; he's gone from commenting on the circus to basically admitting he sees something here with this team and Jeanie's onto something. Enough so that he wants back in.

You would think with his history with Pjax he'd have been all in on Jim. But he never peeped a word like this.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
According to some of the media people who frequent Staples the wifi is horrible. Compared to newer facilities, it is an antique. Adding that to your question might be appropriate.

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. It's kinda crazy to me that Staples is already 17 years old, and is kind of an old stadium. Feels like it opened yesterday.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject:

any website for the interview transcript to read?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping west can have a stake in the team. Get that pharmacist out put west in
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

It is getting harder and harder to find actual written material these days. I guess it is easier to make a pod cast than it is to write and edit an actual article.

I know this was a TV broadcast so it does not apply to this situation, but LFR and Pincus now seem to be audio only. I hate wearing headphones. I would rather read.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Wino wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
So basically, "Magic is a good enough basketball mind that we don't need Jerry's help."

Oof.

It's not about feelings or sentiment. Well run organizations can add talent without worrying about who shares the credit. Just look at the Warriors.

If anyone has proven that he shares credit it's Magic.

Jeannie takes a beating around here...not without reason in every instance...but far more than she deserves imo.

We are now a well run organization for the 1st time since Dr. Buss passed and that is thanks to Jeannie having the stones to weather her brother's hubris and then pull the trigger on completely revamping the FO.

When you see Magic and the entire staff scouting players as a team you start to understand the secret to Magic's success as a business owner...he includes everyone and makes sure that he hires the best people to support his decision making.

Remember he learned from the best...Dr. Buss.

In this case it is evident that he didn't and the reason according to Jeanie was because Magic wants to do it himself. That is pretty much the opposite of sharing credit.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:

if you believe in Jwests' opinion; he's gone from commenting on the circus to basically admitting he sees something here with this team and Jeanie's onto something. Enough so that he wants back in.

You would think with his history with Pjax he'd have been all in on Jim. But he never peeped a word like this.

It is actually the opposite, Jerry wasn't interested before because Mitch was here. The guy he groomed and trained for 20 years. Now Mitch is gone and Jerry sees rookies with a combined 0 years of FO experience and thinks he can help. Only they want no help so he will likely stay with the Warriors, they will continue to be in the Finals and the Lakers will continue to struggle for the playoffs
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

So Kobe is the first person Magic would call and is going to be involved.

Cap is in talks to have some kind of role.

Even Lamar Odom is invited to practices.

But there's no room for Jerry West...

Being cautiously optimistic I do feel the new regime has been going great with their revamping of the analytics and training staff, etc.

But not bringing West back when you had the chance is worse than not bringing Phil back when you had the chance. The hypocrisy of Jeannie and Magic is astounding...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

It is actually the opposite, Jerry wasn't interested before because Mitch was here. The guy he groomed and trained for 20 years. Now Mitch is gone and Jerry sees rookies with a combined 0 years of FO experience and thinks he can help. Only they want no help so he will likely stay with the Warriors, they will continue to be in the Finals and the Lakers will continue to struggle for the playoffs

Or maybe he perked up with PJ and Jeanie finally broke up.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Or maybe he perked up with PJ and Jeanie finally broke up.

see's a positive opportunity here with people he'd like to work with.

Not bad for a bunch of rookies.
VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Jeanie looked away/down after answering the question about JWest. To me, it seems that it was not an answer that comes from her heart. I believe she would have taken JWest back, if not for Magic's objection.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

VincentTH wrote:
Jeanie looked away/down after answering the question about JWest. To me, it seems that it was not an answer that comes from her heart. I believe she would have taken JWest back, if not for Magic's objection.

So she can fire her brother but not bring in the Logo? I find it hard to believe.

Really depressing to hear they've outright rejected Jerry West.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Dr. Funkbot"]
governator wrote:

It is getting harder and harder to find actual written material these days. I guess it is easier to make a pod cast than it is to write and edit an actual article.

I know this was a TV broadcast so it does not apply to this situation, but LFR and Pincus now seem to be audio only. I hate wearing headphones. I would rather read.[/quote

Me 2, I simply don't find that a podcast stimulates my thinking as reading does. Reading and interacting with the written word has been my primary choice from the time I read my first Herald Examiner. For those of you who can go back that far.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
According to some of the media people who frequent Staples the wifi is horrible. Compared to newer facilities, it is an antique. Adding that to your question might be appropriate.

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. It's kinda crazy to me that Staples is already 17 years old, and is kind of an old stadium. Feels like it opened yesterday.

Agree. If I'm not mistaken Dodger Stadium is the third oldest baseball venue. That also seems strange as only Wrigly and Fenway are older, ballparks of the same era the Dodgers left behind in Brooklyn (Ebbets Field) to come west.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LakerDYnasty72"]
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
governator wrote:

I know this was a TV broadcast so it does not apply to this situation, but LFR and Pincus now seem to be audio only. I hate wearing headphones. I would rather read.[/quote

Me 2, I simply don't find that a podcast stimulates my thinking as reading does. Reading and interacting with the written word has been my primary choice from the time I read my first Herald Examiner. For those of you who can go back that far.

The golden age of sports journalism in LA
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
That's kind of like a circular firing squad of takes there.

Quote:

So the previous Fo sucked and needed to be revamped partially because they didn't do things as a team:

Quote:

That works because you have Ryan and Jesse who apparently did all the leg work in the previous successful drafts, and somehow their work got through despite not being involved as a team.

Incidentally, Ryan is great because he learned things from the best, his father. But his father wants to be hired and they don't want him, so apparently he isn't one of the best.

Not sure where you're going with this?

Jesse was the one who warned Jeannie that Jim and Mitch were about to trade away the core for Boogie and that she needed to step in.

Jim and Mitch were fired because Jim went against the family and sign not 1 but 2 older players to above market value contracts rather than maintain the very cap flexibility we had been waiting to have.

Jim and Mitch kept Jeannie in the dark...that's not how good organizations are run and they both deserved to be fired for the Deng and Moz deals alone.

That's what I see and I'm not going to debate this here because it's pointless at this point, but the perception of the organization is much better than it has been in YEARS thanks to Magic and Rob. Everything appears to be 1st class across the board, they've expanded their scouting departments while retaining the key pieces like Ryan West, and the outward appearance is that everyone is contributing to a thorough investigation of every player.

Magic is a great leader...Jim wasn't...not sure how much more evidence anyone would need to come to these basic conclusions.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Can you substantiate this opinion?

Because the quote Jerry gave was about retiring a Laker which seems much more self-interested than altruistic.

Why does he need to work at 79 after 50+ years in the NBA without many breaks?

If he were to consult...what would he actually do? Help with FA acquisitions more than Magic, Rob, and Kobe? Help with the draft more than Ryan and Jesse have already proven entirely capable of?

Or be a feel good figure head so fans feel like the band is getting back together? What would you pay him $1-2M when you already have the people you hoped to have?

Jerry was awesome...but, beyond sentimental value, can you tell me what he brings to the organization at this juncture in his life that we don't already have covered?

#BannersOverBillboards
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Because the quote Jerry gave was about retiring a Laker which seems much more self-interested than altruistic.

If he were to consult...what would he actually do? Help with FA acquisitions more than Magic, Rob, and Kobe? Help with the draft more than Ryan and Jesse have already proven entirely capable of?

Or be a feel good figure head so fans feel like the band is getting back together? What would you pay him $1-2M when you already have the people you hoped to have?

Jerry was awesome...but, beyond sentimental value, can you tell me what he brings to the organization at this juncture in his life that we don't already have covered?

You are using logic when the motivations of the detractors (IMO) are 2-fold:

1 - Nostalgia. The Logo reminds them of "The Good Old Days."
2 - Refocused anger from the Jim Buss firing - people are putting Jeannie/Magic under an electron microscope to find faults.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

Are you serious? Uh, yes? He would help with the draft. He would help build a vision. He would help with FA. It cannot hurt to have one of the greatest basketball minds. If all West does in 5 years is stop the Lakers from making a mistake like trading Thompson for Love, then that's already worth its weight in gold.

Dr. Laker wrote:

2 - Refocused anger from the Jim Buss firing - people are putting Jeannie/Magic under an electron microscope to find faults.

Au contraire, everyone would have roasted Jim Buss or really anyone else for not hiring Jerry freaking West for no reason whatsoever. In fact, it seems like the only people who are defending this move are the ones who were the loudest critics of Jim Buss. Really, you're projecting your own motivations (in defending this decision) onto those critical of this decision.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Yes on the bolded, that is what he does in Golden State. What does he bring to an organization? Did you just crawl out from under a rock? Hell yes he can help more with FA acquisitions than Magic, Rob and Kobe. He has done it for decades, they have never done it. We have titles because he could do it. You can have all the blind faith you want, but if Magic's ego is too big to accept help from the best (as he said was his style, which was obviously a lie), but all Laker fans will suffer through his decision making. I give Magic some leeway because he really hasn't had too many decisions to make, this is the first big one that he totally blew.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Quite honestly one of the least informed posts here.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Yes on the bolded, that is what he does in Golden State. What does he bring to an organization? Did you just crawl out from under a rock? Hell yes he can help more with FA acquisitions than Magic, Rob and Kobe. He has done it for decades, they have never done it. We have titles because he could do it. You can have all the blind faith you want, but if Magic's ego is too big to accept help from the best (as he said was his style, which was obviously a lie), but all Laker fans will suffer through his decision making. I give Magic some leeway because he really hasn't had too many decisions to make, this is the first big one that he totally blew.
We are doing a lot of guessing and hoping. From what I have found, this appears to be the situation

A few months ago, a source close to West indicated he might be intrigued if the Lakers were interested in bringing him on in an advisory role. But with the advent of Magic Johnson’s takeover and the hiring of new GM Rob Pelinka, that does not seem to be a possibility and I don’t think West would be interested any more even if it was.
http://hoopshype.com/storyline/jerry-west-to-lakers/

PLUS

There is a growing sense that West and the Warriors are headed toward agreeing to extend his relationship with the franchise –Lacob confirmed he and West have spoken about a new contract and have now paused the discussions until after the Finals–but nothing has been finalized.
http://hoopshype.com/storyline/jerry-west-to-lakers/

It appears to be a lot about nothing (nod to Shakespeare)

Is The Logo an invaluable resource - YES
Has The Logo been perfect - Nope (Magic vs Moncrief)
Is The Logo continue working with the Dubs - YES

People are entitled to their opinion that Magic's ego won't allow him to accept advise from the best. A close look at how Magic has conducted his businesses outside of basketball will provide multiple confirmation of his perspectives in hiring the best

Has Magic been perfect - just look at his Magic Show and his time as coach.
Does Magic deserve the opportunity, yes
Does Magic and Rob know how to judge players, yes
Does Ryan West know how to judge talent, yes
Does Rob know how the salary cap works, yes
Has there been a track record of great success that a former agent can be a successful GM, yes - one just has to look at the Warriors' Bob Meyers (http://www.businessinsider.com/former-agent-bob-myers-named-general-manager-of-the-golden-state-warriors-2012-5)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: