BI: Millenials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: BI: Millenials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Quote:

Casual dining is in danger — and millennials are to blame.

Brands such as TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesday, and Applebee's have faced sales slumps and dozens of restaurant closures, as casual dining chains have struggled to attract customers and grow sales.

"Casual-dining restaurants face a uniquely challenging market today," Buffalo Wild Wings CEO Sally Smith recently wrote in a letter to shareholders.

According to Smith, these sit-down restaurants' struggles can blamed on the most-frequently besmirched generation: millennials.

"Millennial consumers are more attracted than their elders to cooking at home, ordering delivery from restaurants and eating quickly, in fast-casual or quick-serve restaurants," Smith wrote.

While blaming millennials has become a trend to the point of cliche in retail, Smith isn't wrong to zero in on younger customers' changing tastes as a major factor in casual dining's downfall.

"Now, there's many, many options that people are replacing chains with," Victor Fernandez, restaurant industry tracker TDn2K's executive director of insights, recently told Business Insider.

Many of these options involve cooking at home. Grocery chains are increasingly competing with restaurants, thanks to lower prices and perks such as pick-up and delivery, new technology, and trendy features like wine bars and to-go meals. Plus, meal delivery kits such as Blue Apron are focused on getting millennials on a subscription plan that will convince them to stay in and cook a certain number of days a week.

Convenience is also a factor, both when it comes to delivery and speed of service. And casual dining chains are still playing catch-up with regards to delivery.

"The only part of casual dining that’s growing right now is the off premise side," said Bonnie Riggs, foodservice industry analyst for NPD, recently told Nation's Restaurant News.

Cheesecake Factory announced earlier this year it is expanding delivery to half of its 194 US locations through DoorDash, a third party delivery service. T.G.I. Fridays, Chili's, and Maggiano's are all now on Grubhub, and Buffalo Wild Wings and Red Robin are testing the service. Outback Steakhouse is using both third-party services and building its own delivery service.

While delivery is clearly a compelling option to offer, it isn't a simple service for restaurants to add. Customers often spend less when ordering delivery, especially at casual dining chains that rely on alcohol orders to drive sales. In-house delivery means added complexities, paying drivers, and additional insurance costs. Using a third-party means losing control over the food's quality.

Then, there are the more convenient chains that have drawn millennial customers away from casual dining options.

The growth of fast-casual chains such as Chipotle and Panera have been especially harmful. These chains manage to bring both convenience and lower prices to millennial customers, who are less enthused about spending more money just for the "experience" of sitting in a booth at a casual dining joint.

The fast-casual industry grew by 550% from 1999 to 2014, The Washington Post reported. By 2020, the fast-casual market in the US is expected to reach $66.9 billion, according to the market-research company Technavio.

"They have more of a healthy perception, there's quicker service times," Wedbush analyst Colin Radke told Business Insider in March. "The healthiness and the speed of service — that's been taking market share from casual dining."

Specific trends aside, when Smith says that millennials tastes differ from what casual dining chains can offer, she's avoiding a more blunt statement: that casual dining brands just aren't cool any more.

"When you look at the alternatives out there in the marketplace today and who's creating buzz and creating excitement, it's gone away from chain casual dining," John Antioco, TGI Fridays CEO who is attempting to rebrand the chain as a gastropub, told Business Insider.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...aurants-2017-5
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Maybe make better products?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

Welcome to capitalism, (bleep). *Jesse Pinkman voice*
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Yep.

I've preferred cooking at home, or if I do eat out...it's either something non-chain related or I grab it to go.

I feel those casual restaurants have a place though, if you simply want to grab quick food and drink - its an easy go to those places with someone since everyone knows about the food you'll get.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Its a changing world, I would say adapt or die, but some of these chains are destined to die because their business model was based on the previous generations dining and spending behaviors. Its also a reason why I think many malls will end up shutting down because everyone is buying online nowadays, nobody has time to driving around looking for bargains when they can do it sitting behind the computer.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Friends coming to watch the game today. Broke out my Philips AirFryer. Got a bunch of chicken wings and gonna do some hot wings and french fried potatoes. I do most of my own cooking. Got a taquito recipe from CL that I use frequently.

Once you get the hang of a airfryer you probably will eat a lot healthier. Also I use a power pressure cooker. Finger lickin good. With the modern cooking appliance on the market today, standing over a stove is a thing of the past.

Hardest part is prepping.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Do the nurses at the facility help with the clean up?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I've seen a lot of millennial bashing in the past, but this take the cakes. It's not just millennial who are changing their dining habits. It's just about everyone.

Times change and the way consumers go about their business does as well. There are far more options for dining than there were in previous years. The stratification of said options is now composed of many more layers than it was 10/20 years ago. as those layers increased, the pool of consumers for any one layer is going to decrease.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Boohoo
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Simple fix here to reclaim the millennials: let the customers cook their own food, let them pay in bitcoin or Venmo, advertise the restaurant as a "safe space" , re-brand as 'socially responsible', advertise using nothing but memes about bacon, remove the parking lot and instead turn into a garden and plant non gmo food for them to wander around with a basket while sipping sulfate free wine, and have a well lit Lyft drop off / pick up zone in front. Change the toilet paper to fine silk for their precious delicate bottoms and there you have it, you've now re-claimed the precious little entitled brats you so covet.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I've seen a lot of millennial bashing in the past, but this take the cakes. It's not just millennial who are changing their dining habits. It's just about everyone.

Times change and the way consumers go about their business does as well. There are far more options for dining than there was in previous years. The stratification of said options is now composed of many more layers than it was 10/20 years ago. as those layers increased, the pool of consumers for any one layer is going to decrease.

This. A good 40% of the business we receive atmy family restaurant comes from online orders since we started partnering with the various delivery companies in the past year. Some of it is cannibalizing our dine in customers but as an aggregate, it's been a game changer for us in a positive manner.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Simple fix here to reclaim the millennials: let the customers cook their own food, let them pay in bitcoin or Venmo, advertise the restaurant as a "safe space" , re-brand as 'socially responsible', advertise using nothing but memes about bacon, remove the parking lot and instead turn into a garden and plant non gmo food for them to wander around with a basket while sipping sulfate free wine, and have a well lit Lyft drop off / pick up zone in front. Change the toilet paper to fine silk for their precious delicate bottoms and there you have it, you've now re-claimed the precious little entitled brats you so covet.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Actually... might work in $illicon Valley
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Do the nurses at the facility help with the clean up?

Nah, my friends, unlike some I know, have class. They'll do the right thing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Friends coming to watch the game today. Broke out my Philips AirFryer. Got a bunch of chicken wings and gonna do some hot wings and french fried potatoes. I do most of my own cooking. Got a taquito recipe from CL that I use frequently.

Once you get the hang of a airfryer you probably will eat a lot healthier. Also I use a power pressure cooker. Finger lickin good. With the modern cooking appliance on the market today, standing over a stove is a thing of the past.

That's not an air fryer, that's the autoclave they use to sterilize your catheter...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's not an air fryer, that's the autoclave they use to sterilize your catheter...

You mean I'm gonna have to take you off my in house support person and use a autoclave? You're doing such a good job.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Chili's still rocking!
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Chili's still rocking!

I'm a millennial and I love Chili's
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
sure that might help. but millenials are broker than the rest of us were at our younger ages. a lot of us were already out of our parents homes and living on our own while a lot of them are still at home with their parents(just to expensive to be out their on your own for a lot of people nowadays.) So this will also lead to eating many more home cooked meals in your youth since mama is doing the cooking still. Yes they are cooking with blue apron and the likes. but lets not get carried away. They aint cooking like that. thats mama doing the cooking.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

People pay for food?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:

NB: I'm laughing at you, not with you.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Eventually anyone left on the planet will be a millennial and these articles blaming them for everything will become true.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Millenials are also coming into a world where they are carrying huge debts from college, can't afford to buy a new car or home because the costs have skyrocketed from the "good old days".
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

ahh looks like I hit a nerve with someone. Make a sad bear meme, you will feel better about it. Then persicope yourself while you update your snap about this grave injustice.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
tox wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

ahh looks like I hit a nerve with someone. Make a sad bear meme, you will feel better about it. Then persicope yourself while you update your snap about this grave injustice.

Weirdly aggressive. Clearly a cuck snowflake.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: