2017-18 Los Angeles Kings Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Vegas had a 3-2 lead after 2 periods, but couldn't hold it. Devante Smith-Pelly, a former Duck, tied the game at 3, and then another former Duck, Luca Sbisa, whiffed on the puck for Vegas behind his own net, leading to the go-ahead goal. Oh, and former King Brayden McNabb took a bad penalty earlier in the game, leading to an Ovechkin PP goal.

Happy for Ovechkin that he got to lift the Cup. He's an all-time great.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Happy for Ovechkin that he got to lift the Cup. He's an all-time great.

You could tell how much it meant to him when he hoisted it. That emotion was real.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Good. Glad that Washington finally won it, even though they don't have Mr. Game 7 Justin Williams on the team. Now the Kings can focus on the draft and start building up their near empty pipeline with some blue-chippers. Management has a ton of work to build a contender.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Washington looked like they really wanted it. They weren’t one of those teams that is just happy to be in the finals.

Going into the series, Vegas was favored and I wonder if they felt a little too much satisfaction just making it to the final. It was the first time people thought they would win. But people thought Tampa would beat Washington too and they got wrecked after they were up 3-2 in the series.

Washington finally got it done. Wish I could say that about the Dodgers.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject:

Something interesting to note for us Kings fans...

Darren Dreger

Verified account

@DarrenDreger
14h
14 hours ago

More
Ilya Kovalchuk in California this weekend. Visited with the LA Kings yesterday and will meet with the Sharks tomorrow.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Washington head coach Trotz resigns.

Dave Tippett hired for the new Seattle group.

LA Kings have their work cut out for them. NHL draft is up next and then Drew Doughty's extension.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

NHL draft first round is going on right now. Interesting to see what prospects will be available when the Kings selection comes up.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject:

Well, the Kings got Kovalchuk. And apparently, we were close to acquiring Max Pacioretty during the draft. Oh, and Artemi Panarin is in the final year of his deal with Columbus, might be available, and has the Kings on his short list of preferences if he's dealt. Perhaps Rob Blake is really trying to address our lack of scoring punch, and if we did pick up another big-time scoring threat, I'm guessing that a defenseman like Muzzin could end up getting sent outward.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-eyes-john-tavares-ufa-interview-period/
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

The Kings have signed Drew Doughty to a contract extension through 2027. Apparently the AAV is $11MM per season. Expensive, but he's obviously great. Hope this doesn't really hamstring us regarding the cap.
NachoLover2018
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject:

I won't be welcomed here since I am a Sharks fan LOL
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

BUMP!

I had to go about 40 pages in to find the last Kings thread lol. Some of you may know that the LA Kings are my favorite team, even ahead of the Lakers and Dodgers. We're back, baby! What a season, even with all the injuries, just to make the playoffs. Won our first playoff game tonight since 2016. So many good young players. The future is bright!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
BUMP!

I had to go about 40 pages in to find the last Kings thread lol. Some of you may know that the LA Kings are my favorite team, even ahead of the Lakers and Dodgers. We're back, baby! What a season, even with all the injuries, just to make the playoffs. Won our first playoff game tonight since 2016. So many good young players. The future is bright!

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
BUMP!

GKG! (But that McDavid goal to end the first was something else.)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Just saw the win when I hopped on Yahoo. I have NO knowledge of hockey but gotta rep LA homies. Let's go!

CnStu - Are they really good this year? I remember that Stanley Cup run a few years back where they were having comeback after comeback.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
BUMP!

I am so pissed at the string of injuries we had back there in such a short span or I’d really be dreaming about the cup right now. Nonetheless this team plays 120% max effort and are very fun to watch. Just happy to be here and they deserve it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Just saw the win when I hopped on Yahoo. I have NO knowledge of hockey but gotta rep LA homies. Let's go!

CnStu - Are they really good this year? I remember that Stanley Cup run a few years back where they were having comeback after comeback.

OK, long post alert, so bear with me...

So the Kings basically hit the end of their rebuild this season, and I'd say we made the playoffs unexpectedly this season. Especially as the season unfolded, because we lost a lot of guys at various times due to injuries. Doughty was having a Norris Trophy kind of season before hurting his wrist about halfway through the season, and he had to have surgery and he's out for the rest of the season. Dustin Brown missed something like 15-20 games with a broken finger. We lost Daniel Arvidsson, a nice free agent pickup, for a while, and he actually missed the Game 1 win tonight with an injury; he's considered day-to-day and may play in Game 2. We lost our best young lefty D man, Mikey Anderson, for a long stretch as well, and he returned just before the end of the regular season and is back in the lineup.

I mentioned Arvidsson, but the main key free agent pickup last offseason was Phillip Danault, who scored a career-high 27 goals and was brought in for his outstanding two-way play, similar to Kopitar at his height. The 2nd line of Danault-Arvidsson-Trevor Moore has easily been our best line this season. The goaltending was so-so for most of this season between Quick and Cal Petersen, with both guys starting about the same number of games, until there were about 10 games or so to go. Quick seized control of the gig and has been playing some of his best hockey in years down the stretch.

What's exciting about this team going forward is that there are a lot of young guys who weren't even expected to play at the NHL level this season, and not only have they had to play due to our injuries, but they've played and done well for us. We have a massive logjam of young, talented right-handed defensemen that we are going to have to address next season, because there's no way we can keep all of them. The Danault line looks golden, but Kopitar looks like he's slowing down, and the power play has been awful all season long. For some reason we keep playing Kopitar and Iafallo on the top PP unit and there's far too much useless puck possession on the PP when you need dynamic shot creation and shot-making on the PP. We've actually been one of the best teams in the NHL 5-on-5 this season, but the horrible PP has hurt us, and the penalty kill hasn't been great this year either, frankly. Looking forward to next season, we need better special teams play for sure, but we have established an identity again 5-on-5 and we're tough to play against.

It would be a major Cinderella run if we get far in the playoffs, as we don't have the type of firepower that we did in those 2012-2016 years when we were a strong contender. But we really do have a lot of good young guys. Adrian Kempe broke out with 35 goals on the Kopitar line. Andreas Athanasiou has looked good whenever he's been able to play, and he's playing right now on the top line with Kopitar and Kempe. Arthur Kaliyev is big, fast, and has a wicked wrist shot. Quinton Byfield, the #2 overall pick in the 2020 Draft, is only 19 and has been a fixture in the lineup on the 3rd or 4th line for a few months now, and he's centering the 4th line and has shown some good chemistry with Kaliyev, who is only 20 himself. After Doughty went down, Sean Durzi and Noah Spence have really stepped up on defense; Durzi is 23 and Spence is 21.

We've also gotten strong seasons from veteran defensemen Olli Maatta (though he's still just 27) and Alex Edler, who is 36. All in all, we're definitely over the hump of the "bad" hockey we had to watch for most of the last 4 years or so. Last year we were actually pretty competitive, but clearly not there yet. Now it feels like we're at a place where, with the right offseason moves, we can really start to make some noise as we move forward.

Oh, and in case you missed it, Dustin Brown announced last week that he's retiring at the end of the playoffs. This is it for him. So the "Core Four" of Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, and Brown that are still there from the Stanley Cup teams will be down to three. Win it for Brownie!

GO KINGS GO!
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
BUMP!

Let's go Kings!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
BUMP!

The Kings had a great season and will make some noise in the playoffs. Hopefully they match up with my Blues and we can have some light hearted banter. My general rule of thumb is that when my team is out, I cheer for the local team. So if the Blues are eliminated, go Kings!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject:

whoa, back from the dead!

2017-18 Kings thread, wowo
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

OK, long post alert, so bear with me...

So the Kings basically hit the end of their rebuild this season, and I'd say we made the playoffs unexpectedly this season. Especially as the season unfolded, because we lost a lot of guys at various times due to injuries. Doughty was having a Norris Trophy kind of season before hurting his wrist about halfway through the season, and he had to have surgery and he's out for the rest of the season. Dustin Brown missed something like 15-20 games with a broken finger. We lost Daniel Arvidsson, a nice free agent pickup, for a while, and he actually missed the Game 1 win tonight with an injury; he's considered day-to-day and may play in Game 2. We lost our best young lefty D man, Mikey Anderson, for a long stretch as well, and he returned just before the end of the regular season and is back in the lineup.

I mentioned Arvidsson, but the main key free agent pickup last offseason was Phillip Danault, who scored a career-high 27 goals and was brought in for his outstanding two-way play, similar to Kopitar at his height. The 2nd line of Danault-Arvidsson-Trevor Moore has easily been our best line this season. The goaltending was so-so for most of this season between Quick and Cal Petersen, with both guys starting about the same number of games, until there were about 10 games or so to go. Quick seized control of the gig and has been playing some of his best hockey in years down the stretch.

What's exciting about this team going forward is that there are a lot of young guys who weren't even expected to play at the NHL level this season, and not only have they had to play due to our injuries, but they've played and done well for us. We have a massive logjam of young, talented right-handed defensemen that we are going to have to address next season, because there's no way we can keep all of them. The Danault line looks golden, but Kopitar looks like he's slowing down, and the power play has been awful all season long. For some reason we keep playing Kopitar and Iafallo on the top PP unit and there's far too much useless puck possession on the PP when you need dynamic shot creation and shot-making on the PP. We've actually been one of the best teams in the NHL 5-on-5 this season, but the horrible PP has hurt us, and the penalty kill hasn't been great this year either, frankly. Looking forward to next season, we need better special teams play for sure, but we have established an identity again 5-on-5 and we're tough to play against.

It would be a major Cinderella run if we get far in the playoffs, as we don't have the type of firepower that we did in those 2012-2016 years when we were a strong contender. But we really do have a lot of good young guys. Adrian Kempe broke out with 35 goals on the Kopitar line. Andreas Athanasiou has looked good whenever he's been able to play, and he's playing right now on the top line with Kopitar and Kempe. Arthur Kaliyev is big, fast, and has a wicked wrist shot. Quinton Byfield, the #2 overall pick in the 2020 Draft, is only 19 and has been a fixture in the lineup on the 3rd or 4th line for a few months now, and he's centering the 4th line and has shown some good chemistry with Kaliyev, who is only 20 himself. After Doughty went down, Sean Durzi and Noah Spence have really stepped up on defense; Durzi is 23 and Spence is 21.

We've also gotten strong seasons from veteran defensemen Olli Maatta (though he's still just 27) and Alex Edler, who is 36. All in all, we're definitely over the hump of the "bad" hockey we had to watch for most of the last 4 years or so. Last year we were actually pretty competitive, but clearly not there yet. Now it feels like we're at a place where, with the right offseason moves, we can really start to make some noise as we move forward.

Oh, and in case you missed it, Dustin Brown announced last week that he's retiring at the end of the playoffs. This is it for him. So the "Core Four" of Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, and Brown that are still there from the Stanley Cup teams will be down to three. Win it for Brownie!

GO KINGS GO!

So like the 94-95 Lakers?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

^
Except we still have 4 core members of the two Cup-winning teams, although one, Doughty, can't play due to injury.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Wow, what a bump.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject:

GO KINGS GO!

It would be sweet to see Dustin Brown go out with a 3rd Cup.....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Since I had to bump this thread, the Kings have been outscored 14-2 over the last 2 games.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Since I had to bump this thread, the Kings have been outscored 14-2 over the last 2 games.

Hopefully, they won 1 game 1-0 and lost one game 14-1...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: