I wrote a children's book, in case any of you are interested

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: I wrote a children's book, in case any of you are interested

After a couple years in the works, I self published my first book and just finished creating a web store for it, which is linked below.

www.bubblegumbook.com

Use the following code for 20% off your entire order: LG20

lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I wrote a children's book, in case any of you are interested

McSassy wrote:
After a couple years in the works, I self published my first book and just finished creating a web store for it, which is linked below.

www.bubblegumbook.com

Use the following code for 20% off your entire order: LG20

Looks pretty awesome, I like the illustrations as well.

Great job.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Ya I really like the lettering and the illustrations, definitely an eye catcher
McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the compliments!

The illustrations were a joint effort between a friend of mine and I...we are both artists/graphic designers. That process took about six months of sending drawings back and forth until everything was perfect. As for the book itself, I wrote, composed and edited it.

All in all, it's been a fun learning experience so far (it's been something I've wanted to do since I was a kid) and I look forward to hopefully doing more works in the future!
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

holy (bleep) it's real

I remember the kickstarter for it and vividly remember declining to contribute

congrats man!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Nice job
McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I remember the kickstarter for it and vividly remember declining to contribute

congrats man!

Thanks dude!
McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Nice job

Thanks, DancingBaby
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

This looks pretty good. What was the process like from the initial idea to publishing?
McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

IPK wrote:

This looks pretty good. What was the process like from the initial idea to publishing?

Hey, thanks!

So...I was spending time with my little cousin a few years ago and told her I had been wanting to write a children's book. I asked her if she wanted to help me with it and her only input/idea was that I should "write a book about bubble gum".

About a year after that, I came up with the story when I had a little more free time in my life and wrote out the story on paper originally. I revised it over a few weeks until I got the story laid out to a point where it could be a full on children's book (which are typically 32 pages of main content).

I researched the process of getting it published and it seemed like it would be next to impossible to get it picked up by a publishing house, while even then, they would likely choose an illustrator themselves and have it visually constructed without any input from me, the author.

So, I opted to illustrate it myself with the help of a friend (I'd seen her work before) and knew she could do something close to a comic like style sort of like Peanuts or Calvin & Hobbes. My main vision was to have the style be akin to the newer street fighter games in how they have the water color splatter and element of grunge to it. I felt like having that combination would give it a unique "kiddy feel".

We started with concept drawings to create aspects, settings and overall art style that we traded back and forth until deciding on a main theme to start with. From there, we did rough black and white outline drafts for a while until the skeleton of it was roughly completed for the most part. Then we started to "color in" the black and whites...amongst that process, there was a lot of redrawing, added elements including shading and various graphic adjustments.

The whole thing pretty much was done in photoshop...the illustrations, composition, layout, design; getting it ready for print, etc...and I used some help via friends and family through Kickstarter to raise part of the money I required for self publishing the book (which cost A LOT) -- I'm hoping to at least break even for now. I know the price tag may seem a bit steep, but some mass produced children's books these days are running upwards of close to $20 per copy, which is what it would come out to using the code I made for you guys here and I'm sure the printing costs for those are MUCH lower than what mine were due to quantity (I printed roughly 1000 copies).

So far, I've been selling them via readings at schools and doing personalized book signings right there for the kids. The interactive page is a great part of it because it allows the kid to write their own little blurb and/or draw a picture, lending it a sense of sentimental value that can be held onto for life. I put a lot of work into the store I made for it (which also allows the customer to have that option of having the book personalized for them) hoping that that'll be the main source of sales, since Amazon takes such a large cut that I wouldn't make any profit really after they take their portion from fees.

It's been a long journey and I've learned a lot from the experience thus far. I've read it and seen it so many times, that I've sort of started becoming sick of it, so when I see people's positive reactions to it and receive e-mails from happy customers praising it, it really reignites my heart and passion for it all.

I hope this answers any questions you had and if you're thinking of doing a similar project yourself, I would be more than glad to provide help/advice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: