Marvel's Black Panther
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Saw it tonight and I loved it for SEVERAL different reasons. Top tier MCU movie for me and I’m a MCU junkie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

'Black Panther' set for record February opening after pulling in $25.2-million Thursday night

Quote:
"Black Panther," the latest superhero blockbuster from Marvel Studios, grossed a massive $25.2 million in ticket sales from preview shows Thursday in the U.S. and Canada to set a February record, according to studio estimates.

The Thursday night result for "Black Panther" nearly doubled the previous February box office preview record holder, 20th Century Fox's "Deadpool," which opened with $12.7 million on its first night in 2016. It's also the second-highest box office haul ever for a Marvel film opening, coming in just behind 2015's "Avengers: Age of Ultron" ($27.6 million).

Quote:
"Black Panther" is poised to easily become the biggest February release ever, not adjusting for ticket price inflation. Through Monday, the movie is projected to gross roughly $185 million, according to early studio estimates. "Deadpool" set the current record for the month two years ago, tallying $152 million over the Presidents Day weekend.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Will see again because it’s important to me to support movies like this. And I love MCU movies haha
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject:

Great movie. Not an average popcorn flick.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

Is that goofy as last Thor movie? I am not gonna waste any more money/time for those kinds of movies.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Is that goofy as last Thor movie? I am not gonna waste any more money/time for those kinds of movies.

no more serious tone than Ragnarok
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Saw it this afternoon.

It was great. 👍👍👍
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Saw it last night. Thought it was really good. It has the Marvel action, but it feels like a better-developed story, so you have to give credit to Ryan Coogler.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I saw it earlier today, and really liked it. Wouldn't mind seeing it again actually.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

One of the best MCU movies to date. Liked it just as much (or maybe more) than the latest Thor, and for entirely different reasons.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject:

I liked it.

It was good.

It is getting blown out of proportion that it's one of the all time greatest super hero movies. I don't think it is.

8/10 for me.

That said.

I'm very glad it's getting blown out of proportion and don't mind if they continue to do so.

I'll watch it again to support the cause.

Thanks,

CB
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
I am incredibly hyped for this movie. The trailer delivered in spades; I hope the movie can follow suit.

SPOILER: The movie followed suit.

Insanely good movie and an epic cast. Also a villain nearly as compelling as Loki who was also much easier to empathize with.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to see this. HUGE fan of Michael B Jordan after watching Creed.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Same director as Creed (also Fruitvale Station). It was definitely well done and I'd tab it just under the Iron Man and Cap films for me.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I am in that fan club also, I must say. As well as the Chadwick Boseman fan club, since his portrayal of Jackie Robinson in "42."
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

5/10

not garbage like the Thor sequels
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I actually think he was the worst part of the movie. I think he went too far with the character to where that character wasn't as believable as others. Still, if he's the worst thing in the movie, you'll take it because it means the movie was still pretty good.

However, while I liked Creed as well, I'm starting to turn on Jordan as an actor. In Creed, Fantastic Four and, in many ways, Black Panther, he's played the same part (abandoned in his youth, looking for redemption) and acted each part very similarly as well.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I actually think he was the worst part of the movie. I think he went too far with the character to where that character wasn't as believable as others. Still, if he's the worst thing in the movie, you'll take it because it means the movie was still pretty good.

However, while I liked Creed as well, I'm starting to turn on Jordan as an actor. In Creed, Fantastic Four and, in many ways, Black Panther, he's played the same part (abandoned in his youth, looking for redemption) and acted each part very similarly as well.

Michael B was definitely the weak point for me as well. He played a cliched villain and completely missed the opportunity to inject something that could leave the viewer feeling that there was something more to him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I am in that fan club also, I must say. As well as the Chadwick Boseman fan club, since his portrayal of Jackie Robinson in "42."

While his role was relatively small in comparison to the other male roles, I think Sterling K Brown was the bright spot. There's something about him that is always genuine and subtle compelling.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Good movie to watch high. Not aware of all the hype surrounding it, but I can say I definitely had a great time.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Lupita Nyong'o definitely made the movie even better for me.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

While his role was relatively small in comparison to the other male roles, I think Sterling K Brown was the bright spot. There's something about him that is always genuine and subtle compelling.

He's an absolutely fantastic actor.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Michael B was definitely the weak point for me as well. He played a cliched villain and completely missed the opportunity to inject something that could leave the viewer feeling that there was something more to him.

I thought it was perhaps a little bit over the top, but I love the guy, and he made me hate his character in the movie, so maybe there's something to be said for that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I thought it was perhaps a little bit over the top, but I love the guy, and he made me hate his character in the movie, so maybe there's something to be said for that.

I can see that. But to me, it's better storytelling if you don't completely hate the character and understand his motivations may have a level of purity that isn't completely sinister. Granted, the blame for that may not lie entirely on the performance, but the performance didn't help. And that's not to say it was a bad performance, just lacking in that extra layer. And that's not really meant as a slight. I think playing a truly compelling villain is one of the toughest performances to pull off. Just about anyone can play a bad guy. And there are those that elevate performance to inspire true hatred for the character - which he did. And then there are those who bring a villain to the level reluctant admiration of a sort with a hint of understanding and compassion for their viewpoint.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I can see that. But to me, it's better storytelling if you don't completely hate the character and understand his motivations may have a level of purity that isn't completely sinister. Granted, the blame for that may not lie entirely on the performance, but the performance didn't help. And that's not to say it was a bad performance, just lacking in that extra layer. And that's not really meant as a slight. I think playing a truly compelling villain is one of the toughest performances to pull off. Just about anyone can play a bad guy. And there are those that elevate performance to inspire true hatred for the character - which he did. And then there are those who bring a villain to the level reluctant admiration of a sort with a hint of understanding and compassion for their viewpoint.

Come on, DMR. Not everyone can pull off playing the villain like Alan Rickman did as Hans Gruber.

In all seriousness, what is the gold standard? Heath Ledger's Joker? Jack Nicholson's Joker? Cesar Romero's Joker? (I kid, I kid.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: