Marvel's Black Panther
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Spacey in seven always stands out to me as perfect villain/psychopath. Obviously, Heath Ledger's Joker was great, as was Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs (even if he wasn't a main villain).

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Kevin Spacey in seven always stands out to me as perfect villain/psychopath. Obviously, Heath Ledger's Joker was great, as was Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs (even if he wasn't a main villain).

If we just keep it to the superhero movie genre, these immediately come to my mind as villains:

--Ledger's Joker
--Nicholson's Joker
--Tom Hiddleston's Loki
--Samuel L. Jackson's Mr. Glass (even if he's only revealed as the villain at the end!)
--Ian McKellen's Magneto
--Michael Fassbender's Magneto
--Alfred Molina's Doctor Octopus
--Danny DeVito's Penguin

I know I've got to be missing a ton.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

^
Maybe Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Elijah Wood's character in Sin City.
Vincent DeNafrio's Kingpin in the Daredevil series.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Can't wait to see this. HUGE fan of Michael B Jordan after watching Creed.

I actually think he was the worst part of the movie. I think he went too far with the character to where that character wasn't as believable as others. Still, if he's the worst thing in the movie, you'll take it because it means the movie was still pretty good.

However, while I liked Creed as well, I'm starting to turn on Jordan as an actor. In Creed, Fantastic Four and, in many ways, Black Panther, he's played the same part (abandoned in his youth, looking for redemption) and acted each part very similarly as well.

Michael B was definitely the weak point for me as well. He played a cliched villain and completely missed the opportunity to inject something that could leave the viewer feeling that there was something more to him.

Was it his fault or the script he had to work with?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^

Personally I wasnt a huge fan of the earlier Batmans. Grossly overrated and as an avid comic guy since I was a kid, the villains were played EXACTLY in the fashion that made me cringe. They were caricatures of what the director/actor THOUGHT a comic book villain would act like.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

^First, my response is a slight spoiler, so don't read if you don't want to know.

To answer your question though, I think a little of both. What bothered me was his character was supposed to be highly educated, highly trained guy who comes off like an emotional 12 year old who didn't graduate high school, but somehow managed to become a martial arts expert. I didn't have a problem with his character's motives or his agenda, just his temperament and the way he expressed himself. It seemed too over the top and too much of a cliché. As DMR said, a good villain is put together, intelligent, has relatable motives (that are just twisted to an extreme) and maybe just a bit too cocky (which ends up being his/her downfall).

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Personally I wasnt a huge fan of the earlier Batmans. Grossly overrated and as an avid comic guy since I was a kid, the villains were played EXACTLY in the fashion that made me cringe. They were caricatures of what the director/actor THOUGHT a comic book villain would act like.

I disagree with you. They were a modern take on the Adam West versions of the villians, which were, at the time, a modern take on the original batman versions. The carciatures weren't DeVito's Penguin or Nicholson's Joker, but Arnold's Mr. Freeze and Jim Carrey's Ridler. Remember, before Tim Burton got his hands on Batman, the comic book movie was all but dead. He made comic books palatable to the general audience in the same way the original Superman did, but a decade and a half later.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

I disagree with you. They were a modern take on the Adam West versions of the villians, which were, at the time, a modern take on the original batman versions. The carciatures weren't DeVito's Penguin or Nicholson's Joker, but Arnold's Mr. Freeze and Jim Carrey's Ridler. Remember, before Tim Burton got his hands on Batman, the comic book movie was all but dead. He made comic books palatable to the general audience in the same way the original Superman did, but a decade and a half later.

It's true that they were a huge refresh over the Adam West (and other coomic book shows before them) but even when I was a kid, those Batman movies never sat well with me. They were all cartoony to me.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Come on, DMR. Not everyone can pull off playing the villain like Alan Rickman did as Hans Gruber.

Overrated . . . (just kidding. He's one I had in mind)

Quote:
In all seriousness, what is the gold standard? Heath Ledger's Joker? Jack Nicholson's Joker? Cesar Romero's Joker? (I kid, I kid.)

I'm not saying that he needed to be an elite cinema villain, just that this one was very stereotypical. And that was probably made more evident by how strong the other performances were.

And by the way. I am generally a fan of MBJ's work. It's not a knock on him overall.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I actually think he was the worst part of the movie. I think he went too far with the character to where that character wasn't as believable as others. Still, if he's the worst thing in the movie, you'll take it because it means the movie was still pretty good.

However, while I liked Creed as well, I'm starting to turn on Jordan as an actor. In Creed, Fantastic Four and, in many ways, Black Panther, he's played the same part (abandoned in his youth, looking for redemption) and acted each part very similarly as well.

Michael B was definitely the weak point for me as well. He played a cliched villain and completely missed the opportunity to inject something that could leave the viewer feeling that there was something more to him.

Well, as I said to CS, the blame may not be entirely on the performance, but the performance didn't help.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Well, as I said to CS, the blame may not be entirely on the performance, but the performance didn't help.

Gonna catch it this weekend (maybe early next) but I just wanted to chime in to say that I genuinely appreciate the thoughtful discussion critiquing the film and portrayal of characters.

Looking forward to joining the discussion.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I agree. At this point I feel like he's playing the same character in all of his movies. It definitely doesn't help pull you into the movie when you cant see a character, you just see the actor who is playing him.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Solid movie. Only bad stuff was shoddy CGI at times. Action scenes were ok but was hoping for a better villain. Top 5 of 7 Marvel movies. Much better than Thor 3 but still think Winter Soldier is best Marvel movie so far.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

(bleep) that (bleep) was too long.

I received moviepass as a Christmas gift. Anyone else use it? Nice to watch as many crappy movies as possible without the 14 dollar hit. Saw three billboards outside of e.m. last night. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Elijah Wood's character in Sin City.
Vincent DeNafrio's Kingpin in the Daredevil series.

I think he is doing a masterful job with that character. Looking forward to his role in S3.

I also loved David Tennant as Kilgrave. But that might just be because I'm a fan of his.

As for BP, is this more a stand alone or does it build to Infinity War?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

I received moviepass as a Christmas gift. Anyone else use it? Nice to watch as many crappy movies as possible without the 14 dollar hit. Saw three billboards outside of e.m. last night. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Wait, how does moviepass work?... You pay $7.95 per month and you get to watch unlimited movies in theaters? That's less than the price of a single ticket. What's the catch?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Is it weird that I felt more sympathy for Killmongerer than I did for T'Challa? Killmongerer was much better developed and had an understandable position and a coherent plan. T'Challa is basically just a dictator and it wasn't really clear why I should have been cheering for him.

Killmongerer won the ritual fight fair and square despite the tribal elder interfering. Why does this make him a villain?

And why does Nakia only save one heart-shaped herb? And why can't Killmongerer with his heightened abilities sense them taking it?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

Wait, how does moviepass work?... You pay $7.95 per month and you get to watch unlimited movies in theaters? That's less than the price of a single ticket. What's the catch?

That's exactly how it works. If you are going to see 2+ movies a month, it's a steal and worth getting. The only "negative' is you can't pre-order tickets...so really there is no catch. Theaters are showing the movie anyway, you can get in basically free and the theater is banking that you'll load up on concessions.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

That's exactly how it works. If you are going to see 2+ movies a month, it's a steal and worth getting. The only "negative' is you can't pre-order tickets...so really there is no catch. Theaters are showing the movie anyway, you can get in basically free and the theater is banking that you'll load up on concessions.

I'm down for the Pass. Me and the wife. For the reasons Dladi mentions.

The catch is you have to be within 100 yards of the theater when you make a purchase though right?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Huskers wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

The catch is you have to be within 100 yards of the theater when you make a purchase though right?

yeah you have to be at the theater.

I let my gf borrow mine while she's in Frisco and she used it when she went with her friends.

It works great and I have no complaints about it
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Huskers wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

I let my gf borrow mine while she's in Frisco and she used it when she went with her friends.

My local theater says "no passes" for certain titles. Does that apply to movie pass too? I want to sign up but it seems all the latest titles fall under that umbrella there.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised when I learned about about the very reasonable limitations. I'm an early showing kind of guy anyway so this will work nicely.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

My local theater says "no passes" for certain titles. Does that apply to movie pass too? I want to sign up but it seems all the latest titles fall under that umbrella there.

From what I've heard, there are some theaters that haven't gotten on board.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

From what I've heard, there are some theaters that haven't gotten on board.

Bummer. This theater is about 2 miles from my house. Would hvae been the perfect spot for a lazy weekend.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: