If LA Lakers Draft Lonzo Ball, Is D'Angelo Russell Out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
I will make this as short as possible. I'm tired of hearing about Ball, his father, the media, rumors & Laker fans thinking Ball is gonna be a Laker.

Magic & Luke know bout basketball & where the NBA is headed & who the competition is gonna be for next 10 years, so the Lakers ARE GOING TO DRAFT JOSH JACKSON!!! STOP THE NON SENSE TALK, it makes complete sense for us to draft a multi talented player who can play & defend so many positions more than the one dimensional Ball who is strictly a PG & nothing else!!!

We have to match up with Curry, Klay, KD & Green & DLO will be the PG/SG just like Curry is for Warriors, Ingram can play SG/SF, Clarkson can play PG/SG & let DLO be the SG, Jackson can be our version of Green once he adds some muscle & Randle can play the center spot with Zubac.

Once Josh gets his first season under belt a.k.a. Ingram, they both will be on the floor majority of time when it counts. We need another defender & Josh brings everything to the court unlike Ball who is so one dimensional. Just take into consideration how NBADRAFT.NET describes the two, Ball is described as a Jason Kidd type while Jackson is described as a Kwahi Leonard/Jimmy Butler type. com'on if you know the game of basketball it's no brainer.

PS: The Lakers are copying the Warriors blue print & two years ago I wanted DLO over Okafor & last year wanted Ingram & I believe they want Jackson & only Ball's dad wants the Lakers... Also, even if Magic doesn't think DLO can lead this team & improve they still take the more versatile & athletic player in Jackson & play another year with the kids & then PG13 can be signed & give us 3 players who can play the game & compete for a Chip. No dumb talk trading DLO for PG13 when we can get him for free one year from now & if DLO doesn't step up Magic will know & trade him for another PG, but by no means do we need Ball for anything cause Luke has this team sharing the ball now that Kobe is gone!

I wish I could post this reply in every thread that this sorta topic is already overly posted & related to this subject, like we don't have enough threads on this already!

Peace out & enjoy our second 1st rd pick, cause that is the question mark?
At NBA Draft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-jackson), didn't see where he was described as a Kwahi/Butler-like player.

He played the 2-4 in college, take plays off, needs better handles and needs to work on his handles. Lakers need shooters and a Floor General on the court that will help the other players be effective

He would occupied the same space on the floor with Randle, Nance, Black, Zuboc and others leaving no room for anybody to have room to operate. It would take 2-3 seasons for Jackson to be a legitimate threat on offense. Now, he is just another version of Randle.

Lakers are not trying to be a version of the Warriors because they don't have the shooters. Spurs would have given the Warriors a run for the money is Kwahi didn't get injured playing their system. Cavs would have done better if Lue transformed from a good coach to a great coach

Jackson is a good player that would probably be more like a Stephen Jackson meet Matt Barnes meet Bruce Bowen in a few years. Ball is a mix of JKofd meets Steve Nash meets Stockton

Lakers need a Floor General, not another SF-PF and Jackson didn't playbPG in college

Just thoughts
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
emplay wrote:
if the Lakers trade DLo it's because they don't believe in him - there are reasons that may or may not be the case.

That said, I don't think you can look at the progress and the numbers he made in his 2nd year and say he doesn't have tremendous potential as a guard in the NBA

If they trade him, it might be because they don't want a logjam at the G spot.

I am 12.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have almost no guards - Clarkson and Russell - Nwaba

That's it.

Am I missing one?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: If LA Lakers Draft Lonzo Ball, Is D'Angelo Russell Out?

emplay wrote:

Cheers,

EP

Liked that you mentioned the Byron hyperbole about Gelo as shades of Magic. No offense to D'Lo, but no...nuh uh. Lacks the natural instinct and personality (more importantly) to be a vocal and demonstrative leader. That can be developed though with the will to do it. If Artest can go thru mental health treatment and come out of it matured, Russell can develop a maturity in his own behavior and, frankly, ALL of the kids can help each other by holding themselves accountable as a group. That's what the younger guys on Showtime did. With Magic and Pelinka in there specifically to rid the Lakers of that silly, going thru motions, being lousy interviewees, being pouty, being immature stuff, they are all put on notice (or at least we hope). The little things like that grotesque group selfie with Lin/Boozer/Swaggy, et al after win #8 or thereabouts has left the org feeling deadened. The tumult with pinheaded Dwight Howard, who flagrant fouled his way out of his final game is another example. Nicholson looking at him disgustedly as he sauntered off. Laker fans expect more than that kind of mediocrity and nonchalance. If I were one of the youngsters (D'Lo or whomever), I'd get my priorities straighter than they might've been in the last 2-3 disgusting seasons. FO needs to lead by example, too. Severing with Jimbo and Mitch is a good start. Tabula rasa.

Don't take no S off LeBron, Eric! He doesn't get along too well with the little people being the King and all. He doesn't like anyone to hint at The Heatles' collusion. KD will eventually cringe when it's pointed out he was on a manufactured, loopholed roster as well.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
emplay wrote:
if the Lakers trade DLo it's because they don't believe in him - there are reasons that may or may not be the case.

That said, I don't think you can look at the progress and the numbers he made in his 2nd year and say he doesn't have tremendous potential as a guard in the NBA

If they trade him, it might be because they don't want a logjam at the G spot.

I am 12.

yeah, you are too young to logjam the G spot!!!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The Lakers have almost no guards - Clarkson and Russell - Nwaba

That's it.

Am I missing one?
On Point!!

With Ball (assuming he is being drafted) now allows DLo and JC to play to their respective strengths which is shooting. It should be remembered that Ball is a good outside shooter. This freedom (along with DLo/JC having another year of maturity) will make all more efficient.

All three can pass and shoot, with Ball's ball usage rate at UCLA is around 20%, he doesn't need the ball to be effective like a CP3 (albeit a HOF PG) but not the right fit for Luke's system.

it should be noted that Fox (assuming that Fultz will be drafted first) needs the ball to be effective and needs to vastly improve his outside shot - translation: Russell Westbrook without an outside shot.

Jackson has never played the 1 in college, doesn't have the handles, never was a floor general and needs a great deal of work on his outside shot. He is a good defender in college and an explosive athlete in the positions that he can play - 2 to 4.
With a deficient outside shot, he is like a version of Nwaba at the 2.
If he is playing the 3 - that is the land of Ingram, Deng and Nance.
If he is playing the 4 - he is competing with Randle, Nance and Deng for PT.
If he is playing the 5 - he is competing (in small ball offense) with Randle, Nance and Black. If Jackson better than any player they presently have?

Is Jackson a very physically gifted player - yes.
Is he more talented than Fox or Jackson, if that is the criteria (hmm)
Is he a better fit than Fox
Is he a better fit than Ball
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

Russell had his best games of the season at SG last season: a 40pt outburst and couple of 28 pt. That's his natural and best position not PG. Lonzo Ball feeding him the ball would be the best case scenario for him.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

They pair up perfectly together. Getting rid of Dlo after drafting Ball would be a horrible move
Lakeshow440
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

How is having a true PG like Ball a bad thing? He can make everyone around him better. Jackson is not going to do that and has a lot of work to do on the offensive end. You can't beat a team like Golden St by shooting 2s all game.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow440 wrote:
How is having a true PG like Ball a bad thing? He can make everyone around him better. Jackson is not going to do that and has a lot of work to do on the offensive end. You can't beat a team like Golden St by shooting 2s all game.
Since nobody can do what the Warriors do better than them!!

We should follow the Spurs' general plan to be excellent in what the Lakers roster can do. Spurs were going to give the Dubs a lot of trouble before Kwahi was injured. This happened despite TP was out of the series, LA was MIA, Manu was old and Pau was ineffective on offense (main reason why he is on the court)
Lakeshow440
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Lakeshow440 wrote:

We should follow the Spurs' general plan to be excellent in what the Lakers roster can do. Spurs were going to give the Dubs a lot of trouble before Kwahi was injured. This happened despite TP was out of the series, LA was MIA, Manu was old and Pau was ineffective on offense (main reason why he is on the court)

If the Spurs front court played like they should. They wouldve given fits to the Warriors. LA has been a pretty big disappointment there and may be traded this offseason.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow440 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Lakeshow440 wrote:

If the Spurs front court played like they should. They wouldve given fits to the Warriors. LA has been a pretty big disappointment there and may be traded this offseason.
True!

With Pau on his last legs, he will be gone in the very near future - along with Manu.

Ball (if drafted) would allow DLo and JC the freedom to focus on shooting, along with Randle getting the ball in places where he can do maximum damage. Last year, these three were placed in situations and places on the court where they were not able to maximize their abilities.

If Zuboc becomes a legitimate offensive threat that would force teams such as the Dubs to focus on him, that would provide more clear space for DLo, JC and BI. Ball would help Nwaba get easy buckets that would help him stay on the court because of his excellent defense.

Hopefully, the entire team saw how the Dubs played defense and how the Spurs played the Dubs as a blueprint on how as an elite team. With an extra year of experience that consisted of countless missed defensive assignments, they will be driven to play the right way
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
I think there are 3 good reasons not to trade DLO if we draft Ball:

- Ball still has to play one NBA game. We expect a lot from him, but what if his game doesn't translate? What if DLO becomes the best of them both?

- We saw that counting on a 19/20-yo to run PG is tough. Without DLO we're back to square 1. He can help Ball adapting to the NBA.

- As GT and others say, I think they can be great together.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
I will make this as short as possible. I'm tired of hearing about Ball, his father, the media, rumors & Laker fans thinking Ball is gonna be a Laker.

Magic & Luke know bout basketball & where the NBA is headed & who the competition is gonna be for next 10 years, so the Lakers ARE GOING TO DRAFT JOSH JACKSON!!! STOP THE NON SENSE TALK, it makes complete sense for us to draft a multi talented player who can play & defend so many positions more than the one dimensional Ball who is strictly a PG & nothing else!!!

We have to match up with Curry, Klay, KD & Green & DLO will be the PG/SG just like Curry is for Warriors, Ingram can play SG/SF, Clarkson can play PG/SG & let DLO be the SG, Jackson can be our version of Green once he adds some muscle & Randle can play the center spot with Zubac.

Once Josh gets his first season under belt a.k.a. Ingram, they both will be on the floor majority of time when it counts. We need another defender & Josh brings everything to the court unlike Ball who is so one dimensional. Just take into consideration how NBADRAFT.NET describes the two, Ball is described as a Jason Kidd type while Jackson is described as a Kwahi Leonard/Jimmy Butler type. com'on if you know the game of basketball it's no brainer.

PS: The Lakers are copying the Warriors blue print & two years ago I wanted DLO over Okafor & last year wanted Ingram & I believe they want Jackson & only Ball's dad wants the Lakers... Also, even if Magic doesn't think DLO can lead this team & improve they still take the more versatile & athletic player in Jackson & play another year with the kids & then PG13 can be signed & give us 3 players who can play the game & compete for a Chip. No dumb talk trading DLO for PG13 when we can get him for free one year from now & if DLO doesn't step up Magic will know & trade him for another PG, but by no means do we need Ball for anything cause Luke has this team sharing the ball now that Kobe is gone!

I wish I could post this reply in every thread that this sorta topic is already overly posted & related to this subject, like we don't have enough threads on this already!

Peace out & enjoy our second 1st rd pick, cause that is the question mark?

You have this completely backwards. If you are trying to match up with GS, you'll never have a chance to be a champion. Champions force OTHERS to beat them. Jackson is only a little above average on defense and doesn't have a reliable outside shot. He wont substantially change the way we play. But Lonzo Ball will.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

No, D'angelo is a 2-guard
Slappy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

]
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

]((PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PERSONAL INSULTS -JMK)) at UCLA, Ball played every position but C. In the NBA he can play the 1, 2 and small ball 3.

And for the other numbnut who said that DLO is a better shooter, his .411 from 3 at OSU is now down to .351/.352. Why? Because his 3s in college were deep NBA 2s. In marked contrast:

His 3% will translate because he's doing it already.

This is my fave, by the way, well, after him blocking Fultz:

2 of the 3, the last 2, were NBA threes. This is the bronze, and is also the answer to, he can't get to the rack:

foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Slappy wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Numbnut, at UCLA, Ball played every position but C. In the NBA he can play the 1, 2 and small ball 3.

And for the other numbnut who said that DLO is a better shooter, his .411 from 3 at OSU is now down to .351/.352. Why? Because his 3s in college were deep NBA 2s. In marked contrast:

2 of the 3, the last 2, were NBA threes. This is the bronze, and is also the answer to, he can't get to the rack:

Couldn't agree with you more. As for Fultz, his floor is likely that of a future all star. Admitedly, Ball might not be that good - but its also entirely possible that Ball winds up being the better of them.

What funny is Ball outplayed Fultz when they faced each other. And Fox got the better of Ball in the tourny. Just food for thought...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
Slappy wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Numbnut, at UCLA, Ball played every position but C. In the NBA he can play the 1, 2 and small ball 3.

Couldn't agree with you more. As for Fultz, his floor is likely that of a future all star. Admitedly, Ball might not be that good - but its also entirely possible that Ball winds up being the better of them.

What funny is Ball outplayed Fultz when they faced each other. And Fox got the better of Ball in the tourny. Just food for thought...
If we are using the logic that Fox is better than Ball because of the Kentucky-UCLA game and Ball is better than Fultiz because of the game they played together - why is Fultz #1

Curious people want to know
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:
Slappy wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

If we are using the logic that Fox is better than Ball because of the Kentucky-UCLA game and Ball is better than Fultiz because of the game they played together - why is Fultz #1

No, you cant judge them based on 1 or 2 matchups against each other. I just think its interesting that Ball outplayed Fultz and played some very good D on him too.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:
Slappy wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

No, you cant judge them based on 1 or 2 matchups against each other. I just think its interesting that Ball outplayed Fultz and played some very good D on him too.
I was joking because the logic is so flawed

In the Kentucky-UCLA game, one should note how many times they guarded each other plus UCLA was not a good defensive team. To his credit, Fox took this opportunity to make a name for himself. From his stats, he appears to be a player like Westbrook without an outside shot. He is lightning fast and many hope he will be a bigger version of IT (would Ainge draft this IT 2.0 player or Jackson at #3)
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject:

Our guards will have some offensive punch but no matter who we draft, IMO, our guards will struggle defensively again this season.

Clarkson is our quickest guard and his defense is abysmal.
D-Lo has defensive potential and length but lacks elite speed.
Ball is faster but is not much better defensively than either of those guys.
Nwaba is our only defensive-minded guard and the jury is still out on him.
Ennis is suspect too (if he comes back).
PopcornMachine#32
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Check out my article on why us Laker fans shouldn't believe the Lonzo Ball Hype https://inthefrontrow.com/hey-laker-fans-dont-believe-the-hype/ Let me know what u guys think. Interested to hear your feedback.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

*** BREAKING NEWS***

Dlo no longer a laker!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Emplay hit the nail on the head
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: