Breaking: Shooter at GOP baseball practice; Scalise & others shot, shooter dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Scalise still in bad shape. For those interested, this article talks about why a shot to the pelvis can be so dangerous/fatal:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/politics/scalise-baseball-shooting/index.html
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Better news: Doctors 'encouraged' by Scalise's improvement

Quote:
Scalise is being treated in the hospital's intensive care unit. His risk of death is "substantially lower" than it was when he was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday, and "I think that an excellent recovery is a good possibility," Sava said.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's hard to ignore that language. Anyway, the militia argument has now been shot down by the Supreme Court. Correctly, in my opinion.

But this is a topic for a different thread.

Supreme Court aside. Personally do you think the 2nd amendment has been bastardized? Do you think the original intent was to arm a militia not to revert to the Wild Wild West?

EDIT: Do you agree with all SC decisions? I don't, I don't think you do either.

2nd Amendment written in 1791. Wild Wild West doesn't occur until the mid-19th century (1803 of the Louisiana Purchase if you really want to go that far). Hard to revert to something in the future.....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
2nd Amendment written in 1791. Wild Wild West doesn't occur until the mid-19th century (1803 of the Louisiana Purchase if you really want to go that far). Hard to revert to something in the future.....

The Wild Wild West didn't come along until the 1960s. Anyway, the so-called Wild West is mostly a creation of dime novels and Hollywood. The notion that private gun ownership makes our society like a dime novel is equally fictitious.

None of that has much to do with some old lunatic who decided he wanted to kill a bunch of Republicans. Lunatics always find a way.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Scalise and Ryan should notice how even poor people, democrats even, are praying for Scalise and all others affected by this tragedy to survive and become stronger

Praying that all receive the best health care our Universities can offer

Praying without prejudice that this man survives

Unlike the hellth care plan they want for their fellow Americans
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
One of these days, I'd like them to explain what "tyrannical" means. Who decides that a government is tyrannical? An individual? A group? If yes, how big should the group be? Are all governmental employees guilty at that point? Can one kill as many people as one would like? ... Rand Paul needs to explain.

Rand Paul is a feaux Libertarian. Libertarians believe the Federal Government on its face is tyrannical. Of course, Mr. Paul is drawing the good gubmint check, that good gubmint healthcare, AND that good gubmint pension while simultaneously speaking on the evils of the gubmint. His daddy Ron Paul is a feaux Libertarian lifetime gubmint teet sucker too, but whatever...

hoops you needta quit. Once again you've made my day. Tuna on Ritz, lettuce and tomato salad, Roquefort dressing and of course a Heineken chaser. Didn't mess up anything this time.

Rand Paul was a MD for 18 Years and Ron Paul was a flight surgeon in the Air Force. Both of them didn't need the government to hold their hand.

Tyrannical is exercising power in a cruel or arbitrary way. The People of this country are the ones who decide if a government has become tyrannical and most people don't think our government will become tyrannical but that is the problem its not the icebergs that captains see coming that sink ships.

It wasn't the most classy thing Rand has ever twitted though Edit: didnt know rand posted this a year ago, so it doesnt affect his class

Just a small note regarding gov't holding hand, all doctors must go thru residency training which is a government subsidized medical training. I think just because you're rich, doesn't mean you don't get benefits from government. Might not be in the form of food stamp/subsidized housing but in other forms of hand holding. Maybe you meant that Rand Paul and Ron Paul are MD so they have higher income and pay more tax?

My holding their hand comment was probably a little too argumentative. I meant that they were very smart and hard working men who would succeed at most things and contribute to the country.

The government has a role in the economy that has benefits to all income levels. I only think the government is too big to fail while having too much control over the economy/culture and its not how I think a country should be ran.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
One of these days, I'd like them to explain what "tyrannical" means. Who decides that a government is tyrannical? An individual? A group? If yes, how big should the group be? Are all governmental employees guilty at that point? Can one kill as many people as one would like? ... Rand Paul needs to explain.

Rand Paul is a feaux Libertarian. Libertarians believe the Federal Government on its face is tyrannical. Of course, Mr. Paul is drawing the good gubmint check, that good gubmint healthcare, AND that good gubmint pension while simultaneously speaking on the evils of the gubmint. His daddy Ron Paul is a feaux Libertarian lifetime gubmint teet sucker too, but whatever...

hoops you needta quit. Once again you've made my day. Tuna on Ritz, lettuce and tomato salad, Roquefort dressing and of course a Heineken chaser. Didn't mess up anything this time.

Rand Paul was a MD for 18 Years and Ron Paul was a flight surgeon in the Air Force. Both of them didn't need the government to hold their hand.

Tyrannical is exercising power in a cruel or arbitrary way. The People of this country are the ones who decide if a government has become tyrannical and most people don't think our government will become tyrannical but that is the problem its not the icebergs that captains see coming that sink ships.

It wasn't the most classy thing Rand has ever twitted though Edit: didnt know rand posted this a year ago, so it doesnt affect his class

Just a small note regarding gov't holding hand, all doctors must go thru residency training which is a government subsidized medical training. I think just because you're rich, doesn't mean you don't get benefits from government. Might not be in the form of food stamp/subsidized housing but in other forms of hand holding. Maybe you meant that Rand Paul and Ron Paul are MD so they have higher income and pay more tax?

My holding their hand comment was probably a little too argumentative. I meant that they were very smart and hard working men who would succeed at most things and contribute to the country.

The government has a role in the economy that has benefits to all income levels. I only think the government is too big to fail while having too much control over the economy/culture and its not how I think a country should be ran.
So how should a country be ran? please be specific.

and for the record. the government is nto running the country. corporations are by proxy.

more or less the government is ran by two types. #1 who gives each candidate the most money to be voted for.

#2 who votes and helps put said candidate in office.

but its always in that order #1 first. #2 if their are scraps left to hand out.

we know #1 has more money to spend and we know #2 is not organized enough to put their money up to say Look at us. we raised X amt just as much as the lobbyist. now do our bidding and not theirs.

So back to #1 winning out.

I still hear some of the same republican voters in coal towns talking about they want smaller government, yet they want the government to do something to help them "bring coal back."

What happened to "let the markets decide?"
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

and for the record. the government is nto running the country. corporations are by proxy.

more or less the government is ran by two types. #1 who gives each candidate the most money to be voted for.

we know #1 has more money to spend and we know #2 is not organized enough to put their money up to say Look at us. we raised X amt just as much as the lobbyist. now do our bidding and not theirs.

I still hear some of the same republican voters in coal towns talking about they want smaller government, yet they want the government to do something to help them "bring coal back."

Well you asked how I think the country should be ran so ill do my best to answer.

The US federal government spends almost $12k per person. Total Government Spending is more than $20k per person

Total government spending on pensions is almost $4.5k per person. At the Federal level its about 3k per person. In other words are pension system is radicalized. The federal government spends almost $2k per person on the debts interest alone

Between debt interest and pensions, the Federal government alone spend $5k per person on almost nothing, For comparison South Korea spends a little more than 8K per person for the entire government which includes universal health care.

The Incarceration rate In the US is the second highest in the world.

The last thing the federal government needs is more power and money. They need to learn how to spend the money they already have more efficiently and change the laws so we don't lock up the entire population.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Well you asked how I think the country should be ran so ill do my best to answer.

The US federal government spends almost $12k per person. Total Government Spending is more than $20k per person

Total government spending on pensions is almost $4.5k per person. At the Federal level its about 3k per person. In other words are pension system is radicalized. The federal government spends almost $2k per person on the debts interest alone

Between debt interest and pensions, the Federal government alone spend $5k per person on almost nothing, For comparison South Korea spends a little more than 8K per person for the entire government which includes universal health care.

The last thing the federal government needs is more power and money. They need to learn how to spend the money they already have more efficiently and change the laws so we don't lock up the entire population.

>they

We vote for they. We elect they. They come from us. They are us. We are they.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

So who should get that power and that money? oh and one more thing. when you speak of govt spending. are you also including all of the "private" companies they contract work out to?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

So who should get that power and that money? oh and one more thing. when you speak of govt spending. are you also including all of the "private" companies they contract work out to?

When I speak of spending all I talked about was pensions and interest. That involves no private companies.

2 trillion dollars a year on nothing!! Government employees are literally living off of us.

You, me and our children are paying 5000 dollars each every year (20k for a family of 4) just to pay the federal government employee's life style and interest from their past life style. They are stealing from us and our children.

I have a question for you how can South Korea pay for universal health care and run their entire government for 8k while we pay 5k just for pensions and interest. (That's just the federal government btw not including state government which makes its 6.5k, oh and if we include the federal govenment's "Other Borrowings" that makes it 7k)

we have to take this to the political forums it has nothing to do with the shooting.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: