The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject:

I still think the Lakers will pursue Wade this year to keep his Bird rights growing and as a recruiting chip for LBJ in 2018. Can give him a cheap deal in 2018 and then having his Bird rights do another short deal in 2019.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still think the Lakers will pursue Wade this year to keep his Bird rights growing and as a recruiting chip for LBJ in 2018. Can give him a cheap deal in 2018 and then having his Bird rights do another short deal in 2019.

I think they would want Wade on the room exception, with the ability to pay him the MLE in 2019. I think they would want to keep Lopez or Randle, and add them to a core of James, George, Ingram, Ball and Wade.

I don't know how much Wade can expect to make on the open market in 2019, when he's 37.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think they would want Wade on the room exception, with the ability to pay him the MLE in 2019. I think they would want to keep Lopez or Randle, and add them to a core of James, George, Ingram, Ball and Wade.

I don't know how much Wade can expect to make on the open market in 2019, when he's 37.

Assuming it's PG13/LBJ plan, I think they would want Wade like we discussed. Trade for him now (and move JC who has to be moved regardless and likely Brewer, maybe a 2nd rounder). Get his early Bird rights. I'm assuming it's possible to offer a room exception and keep the Bird rights chain going along, so that in 2019 we can have full Bird rights and go over the cap. That way we can still preserve the 2019 MLE and use it on someone else.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
You're the writer, if you want your message to be conveyed correctly then you should be as clear as possible no? Thinking that this and that is obvious and then blaming the miscommunication on the reader, should be on you.

Ok, let's try again. Maybe this will clear things up for you enough so you can comment on the topic.

In my opinion.....

Kobe/Pai/Odom teams were NOT a super team. They were a very good team.

Super teams should have multiple superstars along with non-superstar all-star caliber players.

IMO, Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton was a super team, GSW is a super team, Heat were a super team.

Spurs were not a super team, Cle is/was not, etc.

Thoughts?

It's all subjective of course, but the Lakers went 27-9 (75% winning pct) after acquiring Pau in Feb. 2008...lost in the finals unfortunately, but nonetheless a very nice showing. 65-17 (79%) the following season followed up by a title. 57-25 (67%) with a title the season after that.

Perhaps not a super team, but close enough.

That team could've been a super team had Drew remained healthy. Prior to the first knee injury, Drew was well on his way to becoming the best center in the league with Dwight being a distant second. Despite making the All-Star team in 2012, we have to remember that Drew's mobility and hops were never the same, which affected his ability to defend and finish above the rim.

Agreed in terms of his injury challenges. But imo he was also a bit of an odd duck, so I wonder how much/any of that still might have factored in even if he had stayed healthy.

Definitely a shame that we couldn't find out.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Don't know Yinoma, Wade left Heat cause he didn't get 'paid', he might want to maximize his last contract. Can't see him wanting to come off the bench even in a LeBron team
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
You're the writer, if you want your message to be conveyed correctly then you should be as clear as possible no? Thinking that this and that is obvious and then blaming the miscommunication on the reader, should be on you.

Ok, let's try again. Maybe this will clear things up for you enough so you can comment on the topic.

In my opinion.....

Super teams should have multiple superstars along with non-superstar all-star caliber players.

IMO, Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton was a super team, GSW is a super team, Heat were a super team.

Thoughts?

It's all subjective of course, but the Lakers went 27-9 (75% winning pct) after acquiring Pau in Feb. 2008...lost in the finals unfortunately, but nonetheless a very nice showing. 65-17 (79%) the following season followed up by a title. 57-25 (67%) with a title the season after that.

Well, I don't think the record really has any bearing on whether a team is a super team, at least in my view.

It's the roster construction IMO that determines if a team is deemed a super team. And IMO, in order to be considered one, you have to have two or more superstars and 1 or more all-star caliber players.

Kobe/Pau/Odom is 1 super and 2 allstar caliber
Lebron/Kyrie/Love is the same.
Spurs same with 1 super in Duncan and 2 allstar in Parker/Manu

But GSW has 2 super and 2 alllstar.
MIA in the LBJ days had 2 super and 1 allstar caliber

In the case of the Kobe/Pau/Odom teams, it's the record backed up with the Finals appearances/titles. 3 straight trips to the Finals and 2 titles in a row is a pretty nice run by any standard.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Don't know Yinoma, Wade left Heat cause he didn't get 'paid', he might want to maximize his last contract. Can't see him wanting to come off the bench even in a LeBron team

He's getting "paid" in Chicago and they have left him with a possibly bottom 4 team. I think he may be amenable to his future role as i don't see him getting paid 20m to start anywhere else. Might as well be with his buddy and in LA on a team that could be a contender. Start his pre-retirement phase now just like LBJ.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Well, I don't think the record really has any bearing on whether a team is a super team, at least in my view.

It's the roster construction IMO that determines if a team is deemed a super team. And IMO, in order to be considered one, you have to have two or more superstars and 1 or more all-star caliber players.

Kobe/Pau/Odom is 1 super and 2 allstar caliber
Lebron/Kyrie/Love is the same.
Spurs same with 1 super in Duncan and 2 allstar in Parker/Manu

But GSW has 2 super and 2 alllstar.
MIA in the LBJ days had 2 super and 1 allstar caliber

In the case of the Kobe/Pau/Odom teams, it's the record backed up with the Finals appearances/titles. 3 straight trips to the Finals and 2 titles in a row is a pretty nice run by any standard.

That's a dynasty, not a superteam. If the definition of a superteam was simply sustained high level success, then there wouldn't be a need for a separate term you can just call it a dynasty team.

My point is that the definition of a superteam should be without regard to how the team does, but rather, purely based on roster construction.

Can we not call the current Warriors a superteam because they have only had 1 finals appearance and 1 title with their current core? I say we can, because of how they are made up.

If Lebron/CP3/Anthony Davis/PG13 came to the Lakers next year, would that not be a superteam in your mind before the season even began?

In other words, a superteam can fail. A dynasty team has to have had success.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

I really think there is some legs to this LeBron to LA.

And not just because of the "Space Jam 2" angle from the Papilion guy.

The fact that he is not getting involved in the Kyrie trade stuff is a sign he is out of Cleveland at the end of this season.

He doesn't want to meddle with roster now and then leave at the end of the season and open himself up for criticism.

He will ball his ass off for Cleveland this season, I could see him putting up huge numbers but they won't be as good without Kyrie and he is coming to LA after next season.

I would put it at better than 50/50 at this point that he is a Laker after next season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

The fact that he is not getting involved in the Kyrie trade stuff is a sign he is out of Cleveland at the end of this season.

He doesn't want to meddle with roster now and then leave at the end of the season and open himself up for criticism.

He will ball his ass off for Cleveland this season, I could see him putting up huge numbers but they won't be as good without Kyrie and he is coming to LA after next season.

I would put it at better than 50/50 at this point that he is a Laker after next season.

I sense that too.

I'm increasingly sanguine about 2 out of 4 of the following be a Laker next year (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie). The hope is we keep Lonzo/Ingram to grow under the aegis of these 2 max players.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

In my opinion.....

Thoughts?

That team could've been a super team had Drew remained healthy. Prior to the first knee injury, Drew was well on his way to becoming the best center in the league with Dwight being a distant second. Despite making the All-Star team in 2012, we have to remember that Drew's mobility and hops were never the same, which affected his ability to defend and finish above the rim.

Agreed in terms of his injury challenges. But imo he was also a bit of an odd duck, so I wonder how much/any of that still might have factored in even if he had stayed healthy.

Definitely a shame that we couldn't find out.

It's hard to say, but I think that rehabbing from those injuries probably affected his mindset. He worked extremely hard to get back on the court, and it must have sucked to realize that he was never going to get back to what he was prior to the first knee injury. It's also safe to assume that even when he did play, he was still playing through pain. All of that can take a toll mentally especially for a guy who wasn't absolutely in love with the game of basketball. Had he remained healthy and continued on his upward trajectory towards becoming a dominant center, I think his mindset would've been different. Oh well, I guess we'll never know.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I think it's the opposite. He is masterfully pushing out Kyrie, planned out by his inner circle. He's pulling his own Kobe.

LeBron is all about his brand and legacy. He left to make sure he got rings. Then, came back to be the king of his hometown again.

Now, if they keep going with Kyrie in the picture in CLE, guess who has a shot to unseat "the King"? He knows he probably won't get many more rings, so his legacy from here on out is to be the king of his town. Without that, his brand would diminish over time.

He saw the potential in that with Kyrie's clutch shot in the finals. He took a good portion of his shine away. Imagine when LeBron is old or when he is retired. Guess who is still in his prime in CLE when GSW starts to age? And in the East?

It would only take one championship to change things. Imagine if Kyrie wins two w/o LeBron? It would be over.

LeBron wears purple shirt to a Laker summer league game recently. Kobe wore warmups with clippers colors during contract year. Very similar. Both are diabolical that way.

The difference is Kobe is more straight up. Me or Shaq.

LeBron does it with more pettiness and shade. Passive aggressiveness. Bichmade if you ask me.

Last edited by gr818 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

The buzz if the Lakers signed LeBron would be amazing. Imagine all the hate that will flow toward our fan base.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
The buzz if the Lakers signed LeBron would be amazing. Imagine all the hate that will flow toward our fan base.

It'll be like the good ol days
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
@mcten

Koby Altman: "LeBron remains deeply committed to this organization ... deeply committed to this team ... deeply committed to this city"

If it doesn't happen, then we can roll with PG13/Boogie/keep Jules. So be it.

But doubtful. LBJ is one fickle man.

Paying $30 mil for a center in today's game is not a good idea. Especially one who has had issues. I would rather give that money to someone like KCP.

If Magic/Pelinka are hell bent on 2 max players, it'll likely be from a pool of LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie.

Paul George is not coming here to play with KCP. he wants an all star to join him

Also Fact is Cousins has played more mins at PF then at center.

So he can play PF while ? plays center. We are talking about the Lakers. And George wanted us to trade for him last season with 0 all stars.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I think it's the opposite. He is masterfully pushing out Kyrie, planned out by his inner circle. He's pulling his own Kobe.

LeBron is all about his brand and legacy. He left to make sure he got rings. Then, came back to be the king of his hometown again.

Now, if they keep going with Kyrie in the picture in CLE, guess who has a shot to unseat "the King"? He knows he probably won't get many more rings, so his legacy from here on out is to be the king of his town. Without that, his brand would diminish over time.

He saw the potential in that with Kyrie's clutch shot in the finals. He took a good portion of his shine away. Imagine when LeBron is old or when he is retired. Guess who is still in his prime in CLE when GSW starts to age? And in the East?

It would only take one championship to change things. Imagine if Kyrie wins two w/o LeBron? It would be over.

LeBron wears purple shirt to a Laker summer league game recently. Kobe wore warmups with clippers colors during contract year. Very similar. Both are diabolical that way.

LeBron does it with more pettiness and shade. Passive aggressiveness. Bichmade if you ask me.

I really don't see any incentive for Lebron to push out Kyrie. He's not the reason why they lost in the finals. He's smart enough to know that they would not get equal return on a Kyrie trade.

As good of a player Kyrie is, he's at his best in a secondary role. He's keenly aware of this too - that's why he selected teams with great coaches and at least one great players around him outside of Miami (SA - Pop & Kawhii) (Min - Thib & Towns & Butler) (NY - Porzingis)

It is much more about Kyrie not wanting to be left with the bag empty when Lebron inevitably leaves. Lebron's legacy is not affected by Kyrie. He's done enough to secure his legacy as is. Cleveland couldn't beat the greatest offensive team in the history of the NBA and one of the top 10 best defenses in the history of the NBA.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I sense that too.

I'm increasingly sanguine about 2 out of 4 of the following be a Laker next year (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie). The hope is we keep Lonzo/Ingram to grow under the aegis of these 2 max players.

Impressive vocabulary.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

They have pursued him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I seem to remember him being very involved in the Kyrie trade stuff, we have pages of a thread discussing that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They have pursued him.

And the season is long. If we had interest early on why would it preclude interest later on?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They have pursued him.

And the season is long. If we had interest early on why would it preclude interest later on?

Using that logic, if Chicago had no interest before, why would they later on? They seemed pretty determined that Wade will be their sales pitch this season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They have pursued him.

Using that logic, if Chicago had no interest before, why would they later on? They seemed pretty determined that Wade will be their sales pitch this season.

Do you know what was offered then? Maybe the Lakers wanted to dump Deng on them. Maybe not. The fact that the Lakers have interest should be pertinent here.

Where was it stated that Wade would be the face of the Bulls franchise this year? That's news to me.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
gr818 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I really don't see any incentive for Lebron to push out Kyrie. He's not the reason why they lost in the finals. He's smart enough to know that they would not get equal return on a Kyrie trade.

As good of a player Kyrie is, he's at his best in a secondary role. He's keenly aware of this too - that's why he selected teams with great coaches and at least one great players around him outside of Miami (SA - Pop & Kawhii) (Min - Thib & Towns & Butler) (NY - Porzingis)

It is much more about Kyrie not wanting to be left with the bag empty when Lebron inevitably leaves. Lebron's legacy is not affected by Kyrie. He's done enough to secure his legacy as is. Cleveland couldn't beat the greatest offensive team in the history of the NBA and one of the top 10 best defenses in the history of the NBA.

I think the definition of incentive or competition is different for fans and players. Fans are more hung up on numbers because that is where their competition lies. But for players, it's much more than numbers. Their brand, legacy and actual game competition. So incentives are different.

I disagree with the secondary role assertion. On a team with LeBron he is the 2nd option, but with most teams he is the man. And he's shown he can take over in CLE and during his short time at Duke. He has it. He would undoubtedly be the main decision maker on those teams. For SAT it would be split, but the allure of stability would have any player have Spurs as an option.

Kyrie does not know what to believe right now and won't wait around for the decision. Lebron's legacy would be affected if Kyrie wins on his own in CLE. It won't be destroyed, but affected for sure. Imagine Kyrie winning two on his own and also claiming he hit the game winning shot in the one that LeBron won in?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They have pursued him.

Do you know what was offered then? Maybe the Lakers wanted to dump Deng on them. Maybe not. The fact that the Lakers have interest should be pertinent here.

Where was it stated that Wade would be the face of the Bulls franchise this year? That's news to me.

I don't believe a deal was offered, the Lakers reportedly inquired about Wade and then moved on. Evidently there was no interest by Chicago to move him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next
Page 50 of 2082
Jump to: