The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 726, 727, 728 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
GTL wrote:
Judah wrote:
https://youtu.be/5aTTmVeszfM

I absolutely love watching these highlight videos of him terrorizing teams.

Especially from last season, which I honestly think was his best season yet.

If people haven’t yet watched him torch the East in the 2018 playoffs, I suggest you do so to get an idea of what we now have on our team. It makes it that much more phenomenal.

He reminds me of Old Man Kobe now when watching these highlights. He used to get up over the rim by so much more just a few years ago. Now a lot of these are layups. But yeah, was still one of his best seasons. Makes me wonder just how many rim rattling dunks we'll actually see from him during his stay in LA.

Also - man the Cavs' offense was so unwatchable when it reverted to Lebron isoball. Hope the Lakers know not to do that mess.

He does revert to layups more often than dunks now a days, but he still has the ability to throw it down with utter force and had some insane dunks that were as impressive as any he’s done in his younger years. Also, he utilized his strength around the rim much more this past season, muscling shots even if the defender forcefully grabbed him by his arms or shoulders. He has a certain dominance about him that reminds me of Shaq of all people. When they utilize their upper body strength, nobody is going to stop them from getting the ball in the basket.

Agree that the Cavs offense was LeIso ball far too often. Another thing that is glaringly obvious is his lack of defense. He would often be a statue on defense, and wasn’t a very good help defender. He rarely would run over to a wide open shooter, and had a bad habit of standing around when smaller guards would drive to the basket. He also didn’t lock in on guys enough to shut players down. But he’s so big and overbearing, that he could if he wanted to. He was once an all defensive team player, so he has it in him.

I think he was asked to do so much offensively, that it clearly hurt his defensive effort. Hopefully, along with better offensive sets that don’t rely on LeBron ball all game long, he can improve his defensive efforts as he’s going to learn fairly quickly that Western Conference teams are much more efficient scorers with squads that have more reliable offense sets, where the Warriors aren’t the only team who are good at spread offense.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

LeBron dunk highlights from this past season -

https://youtu.be/yeKfi1-re0c
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

You only need to watch this dunk to see he still has it when he wants too.

GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:

Or this one

https://youtu.be/4ZG3Nlhw_PE
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
...Another thing that is glaringly obvious is his lack of defense. He would often be a statue on defense, and wasn’t a very good help defender. He rarely would run over to a wide open shooter, and had a bad habit of standing around when smaller guards would drive to the basket. He also didn’t lock in on guys enough to shut players down. But he’s so big and overbearing, that he could if he wanted to. He was once an all defensive team player, so he has it in him.

I think he was asked to do so much offensively, that it clearly hurt his defensive effort. Hopefully, along with better offensive sets that don’t rely on LeBron ball all game long, he can improve his defensive efforts as he’s going to learn fairly quickly that Western Conference teams are much more efficient scorers with squads that have more reliable offense sets, where the Warriors aren’t the only team who are good at spread offense.

Yep, hence my comparison to Old Man Kobe. I should clarify - I don't mean post-achilles injury Kobe. I mean early 30s Kobe when he was the best he'd ever been because he was just so smart and efficient scorer, but he definitely was not throwing down 360s or yamming on players with double pump reverse dunks anymore. Also his defense was definitely not as pit bull all the time like it was in his 20s which is to be expected.

Bron does seem more like a very mobile power forward now. Like a blend of Karl Malone and Magic.

But yeah, I'm thinking Luke lets Lonzo/Rondo/Ingram do much of the ball handling duties to let Lebron be a lot more rested than he was last season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
GTL wrote:
...Another thing that is glaringly obvious is his lack of defense. He would often be a statue on defense, and wasn’t a very good help defender. He rarely would run over to a wide open shooter, and had a bad habit of standing around when smaller guards would drive to the basket. He also didn’t lock in on guys enough to shut players down. But he’s so big and overbearing, that he could if he wanted to. He was once an all defensive team player, so he has it in him.

Yep, hence my comparison to Old Man Kobe. I should clarify - I don't mean post-achilles injury Kobe. I mean early 30s Kobe when he was the best he'd ever been because he was just so smart and efficient scorer, but he definitely was not throwing down 360s or yamming on players with double pump reverse dunks anymore. Also his defense was definitely not as pit bull all the time like it was in his 20s which is to be expected.

Bron does seem more like a very mobile power forward now. Like a blend of Karl Malone and Magic.

But yeah, I'm thinking Luke lets Lonzo/Rondo/Ingram do much of the ball handling duties to let Lebron be a lot more rested than he was last season.

I’m banking on this right here. We have such a vast array of talented passers, our ball movement can easily be the best in the league if we play within’ the offense. This is why LeBron ISO ball should only be utilized if the offense fails us or you know, under the “Kobe” circumstances where we need to be bailed out. Even Kobe in his latter years played within’ Phil’s triangle despite the fact that he could have easily gone for 40-50 every night if he wanted to.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
GTL wrote:

100% the way to go imo. Save on ball Lebron for critical possessions in some games and the playoffs. Off ball Lebron will be just as dangerous (if not more) with all the other playmakers on the roster.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Like everything else with the Cavaliers, James has been integral in the revival. His mid-season defensive lapses sometimes led to criticism and social media chatter. But in the postseason James has transformed into an unfair combination of Draymond Green and Rudy Gobert, wrecking game plans, closing out to shooters, filling the passing lines, stifling players in the post and still protecting the rim while intimidating opponents.

His speed, athleticism and smarts help erase mistakes in a way few others can. Tristan Thompson is the anchor. James is the voice.

"LeBron is more of the talker and more of the communicator," Lue told cleveland.com. "Getting guys in the right spots and talking to guys. I would say LeBron is that."

And who better than James, who knows every play and every player's role on a given possession? This is the same guy who shouts out opponent's play calls.

In Boston, where Lue got his start as an assistant, that role belonged to Kevin Garnett, a nine-time member of the NBA All-Defensive First Team and 2008 Defensive Player of the Year. James doesn't have the same credentials, but he has similar traits.

"As far as being active and talking, same as K.G," Lue said. "Bron can guard five positions. He can guard points, twos, threes, fours and fives."

James enters every postseason with a catalogue of information compiled over the years and passes on as much knowledge as he can to his teammates. He has seen every tactic and set, mentally preparing himself for what's to come before the adjustment actually takes place.

"You just got to talk," James said. "It's a beautiful thing when you communicate and everybody knows where they're supposed to be defensively. Because when you get stops, then you can have fun."

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/05/cleveland_cavaliers_revived_de.html

My hope is that he and Luke will talk and come to an agreement in making this a permanent role for him. It’s one of the best ways to capitalize on his immense basketball IQ, wealth of experience, and attention to detail. He’ll be in free safety mode for the most part anyways, so he’ll be in good position to observe everything that’s happening on the floor and calling it out to guys.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

LeBron and Durant partying together in L.A.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/07/19/lebron-james-kevin-durant-los-angeles-lakers/

Do it Magic!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Do it Magic!

Kawhi's been a smokescreen all along..........?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
GTL wrote:
Judah wrote:

If people haven’t yet watched him torch the East in the 2018 playoffs, I suggest you do so to get an idea of what we now have on our team. It makes it that much more phenomenal.

He reminds me of Old Man Kobe now when watching these highlights. He used to get up over the rim by so much more just a few years ago. Now a lot of these are layups. But yeah, was still one of his best seasons. Makes me wonder just how many rim rattling dunks we'll actually see from him during his stay in LA.

Also - man the Cavs' offense was so unwatchable when it reverted to Lebron isoball. Hope the Lakers know not to do that mess.

And like Kobe the defense was the first thing to go. Hopefully team defense can make up for that.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:
GTL wrote:
Judah wrote:

And like Kobe the defense was the first thing to go. Hopefully team defense can make up for that.

Can he play a game or two in our universe before you guys start this type of non sense dialogue...we got the best player on the planet...or was there a player hands down better than him last year?

#BannersOverBillboards
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Do it Magic!

The day LeBron signed with us, I sent him a tweet apologizing in advance for TMZ.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

Durant is one of the most sensitive and insecure NBA player in the world right now.

I do believe he leaves GS next year. And as much I’d love to believe he joins LeBron, he’s the type that would likely go to NY/Brooklyn where he can make it “his” team, not Steph’s team, not in LA to be part of LeBron’s team, and try to prove to people he can win it himself in “his” team
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

still can't believe we signed this dude
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

imagine curry with lebron🤺
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
PengShow wrote:

Or this one

https://youtu.be/4ZG3Nlhw_PE

Look where LeBron takes off on that windmill dunk he did this season, compared to the dunk he did 6 years ago.

He took off farther and got the same air.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
imagine curry with lebron🤺

Lol
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1020041114127151105?s=21

The master plan is in motion
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Do it Magic!

The day LeBron signed with us, I sent him a tweet apologizing in advance for TMZ.

That was you?!?!?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Do it Magic!

Did anyone else’s jaw just drop when they saw hoodie KD hop in the car with Lebron. I know they’ve played flag football together a million years ago, but they aren’t exactly friends... Things just got very interesting LA.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Excellent piece by Ding. I was looking forward to his commentary on LeBron signing with the Lakers and it was well worth the wait:

Quote:
James wants to play more like the young Lakers have, running and riffing without getting tired because of the front office’s mandate for no more than 8 percent body fat.

James is more of a kid-at-heart goofball than you would think given his global icon stature. Those close to James have no doubt that he will revel in the mentoring role—in part because it will be so much fun for the not-yet-old dog to be around so many eager pups.

James conveyed some of that to Johnson and Rob Pelinka in his meetings with the Lakers’ front office.

“LeBron made it clear to Earvin and me that it was one of the things he was so excited about,” Pelinka said. “We all know when you’re hanging around youth, it’s exciting. I keep thinking it’s going to add fuel to his rocket pack, just to be around young, energetic guys who play fast and play hard. There’s an innocence to being able to shape them and mold them.“

“I think a player at LeBron’s career stage, it’s going to be really incredible for him to feel like he’s giving back to the game and helping shape these young guys. He didn’t necessarily have that experience the way the Cleveland team was built. So we purposely wanted this team to be built very differently than the past one he has played with. I really think the youth is going to be a mutually beneficial thing.

“Bring joy back to him, being around the young guys, shaping their careers. And then of course the influence he’s going to have on making those guys better. We’ve seen that here before with Magic shaping a team, with Kobe shaping a team. Now it’s LeBron’s turn to have a blank canvas to put his imprint on the DNA of this team.”

It can work both ways: James raising the bar so the young Lakers’ basketball IQ can pass postseason tests, James operating freer and easier than when he looked like a sweat-soaked Northeast Ohio factory worker singlehandedly laboring so the company was getting something up out of the smokestack.“

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/the-point/180713-lebrons-basketball-mind-will-push-lakers-boundaries

It feels so incredible that some of us have been envisioning this for over a year. Now we’re seeing it play out in real time.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Durant is one of the most sensitive and insecure NBA player in the world right now.

I do believe he leaves GS next year. And as much I’d love to believe he joins LeBron, he’s the type that would likely go to NY/Brooklyn where he can make it “his” team, not Steph’s team, not in LA to be part of LeBron’s team, and try to prove to people he can win it himself in “his” team

I don't blame him for that, his rings with GS are similar to Kobe's rings with Shaq -- reasonable or not, winning outside of GS is what will validate his previous rings to the general public, just like '09 and '10 validated Kobe's.

I imagine he either stays in GSW for easy rings or goes somewhere where he can get full credit. He's not gonna come be Robin to LeBron. Then again, I was totally wrong about him in 2016 so who knows?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Excellent piece by Ding. I was looking forward to his commentary on LeBron signing with the Lakers and it was well worth the wait:

Quote:
James wants to play more like the young Lakers have, running and riffing without getting tired because of the front office’s mandate for no more than 8 percent body fat.

James is more of a kid-at-heart goofball than you would think given his global icon stature. Those close to James have no doubt that he will revel in the mentoring role—in part because it will be so much fun for the not-yet-old dog to be around so many eager pups.

James conveyed some of that to Johnson and Rob Pelinka in his meetings with the Lakers’ front office.

“LeBron made it clear to Earvin and me that it was one of the things he was so excited about,” Pelinka said. “We all know when you’re hanging around youth, it’s exciting. I keep thinking it’s going to add fuel to his rocket pack, just to be around young, energetic guys who play fast and play hard. There’s an innocence to being able to shape them and mold them.“

“I think a player at LeBron’s career stage, it’s going to be really incredible for him to feel like he’s giving back to the game and helping shape these young guys. He didn’t necessarily have that experience the way the Cleveland team was built. So we purposely wanted this team to be built very differently than the past one he has played with. I really think the youth is going to be a mutually beneficial thing.

“Bring joy back to him, being around the young guys, shaping their careers. And then of course the influence he’s going to have on making those guys better. We’ve seen that here before with Magic shaping a team, with Kobe shaping a team. Now it’s LeBron’s turn to have a blank canvas to put his imprint on the DNA of this team.”

It can work both ways: James raising the bar so the young Lakers’ basketball IQ can pass postseason tests, James operating freer and easier than when he looked like a sweat-soaked Northeast Ohio factory worker singlehandedly laboring so the company was getting something up out of the smokestack.“

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/the-point/180713-lebrons-basketball-mind-will-push-lakers-boundaries

It feels so incredible that some of us have been envisioning this for over a year. Now we’re seeing it play out in real time.

Lebron must've sent Jeanie flowers when Princess Cujo died.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
GTL wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Do it Magic!

That was you?!?!?

Ya
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 726, 727, 728 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 727 of 2079
Jump to: