The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 775, 776, 777 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
how about a separate thread for all this Lebron vs Kobe nonsense? Where people not interested in such squabbles can just avoid that thread and any spill over in other threads is simply deleted

I think it would be a dead end thread. No one is going to convince another to think differently. It wouldn't be a rant thread with stats to support ones particular angle.
It's up to the Mods but I think it would only make for more discord, IMO.

but thats the point. Let that be the cess pool thread where people argue in circles and people who dont want to deal with that simply dont read that thread and can have Lebron/Laker discussions without it diverting into a anti-lebron or Kobe comparison topic
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
deal wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
how about a separate thread for all this Lebron vs Kobe nonsense? Where people not interested in such squabbles can just avoid that thread and any spill over in other threads is simply deleted

I think it would be a dead end thread. No one is going to convince another to think differently. It wouldn't be a rant thread with stats to support ones particular angle.
It's up to the Mods but I think it would only make for more discord, IMO.

but thats the point. Let that be the cess pool thread where people argue in circles and people who dont want to deal with that simply dont read that thread and can have Lebron/Laker discussions without it diverting into a anti-lebron or Kobe comparison topic

Agree.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
God help me for asking this, but for the crowd that uses the fact that LeBron is 3-6 in the Finals as an argumentative point...would it be better if he was 3-0 and lost early in the playoffs those other 6 years instead?

It's such a weird point to make.

It is flawed thinking, just like those thinking the Bills sucked because they lost 3 Super Bowls. Only for some reason that thinking doesn’t extend to Magic and Kareem. I’d rather be first than second, just as I would prefer being second instead of third. I never gave much validity to that kind of thinking.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
God help me for asking this, but for the crowd that uses the fact that LeBron is 3-6 in the Finals as an argumentative point...would it be better if he was 3-0 and lost early in the playoffs those other 6 years instead?

NOBODY is saying that it's better to lose before the Finals than it is to make the finals and lose. NOBODY. That's just one of the extreme/hyperbolic retorts that people predictably go to whenever someone brings "rings" into the discussion. Just like "so Robert Horry is the GOAT since he has 7 rings, right? durrrrrrr...." It lacks any sort of context like many of these discussions do.

What they are saying though, is that when comparing players of a similar level of greatness then YES, championships and finals records SHOULD definitely come into play.

You seriously going to sit there and pretend like Finals record and losses weren't treated like the end all be all of GOATNESS during Kobe's era (used to conveniently degrade him in comparison to MJ) and that now all of a sudden in the LeBron era the goalposts have shifted (in order to "white knight/protect" LeBron's GOAT legacy). Because that's definitely been my perception of things. And even Kobe said as much in that bleacher report interview where he said for him growing up it was ALWAYS about rings.

In NFL, do you think if Tom Brady's career played out exactly how its played out except he was 3-5 in the Superbowl instead of 5-3, would he be considered the GOAT? Do you think if Peyton Manning was 4-0 in the Superbowl instead of 2-2 he would be in the GOAT discussion more than he is now? And this is in a sport where the QB doesn't even play half of the game. And we've seen how a defense or a team can carry a QB to a ring (like they did with Manning on his final championship).

But now in NBA, where one player has way more impact than arguably any other major team sport, and said player plays the entire game and both sides of the ball, the goalposts have been shifted for LeBron in order to "cushion" his legacy. It really is quiet pathetic how many excuses, allowances and justifications the media and the fans have had to make for this guy in contrast to Kobe (who they would do the exact opposite to).

Just the mere fact that most media, casual fans and even Lakers fans on this board think that LeBron is "under absolutely no pressure" to delivery a championship to the Lakers, shows that he's judged under a different standard.

Its LeBron... ON THE LAKERS. But all of a sudden he's exempt from the pressure of delivering a championship to this franchise that every other all-time great Laker before him faced?

I roll my eyes every time people claim that LeBron has "the most pressure of any athlete ever". Having people constantly shift the GOAT goalposts for you and make excuses for your paltry finals loss isn't pressure. Having people hand you the GOAT title when you have less rings than players like MJ, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Kareem, Magic, etc. isn't pressure. Having people preemptively give you a pass for not delivering a championship to the Lakers isn't pressure. It's the exact opposite of pressure.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

It is flawed thinking, just like those thinking the Bills sucked because they lost 3 Super Bowls. Only for some reason that thinking doesn’t extend to Magic and Kareem. I’d rather be first than second, just as I would prefer being second instead of third. I never gave much validity to that kind of thinking.

4 Super Bowls. People think the Bills suck because they lost 4 Super Bowls. If they lost 3, they'd be fine.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

It's so ironic, the last folks you'd expect to use that as an argument are people who are fans of the Lakers. No player has a worse Finals record than Jerry West, but Laker fans don't seem to hold that against him.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

It's so ironic, the last folks you'd expect to use that as an argument are people who are fans of the Lakers. No player has a worse Finals record than Jerry West, but Laker fans don't seem to hold that against him.

So if Jerry West was 8-1 in the Finals instead of 1-8 you don't think it would affect his all-time ranking and fans perception of him at all?

If West was 8-1 in the Finals people would definitely be putting him over Kobe as the 2nd greatest SG of all-time and would be viewed as the Bill Russell of perimeter players (a guy who would be on everyone's short list for GOAT because of the overwhelming amount of championship success that couldn't be ignored). And he would rank higher on the all-time Lakers list as well. It definitely matters...
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

When comparing players of similar level, then yes, total rings and finals record absolutely matters.

I am of the belief that had the Lakers and Magic won in 1991 vs MJ's Bulls, Magic would be considered the GOAT by majority instead of the other way around.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Omg why are we even discussing Kobe vs Lebron?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Judah wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

So if Jerry West was 8-1 in the Finals instead of 1-8 you don't think it would affect his all-time ranking and fans perception of him at all?

If West was 8-1 in the Finals people would definitely be putting him over Kobe as the 2nd greatest SG of all-time and would be viewed as the Bill Russell of perimeter players (a guy who would be on everyone's short list for GOAT because of the overwhelming amount of championship success that couldn't be ignored). And he would rank higher on the all-time Lakers list as well. It definitely matters...

I think the question wasn’t if Jerry West was 8-1 instead of 1-8, the question was would it have looked better if Jerry West was 1-0 and not make finals the other 8 times?
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

This thread makes you question mankind
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

Cause we got fans who can’t respect the fact that LeBron had the guts to come here while dozens of FAs did not, I already have LeBron ranked as 1 of the best Lakers of all time just based on the fact that he came here alone with a young team.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Judah wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Except, this isn't golf, tennis, or boxing. Basketball is a team sport. Individual players neither win championships on their own or lose them. You can contextualize most losses. We could contextualize the loss to Boston in 2008 by arguing that Bynum and Ariza were both hurt. Celtic fans could argue that Perkins got hurt in Game 6 in 2010 and couldn't play in Game 7, and also that they lost several, key role players from that 2008 squad that weren't around for that 2010 series. None of these arguments are invalid. They're all reasonable in their own ways. That's why it's pointless.

But then again, I'm not as invested into these debates as most are. I gladly accept that there's no objective way to determine if Player X is ”better” than Player Y. In fact, ironically, Kobe believes that as well. This stuff is totally boring to me. The most useful thing you've posted in this thread was the SVP quote where he compared it to what flavor of ice cream someone prefers. That's exactly what this debate is. It's a ruthless defense of which flavor is ”better.” I find it more and more silly as I observe people freaking out over this stuff.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

What they are saying though, is that when comparing players of a similar level of greatness then YES, championships and finals records SHOULD definitely come into play.

That still makes no sense to me. I see factoring in total rings; but I don't get why finals records matter.

Again, that's just saying that getting to the finals and losing should penalize a guy's reputation, but not making the playoffs or losing in the first round shouldn't.

Seems completely illogical to me.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

As a person who is ecstatic about Lebron on the Lakers, that 3-6 record simply tells me that the EAST is wack and Lebron was fortunate to be playing in the EAST. And I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Judah wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

If West won 8 rings, of course his reputation would be higher.

But that's not the point. The real question is, "Do you think that if Jerry West didn't get to the finals those 8 years, and instead didn't make the playoffs at all, he would have a better reputation because his 'finals record' would be 1-0 instead of 1-8?"

I don't.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Judah wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I think the question wasn’t if Jerry West was 8-1 instead of 1-8, the question was would it have looked better if Jerry West was 1-0 and not make finals the other 8 times?

1-0 would look better to me instead of 1-8

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Cause we got fans who can’t respect the fact that LeBron had the guts to come here while dozens of FAs did not, I already have LeBron ranked as 1 of the best Lakers of all time just based on the fact that he came here alone with a young team.

This stupidity right here is why "Kobe Stans" clap back...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

pkflyers wrote:
governator wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Judah wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

1-0 would look better to me instead of 1-8

Again, this makes no sense to me. In the above scenario, West would only be "1-0" because you were pretending the 8 years he didn't get to the finals don't exist.

The reality is any year any player doesn't win a ring he lost; the only question is at what point he lost -- in the finals, in the conference finals, in the second round, in the first round, or in the regular season.

This is like Alice in Wonderland. It makes no sense.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:

This kind of comment is why I wonder if you guys even care that we got a all time great on our team, instead of actually saying that he did in fact have the guts to come here without a 2nd star and a unproven team, you go ahead and bring up Kobe fanatics even though part of my post was about appreciating his competitive nature by coming to the WC on a young team.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

NOBODY is saying that it's better to lose before the Finals than it is to make the finals and lose. NOBODY. That's just one of the extreme/hyperbolic retorts that people predictably go to whenever someone brings "rings" into the discussion. Just like "so Robert Horry is the GOAT since he has 7 rings, right? durrrrrrr...." It lacks any sort of context like many of these discussions do.

You seriously going to sit there and pretend like Finals record and losses weren't treated like the end all be all of GOATNESS during Kobe's era (used to conveniently degrade him in comparison to MJ) and that now all of a sudden in the LeBron era the goalposts have shifted (in order to "white knight/protect" LeBron's GOAT legacy). Because that's definitely been my perception of things. And even Kobe said as much in that bleacher report interview where he said for him growing up it was ALWAYS about rings.

In NFL, do you think if Tom Brady's career played out exactly how its played out except he was 3-5 in the Superbowl instead of 5-3, would he be considered the GOAT? Do you think if Peyton Manning was 4-0 in the Superbowl instead of 2-2 he would be in the GOAT discussion more than he is now? And this is in a sport where the QB doesn't even play half of the game. And we've seen how a defense or a team can carry a QB to a ring (like they did with Manning on his final championship).

But now in NBA, where one player has way more impact than arguably any other major team sport, and said player plays the entire game and both sides of the ball, the goalposts have been shifted for LeBron in order to "cushion" his legacy. It really is quiet pathetic how many excuses, allowances and justifications the media and the fans have had to make for this guy in contrast to Kobe (who they would do the exact opposite to).

Just the mere fact that most media, casual fans and even Lakers fans on this board think that LeBron is "under absolutely no pressure" to delivery a championship to the Lakers, shows that he's judged under a different standard.

Its LeBron... ON THE LAKERS. But all of a sudden he's exempt from the pressure of delivering a championship to this franchise that every other all-time great Laker before him faced?

I roll my eyes every time people claim that LeBron has "the most pressure of any athlete ever". Having people constantly shift the GOAT goalposts for you and make excuses for your paltry finals loss isn't pressure. Having people hand you the GOAT title when you have less rings than players like MJ, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Kareem, Magic, etc. isn't pressure. Having people preemptively give you a pass for not delivering a championship to the Lakers isn't pressure. It's the exact opposite of pressure.

Friend, look, I applaud you for your passion, really I do.

I think the majority of us here agree that Kobe is a beloved Laker for life, and that he was mistreated more often than not by the media.

But LeBron is our guy NOW, he’s the franchise guy. He’s our current generation Kobe...so why not just appreciate that without the hyperbolic Kobe/LeBron comparisons?

We all (for the most part) love and appreciate what Kobe did for this franchise.

I just want us to grant LBJ the same respect, at least in the sense that he chose to play for us, and will root for him to succeed here as much as we wanted Bryant to succeed.

Heck, we’re fortunate enough to have both of these guys play for the Lakers! Arguably the two best basketball players on the planet in the last 18 years...I mean come on, how exciting is that?!

Cheers to being Lakers fans, the greatest sports organization on the planet.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Batguano wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Friend, look, I applaud you for your passion, really I do.

I think the majority of us here agree that Kobe is a beloved Laker for life, and that he was mistreated more often than not by the media.

But LeBron is our guy NOW, he’s the franchise guy. He’s our current generation Kobe...so why not just appreciate that without the hyperbolic Kobe/LeBron comparisons?

We all (for the most part) love and appreciate what Kobe did for this franchise.

I just want us to grant LBJ the same respect, at least in the sense that he chose to play for us, and will root for him to succeed here as much as we wanted Bryant to succeed.

Heck, we’re fortunate enough to have both of these guys play for the Lakers! Arguably the two best basketball players on the planet in the last 18 years...I mean come on, how exciting is that?!

Cheers to being Lakers fans, the greatest sports organization on the planet.

george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Looks like yet another thread that's been derailed by the Anti-Lebron crowd, by bringing up a player(Kobe) that has nothing to do with this thread.

Great job guys.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Again, LS had just warned everyone not to do this. Do not call other fans losers or nuts, etc.

I'm just highlighting a few of these as I browse, but this is not rocket science. If you call other fans derogatory names, that normally earns a suspension.

No calling people stupid, morons, stans, idiots, losers, not real fans, etc. Even your 5-year old knows this. Okay? Thanks. Last warning.

CL-

LS was obviously well-intentioned, but merging that post into this thread had exactly the opposite effect that LS was intending. It should have been locked or moved to the Lebron piss and moan thread, as it has set off the exact “Kobe vs Lebron” debate that LS was looking to avoid.

Given how that post was written, this was inevitable. Can we please move it to the Lebron piss and moan thread so that this thread can go back to talking about Lebron and just Lebron ?

I understand the concept of wanting to give someone on LG exposure, but there’s got to be some sort of minimum quality standard, and whatever that standard is, the post in question failed to achieve it.

Thanks for your consideration.

Respectfully,

BSH

george w kush wrote:
Looks like yet another thread that's been derailed by the Anti-Lebron crowd, by bringing up a player(Kobe) that has nothing to do with this thread.

Great job guys.

Agreed, babyskyhook and george. I think that silly blog post pretty much derailed this thread.

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:

This kind of comment is why I wonder if you guys even care that we got a all time great on our team, instead of actually saying that he did in fact have the guts to come here without a 2nd star and a unproven team, you go ahead and bring up Kobe fanatics even though part of my post was about appreciating his competitive nature by coming to the WC on a young team.

And he signed longer here than he ever did with Cleveland, 4 years (3+1) - I believe he signed a similar contract with Miami, I could be wrong, which gives us the flexibility to build around him, even as he ages, since he’s a freak of nature and like fine wine, gets better in time
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 775, 776, 777 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 776 of 2079
Jump to: