The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 776, 777, 778 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Looks like yet another thread that's been derailed by the Anti-Lebron crowd, by bringing up a player(Kobe) that has nothing to do with this thread.

Great job guys.

Pot, meet kettle...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

Friend, look, I applaud you for your passion, really I do.

I think the majority of us here agree that Kobe is a beloved Laker for life, and that he was mistreated more often than not by the media.

But LeBron is our guy NOW, he’s the franchise guy. He’s our current generation Kobe...so why not just appreciate that without the hyperbolic Kobe/LeBron comparisons?

We all (for the most part) love and appreciate what Kobe did for this franchise.

I just want us to grant LBJ the same respect, at least in the sense that he chose to play for us, and will root for him to succeed here as much as we wanted Bryant to succeed.

Heck, we’re fortunate enough to have both of these guys play for the Lakers! Arguably the two best basketball players on the planet in the last 18 years...I mean come on, how exciting is that?!

Cheers to being Lakers fans, the greatest sports organization on the planet.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
God help me for asking this, but for the crowd that uses the fact that LeBron is 3-6 in the Finals as an argumentative point...would it be better if he was 3-0 and lost early in the playoffs those other 6 years instead?

It's such a weird point to make.

Perfect number syndrome, a close relative of round number syndrome.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Omg why are we even discussing Kobe vs Lebron?

Cause we got fans who can’t respect the fact that LeBron had the guts to come here while dozens of FAs did not, I already have LeBron ranked as 1 of the best Lakers of all time just based on the fact that he came here alone with a young team.

This stupidity right here is why "Kobe Stans" clap back...

This kind of comment is why I wonder if you guys even care that we got a all time great on our team, instead of actually saying that he did in fact have the guts to come here without a 2nd star and a unproven team, you go ahead and bring up Kobe fanatics even though part of my post was about appreciating his competitive nature by coming to the WC on a young team.

And he signed longer here than he ever did with Cleveland, 4 years (3+1) - I believe he signed a similar contract with Miami, I could be wrong, which gives us the flexibility to build around him, even as he ages, since he’s a freak of nature and like fine wine, gets better in time

If we are winning titles under his current contract I could see him re-signing with us again, I see him playing until his early 40’s like Kareem and Vince Carter.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Come on guys (and gals) - Lets rejoice...seriously...

We have such a badass season of Lakers basketball ahead of us.

I’m probably being naive here, but I just want everyone here to share the same excitement I’m feeling.

Pretty sure the majority are, and I don’t expect everyone to feel the same way I feel, but I can’t help but get giddy at the idea of the Lakers being that much closer to truly contending for a championship.

It’s such an amazing feeling. You all know it very well. We’ve been there quite a few times.

LeBron gets us closer to that reality.

Lets come together on this one...

It takes me back to our early 2000’s titles (and for many, back to the 80’s showtime era), the smell of Lakers dominance in the air...specific music that I remember from those days that reminds me of Horry hitting the big 3 against Sacramento.

Or the late 2000’s, and getting that oh so amazing championship against those green goblins. The feeling that everything in the world was just right.

We’re so close to that feeling.

It’s right there.

And maybe I’m being selfish, but I want all of us to relish in that feeling.

Because deep down, I know all of us here (sans maybe the lone Spurs and Pacers fan, ahem) have our own memories of where we were when each of those championships were won.

Hopefully soon, we can all create new memories with new championships. That’s the end game in all this, right?

Cheers.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

I’m probably being naive here, but I just want everyone here to share the same excitement I’m feeling.

Pretty sure the majority are, and I don’t expect everyone to feel the same way I feel, but I can’t help but get giddy at the idea of the Lakers being that much closer to truly contending for a championship.

It’s such an amazing feeling. You all know it very well. We’ve been there quite a few times.

It takes me back to our early 2000’s titles (and for many, back to the 80’s showtime era), the smell of Lakers dominance in the air...specific music that I remember from those days that reminds me of Horry hitting the big 3 against Sacramento.

Or the late 2000’s, and getting that oh so amazing championship against those green goblins. The feeling that everything in the world was just right.

It’s right there.

Because deep down, I know all of us here (sans maybe the lone Spurs and Pacers fan, ahem) have our own memories of where we were when each of those championships were won.

Hopefully soon, we can all create new memories with new championships. That’s the end game in all this, right?

Cheers.

Good post, we all need to come together and unite and cheer for the team..
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
GTL wrote:

It’s right there.

Cheers.

pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
governator wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Judah wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
God help me for asking this, but for the crowd that uses the fact that LeBron is 3-6 in the Finals as an argumentative point...would it be better if he was 3-0 and lost early in the playoffs those other 6 years instead?

It's such a weird point to make.

It's so ironic, the last folks you'd expect to use that as an argument are people who are fans of the Lakers. No player has a worse Finals record than Jerry West, but Laker fans don't seem to hold that against him.

So if Jerry West was 8-1 in the Finals instead of 1-8 you don't think it would affect his all-time ranking and fans perception of him at all?

If West was 8-1 in the Finals people would definitely be putting him over Kobe as the 2nd greatest SG of all-time and would be viewed as the Bill Russell of perimeter players (a guy who would be on everyone's short list for GOAT because of the overwhelming amount of championship success that couldn't be ignored). And he would rank higher on the all-time Lakers list as well. It definitely matters...

I think the question wasn’t if Jerry West was 8-1 instead of 1-8, the question was would it have looked better if Jerry West was 1-0 and not make finals the other 8 times?

1-0 would look better to me instead of 1-8

Again, this makes no sense to me. In the above scenario, West would only be "1-0" because you were pretending the 8 years he didn't get to the finals don't exist.

The reality is any year any player doesn't win a ring he lost; the only question is at what point he lost -- in the finals, in the conference finals, in the second round, in the first round, or in the regular season.

This is like Alice in Wonderland. It makes no sense.

Sure it doesnt "make sense", but thats the reality of the situation, and a reason why West isnt ranked as high as he should be

When he made it to the final stage, he lost more than he won, plain and simple

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

So... anyone catch that video of LeBron playing 5v5 at the Lakers facility?
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

https://youtu.be/ujrWrAt0XAU
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Screamin’ A has us top 3 in the West with LBJ leading the way-

https://youtu.be/ft0JFg92vwk
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
epak wrote:

https://youtu.be/ujrWrAt0XAU

Hopefully we get more footage SOON.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

SAS has been pro-Laker almost all summer, although he did say we will get blown out on Christmas, he’s 1 of the few who seem to give this team a chance.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

Call me the optimist but that's where I've had us as well. I honestly think there's NO team we can't beat in a 7 game series other than GSW. Houston? Yeah, we'll see about that.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
GTL wrote:

Call me the optimist but that's where I've had us as well. I honestly think there's NO team we can't beat in a 7 game series other than GSW. Houston? Yeah, we'll see about that.

I think the adjustment period early in the season will keep us lower than the 3 seed, but come playoff time, no one's going to want to face us.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

It’s right there.

Cheers.

Great positivity, bro.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

So back to our current Laker LBJ...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

SAS knows how to get clicks. The truth is that no one knows how this team is going to fit together. The media pundits are just cranking out filler and clickbait this time of year.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

And SAS loves to change his opinions on matters and then scream that everyone misunderstood him
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

LBJ be lovin our new practice facility! Having the most state of the art practice facility was probably on his mind when making his decision to come to L.A.

Anyway, I wasn't an advocate of Bron coming to the Lakers, but now that he is, I am just as excited as anyone else to see this new season. Especially with all the new pieces, I get the feeling that if this team gels, it's gonna be magical!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
When comparing players of similar level, then yes, total rings and finals record absolutely matters.

I am of the belief that had the Lakers and Magic won in 1991 vs MJ's Bulls, Magic would be considered the GOAT by majority instead of the other way around.

So using team success to compare individual players somehow makes sense?
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
When comparing players of similar level, then yes, total rings and finals record absolutely matters.

I am of the belief that had the Lakers and Magic won in 1991 vs MJ's Bulls, Magic would be considered the GOAT by majority instead of the other way around.

So using team success to compare individual players somehow makes sense?

Was thinking about this recently actually because of all the discussions here.

Long story short and only in my opinion - using team success to compare individual players makes the most sense in basketball because one player can change the trajectory of an entire team while that's not typically the case in the other major team sports.

In basketball, I think winning at least one championship is the ticket to getting in the conversation. This is why Barkley and Malone never get real consideration. That's just the way it is... After winning a championship, then and only then can these "fun" discussions start. How can Lebron get GOAT consideration when Kobe can't if he's got two less rings? We get into nuances, e.g. an argument for Magic, like Magic's five rings were tougher than Kobe's five because he had to go up against the Celtics and Pistons all those years. Or if the Warriors go down as one of the greatest teams of all time, Lebron's one ring against them will weigh a lot more than his two in Miami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Was thinking about this recently actually because of all the discussions here.

Long story short and only in my opinion - using team success to compare individual players makes the most sense in basketball because one player can change the trajectory of an entire team while that's not typically the case in the other major team sports.

In basketball, I think winning at least one championship is the ticket to getting in the conversation. This is why Barkley and Malone never get real consideration. That's just the way it is... After winning a championship, then and only then can these "fun" discussions start. How can Lebron get GOAT consideration when Kobe can't if he's got two less rings? We get into nuances, e.g. an argument for Magic, like Magic's five rings were tougher than Kobe's five because he had to go up against the Celtics and Pistons all those years. Or if the Warriors go down as one of the greatest teams of all time, Lebron's one ring against them will weigh a lot more than his two in Miami.

That’s reasonable. The problem comes with how to apply the concept. The logical conclusion is that ring counting trumps everything. I don’t think many people would agree with that (unless, of course, it happens to support the argument that you are making at the moment). My perspective is similar to what you suggest: winning a ring or two is a ticket to the conversation.

By the way, NFL QBs are the best analogy from another sport. Dan Marino is slowly drifting out of the discussions because he never won a ring. Dan Fouts drifted out a long time ago.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
GTL wrote:

It’s right there.

Cheers.

I'm willing to come together, and I'm willing to unite, but come together and unite? That seems redundant all over again.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
GTL wrote:

It’s right there.

Cheers.

I'm willing to come together, and I'm willing to unite, but come together and unite? That seems redundant all over again.

You can say that again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 776, 777, 778 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next
Page 777 of 2082
Jump to: