The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 781, 782, 783 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
How many times have we re-hashed this? Lol.

In a 10 year career, if you win 3 chips and make 7 NBA Finals, that is a substantially better accomplishment than a 10 year career with 3 chips and 7 lottery bound seasons.

How is this even a discussion that making the finals is always better than missing the playoffs entirely?

It’s not really a discussion, it’s just a few’s delusion.

Keep telling yourself that.

It's literally one of the main standards by which GOATness is measured. Except now that some of you like LeBron better you decided to be hypocrites about it and pretend like that's not the case. And pretend like it was never a measuring stick used by EVERYONE. It's all very convenient timing...

And yet by the same token EVERYONE also keeps bringing up LeBron’s 8 straight finals appearances as a big measuring stick for GOAT too. So making to the Finals does count too huh?

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that too.

you're just proving my point for me.

The goalposts have been shifted for LeBron. Like you said, now EVERYONE uses his Finals appearances as one of the main arguments for his GOATness. Answer me this, when Kobe was making 7 finals (coming out of the much tougher West), was it considered a HUGE accomplishment JUST to make it to the Finals? Or were the two Finals where he did make it but lost treated as tarnishes on his GOAT argument?

You want *context*?

You bring up LeBron’s 8 *straight* finals appearances as a knock because it was in the East yet...

If Kobe had made those 7 Finals appearances *straight* then you bet it would be brought up.

If Kobe had made those 7 Finals appearances as the #1 guy and not behind Shaq then you bet it would be more impressive.

That’s where the context is.

So now the 7 appearances have to happen consecutively for it to truly be considered GOAT? (even if he has to go through a much tougher conference with another dynasty team in the Spurs in that very conference).

Sounds like a lot of speculation on your part on how Kobe's career would be perceived. Especially considering how many narratives where spun (and continue to be spun) to try to put a glass ceiling on his greatness.

I was wondering how long it would take you to bring up Shaq.

Are we back in 2005?

So what’s your rebutted for the Shaq thing then? Inserting Lol emoji?

And sure, making 8 straight finals appearances apparently is worthy of GOAT discussion coz that’s what’s everyone’s talking about right now so... 🙄

I agree, that's what everyone is talking about NOW (now that they've conveniently shifted the GOALposts for LeBron in a way no other GOAT has had the luxury in ANY sport). Find me the "unanimous GOAT" of any other team sport that 1) has a losing finals record, 2) has less rings than the other GOAT candidates he's being compared to...

I'll wait...

P.S. if Kobe made 8 straight finals appearances (in the East) and only won 3, and had a finals losing record, you better believe that it would be used against his GOAT argument way more than its used against LeBron.

Why? Did you read somewhere that I said LeBron was goat?

All I’m doing is adding context from other perspectives because you keep bringing up other context from Kobe’s perspective.

Who knows what happens if Kobe made 8 straight finals in the East, but they would definitely consider that feat separate from W/L as an accomplishment by itself.

((LET'S END THE PERSONAL BACK AND FORTH OR TAKE IT TO PMs - JMK))
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jeez cut the quote tree boss
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

LeBron James is a Laker!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
LeBron James is a Laker!

But...but...muh Kobe.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

All I’m doing is adding context from other perspectives because you keep bringing up other context from Kobe’s perspective.

Who knows what happens if Kobe made 8 straight finals in the East, but they would definitely consider that feat separate from W/L as an accomplishment by itself.

You're right. There's no way of REALLY knowing unless we lived that alternate reality. But it ain't all that crazy to speculate given the general sports-media attitude towards Kobe vs their attitude towards LeBron throughout their respective careers. Just go back a couple of pages to the list of narratives they've flip-flopped on (aka they used it at the time to knock Kobe's greatness and then hypocritically backpedal on it when the same narrative or scenario can be applied to criticize LeBron).
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
LeBron James is a Laker!

But...but...muh Kobe.

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

You're right. There's no way of REALLY knowing unless we lived that alternate reality. But it ain't all that crazy to speculate given the general sports-media attitude towards Kobe vs their attitude towards LeBron throughout their respective careers. Just go back a couple of pages to the list of narratives they've flip-flopped on (aka they used it at the time to knock Kobe's greatness and then hypocritically backpedal on it when the same narrative or scenario can be applied to criticize LeBron).

Somewhere out in the multiverse all of this has played out. In one alternate universe Kobe got his 6'th ring because Stern did not veto the CP3 trade!
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
And you're just as guilty as shifting the narrative/facts to put LeBron on top. What exactly is the difference? (other than you thinking you're right and I'm wrong?)

Are you really that triggered that someone would make an argument for Kobe as the GOAT? But let me guess, if I was making an argument for say Kareem or Magic, you probably wouldn't have as much of an issue...

Yeah, that's normal... *insert emoji here*

Who said anything about being right or wrong? I don't care who's GOAT. It's a never ending argument.

I like other posters in this thread are also just bringing in some other perspectives like Jordan said. You seem too focus on having to prove Kobe as GOAT by tearing the newest Laker named LeBron down.

That's the real banana emoji.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

Summary of this thread:

“Welcome to the Lakers LeBron!”

“LeBron sucks, Kobe is better!”

/facepalm
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Batguano wrote:
And you're just as guilty as shifting the narrative/facts to put LeBron on top. What exactly is the difference? (other than you thinking you're right and I'm wrong?)

Are you really that triggered that someone would make an argument for Kobe as the GOAT? But let me guess, if I was making an argument for say Kareem or Magic, you probably wouldn't have as much of an issue...

Who said anything about being right or wrong? I don't care who's GOAT. It's a never ending argument.

I like other posters in this thread are also just bringing in some other perspectives like Jordan said. You seem too focus on having to prove Kobe as GOAT by tearing the newest Laker named LeBron down.

Insert banana emoji here.

I'm not tearing LeBron down, dude. You got it all wrong. I don't even have a problem if people think he's better than Kobe. My problem is in the extreme of that where "Kobe isn't even in the discussion". And I'm just pointing out the bs double-standards and hypocrisies in those narratives (many of which were fueled by the very pro-Jordan/LeBron and anti-Kobe sports media)

You're acting like I'm the one that wrote that stupid blog-boi article that seemed to trigger all this. I just walked in to a supposed LeBron thread that had ALREADY (predictably) spiraled into a LeBron vs Kobe pissing contest, and got swept up in it.

Believe me. NO ONE is happier than me that we got the BEST PLAYER ON THE PLANET on the Lakers once again.

My beef is with

1) The double-standard/hypocrisy that's been on display when judging these two players throughout their careers.

2) This belief that the clapback from "Kobe Stans" is silly or unjustified (or that it even means that they're not happy with having LeBron on the Lakers). When that pot has been stirring and brewing for their entire careers, what do you expect...?
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
Summary of this thread:

“Welcome to the Lakers LeBron!”

“LeBron sucks, Kobe is better!”

/facepalm

Hey guys, let's keep this LeBron thread from turning into another endless Kobe vs LeBron debate. Any mention of Kobe in this thread should really be avoided.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

I watched the press conference Rob Lowe did after we signed LBJ.
Literally the 2nd question was a reporter (old guy, recognized his voice, he's covered us for years and years) asking why LBJ hasn't come out and done his own statement. He brought up other past stars the Lakers signed through the decades and how they all came out almost immediately to say how much they were looking forward to playing for us. Rob Lowe deflected the question like a pro though.

There is a very real anti-LBJ sentiment in Lakerland. I don't understand it, but it's there.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
LeBron James is a Laker!

He is a good basketball player.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

1) The double-standard/hypocrisy that's been on display when judging these two players throughout their careers.

2) This belief that the clapback from "Kobe Stans" is silly or unjustified (or that it even means that they're not happy with having LeBron on the Lakers). When that pot has been stirring and brewing for their entire careers, what do you expect...?

These are not real things. That someone said something about someone and said a different something about someone else--like who cares? This doesn't matter in the actual universe. It is drama you have decided to attach yourself to and turn into some sort of weird dopamine release in your brain.

Kobe is retired and doing quite well, he doesn't need anyone to take these imaginary bullets for him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There is a very real anti-LBJ sentiment in Lakerland. I don't understand it, but it's there.

I understand it. But I don't take it seriously when some people claim that it is a significant number of people.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Batguano wrote:

These are not real things. That someone said something about someone and said a different something about someone else--like who cares? This doesn't matter in the actual universe. It is drama you have decided to attach yourself to and turn into some sort of weird dopamine release in your brain.

Kobe is retired and doing quite well, he doesn't need anyone to take these imaginary bullets for him.

They're not real things yet I step into a supposed LeBron thread that had already spiraled into yet another Kobe vs LeBron thing. That too must've been a figment of my imagination, right...?

This type of condescending dismissal is part of it. But whatever you need to put out there on a message board to make yourself feel better about your own situation, go ahead...
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I understand it. But I don't take it seriously when some people claim that it is a significant number of people.

Me neither. I think it's a noisy minority. I've never been a fan of LeBron myself and always enjoyed rooting against him (like I did with Jordan). But he's one of the best of all time, with some gas left in the tank, I'm thrilled!
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

PERSONAL BACK AND FORTH EXCAHNGES WILL NOT BE TOLERATED AND SUSPENSIONS HAVE BEGUN. THERE IS PLENTY TO DISCUSS REGARDING LEBRON JAMES, BUT THE KOBE COMPARISONS TEND TO LEAD TO SUSPENSIONS, SO PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Hey guys, let's keep this LeBron thread from turning into another endless Kobe vs LeBron debate. Any mention of Kobe in this thread should really be avoided.

Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I won't lie, I have a very close friend and two relatives ...that are among "those people". I don't get it. Reality is we never even faced Lebron in any series of significance. It's not like we signed Bibby during the early 2000's or Mchale after the clothesline. Bron has beat on us a bit but mostly just meaningless regular season games.

BTW, we traded for Nash who beat us in the playoffs (twice!) in Kobe's prime.
Where was all this angst when Nash came?!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Me neither. I think it's a noisy minority. I've never been a fan of LeBron myself and always enjoyed rooting against him (like I did with Jordan). But he's one of the best of all time, with some gas left in the tank, I'm thrilled!

I always admired Lebron as a player but disliked him as a person. I enjoyed seeing him go down in flames to the Magic in the playoffs during the puppet commercial season. I regard The Decision as a low point for modern sports. But in recent years, Lebron has become . . . not more likeable really, but less hateable and actually admirable in some ways (such as the school). I can't say that I'm thrilled that we basically gave Lebron his retirement contract, and I'm not sure that I will ever really think of him as a Laker. But I'm content with it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Killakobe81 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I won't lie, I have a very close friend and two relatives ...that are among "those people". I don't get it. Reality is we never even faced Lebron in any series of significance. It's not like we signed Bibby during the early 2000's or Mchale after the clothesline. Bron has beat on us a bit but mostly just meaningless regular season games.

BTW, we traded for Nash who beat us in the playoffs (twice!) in Kobe's prime.
Where was all this angst when Nash came?!

It's the most absurd aversion ever. Maybe it's his style of play that rubs these people the wrong way. Any praise for efficiency or passing is viewed as a subliminal assault on you-know-who because there never was a rivalry.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
AND SUSPENSIONS HAVE BEGUN.

About time. Thank you sir.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

I thought we were done with the 3-6 argument. Getting his team to the Finals in 2007 and 2018 are among his greatest accomplishments. Getting to the Finals 9 times is good, not bad.

The only real knock is the 2011 Finals. And there's no defense for that, he was awful.

Bottomline, if you have Lebron on your team, odds are, you have a good chance of getting to the Finals with the chance to win a title. Isn't that the point??
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Batguano wrote:
diando wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
diando wrote:

I'll chime in on this little topic, 3-0,3-1,...3-5 are all more impressive than 3-6, especially given the context of the GOAT discussion, the Eastern Conference since Jordan retired from the Bulls in 1998, and the Super Teams in Miami and Cleveland.

It does count a great deal because what we expect from the GOAT is getting it done on the when the pressure is at its greatest. I'd also say some persons have no remorse for LeBron losing to the Warriors due to him being the one who started this trend of players forming Super Teams. LeBron is a great player, but he isn't and will never be the GOAT.

To me Michael Jordan is the GOAT. #2 on that list is a tie of Kobe and Kareem. #4 is Magic #5 Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan

Then why is #2 a tie between Kobe and Kareem?

Based on your logic:

Kareem = 6-4

Kobe = 5-2

So that means Kareem > Kobe.

By the way, on that same logic...

Duncan = 5-1

So in that regard, Duncan > Kobe.

Robert Horry 7-0

Gosh! I never said it was the only factor, but it does matter.
Moreover, that silver medal argument is the single dumbest argument in the GOAT debate.
If Usain Bolt came 2nd more times that he came first in the Olympics and World Championships, then he would not be recognized as the greatest athlete ever. He was known for dominating when the stakes were at its highest. He wasn't the greatest in the Diamond League races either.
Furthermore, you cannot tell me that the Cavs were the second best team the past 2 years. The Spurs (2017) and Rockets, Pelicans, Jazz, Thunder and Blazers were better (2018). In fact even in Olympic Basketball, I don't really consider coming 2nd that great of an achievement due to luck of a tournament bracket. It takes supreme dominance to get an Olympic gold to counteract tournament luck, which is what the US is known for and anything short of that shows too. Hence, this is why LeBron has been berated over 2004 and 2006, but I digress.

On my ranking I factor in skills both on offense (footwork, shooting, scoring, passing) and defense, impact on the game, clutch factor (willingness to take firstly, and make the highest pressured shots), toughness (physically and mentally) and commitment to winning the game of basketball with integrity (this is where that finals record factors in).

Not to mention that Kobe has a 4-3 lead in his playoffs series vs Duncan's Spurs. Which to me is a greater tiebreaker to them both having 5 rings than Duncan having just lost 1 finals to Kobe's 2.

(*4-2 to be exact, since Kobe got injured before the 2013 series.)

As for Kareem. Kareem won ALL of his 6 rings with another Top 10/GOAT player by his side (first Oscar, then Magic). Kobe was able to win with Pau Gasol as his 2nd best player TWICE (a great HOF player, but nowhere near the level of Big O or Magic). And THAT'S why I would rank Kobe ahead of Kareem.

You guys keep doing the same thing you and all the fans have been doing for the past 20 years. Spinning one-sided narratives without any sort of context and relying on hyperbolic retorts: "ROBERT HORRY 7 RINGS, DURRRRRRR"

Stop. It.....

Hillarious!

Can’t handle brining up that Duncan is 5-1 vs Kobe being 5-2 after berating that more finals appearances don’t count when it comes to LeBron. Hyprocritical.

😂

Nope. It's called context, kiddo.

If Duncan and Kobe were tied in their playoff matchups, then I would give Duncan's better Finals record the edge. But it isn't, so...

Slow down and read and process. Stop going so much by fanatical emotion.

If it’s not Finals record, it’s matchup record, but if someone says something like Kobe is 6-15 against LeBron, you’ll find something else and other reasons to try to put Kobe on top.

That’s context for you

I assume by "6-15" you mean regular season matchup (since they never met in the playoffs)?

Way to prove my point for me. Just keep leaning on that hyperbole.

Nobody is saying it's one or the other (that's what YOU and the LeBron whiteknights are doing). We're saying it's a combination of things...

"Oh it's not the playoffs so it don't mean anything" of course if that was the other way around.... too obvious.

That's the real hyperbole.

Goat is an endless debate. Only thing you've proven is there is nothing

Batguano wrote:
Nobody is saying it's one or the other (that's what YOU and the LeBron whiteknights are doing). We're saying it's a combination of things...

Uh oh!

Attacking posters now?

Chief Linda not gonna like this.

So now you're trying to argue that regular season matchups matter as much or more than postseason? And that thinking that postseason matchups holds more value is a biased/convenient point of view....?

Ho'k....

So GOAT "is an endless debate", yet here you are, having a little meltdown about it online when someone doesn't agree with your point of view...

It does for you if Kobe was on top.

And ironically, you are here having this little meltdown in this thread trying to find ways to keep Kobe on top.

No. It does for EVERYONE who follows sports. You're the one that's seriously here trying to pretend like regular season matchups matter more than playoff matchups.

Also, you're the one that's running to the mods like a little kid who got his toy stolen in the sandbox and can't handle yourself trying to get me suspended or something.

But I'm the one having the "meltdown", right...?

Of course you missed the point because you take everything here literally. You will find ways to shift the metrics to put Kobe on top, that's the point. Then shift it to personal attacks with to hide your own meltdowns

Your own messages are riddled with emojis as well, dude.

((THIS PERSONAL BACK AND FORTH IS UNPLEASEANT TO READ AND EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT TO AVOID. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ENDING IT. FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT - JMK))

TOTALLY!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 781, 782, 783 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next
Page 782 of 2082
Jump to: