The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 887, 888, 889 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Jason Lloyd
@ByJasonLloyd

Also in this is George Hill on LeBron's reception tomorrow night: "If you boo him, you're an a**hole."

Oh George.
But what about the Lakers fans who boo Lebron?

Means they’re bigger idiots than Cavs fans
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
Jason Lloyd
@ByJasonLloyd

Also in this is George Hill on LeBron's reception tomorrow night: "If you boo him, you're an a**hole."

Oh George.
But what about the Lakers fans who boo Lebron?

Means they’re bigger idiots than Cavs fans

If you boo LeBron you are not a Laker fan, you are just caught in your feelings.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ingram should definitely adjust to LBJ. Not the other way around. And taking the toughest defensive assignment on the perimeter is him doing that. It's just not the whole picture.

But specifically when talking about Kobe vs. Lebron. Lebron turns every all star big into a floor spacer. Kobe could still dominate without making Pau and Shaq 3pt spot up shooters.

But he usually had a big man as a 1A or #2 option.

He never had to share the floor with a true #1/2 option wing player in his prime. (No, Glen "Palin" Rice ain't it ).

That's true. Another point for Kobe. Since he could get it done with just 1 other allstar and Bron has always needed 2. A floor spacing big. And another wing who could take the pressure off of Bron to close games.
But I still don't think Kobe would've turned Bosh for example into a 3PT floor spacer. LBJ needs the paint more than Kobe to dominate.
In alot of ways Bosh and Pau were comparable. They both lead their own teams (MEM and TOR) to the playoffs. And Bosh became the fall guy in MIA despite getting the short end of the stick. HE had to change his game more than anyone else. And HE arguably did the most work on defense with their pick and roll defense scheme.
Bosh and Pau both operated primarily on the elbow before joining up with their superstar teammates. But only 1 was forced into becoming a 3pt shooter.

I could also bring up Shaq's time in CLE being so horrible. But I realize he was over the hill so it muddies the waters when trying to make any conclusions.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ingram should definitely adjust to LBJ. Not the other way around. And taking the toughest defensive assignment on the perimeter is him doing that. It's just not the whole picture.

But specifically when talking about Kobe vs. Lebron. Lebron turns every all star big into a floor spacer. Kobe could still dominate without making Pau and Shaq 3pt spot up shooters.

But he usually had a big man as a 1A or #2 option.

He never had to share the floor with a true #1/2 option wing player in his prime. (No, Glen "Palin" Rice ain't it ).

That's true. Another point for Kobe. Since he could get it done with just 1 other allstar and Bron has always needed 2. A floor spacing big. And another wing who could take the pressure off of Bron to close games.
But I still don't think Kobe would've turned Bosh for example into a 3PT floor spacer. LBJ needs the paint more than Kobe to dominate.
In alot of ways Bosh and Pau were comparable. They both lead their own team's (MEM and TOR) to the playoffs. And Bosh became the fall guy in MIA despite getting the short end of the stick. HE had to change his game more than anyone else. And HE arguably did the most work on defense with their pick and roll defense scheme.
Bosh and Pau both operated primarily on the elbow before joining up with their superstar treatments. But only 1 was forced into becoming a 3pt shooter.

The question is actually how Kobe would play with 3 all stars who by themselves were high usage/team leading scorers.

Shaq/Kobe
Kobe/Pau (LO/Bynum)

I don't think it's coincidental that they built the team around a guard/big tandem, as it probably wouldn't have been the optimal trio to have another high usage perimeter player next to him. In the 2 rings year had Ariza/older MWP and Fisher.

LBJ has had to figure out playing with 3 all stars who all ran their own teams (Wade/Kyrie, Bosh/Love). I don't think it's feasible to perfectly divide the team up into 3 equal shares, and Kobe didn't really have to deal with it (and was successful regardless). So it's a bit of apples/oranges.

I also think it's not coincidental that LBJ never really worked with a traditional post up center (old Shaq for example). LBJ needed that spacing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Replace Fisher with Kyrie or Wade though and Kobe will have quite the transition.

Fisher/wing player (Ariza/MWP)'s low usage always helped Kobe.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
That's true. Another point for Kobe. Since he could get it done with just 1 other allstar and Bron has always needed 2.

I don't think this is the case. Lebron would have won with just Love in Cleveland if he wasn't facing a team that had 2 MVPs and 2 other all stars on the team? The most stacked team of all time has made it almost impossible to compete at the moment.

People talk about the Lakers having the potential to be the second best team in the West, and that's with just Lebron. But there's still a monster in the Warriors where people feel the need to have 3 stars.

Personally I think Lebron could win with just one other star on the Lakers if Durant wasn't at the Warriors.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
kikanga wrote:
That's true. Another point for Kobe. Since he could get it done with just 1 other allstar and Bron has always needed 2.

I don't think this is the case. Lebron would have won with just Love in Cleveland if he wasn't facing a team that had 2 MVPs and 2 other all stars on the team? The most stacked team of all time has made it almost impossible to compete at the moment.

People talk about the Lakers having the potential to be the second best team in the West, and that's with just Lebron. But there's still a monster in the Warriors where people feel the need to have 3 stars.

Personally I think Lebron could win with just one other star on the Lakers if Durant wasn't at the Warriors.

Kobe beat 1 MVP with 3 other all-stars
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
And just like that, Lebron is now 39.6% from 3 pt land for the year. He was behind the 8-ball for awhile. I expect him to finish at his career %, but it would be nice if can shoot close to 40% for the year. 52% overall, 28.8 pts. I've always admired his efficient stats from afar. Now we get to experience it.

One thing I've always noticed about him, and it's hard not to notice, is that he doesn't 'average' his numbers. He earns them. He doesn't fluctuate much from game to game except for outbursts like last night. He consistently puts up the same numbers on a nightly basis. Crazy.

when you have an above average basketball IQ, and your a freight train, and you can pass, and you are now willing to take a mid range jumper, a 3 ball, get to the ft line, and post up, and last but not least able to finish with either hand THRU contact. you will always get your numbers. only normal sized people have struggle days. all of our favorite guards had struggle moments. bron, not so much. because of how he's built and that ability to finish thru traffic with either hand is an uncanny combination. I dont think jordan could finish like that early in his career with either hand. that was always the case with bron. but bron is much larger than mike, kobe, and all of our favorites. This is something to look for when Zion gets into the nba. can he also finish thru contact with either hand. if the answer is yes. chalk up another hall of famer and another possible top 5 or 8 guy.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Replace Fisher with Kyrie or Wade though and Kobe will have quite the transition.

Sorry, but no. Replace Fisher with Kyrie/Wade and LA has another 3peat and more. Kobe prefered playing off ball, which is why Odom was essentially the point-forward, and Fish a spot up shooter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Kobe Jocker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sorry, but no. Replace Fisher with Kyrie/Wade and LA has another 3peat and more. Kobe prefered playing off ball, which is why Odom was essentially the point-forward, and Fish a spot up shooter.

Nah, you're missing the point. It's not about whether they win/lose more.

It's about usage/role. When you have 3 high usage all stars who are all accustomed to being the man, the point is usually one of the 3 will have to sublimate. Luckily for Kobe it was usually a 2 man tandem, with Odom/Bynum being pretty low usage bigs.

Bosh/Love became the 3rd wheel guys who still put up respectable numbers and made multiple all star games.

Nice try.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't think it's coincidental that they built the team around a guard/big tandem, as it probably wouldn't have been the optimal trio to have another high usage perimeter player next to him. In the 2 rings year had Ariza/older MWP and Fisher.

LBJ has had to figure out playing with 3 all stars who all ran their own teams (Wade/Kyrie, Bosh/Love). I don't think it's feasible to perfectly divide the team up into 3 equal shares, and Kobe didn't really have to deal with it (and was successful regardless). So it's a bit of apples/oranges.

I also think it's not coincidental that LBJ never really worked with a traditional post up center (old Shaq for example). LBJ needed that spacing.

To me, you're describing playing with a 3rd all star as a burden. I think that's where we disagree.
In Miami Wade was a top 5 player. And Bosh was probably top 10.
Kobe won 2 chips with Pau (top 10) and Odom (top 20?). Give Kobe that Miami team and I think Kobe wins more chips than Bron.
Kobe could draw double teams all the way out to midrange. We agree, Bron needs the paint to dominate. IMO, he needs a more specific roster to dominate.
And that's one reason why I'd take Kobe over Bron.
If I had to make an argument to downplay Kobe and boost up Lebron. I think the best one is. Kobe had a coach in a league of his own. Lebron never had that.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

To me, you're describing playing with a 3rd all star as a burden. I think that's where we disagree.
In Miami Wade was a top 5 player. And Bosh was probably top 10.
Kobe won 2 chips with Pau (top 10) and Odom (top 20?). Give Kobe that Miami team and I think Kobe wins more chips than Bron.
Kobe could draw double teams all the way out to midrange. Bron needs the paint and a more curated roster around him to dominate.
If I had to make an argument to downplay Kobe and boost up Lebron. I think the best one is. Kobe had a coach in a league of his own. Lebron never had that.

Easy to say that now, but he didn't exactly cozy up to Shaq being 1A. It cuts a bit both ways that Kobe wanted to be the man. If you have 3 high usage all stars, I just think that's how it goes. Look at the Warriors. It's KD/Curry and Klay is the 3rd guy on the totem pole.

Kobe and LBJ are fundamentally different players.

I've said for years Kobe's skills/talents > LBJ. If you put Kobe into LBJ's body...whoa. But I also think Kobe would unquestionably want to be the head of the family, and a 3rd high usage all star guy would end up like Love/Bosh IMO.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Easy to say that now, but he didn't exactly cozy up to Shaq being 1A. It cuts a bit both ways that Kobe wanted to be the man. If you have 3 high usage all stars, I just think that's how it goes. Look at the Warriors. It's KD/Curry and Klay is the 3rd guy on the totem pole.

I've said for years Kobe's skills/talents > LBJ. If you put Kobe into LBJ's body...whoa. But I also think Kobe would unquestionably want to be the head of the family, and a 3rd high usage all star guy would end up like Love/Bosh IMO.

I didn't think about factoring in personality reasons why it wouldn't work. I was just speaking specifically about on the court. That's a good argument. It would come down to the coach. Kobe has always looked fantastic in Olympic ball though. And he and Paul always had great synergy during all star games.
But 2003 Kobe was a different man than the one we remember later in his career. Personality wise.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I didn't think about factoring in personality reasons why it wouldn't work. I was just speaking specifically about on the court. That's a good argument. It would come down to the coach. Kobe has always looked fantastic in Olympic ball though. And he and Paul always had great synergy during all star games.
But 2003 Kobe was a different man than the one we remember later in his career. Personality wise.

In Olympic ball, everyone sublimates their ego. Look at Olympic Melo. Teams have been trying to conjure that for 5-6 years now to no avail.

But bear in mind, in Beijing, it was Kobe who finished for us. No doubt in my mind that a Kobe/LBJ duo could have easily been the best ever with LBJ carrying the load for 3 quarters and Mamba killing at the end. Kobe's talent level was higher b/c he didn't have that elite LBJ body which is basically tailored made to be a basketball Hercules.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

In Olympic ball, everyone sublimates their ego. Look at Olympic Melo. Teams have been trying to conjure that for 5-6 years now to no avail.

But bear in mind, in Beijing, it was Kobe who finished for us. No doubt in my mind that a Kobe/LBJ duo could have easily been the best ever with LBJ carrying the load for 3 quarters and Mamba killing at the end. Kobe's talent level was higher b/c he didn't have that elite LBJ body which is basically tailored made to be a basketball Hercules.

Olympic Melo is a little different IMO. He just shot better. He was MORE aggressive. As a 6th man bucket getter.
Kobe took a backseat unless the team needed a bucket. And he occupied his time shutting down the opposing team's best perimeter player.
And don't forget the all star games. He and Chris Paul went on 10 point runs by themselves. There was a reason we wanted Paul here with Bynum/Dwight. A big 3 was the plan.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Olympic Melo is a little different IMO. He just shot better. He was MORE aggressive. As a 6th man bucket getter.
Kobe took a backseat unless the team needed a bucket. And he occupied his time shutting down the opposing team's best perimeter player.
And don't forget the all star games. He and Chris Paul went on 10 point runs by themselves. There was a reason we wanted Paul here with Bynum/Dwight. A big 3 was the plan.

Right. But over a 100+ game stretch, more difficult to sublimate. That's why I'm a bigger fan of 2 all stars + depth over 3 all star players. I feel the 3rd player always ends up being a slightly diminished return with the opportunity cost being depth.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
James ISO nights are fun to watch but they need others involved IMO

It's because our young guys can't dominate and carry games that he's resorting to this. I'm pretty sure he could do this on a nightly basis but he's trying to let the young guys sink or swim.

I understand why he is forced to do it. As I said, good to see a dominant player on the roster again. Having that player that can take over a game is invaluable.

But the Lakers are walking a tightrope of relying on James taking over games and the development of the young players. When he is in ISO mode the other players are not learning or playing to their best skill sets.

For example, Ball is at his best when facilitating yet not bring long the ball up regularly. Ingram has ISO skills yet is rarely seeing the spacing he needs. The young guys tend to defer as a first resort instead of playing to their strengths.

James is showing why he is still among the Leagues best. Just not sure the best long term solution is for him to be dominating and playing 38 mpg as he is doing. Would prefer those performances be few and far between.

Tough situation though. Because they may drop some critical games trying to develop the rest of the roster. Part of the contradiction of James on this roster
our youth aint ready yet. so until then, he has to be super man james if you want to get into the playoffs. it is, what it is.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Right. But over a 100+ game stretch, more difficult to sublimate. That's why I'm a bigger fan of 2 all stars + depth over 3 all star players. I feel the 3rd player always ends up being a slightly diminished return with the opportunity cost being depth.

Maybe you are underestimating Kobe's IQ. I know the Shaq and Phil breakup was ugly after the 3 peat. But he did adjust well to our bootleg big 4 (Payton and Malone). Heck he even went out of his way to let Odom be Odom when he got here before Pau. The problem wasn't Kobe being too selfish before Pau got here. It was: Odom isn't a 2nd option on a championship team. And Smush and Kwame are severely flawed players.
I even remember the Ramon Sessions experiment. Kobe didn't treat him like Smush.
Kobe's too smart on the court to have a top 5 and top 10 player be a burden of too much talent, IMO.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

kobe could play with any smart PG. people think otherwise because they have never seen kobe with a real life PG except for GP and then the olympics. so if you give him a PG or Point forward in brons case. kobe is happy. because then he could just finally concentrate on what he loves most, which is to score the ball. Kobe unlike a lot of perimeter scorers actually knows how to play on and OFF the ball.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Maybe you are underestimating Kobe's IQ. I know the Shaq and Phil breakup was ugly after the 3 peat. But he did adjust well to our bootleg big 4 (Payton and Malone). Heck he even went out of his way to let Odom be Odom when he got here before Pau. The problem wasn't Kobe being too selfish before Pau got here. It was: Odom isn't a 2nd option on a championship team. And Smush and Kwame are severely flawed players.
I even remember the Ramon Sessions experiment. Kobe didn't treat him like Smush.
Kobe's too smart on the court to have a top 5 and top 10 player to be a burden of too much talent, IMO.
exactly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kobe's too smart on the court to have a top 5 and top 10 player to be a burden of too much talent, IMO.

Oh no, it's not about IQ. Again, I think Kobe's intelligence/skills/talents > LBJ. I don't even hesitate about that. It's the personality/alpha tendencies that are often a double edged sword. When you have 3 in-prime high usage all stars, the 3rd is going to have to take a backseat. Since 2000s, I can't think of a trio of such players where everything was equally divided up.

I think the Kobe v. LBJ is a digression. It's more of a team construct question. If it was Kobe/Shaq/prime TMac, I think someone would take a backseat naturally. I know that Kobe wouldn't take it in that case and be #3. That's for damn sure.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

kobe could play with any smart PG. people think otherwise because they have never seen kobe with a real life PG except for GP and then the olympics. so if you give him a PG or Point forward in brons case. kobe is happy. because then he could just finally concentrate on what he loves most, which is to score the ball. Kobe unlike a lot of perimeter scorers actually knows how to play on and OFF the ball.

But this is a hypothetical. He never had to deal with. We are just extrapolating while LBJ had to be in a 3 prime/high usage construct.

My point is this isn't really Kobe v. LBJ. It's a team building question.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think the Kobe v. LBJ is a digression. It's more of a team construct question.If it was Kobe/Shaq/prime TMac, I think someone would take a backseat naturally. I know that Kobe wouldn't take it in that case and be #3. That's for damn sure.

On a Kobe/Shaq/Prime TMac team. I think Kobe would do whatever is necessary to win. His points would drop. And his assists would probably go up. And Kobe would do his Olympic defense thing. Because we all know about prime TMac's defense. That was one of the biggest things that separated him from Kobe.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
[
I think the Kobe v. LBJ is a digression. It's more of a team construct question.If it was Kobe/Shaq/prime TMac, I think someone would take a backseat naturally. I know that Kobe wouldn't take it in that case and be #3. That's for damn sure.

On a Kobe/Shaq/Prime TMac team. I think Kobe would do whatever is necessary to win. His points would drop. And his assists would probably go up. And Kobe would do his Olympic defense thing. Because we all know about prime TMac's defense. That was one of the biggest things that separated him from Kobe.

I'm not so sure. Someone wouldn't be happy. Sharing 1A/1B status didn't work for either Shaq/Kobe. Adding a prolific TMac level player would have been rough. Heck, even Glen Rice was tough too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

This is a fun and civil conversation! Love it!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 887, 888, 889 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 888 of 2079
Jump to: