The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 979, 980, 981 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Chris Broussard is "hearing" that Lebron will return against Phoenix on Sunday, according to some guy on reddit.

EDIT: Just watched the video myself and he said "predicting", not "hearing". Some people just don't have ears

If Jazz loses tomorrow and with another 3 day rest between the wolves and suns game. He probably won't come back vs the Wolves.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject:

LeBron James has been teaching Kyle Kuzma and Brandon Ingram different moves and how to play off of the ball

Quote:
LeBron James has taken a personal interest in the young Lakers wings. He’s giving them tips that would make everyone better.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/1/22/18193786/la-lakers-news-lebron-james-mentoring-kyle-kuzma-brandon-ingram-athletic-stats-ipad
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LeBron James has been teaching Kyle Kuzma and Brandon Ingram different moves and how to play off of the ball

Quote:
LeBron James has taken a personal interest in the young Lakers wings. He’s giving them tips that would make everyone better.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/1/22/18193786/la-lakers-news-lebron-james-mentoring-kyle-kuzma-brandon-ingram-athletic-stats-ipad

Obviously a horrible teammate

Seriously though, if he can teach Kuzma to not run over everyone and teach Brandon how to consistently elevate over his defender, I'll love him to death.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Seriously though, if he can teach Kuzma to not run over everyone and teach Brandon how to consistently elevate over his defender, I'll love him to death.

Iron sharpens iron
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

He can also teach them how to communicate defensively. For all of his standing around, the defense has been better with LBJ on the court.
Kookie Monster
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Kookie Monster wrote:
Are all ya'll still feeling good about LeBron coming back vs Minnesota? Just asking.

He did 5v5 non-contact practice yesterday. That progresses to full contact, then he plays. He's close. I don't see why you continue to think he's a long way off

Because I'm not going by what's being reported. This is a serious injury. Not a day-to-day, weekly re-evaluation injury.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

So can we as a fanbase, lay off the "why isn't LBJ playing 135% every possession like it's Game 7 of the Finals?"

He's 34. He needs to pace himself and unfortunately, we may need "Playoff LBJ" to come out 3 months early just to make the playoffs. Wonder how much gas will be left in his tank once we hit the playoffs, especially b/c we do not have a consistent 2nd star next to him to ease the load.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Don’t understand the willingness to give him a free pass to cruise when he wants. Would you accept that from any other max player not named James?

Why shouldn’t the expectation of the team leader and max contract player to play as hard as the rest of his teammates? Why would the franchise make him the foundation of the franchise if he is too old, too injury prone or has to be preserved.

NBA is a competitive league. It is a long season of max efforts to win. Opponents are not going to take it easy on the old or injured. James plays under those same standards IMO. If he can’t then expectations and contract needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Many of my concerns of signing James to be the focal point are occurring. Constant chatter of trades, HC change, lack of patience and not enough help. Add inconsistent defense and now missed games due to injury. All that needs to happen now is bringing in his BFF Carmelo and my pre-season reluctance to sign James is pretty accurate.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

We accepted it with Kobe. At least some of you did. It is normal for scorers to coast on defense at around 32-33.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Don’t understand the willingness to give him a free pass to cruise when he wants. Would you accept that from any other max player not named James?

Why shouldn’t the expectation of the team leader and max contract player to play as hard as the rest of his teammates? Why would the franchise make him the foundation of the franchise if he is too old, too injury prone or has to be preserved.

NBA is a competitive league. It is a long season of max efforts to win. Opponents are not going to take it easy on the old or injured. James plays under those same standards IMO. If he can’t then expectations and contract needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Many of my concerns of signing James to be the focal point are occurring. Constant chatter of trades, HC change, lack of patience and not enough help. Add inconsistent defense and now missed games due to injury. All that needs to happen now is bringing in his BFF Carmelo and my pre-season reluctance to sign James is pretty accurate.

This is not unique to LBJ.

Even the Warriors guys are coasting right now, but that's b/c they have 4 all NBA level players.

What I'm talking about is the insistence that he approach every possession like it's game 7. He can't, especially on a team that doesn't have a 2nd star.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

We have younger guys on our teams that coast on defense.

And bear in mind, when LBJ was "coasting" this year he was putting up 27/8/7.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Not denying James’ greatness. Watching him every game has been enlightening in both good and bad ways. His contributions are impressive, but his uninspired defense and iso domination of a young developing team is counterproductive IMO. Are we judging him as we would any other max FA or as a Lakers marketing cash cow for his final seasons.

I was critical of Kobe’s Farewell Tour too. It created bad habits and expectations for young players. Same as I see with this James Farewell Tour.

Biggest problem in the comparison is the difference in the roster building timeline. With Kobe you are comparing an established team icon ending his career as the team rebuilds. With GS you have a historic roster in the midst ( nearing the end?) of a Championship cycle. With the Lakers you have a rebuilding team relying on a declining James to be the focal point for 3-4 years.

Didn’t like the timeline before, still skeptical it is viable to build a contender in this short window with James. Hope they prove me wrong.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Not denying James’ greatness. Watching him every game has been enlightening in both good and bad ways. His contributions are impressive, but his uninspired defense and iso domination of a young developing team is counterproductive IMO.

But we've seen the alternative to that, a 5-9 team that will soar to heights (OKC) but fail spectacularly (Cavs/Knicks).

I really think it's counterproductive to blame LBJ. He had the team in the 4th slot when he got hurt.

I think the Lakers overestimated how ready our young core would be.

The real roster culprit is not getting a 2nd all star. We are seeing the effects of that. If we had PG13 while LBJ was out, I'd wager we'd still be in the top 5-6 of the playoffs right now.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

The definition of do as I say, not as I do.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Kookie Monster wrote:
drae wrote:
Kookie Monster wrote:
Are all ya'll still feeling good about LeBron coming back vs Minnesota? Just asking.

He did 5v5 non-contact practice yesterday. That progresses to full contact, then he plays. He's close. I don't see why you continue to think he's a long way off

Because I'm not going by what's being reported. This is a serious injury. Not a day-to-day, weekly re-evaluation injury.

You don't have to go off what's reported, you just have to use a bit of common sense in the evaluations. It's been over 4 weeks since he went down, it's not a grade 3 strain or anything more serious, a grade 2 strain is up to 6 weeks recovery, so return should be imminent.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Not denying James’ greatness. Watching him every game has been enlightening in both good and bad ways. His contributions are impressive, but his uninspired defense and iso domination of a young developing team is counterproductive IMO.

But we've seen the alternative to that, a 5-9 team that will soar to heights (OKC) but fail spectacularly (Cavs/Knicks).

I really think it's counterproductive to blame LBJ. He had the team in the 4th slot when he got hurt.

The real roster culprit is not getting a 2nd all star. We are seeing the effects of that. If we had PG13 while LBJ was out, I'd wager we'd still be in the top 5-6 of the playoffs right now.

I agree with you to a point. The young core is inconsistent. Improving but still need seasoning. It is why I had and still have concerns of a quick fix plan that relies on “must win now because James’ shelf life is expiring”

Another thing to consider is how would the depth be if George and James were the team this season. Would they still have KCP, Rondo, Stephenson, Beasley, McGee ,Chandler?

Are we sure FAs are still breathlessly waiting to join James? Or is George the first to say “thanks, but no thanks” for the opportunity to be overshadowed by a declining megastar. Upside was always Championships. Is it still if James has to take off plays and nights to remain healthy, maybe?

I wouldn’t of rebuilt around Kobe in his last couple years as I wouldn’t around James in his. Makes for great media exposure and marketing opportunities but doubtful it will lead to being a true contender. If you can’t rely on your centerpiece max player to bring his “A” game every night then what have you got? Likely a borderline pretender until he retires.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Not denying James’ greatness. Watching him every game has been enlightening in both good and bad ways. His contributions are impressive, but his uninspired defense and iso domination of a young developing team is counterproductive IMO. Are we judging him as we would any other max FA or as a Lakers marketing cash cow for his final seasons.

He's been fine on defense overall while taking possessions off here and there. He's been much better on defense this year than last, he was pretty much not even there until ... Feb? So he has a reputation which people just apply automatically to this season but if you actually watched the games you'd see he's often engaged on defense this year.

The Lakers have no offensive system. At all. No set plays, nothing. Because of this Lebron and Rondo run the system they're use to while on the floor. Without these two players the Lakers are 4th last in offense, and really you just have Beasley or Ingram or Kuzma isoing anyway.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I agree with you to a point. The young core is inconsistent. Improving but still need seasoning. It is why I had and still have concerns of a quick fix plan that relies on “must win now because James’ shelf life is expiring”

Another thing to consider is how would the depth be if George and James were the team this season. Would they still have KCP, Rondo, Stephenson, Beasley, McGee ,Chandler?

Are we sure FAs are still breathlessly waiting to join James? Or is George the first to say “thanks, but no thanks” for the opportunity to be overshadowed by a declining megastar. Upside was always Championships. Is it still if James has to take off plays and nights to remain healthy, maybe?

I wouldn’t of rebuilt around Kobe in his last couple years as I wouldn’t around James in his. Makes for great media exposure and marketing opportunities but doubtful it will lead to being a true contender. If you can’t rely on your centerpiece max player to bring his “A” game every night then what have you got? Likely a borderline pretender until he retires.

But it's missing the point. When LBJ was playing, we didn't have this problem. He was guiding the team to the 4th best record in the West (after the team had a slow/poor start).

We may never know what happened with PG13, but they didn't get a 2nd star. And if they though one of our young core would be that, that was a bad miscalculation.

So blaming LBJ for the team's problem completely ignores that his absence is the problem. Big difference in saying LBJ on team is a problem vs. his absence from the team is a problem. I think it's clearly the latter.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

He brings his 'A' game every night in the playoffs, and even without bringing his 'A' game, he brought the Lakers to the top 4 in the West. Which given what this team has done without Lebron is remarkable. So imagine what he'd do in the playoffs while bringing his 'A' game every night.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

You guys are right. James is awesome. The Lakers are better with him on the court.

Here’s to hoping he can get back on it quickly. Not just for this season and playoffs but can remain on it for the next three seasons as the Lakers rely on him as the centerpiece of the team.

Only being slightly sarcastic, I hope this James plan will work now that they have chosen this path. For it to work he has to remain healthy and have an impact on a nightly basis no matter what the rest of the roster looks like.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
For it to work he has to remain healthy and have an impact on a nightly basis no matter what the rest of the roster looks like.

But that's the thing, for it to work we need that 2nd max. That has been the unequivocal goal all along. We have a half baked cake right now, so blaming it on LBJ seems a bit ridiculous.

The young core is auditioning to remain on the team long term. The 5-9 stretch has been less than convincing to me that we are better off without LBJ. But WITH LBJ, they are fine. With LBJ + 2nd star we are much better off, and allows the young core to develop and be properly placed in roles that they are ready for right now.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So can we as a fanbase, lay off the "why isn't LBJ playing 135% every possession like it's Game 7 of the Finals?"

He's 34. He needs to pace himself and unfortunately, we may need "Playoff LBJ" to come out 3 months early just to make the playoffs. Wonder how much gas will be left in his tank once we hit the playoffs, especially b/c we do not have a consistent 2nd star next to him to ease the load.

I'm looking at it the other way. All bets are off if the injury lingers. But if that's fully resolved, LeBron will have had a much lighter workload this season, including lower minutes. He played 100 games last year (82 regular, 18 playoff) while this year he probably goes low 60s in the regular season.

As for the playoffs, how far we go is probably more a function of the rest of the roster.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm looking at it the other way. All bets are off if the injury lingers. But if that's fully resolved, LeBron will have had a much lighter workload this season, including lower minutes. He played 100 games last year (82 regular, 18 playoff) while this year he probably goes low 60s in the regular season.

As for the playoffs, how far we go is probably more a function of the rest of the roster.

Sure, but I'm saying the intensity level will have to increase just to make the playoffs, then you have the playoffs. He'll probably end up playing 15-18 less games, but we've fallen out of the playoffs in that time span and will have quite the hurdle with our upcoming schedule.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Luke Walton said LeBron James “got out there with the guys and did some drills.” He won’t play Thursday. He has not been ruled out yet for Sunday’s game. Walton said James looked good, got up and down the floor, and didn’t take any contact.

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/1088182629667491840
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

The definition of do as I say, not as I do.

Exactly.
Also, "Here's how you shoot a basketball to make it go in from 3pt land. Now stand hear and practice this 1000 times a day."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 979, 980, 981 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 980 of 2079
Jump to: