The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1130, 1131, 1132 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I couldn’t disagree more on culture, that comes from the top. GS brought in some of the best executives and also brought in experts to mentor those executives. They fostered a culture of excellence and Kerr and the players know that the FO has their backs. Doubtful that you hear a Warrior executive bad mouth a former Warrior player. Sure they have talent, but teams with talent haven’t always won. It takes talent and a commitment from the FO to succeed. I doubt that Lebron feels warm and fuzzy about his future being in the hands of Linda and Kurt Rambis.

HOGWASH.

Bulls won 6 Championships in 8 years with a front office of Jerry Krause and Jerry Reinsdorf. THE OWNER AND GM OPENLY FEUDED WITH THE HEAD COACH AND WITH THE BEST THREE OR FOUR PLAYERS!

After breaking up the team, Krause arrogantly stated "front offices win championships" - and the team missed the next 6 playoffs and has made it out of the 1st round 4 times in the past 21 years.

"Front office establishing a culture" is gobbledygook. To the extent a team culture is set, it's set in the locker room. The guys unite with each other (& hopefully, the coaching staff), and often, the FO is just treated like the suits upstairs.

I don't think there's a black and white answer here. It's entirely possible for a FO to instill a winning culture on a team just as it's also possible the talent on a team can be the catalyst for a winning culture despite the FO. The problem with having it come from the players (bottom up model) in the case of any sports team is that players eventually age out and if the FO is incompetent that winning culture is potentially gone. In other words a top-notch FO can create a winning culture without necessarily having superstars in their lineup, whereas, in theory, a crappy FO can luck into a bunch of superstars and succeed despite themselves.

I believe the latter occurs far more frequently than the former.

Certainly, I can only think of a couple of teams that won at a high level without superstars (78-79 Bullets, 03-04 Pistons) and in both cases, they had legendary head coaches and the success left with the coach.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

I don't know if LeBron's recruiting can compete with Toronto's Kawine and Dine initiative:

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-fans-start-kawine-and-dine-initiative-keep-kawhi-leonard-in-toronto/

Kawhi gets a free meal in over 50 Toronto restaurants, free travel on Uber rides, free recording studio, free auto detail shop.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
I don't know if LeBron's recruiting can compete with Toronto's Kawine and Dine initiative:

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-fans-start-kawine-and-dine-initiative-keep-kawhi-leonard-in-toronto/

Kawhi gets a free meal in over 50 Toronto restaurants, free travel on Uber rides, free recording studio, free auto detail shop.

Wow this almost like an idea i was thinking about some weeks back. Kwahi shoe purchase pledge.

This is how it will work. Create a platform for Lakers fans to pledge to buy the Kwahi's shoes the day he signs.

Imagine having 1000000 pledges of shoe purchase.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Wow this almost like an idea i was thinking about some weeks back. Kwahi shoe purchase pledge.

This is how it will work. Create a platform for Lakers fans to pledge to buy the Kwahi's shoes the day he signs.

Imagine having 1000000 pledges of shoe purchase.

meanwhile there's Milwaukee where nobody knows your name

BelAir apologizes for not seating Giannis after big Bucks win
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Uncle Dennis dont care about meals in Toronto, he wants better business deals so he can get a better cut
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Uncle Dennis dont care about meals in Toronto, he wants better business deals so he can get a better cut

I'm pretty sure plenty of businesses in the LA area would serve Kawhi for free. It's worth it for the free press alone.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I couldn’t disagree more on culture, that comes from the top. GS brought in some of the best executives and also brought in experts to mentor those executives. They fostered a culture of excellence and Kerr and the players know that the FO has their backs. Doubtful that you hear a Warrior executive bad mouth a former Warrior player. Sure they have talent, but teams with talent haven’t always won. It takes talent and a commitment from the FO to succeed. I doubt that Lebron feels warm and fuzzy about his future being in the hands of Linda and Kurt Rambis.

HOGWASH.

Bulls won 6 Championships in 8 years with a front office of Jerry Krause and Jerry Reinsdorf. THE OWNER AND GM OPENLY FEUDED WITH THE HEAD COACH AND WITH THE BEST THREE OR FOUR PLAYERS!

After breaking up the team, Krause arrogantly stated "front offices win championships" - and the team missed the next 6 playoffs and has made it out of the 1st round 4 times in the past 21 years.

"Front office establishing a culture" is gobbledygook. To the extent a team culture is set, it's set in the locker room. The guys unite with each other (& hopefully, the coaching staff), and often, the FO is just treated like the suits upstairs.

Bulls? Couldn’t you at least find a team this century? I guess if the game has passed you by then it is what it is. The Warriors, current champions and most dominant franchise of the past 50 years, are an example of stars living up to the culture set by ownership and the FO.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Lol Kawhi isn't going to stay in Toronto just so he can have a free sandwich everyday.

But hey, if he passes up on that offer, I'll move to toronto for it
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Lol Kawhi isn't going to stay in Toronto just so he can have a free sandwich everyday.

Just read an article that a real estate company has decided to offer him a choice of luxury apartments if he stays.

Am I safe to assume these offers are not allowed under league rules? An occasional free drink or meal is one thing but apartments etc seem to cross the line.

Anyone know the line? Free cars? Free houses? Boats or jewelry? Why not free legal representation or sweetheart business deals? Maybe James is getting all his production costs covered? Where would it stop?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Inverse wrote:

Just read an article that a real estate company has decided to offer him a choice of luxury apartments if he stays.

Am I safe to assume these offers are not allowed under league rules? An occasional free drink or meal is one thing but apartments etc seem to cross the line.

Anyone know the line? Free cars? Free houses? Boats or jewelry? Why not free legal representation or sweetheart business deals? Maybe James is getting all his production costs covered? Where would it stop?

I don’t know what the line is, but as a recent example the Chicago White Sox hired some of Machado’s posse and even signed his brother-in-law Yonder Alonso...didn’t work out for them.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

HOGWASH.

Bulls? Couldn’t you at least find a team this century? I guess if the game has passed you by then it is what it is. The Warriors, current champions and most dominant franchise of the past 50 years, are an example of stars living up to the culture set by ownership and the FO.

5 X World Champion, 7X Finals Lakers 2000-2010.
    GM West quits over money when Phil gets $2MM bonus and he doesn't,

Phil/Jeanie/Kurt feud with Jim

Shaq feuds with Kobe

Jim gives alcoholic Rudy T Godfather contract without consulting business side

Jeanie brings back Phil after Jim fires him

Dr. Buss has to come out of retirement in 2007 after Radio feud

Jim fires longterm staffers during lockout

1X Champion, 5X Finals Cavaliers 2007-18

LeBron & Dan Gilbert feud

Jim Paxson

Danny Ferry

Chris Grant

David Griffin

Koby Altman

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Inverse wrote:

If it was the Lakers, the league would fine them for "trying to circumvent the salary cap" by giving him free stuff and would refer them to the IRS for tax evasion.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Congrats to LeBron for making All NBA!

Quote:
NBA All-NBA:

First team: Stephen Curry, James Harden, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Nikola Jokic, Paul George.

Second team: Damian Lillard, Kevin Durant, Joel Embiid, Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving.

Third team: Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin, LeBron James, Rudy Gobert, Kemba Walker.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

I have flashbacks of 2005 when Phil said "Kobe Bryant, 3rd team All-NBA? UNACCEPTABLE".

Unacceptable he's 3rd team. That's what a top 10, 15 player?
He needs to have a much better season next year. Hoping for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

Wow, Kawhi making it over Lebron is bizarre. I love seeing Lebron endure the Kobe treatment now as someone who loves to consider historical hypotheticals.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
NBA All-NBA:

First team: Stephen Curry, James Harden, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Nikola Jokic, Paul George.

Second team: Damian Lillard, Kevin Durant, Joel Embiid, Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving.

Third team: Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin, LeBron James, Rudy Gobert, Kemba Walker.

Damn, when was the last time Bron only made 3rd team?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:
NBA All-NBA:

I think it’s impressive considering he played 55 games.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

When was the last time we had an All-NBA player?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

2012-13 when Kobe made 1st team and Dwight made 3rd team.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
danzag wrote:

That's crazy that we had a 1st teamer and 3rd teamer playing together and just barely made the playoffs.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:
NBA All-NBA:

I think it’s impressive considering he played 55 games.

And the last 21 games came after a lower body injury that robbed him of his mid-season conditioning, as he can't really do full-speed drills for at least the first two weeks of the injury. Two weeks of inactivity is all it takes to rob an athlete of his peak physical conditioning.

A different situation entirely than Kawhi picking and choosing what games to sit out on planned rest.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
danzag wrote:

No (bleep). Those last 6 years have been awful.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
danzag wrote:

That's crazy that we had a 1st teamer and 3rd teamer playing together and just barely made the playoffs.

Guessing the 1st and 2nd team centers were Marc Gasol and 37 year old Duncan? So Dwight only beat out DeAndre Jordan, who averaged 9 & 7.

EDIT: And Noah who averaged 12, 11 & 2.

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty_01 on Thu May 23, 2019 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Quote:
NBA All-NBA:

Stiff competition. I don't see how he isn't third team next season as well.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
NBA All-NBA:

Congrats, Laker Lebron!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1130, 1131, 1132 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next
Page 1131 of 2086
Jump to: