The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1452, 1453, 1454 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject:

https://streamable.com/0eilpp

Why does MVP matter so much to him? Win the chip. Get the more importnat MVP (Finals MVP). And let it go.

Giannis was better than him for the regular season. Let it go. Much moreso than when Nash got an MVP over prime Kobe dropping 50+ and 60+ on a random Tuesday. Malone got MVP over Jordan in 97 or 98 (I forget what year).

I think one year in the playoffs, Shaq or Hakeem got snubbed for MVP right before they played whatever big won it. And Shaq or Hakeem (forget which one) murdered the MVP and won the playoff series easy.

Let it go Bron. Chips >>>>>>>> stats in Lakerland.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Why does MVP matter so much to him? Win the chip. Get the more importnat MVP (Finals MVP). And let it go.

Giannis was better than him for the regular season. Let it go. Much moreso than when Nash got an MVP over prime Kobe dropping 50+ and 60+ on a random Tuesday. Malone got MVP over Jordan in 97 or 98 (I forget what year).

I think one year in the playoffs, Shaq or Hakeem got snubbed for MVP right before they played whatever big won it. And Shaq or Hakeem (forget which one) murdered the MVP and won the playoff series easy.

Some people say he keeps a "list" of like ... I dunno slights, insults, things that make him angry as motivation. Could just be something he uses to pushes himself?

But yeah exactly, chips are mean infinitely more
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject:

I think its just a personal motivation, the slight in the MVP voting, but really I think he is far more motivated by:

Winning a championship in his third city.

The cache with being a LA world champion.

Getting AD his ring, and cementing his desire to stay in LA.

Winning a ring in the place he wants to do his offseason work, and the place he wants his family to live year round.

Being able to make his social and political statements in the entertainment capital of the world.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject:

I think Lebron knows the majority of basketball fans think he's the MVP anyways (Laker fans make up the majority lol)
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject:

MVP is the consolation prize for losers. That's why they gave it to Giannis. Giving Lebron the MVP with the Lakers winning the championship would have been too much.

It's ok, Lebron. Let them have the loser's consolation award. You're a winner. You take the ring!

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

After listening to the whole interview. It seems like he was more pissed about only getting 16 first place votes than not winning. I thought it would have been a much closer race, like a lot of the media was putting out there. I guess it matters because everyone has been counting him out and calling him washed for the last couple years. I'm pretty sure winning the title is more important to him. It should just motivate him more now.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject:

The voting has been the same for years. When he won and now when he didnโ€™t. Nothing has changed, same award, same popularity contest.

I donโ€™t remember him criticizing the voting process when he won so now these comments are hollow.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Hope LeBron's ankle is okay.

Like everyone who has had a mild sprain, it can keep a person from performing their best.
Maybe it would be a good idea to give Lebron a few days off. Give up a game to win the series.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject:

Am I the only one who thinks LeBron is still pacing himself last night, there's another gear or two to go to
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks LeBron is still pacing himself last night, there's another gear or two to go to

Yea and with how the team performed he really didn't need to exert himself too much. Great win
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
MVP is the consolation prize for losers. That's why they gave it to Giannis. Giving Lebron the MVP with the Lakers winning the championship would have been too much.

It's ok, Lebron. Let them have the loser's consolation award. You're a winner. You take the ring!

This. And just to add, would we get the players to vote for the 'most valuable journalist' award? What a dumb thing to do.

More like Media Valuable Award, where the narrative trumps facts.

Ok end of rant.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

This. And just to add, would we get the players to vote for the 'most valuable journalist' award? What a dumb thing to do.

Ok end of rant.

They should simply make it objective. Assign a certain number of points for different metrics: best record in the league, weight certain statistical categories, scoring/rebounding/assist leader, any single game or NBA historical records broken, etc. There could be some subjectivity in which categories are chosen and how much weight they are assigned, but after that, it's just a formula--take it out of the journalists hands.

So like Giannis best record, 10 points, 5th in scoring, 5 points, 2nd rebounding 9 points, 23rd in assists no points....Lebron 3rd best record, 8 points, 10 for 1st in assists, none for scoring or rebounding (outside of top 10)...have all the categories add up to 100 potential points and then the winner is just whomever has the most based on clear criteria. Problem solved. If journalists want to also have a "Journalist Fanboy Award" or whatever, that's fine, but everyone will understand that is a popularity contest, while the MVP is based just on metrics.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Ok end of rant.

They should simply make it objective. Assign a certain number of points for different metrics: best record in the league, weight certain statistical categories, scoring/rebounding/assist leader, any single game or NBA historical records broken, etc. There could be some subjectivity in which categories are chosen and how much weight they are assigned, but after that, it's just a formula--take it out of the journalists hands.

So like Giannis best record, 10 points, 5th in scoring, 5 points, 2nd rebounding 9 points, 23rd in assists no points....Lebron 3rd best record, 8 points, 10 for 1st in assists, none for scoring or rebounding (outside of top 10)...have all the categories add up to 100 potential points and then the winner is just whomever has the most based on clear criteria. Problem solved. If journalists want to also have a "Journalist Fanboy Award" or whatever, that's fine, but everyone will understand that is a popularity contest, while the MVP is based just on metrics.

At one point, the NBA did have a second player of the year award based on a formula like you're suggesting. No one liked it. It was abandoned after about 5 or 6 years.

Ultimately, every MVP award will be subjective. Either it will be a subjective vote from human beings. Or it will be a formula, like yours, where the categories and points are subjectively chosen. No matter what system you use people won't like it if it doesn't provide the outcome they want
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:

The MVP is typically a combo of metrics and team ranking. There are a few years in which narrative sways the vote, but they usually get it right. Giannis 100% deserves it this year.

Name a year Lebron won when he wasn't the baddest MF in the league? Look at those BPM and WS/48 numbers in Miami.
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

He only took 11 shots. He was in facilitate mode last night.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

Leif wrote:
governator wrote:

He only took 11 shots. He was in facilitate mode last night.

Yep only shot he took in the 2nd half was a contested deep three
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1307370772738916352/photo/1

Voted for Lebron
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

Wish Lebron won it but Giannis was the correct choice at the time the votes were made. Though These playoffs proved heโ€™s not playing with scrubs. They won an elimination game without him lol.

Anyways this could work out for us....I hope this adds more fuel to the fire and Lebron comes out guns blazing the rest of the playoffs.

All the greats looked for any kind of motivation to the point of finding ridiculously petty Reasons to fuel it. Lebron is no different it seems by how salty he was about the mvp snub.

I love it!!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Wish Lebron won it but Giannis was the correct choice at the time the votes were made. Though These playoffs proved heโ€™s not playing with scrubs. They won an elimination game without him lol.

Anyways this could work out for us....I hope this adds more fuel to the fire and Lebron comes out guns blazing the rest of the playoffs.

All the greats looked for any kind of motivation to the point of finding ridiculously petty Reasons to fuel it. Lebron is no different it seems by how salty he was about the mvp snub.

I love it!!!!

"I took it personal"
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Voted for Lebron

Isnโ€™t Shams represented by Klutch? Full list listed him voting for Giannis!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

If Lebron wasn't a Laker, I'd think his whining about an MVP award he didn't deserve in the middle of the playoffs during a pandemic a little silly and petty.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

LBJ has less to gripe about than AD who was jobbed on the DPOY. That irks me still. First Team honors helps hinder some of that outrage but still stings.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Voted for Lebron

Isnโ€™t Shams represented by Klutch? Full list listed him voting for Giannis!

Where is the full list?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
If Lebron wasn't a Laker, I'd think his whining about an MVP award he didn't deserve in the middle of the playoffs during a pandemic a little silly and petty.

I think it was just spur of the moment rambling, tbh. He did later clarify when a reporter asked him a follow-up question about how upset he was, that he was perfectly fine and over it. Now clearly he's still bothered by it to even bring it up (lol), but I feel like it's more self-motivational than anything about the lack of respect with 1st place votes, and that's just kinda Bron's schtick. Media will blow this up unnecessarily, but I don't think he's crying about not winning, just the voting process overall.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

Btw, he's casually averaging the second best TS% in the playoffs of his entire career. In Year 17. And a lot of his advanced stats are just about in the same range of his entire career...#WashedKing

Draymond said it best when the Inside the NBA crew asked him who else comes to mind, as far as not losing much athleticism this late in their career. He said NO ONE.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1452, 1453, 1454 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next
Page 1453 of 2086
Jump to: