The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1505, 1506, 1507 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

^ Wolf it's only 3 years thru 2022-23.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:
”I’m gonna tell you one thing: I don’t wanna go nowhere besides being here, be a Laker for the rest of my life.”

- LeBron James

https://twitter.com/cantbeataudel/status/1334203678786392064?s=21
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
^ Wolf it's only 3 years thru 2022-23.

Ok, so 2021 + 2 more years.
Basically only 1 + year from the original deal he signed in 2018.
To me this was a no brainer for the Lakers at this point in time.

Whether he can maintain his level or not, he is worth every dollar on that based on the information the Lakers have right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Lebron seems genuinely happy playing for the Lakers and living in Los Angeles.

For the first time in a long while

He hated the Cav ownership ... I think everyone hates the Cav ownership. Not to mention playing with Kyrie and Kevin can exhaust you.

The Lakers in contrast are finally a great organization again, led by wondefully talented people who look after you. Jeanie putting us back where we belong
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Happy and energized Lebron is good for business - he can attract FA's and other star players as has been proven and Klutch will continue to feed us guys as AD takes over. He will be an ambassador for the franchise. Lebron's biggest weakness is he can be moody, but he clearly has full belief in Pelinka and has a great relationship with Jeanie.

The only question will be can he avoid injury, if he can stay healthy he will remain highly productive even at the tail end of that contract just given his size and bball IQ.

We have to remember Lebron is not your typical 35/36 year old, look at what he did a few months ago. Even if he dropped off significantly he is coming from such a high ceiling that is still clearly all-star caliber, honestly can you even imagine him falling out of the top 5 even in that last year? Seems unlikely.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

VindicatioN wrote:
32 wrote:
The big difference between Kobe's contract and Lebron's is Kobe was coming off of a torn Achilles. At his age, it was pretty much a death sentence. Lebron is healthy as an ox right now.

Seriously? A better analogy couldn't have come to mind?

Yes. Sorry about that.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I’m wondering if he was waiting to see if there was any signal from Giannis'c camp that he was interested in coming to the Lakers, and failing to see that he decided to go ahead and sign the extension (similar to what we were expecting from AD).
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Kobe was given a contract extension not only because he earned it, but because he could still fill the seats at Staples. It was as much of a business move for him as it was for the Lakers. Same principles apply here with LeBron's extension. No different

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Time can change things, right now they are on a championship high and they all wanna be Lakers forever, but when Kobe passed, it changed things in LA for the good (basketball wise) and I think Lebron was one of those guys deeply touched. Even before he won a ring, when he went out and got tatoos of Bean as did AD and then did so many other things, you just felt that Laker for life vibe. Within weeks of Kobe passing, I viewed guys like AD, Bron totally different than before. Whether they won a ring or not, they were Lakers in my eyes for good. Winning the ring, just cemented it even more.

But business is business and Bron is a business man first, and he may well leave at some point in these remaining 4 years. But, I do see him as a Laker legend now, obviously you can never put him in the same light as Kobe-Magic or Jerry West for the years they played as Lakers, but he will seen as a Laker legend, rightfully. This contract does not change things for me, whether he closes it out or not. It is a business and guys like Shaq eventually moved on. I could see Bron move on at some point in these 4 years, and if he does not that just means things went incredibly well for all involved.

I am happy LA rewarded him, he earned it, and based on his play today, this contract is warranted (unlike the Kobe contract, which IMO was a thank you for what you gave us all, type of deal). If Bron went out and became a FA today, I think he would get a 4 year MAX a number of places without any issues. So the contract is warranted and fair market value.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
Kobe was given a contract extension not only because he earned it, but because he could still fill the seats at Staples. It was as much of a business move for him as it was for the Lakers. Same principles apply here with LeBron's extension. No different

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Time can change things, right now they are on a championship high and they all wanna be Lakers forever, but when Kobe passed, it changed things in LA for the good (basketball wise) and I think Lebron was one of those guys deeply touched. Even before he won a ring, when he went out and got tatoos of Bean as did AD and then did so many other things, you just felt that Laker for life vibe. Within weeks of Kobe passing, I viewed guys like AD, Bron totally different than before. Whether they won a ring or not, they were Lakers in my eyes for good. Winning the ring, just cemented it even more.

But business is business and Bron is a business man first, and he may well leave at some point in these remaining 4 years. But, I do see him as a Laker legend now, obviously you can never put him in the same light as Kobe-Magic or Jerry West for the years they played as Lakers, but he will seen as a Laker legend, rightfully. This contract does not change things for me, whether he closes it out or not. It is a business and guys like Shaq eventually moved on. I could see Bron move on at some point in these 4 years, and if he does not that just means things went incredibly well for all involved.

I am happy LA rewarded him, he earned it, and based on his play today, this contract is warranted (unlike the Kobe contract, which IMO was a thank you for what you gave us all, type of deal). If Bron went out and became a FA today, I think he would get a 4 year MAX a number of places without any issues. So the contract is warranted and fair market value.

And that Kobe final contract probably did some good PR for the organization as it got them Lebron later on. I have no doubt the Lakers and Lebron partnering for his final years in the NBA tells the rest of the free agents that the organization treats their players well.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

That Kobe contract allowed the Lakers to tank and filled seats at the same time, getting the coach that let Kobe to go out guns blazing record not withstanding, that was icing on the cake

This ur home LeBron, PnG4Life

Last edited by governator on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
phantasyman wrote:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

And that Kobe final contract probably did some good PR for the organization as it got them Lebron later on. I have no doubt the Lakers and Lebron partnering for his final years in the NBA tells the rest of the free agents that the organization treats their players well.

Exactly. See how players view the Lakers organization versus the Celtics. Players aren't forgetting how Ainge treated Thomas.

Way to take care of your partners, Jeannie Buss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:
”I’m gonna tell you one thing: I don’t wanna go nowhere besides being here, be a Laker for the rest of my life.”

- LeBron James

Why would he want to move on the best NBA franchise and a place where he could further his post NBA career? Lebron already planned his move to LA way back when he bought a house in Brentwood so he's probably living out his dream. It's how Shaq left Orlando and came to LA and then we got Kobe and the rest was history. I guess we should expect at least another 2 titles incoming for the new duo Lebron and AD.

LA is the happiest place on earth for NBA players.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Regardless if Bronny is good or not, teams will draft him because of his DNA.

They why weren't MJ's sons drafted?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

They don’t have LeBron’s DNA
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, a much older Lebron has continued to show that he is both the better player, and more clutch than Giannis.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Pay the man his money, no one deserves it more.

Just wish it was a longer contract personally, I think he could play as long as he wants.....this guy is an absolute freak and super dedicated.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:

- LeBron James

^I am all for that. This guy is 100% Man in the money games.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

They don’t have LeBron’s DNA

MJ’s sons were undersized compared to him.

I don’t think Lebron’s kids have his stature. At 18 y.o., Lebron had a NBA ready body. Now, he looks like a Mack truck among NBA players.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rob told LeBron & Rich Paul: “Real talk, like if you ever experience anything or your team does that’s not done at an excellent level we need to hear about it” https://t.co/pM7b5OaSAi

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Rob told LeBron & Rich Paul: “Real talk, like if you ever experience anything or your team does that’s not done at an excellent level we need to hear about it” https://t.co/pM7b5OaSAi

Sounds like Lakers has best owner, best GM, best agent and best player in the league
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is likely going to pass Kareem as the NBA all-time leading scorer. Right now Kareem has 38,387 and Lebron has 34,241.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:

- LeBron James

He's bought in, and frankly, so have I.

The first year was rough, LBJ not always in it, it seemed, but this past year with AD holding him accountable? We saw greatness from the guy.

Totally onboard with the deal. Could it backfire? Possibly. But the dude takes ridiculous good care of himself, and his game has not diminished. At some point the wheels may fall off, but I think his overall talent will still make him viable - remember, he's still a terrific point forward if you just wanted him to sit back and dish assists and not do too much scoring.

I really think the Lakers organization deserves alot of damn respect for this. LBJ has been notorious of being wary with owners and teams after his first stint with Cleveland. He did not go to lunches with the owner. Sort of set a barrier between himself and team ownership.

Last offseason he met Jeannie for lunch, and since then things been on an upward spiral. The team understands the modern NBA and the power brokership of agents and agencies. They showed him and AD willingness to be partners with them in bringing in the players all feel can help win. Kudos to the organization for not being stuck in an us vs them mindset like many others.

But as Wolf said, alot of this probably just goes to how the Lakers treat their royalty, as shown with the Kobe contract. We perhaps cursed the idea back then, looked the other way, or made justifications for it. But I think it paid off in the end with the Lakers landing not just one, but two generational talents, one year apart.

Non-laker fans, or Laker haters, do not seem to understand that most Laker fans get this. This team may be a small family operated business, but its run extremely player friendly, especially for its top guys. They are treated like family, and what they think matters.

Future looking bright my fellow purple and gold lovers!
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like Lakers has best owner, best GM, best agent and best player in the league

Dont forget the best fans in the world
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
32 wrote:
We just need to confirm if the 3rd year (2022-23) is a player's option.

That's what I want to know as well.

I think that will be telling on what the direction will be.

If AD's contract includes a PO for '22 - '23, then there may still be something in the kitchen.

Agreed.

I have a feeling Lebron will still have a PO for the last year. There is no downside for him, and gives him and the team flexibility.

I've always thought AD would do a 2+1- it makes the most sense.

If Lebron has the PO for '22-'23 and AD does a 2+1, then Beal is still the target.

I'm glad we can move on from Giannis talk. It wasn't happening.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Quote:

- LeBron James

He's bought in, and frankly, so have I.

The first year was rough, LBJ not always in it, it seemed, but this past year with AD holding him accountable? We saw greatness from the guy.

Totally onboard with the deal. Could it backfire? Possibly. But the dude takes ridiculous good care of himself, and his game has not diminished. At some point the wheels may fall off, but I think his overall talent will still make him viable - remember, he's still a terrific point forward if you just wanted him to sit back and dish assists and not do too much scoring.

I really think the Lakers organization deserves alot of damn respect for this. LBJ has been notorious of being wary with owners and teams after his first stint with Cleveland. He did not go to lunches with the owner. Sort of set a barrier between himself and team ownership.

Last offseason he met Jeannie for lunch, and since then things been on an upward spiral. The team understands the modern NBA and the power brokership of agents and agencies. They showed him and AD willingness to be partners with them in bringing in the players all feel can help win. Kudos to the organization for not being stuck in an us vs them mindset like many others.

But as Wolf said, alot of this probably just goes to how the Lakers treat their royalty, as shown with the Kobe contract. We perhaps cursed the idea back then, looked the other way, or made justifications for it. But I think it paid off in the end with the Lakers landing not just one, but two generational talents, one year apart.

Non-laker fans, or Laker haters, do not seem to understand that most Laker fans get this. This team may be a small family operated business, but its run extremely player friendly, especially for its top guys. They are treated like family, and what they think matters.

Future looking bright my fellow purple and gold lovers!

Well said! There's a reason the team in the same city and has shared our same stadium has never made it past the second round. Look at the Knicks in New York playing in the Garden, with even solid ownership and management that franchise should have consistent contenders but they don't. It's easy for a lot of NBA fans just to point out the fact "it's the Lakers" but plenty of other big market franchises just keep falling on there faces over and over. We absolutely have a leg up on places like say Charlotte but so does a chunk of other franchises.

Players absolutely keep track (especially stars/superstars) how the franchises treat and surround those stars. Not sure how anyone can feel otherwise. It's like any other industry where you are in demand and can choose from multiple offers. You're going to go to the destination you feel most comfortable with.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1505, 1506, 1507 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next
Page 1506 of 2086
Jump to: