Mayweather vs McGregor is official 8/26/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

That Canadian press conference was bonkers. McGregor is crazy charismatic.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

^ He's the Pied Piper. It's unreal.

Even Money was dying with laughter when Conor got the crowd to chant "F the Mayweathers!". That's next level charisma.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
nickuku wrote:
These fights should go on until one guy gets KOed

They stopped doing that for the health of the fighters. People used to die in the ring or get long term brain damage.

I don't recall that ever happening in any official capacity in the last century. You'd have to go back literally to the mid 1800s for that sorta thing and that's not even the boxing of today at that point.

Here are 10, most of whom were within the last 10-20 years.

I'm not seeing hte link but I'm assuming it's to deaths in the ring. That wasn't that my point. My point was that boxing matches where it kepts going until one man died was the stuff of yesteryear. The deaths that have occured are the resuolt of trauma suffered during the alloted rounds. Tough living.

And my point is that people are still dying even under the modern rules.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
nickuku wrote:
These fights should go on until one guy gets KOed

They stopped doing that for the health of the fighters. People used to die in the ring or get long term brain damage.

I don't recall that ever happening in any official capacity in the last century. You'd have to go back literally to the mid 1800s for that sorta thing and that's not even the boxing of today at that point.

Here are 10, most of whom were within the last 10-20 years.

I'm not seeing hte link but I'm assuming it's to deaths in the ring. That wasn't that my point. My point was that boxing matches where it kepts going until one man died was the stuff of yesteryear. The deaths that have occured are the resuolt of trauma suffered during the alloted rounds. Tough living.

And my point is that people are still dying even under the modern rules.

You're correct by my initial statement was in regards to the claim that boxing used to have them box utnil one guy drops without rounds. Regaredless, this is splitting hairs and getting into semantics.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

You're correct by my initial statement was in regards to the claim that boxing used to have them box utnil one guy drops without rounds. Regaredless, this is splitting hairs and getting into semantics.

More like splitting skulls.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

McGregor laid it on him something awful in the Toronto press conference. Which is great because the press tour is going to be the highlight. Good for Conor to make some serious coin and good for Floyd to get a golden parachute to help with his tax issues.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

Match should be renamed "Money Mayweathers charity boxing match for IRS" considering most of his earnings for this fight will end up with the IRS.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Match should be renamed "Money Mayweathers charity boxing match for IRS" considering most of his earnings for this fight will end up with the IRS.

"Tax That Ass"
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

I have to be honest I used to hate Conor for his arrogance and brashness but I am coming around to like the guy. I gained more respect for him taking a rematch with Diaz and kicking his butt even though he didn't have to do that fight. Now he is a huge underdog in this fight and I like to root for underdogs plus I really don't like Floyd that much.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

This world tour is hilarious. It's like a clown show.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

"Tax That Ass"

Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Cringe worthy.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

cringe worthy indeed. They are doing way too much to try to force more buzz on this fight.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Feels like a WWE promo except they aren't going to throw any fake punches or elbows.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Would it shock antone if something happened where they didn't fight?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

This whole event is so bizarre. Floyd and Conor will be laughing all the way to the bank.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:

WAAAAYYY too much money for that to happen. They could both have broken legs and they'll lie to the doctor for the payday.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

WAAAAYYY too much money for that to happen. They could both have broken legs and they'll lie to the doctor for the payday.

Your right. That's what happened with Mayweather and Pacquiao. Manny fought with a shoulder injury later diagnosed as a torn rotator cuff that required surgery.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
This whole event is so bizarre. Floyd and Conor will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Now why would that happen. Conor even if he loses gets a massive payday and Mayweather gets to pay off his taxes....win win for both fighters.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

McGregor has almost zero percent chance of winning this "match". Honestly a top rated golden gloves fighter would probably give Floyd a tougher challenge.
6o3keto
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
32 wrote:
Cringe worthy.

Its funny tho
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:

No way. Antone is unshockable.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/23/draymond-green-adds-attention-to-conor-mcgregors-gag-about-floyd-mayweather-jr-s-domestic-violence/

Quote:
Draymond Green adds attention to Conor McGregor’s gag about Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s domestic violence

Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are showing nearly no limits in their effort to promote their upcoming fight.

McGregor has repeatedly stoked the flames of racism, making himself a villain to some and a hero to others – but, more importantly, drawing attention from both sides. He also wore a No. 23 Warriors jersey.

Hey, I wear No. 23 for the Warriors, Draymond Green apparently thought to himself. So, Green posted on Instagram to inform everyone he was supporting Mayweather:

McGregor responded in the comments:

screenshot-imgur.com-2017-07-23-15-11-32

C.J. Watson previously wore No. 23 for the Warriors, and this isn’t the first time McGregor has referenced the guard in relation to Mayweather:

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
Conor McGregor ✔ @TheNotoriousMMA
Call me C.J Watson! http://www.macmojiapp.com
1:57 PM - 11 Jan 2017
13,325 13,325 Retweets 25,150 25,150 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Why does McGregor keep bring up Watson?

Martin Rogers of Yahoo Sports in a 2013 article on Mayweather domestic-violence victim Josie Harris:

The altercation happened when Mayweather returned to Harris’ property at 5 a.m. on September 9. Police had already been summoned following a verbal dispute hours earlier, but Mayweather came back. Harris says she was asleep on the living room couch when she woke up to Mayweather, holding her cell phone, yelling at her about text messages from NBA guard C.J. Watson.

Mayweather and Harris were no longer together; the boxer had by then installed Jackson in his home and as his main love interest. But, according to Harris, it was not acceptable to Mayweather for her to see other men while living in a house he owned.

“Are you having sex with C.J.?” Mayweather yelled at Harris, according to the arrest report.

“Yes, that is who I am seeing now,” she replied.

Mayweather then grabbed her by the hair and punched her in the back of the head “with a closed fist several times,” according to the report. He then pulled her off the couch by her hair and twisted her left arm.

“All I heard is, ‘Who is C.J. Watson, C.J. Watson the basketball player?’ ” Harris says. “From there it was just … bad. I was powerless. He was holding me down. I couldn’t fight back. The kids were screaming and crying, ‘You’re hurting my Mom.’ ”

At one point, Mayweather yelled, “I’m going to kill you and the man you are messing around with,” Harris told police. “I’m going to have you both disappear.”

According to the arrest report, when Harris screamed for her children to call for help, Mayweather turned to them and warned he would “beat their ass if they left the house and called police.”

I don’t think Green realized the context. He responded to McGregor in the comments by hyping his superiority to Watson and talking about boxing:

Knowingly or not, making light of domestic violence is on brand for the NBA.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/23/draymond-green-adds-attention-to-conor-mcgregors-gag-about-floyd-mayweather-jr-s-domestic-violence/

Quote:
Draymond Green adds attention to Conor McGregor’s gag about Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s domestic violence

Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are showing nearly no limits in their effort to promote their upcoming fight.

McGregor has repeatedly stoked the flames of racism, making himself a villain to some and a hero to others – but, more importantly, drawing attention from both sides. He also wore a No. 23 Warriors jersey.

Hey, I wear No. 23 for the Warriors, Draymond Green apparently thought to himself. So, Green posted on Instagram to inform everyone he was supporting Mayweather:

McGregor responded in the comments:

screenshot-imgur.com-2017-07-23-15-11-32

C.J. Watson previously wore No. 23 for the Warriors, and this isn’t the first time McGregor has referenced the guard in relation to Mayweather:

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
Conor McGregor ✔ @TheNotoriousMMA
Call me C.J Watson! http://www.macmojiapp.com
1:57 PM - 11 Jan 2017
13,325 13,325 Retweets 25,150 25,150 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Why does McGregor keep bring up Watson?

Martin Rogers of Yahoo Sports in a 2013 article on Mayweather domestic-violence victim Josie Harris:

The altercation happened when Mayweather returned to Harris’ property at 5 a.m. on September 9. Police had already been summoned following a verbal dispute hours earlier, but Mayweather came back. Harris says she was asleep on the living room couch when she woke up to Mayweather, holding her cell phone, yelling at her about text messages from NBA guard C.J. Watson.

Mayweather and Harris were no longer together; the boxer had by then installed Jackson in his home and as his main love interest. But, according to Harris, it was not acceptable to Mayweather for her to see other men while living in a house he owned.

“Are you having sex with C.J.?” Mayweather yelled at Harris, according to the arrest report.

“Yes, that is who I am seeing now,” she replied.

Mayweather then grabbed her by the hair and punched her in the back of the head “with a closed fist several times,” according to the report. He then pulled her off the couch by her hair and twisted her left arm.

“All I heard is, ‘Who is C.J. Watson, C.J. Watson the basketball player?’ ” Harris says. “From there it was just … bad. I was powerless. He was holding me down. I couldn’t fight back. The kids were screaming and crying, ‘You’re hurting my Mom.’ ”

At one point, Mayweather yelled, “I’m going to kill you and the man you are messing around with,” Harris told police. “I’m going to have you both disappear.”

According to the arrest report, when Harris screamed for her children to call for help, Mayweather turned to them and warned he would “beat their ass if they left the house and called police.”

I don’t think Green realized the context. He responded to McGregor in the comments by hyping his superiority to Watson and talking about boxing:

Knowingly or not, making light of domestic violence is on brand for the NBA.

Draymond is in Floyd's corner? Attacker of nutsacks supports attacker of women? Makes me hate both even more. Good work McGregor.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Press conference was today. Pretty entertaining.

I thought it felt so fake even for boxing press conference standards. This is a money grab by all involved and I wouldnt be surprised if there is some kind of handshake agreement that May is to not completely thrash McG so it doesnt hurt his future marketability.

Floyd has no fear of McGregor. He spars with guys more dangerous than Conor. Also people forget but Floyd has a chin also. He got rocked by Sugar Shane, he got rocked by Maidana, never hit the canvas and came back and dominated both fights. So in the off chance the McGregor does land, it doesn't mean Floyd is going down.

Also, May is a genius in the ring. He knows how to roll with the punches. His shoulder roll and defensive shield is going to provide such a small target that Conor won't know what to do, he'll get frustrated, start getting wild. That's when Floyd will connect at will.

I think Floyd will start peppering McG's face all night long until his eyes swell and shut and the ref will be forced to stop the fight. And it's not out of the realm that Conor won't get knocked out. I think people are severely underestimating the difference in punching power between a world class all time GOAT boxer vs a UFC fighter who trains in multiple disciplines. Boxers train strictly to PUNCH. That's what they do. Don't be surprised by a knockout.

you make so many good points, your average MMA fan won't think of these things, mainly because they never paid enough attention to boxing.

Working the ring with footwork is something that really comes with experience and floyd is masterful at it. I look at some of these boxing sessions connor puts up and his footwork still looks sub par.. that alone will likey be a huge disadvantage.

For an MMA fighter, connor has some great technique though, i think that's his biggest upside.. I'm sure she will get one or two punches in on floyd, but like you said... floyd has a LEGIT chin, underrated actually. Even oscar went ham on em, corrales, etc. Dude withstood it..

The main thing in MCG's favor is not even his own attribute.. it's the fact that floyd is 40. Father time is crazy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17
Jump to: