Mayweather vs McGregor is official 8/26/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 1136

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Ted wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Press conference was today. Pretty entertaining.

I thought it felt so fake even for boxing press conference standards. This is a money grab by all involved and I wouldnt be surprised if there is some kind of handshake agreement that May is to not completely thrash McG so it doesnt hurt his future marketability.


Floyd has no fear of McGregor. He spars with guys more dangerous than Conor. Also people forget but Floyd has a chin also. He got rocked by Sugar Shane, he got rocked by Maidana, never hit the canvas and came back and dominated both fights. So in the off chance the McGregor does land, it doesn't mean Floyd is going down.

Also, May is a genius in the ring. He knows how to roll with the punches. His shoulder roll and defensive shield is going to provide such a small target that Conor won't know what to do, he'll get frustrated, start getting wild. That's when Floyd will connect at will.

I think Floyd will start peppering McG's face all night long until his eyes swell and shut and the ref will be forced to stop the fight. And it's not out of the realm that Conor won't get knocked out. I think people are severely underestimating the difference in punching power between a world class all time GOAT boxer vs a UFC fighter who trains in multiple disciplines. Boxers train strictly to PUNCH. That's what they do. Don't be surprised by a knockout.


you make so many good points, your average MMA fan won't think of these things, mainly because they never paid enough attention to boxing.

Working the ring with footwork is something that really comes with experience and floyd is masterful at it. I look at some of these boxing sessions connor puts up and his footwork still looks sub par.. that alone will likey be a huge disadvantage.

For an MMA fighter, connor has some great technique though, i think that's his biggest upside.. I'm sure she will get one or two punches in on floyd, but like you said... floyd has a LEGIT chin, underrated actually. Even oscar went ham on em, corrales, etc. Dude withstood it..

The main thing in MCG's favor is not even his own attribute.. it's the fact that floyd is 40. Father time is crazy.
everything both of you two are saying is 100% truth. but like you guys said MMA younger fans will not even think about these things because they have never really paid much attention to boxing or i should say the sweet science of boxing. They watch a floyd fight and will say "awww he ran all fight." as if the objective is to stand in the center and get your head tapped all night long. lol.

but its true floyd is 40. and we know how father time works, especially in boxing. lets not forget roy jones and how bad he looked after getting caught that one time. he was never the same. sure roy was not nearly as fundamental as floyd but still. almost broke my heart to watch one of my favorites go out like that.

but again. Connor aint no pro boxer so lets be real about it. the only way he wins is two things. minus some nonsense headbutt that messes him up for the fight.

1. Connor gets a lucky hit on floys ribs(beaks them) or hits him in that kidney and floyd can't go on(remember de la getting caught with that one nice shot)

2. or if floyd walks right into a punch being super duper careless. something you have never seen from him his entire career. so even this would not be the floyd we all know.

some may think. well buster douglas beat mike tyson.
True... how? first off BD was a pro boxer. he also was a perfect match to possible have a chance vs tyson. his style helped. he had a nice jab and a nice reach. but the truth is. tyson still won that fight it wasnt for the shady long count(you know what i'm talking about.) or you could also say mike didnt even train for the fight and looked mentally out of it. while BD was fighting the fight of his life. all those things had to take place in order for a pro to beat a champ. so how many more anomalies have to take place in order for a non pro boxer to beat some guy that has never lost and has impeccable skill/fundamentals?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 51246

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Mayweather-McGregor to Be Shown Live in Movie Theaters

Quote:
Movie theaters around the U.S. will show the Aug. 26 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.

The bout between the undefeated boxer and the Irish UFC champion will cost $99.95 on high-definition pay-per-view TV. Tickets for the fight at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena will range from $500 to $10,000 and there aren't many $500 seats.

Meanwhile, movie theater tickets for the fighting spectacle of the year are being sold at $40 per adult in advance. A complete list of participating theaters can be found at www.FathomEvents.com .

_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3177

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Mayweather-McGregor to Be Shown Live in Movie Theaters

Quote:
Movie theaters around the U.S. will show the Aug. 26 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.

The bout between the undefeated boxer and the Irish UFC champion will cost $99.95 on high-definition pay-per-view TV. Tickets for the fight at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena will range from $500 to $10,000 and there aren't many $500 seats.

Meanwhile, movie theater tickets for the fighting spectacle of the year are being sold at $40 per adult in advance. A complete list of participating theaters can be found at www.FathomEvents.com .


I watched Mayweather-Maidana 1 in a theatre. I bought a $9 ticket to a different movie and walked right into the Mayweather showing which was like $25. No one checked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 40612
Location: In a world where admitting not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
32 wrote:
Mayweather-McGregor to Be Shown Live in Movie Theaters

Quote:
Movie theaters around the U.S. will show the Aug. 26 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.

The bout between the undefeated boxer and the Irish UFC champion will cost $99.95 on high-definition pay-per-view TV. Tickets for the fight at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena will range from $500 to $10,000 and there aren't many $500 seats.

Meanwhile, movie theater tickets for the fighting spectacle of the year are being sold at $40 per adult in advance. A complete list of participating theaters can be found at www.FathomEvents.com .


I watched Mayweather-Maidana 1 in a theatre. I bought a $9 ticket to a different movie and walked right into the Mayweather showing which was like $25. No one checked.

Ted, Ted, there are youngsters in the forum. That's a Donald Trump example.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 5888

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ted wrote:
32 wrote:
Mayweather-McGregor to Be Shown Live in Movie Theaters

Quote:
Movie theaters around the U.S. will show the Aug. 26 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.

The bout between the undefeated boxer and the Irish UFC champion will cost $99.95 on high-definition pay-per-view TV. Tickets for the fight at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena will range from $500 to $10,000 and there aren't many $500 seats.

Meanwhile, movie theater tickets for the fighting spectacle of the year are being sold at $40 per adult in advance. A complete list of participating theaters can be found at www.FathomEvents.com .


I watched Mayweather-Maidana 1 in a theatre. I bought a $9 ticket to a different movie and walked right into the Mayweather showing which was like $25. No one checked.

Ted, Ted, there are youngsters in the forum. That's a Donald Trump example.


yea, unless the theater has $3-$5 beer, I'm crashing a friend house who order it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
#StayInYoLane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 979

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

McGregor!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25465

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

https://youtu.be/WcHVsZGyZOw So Conor was lighting Paulie up.. stumbled the crap out of him.. the knockdown is kind of iffy, but way more legit than Paulie insinuated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 40612
Location: In a world where admitting not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ted wrote:
32 wrote:
Mayweather-McGregor to Be Shown Live in Movie Theaters

Quote:
Movie theaters around the U.S. will show the Aug. 26 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.

The bout between the undefeated boxer and the Irish UFC champion will cost $99.95 on high-definition pay-per-view TV. Tickets for the fight at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena will range from $500 to $10,000 and there aren't many $500 seats.

Meanwhile, movie theater tickets for the fighting spectacle of the year are being sold at $40 per adult in advance. A complete list of participating theaters can be found at www.FathomEvents.com .


I watched Mayweather-Maidana 1 in a theatre. I bought a $9 ticket to a different movie and walked right into the Mayweather showing which was like $25. No one checked.

Ted, Ted, there are youngsters in the forum. That's a Donald Trump example.


yea, unless the theater has $3-$5 beer, I'm crashing a friend house who order it

I've put out feelers to friends who come over to watch sports with me. Offering, if they payed for the fight they could ordered it and watch it here. I'm not paying for that farce.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 5500
Location: France

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://youtu.be/WcHVsZGyZOw So Conor was lighting Paulie up.. stumbled the crap out of him.. the knockdown is kind of iffy, but way more legit than Paulie insinuated.


Does that really impress you ?

Mayweather could beat him on a boxing ring even if he was 50 years old.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 10361
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://youtu.be/WcHVsZGyZOw So Conor was lighting Paulie up.. stumbled the crap out of him.. the knockdown is kind of iffy, but way more legit than Paulie insinuated.


The straight left rocked Paulie no doubt. But the knockdown was not a knockdown. As you said, it was was "iffy" on its own. But is no one else's noticing this video is actually two clips spliced together as one? There's a camera angle change for no reason at all which leads me to believe that these are from two separate exchanges. Meaning, the iffy knockdown did not follow the staggering. I don't work in post production by that's really bad continuity. Oh well. A lot of people seem to be buying into it and so it's good for the hype.

But even if it was from the same single exchange, there is a chasm between Paulie amd Floyd and it's takes more than two weeks to make that trek.
_________________
Magic and Jeannie: you are now on the clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 14774

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

You just can't trust anything coming out of these camps. Floyd saying he's lost a step and now this.

They're just trying to sell the fight lol. I'm only getting it for the spectacle. I think Mayweather is going to make Conor look stupid in there
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25465

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://youtu.be/WcHVsZGyZOw So Conor was lighting Paulie up.. stumbled the crap out of him.. the knockdown is kind of iffy, but way more legit than Paulie insinuated.


The straight left rocked Paulie no doubt. But the knockdown was not a knockdown. As you said, it was was "iffy" on its own. But is no one else's noticing this video is actually two clips spliced together as one? There's a camera angle change for no reason at all which leads me to believe that these are from two separate exchanges. Meaning, the iffy knockdown did not follow the staggering. I don't work in post production by that's really bad continuity. Oh well. A lot of people seem to be buying into it and so it's good for the hype.

But even if it was from the same single exchange, there is a chasm between Paulie amd Floyd and it's takes more than two weeks to make that trek.


I think people are seeing that it's two different clips/times. Conor did say that they were in succession though (probably like 1 minute apart)..
But yea, Floyd is of course a different animal. Still really cool to see Conor smoking a former champ.. Good for the hype too, yea - I was starting to lean towards not buying it, but he beat up a former champ.... The fight won't be competitive but maybe some interesting moments
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25465

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://youtu.be/WcHVsZGyZOw So Conor was lighting Paulie up.. stumbled the crap out of him.. the knockdown is kind of iffy, but way more legit than Paulie insinuated.


Does that really impress you ?

Mayweather could beat him on a boxing ring even if he was 50 years old.


It does. He stumbled a former champ, retired this year..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB