Mayweather vs McGregor is official 8/26/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote of the night "I turned him into a Mexican." he made Floyd FIGHT.

Floyd had a game plan which he followed to the T, go at him, make him throw his arsenal, walk him down, finish him late. I'm on the fence about the stoppage, though it was just a matter of time.

I was surprised at McGregor's boxing skills, he worked Floyd early. I think that was also a surprise to Floyd.

I didn't pay the money though after watching I think it was worth it, best Mayweather since the early days. Money May went out on his shield.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote of the night "I turned him into a Mexican."
he made Floyd FIGHT.

Floyd had a game plan which he followed to the T, go at him, make him throw his arsenal, walk him down, finish him late. I'm on the fence about the stoppage, though it was just a matter of time.

I was surprised at McGregor's boxing skills, he worked Floyd early. I think that was also a surprise to Floyd.

I didn't pay the money though after watching I think it was worth it, best Mayweather since the early days. Money May went out on his shield.

I totally agree with this. I think his reach/length and height actually bothered Floyd. I texted my friends after the 3rd round "is Floyd going to throw any punches at some point?", and after the 4th I texted "that was a 50/50 round, will the judges actually call it 4-0 for Conor?" Clearly, the answer to that last question was no. LOL.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Mayweather plays this like Kobe.. like a video game

McGregor is really frustrated .. long ass fight and not much damage

Never compare that woman-beater/child-threatener/dancer with Kobe. Kobe attacks with fire. Mayweather just dances around until the other side is tired and then takes advantage like a (bleep).

50-0.

I've only seen the Pacquaio fight, which I thought was boring, but hey the guy knows how to win and make lots of money doing it.

So do high end prostitutes and I respect them a helluva lot more than Chickenweather.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Fight went pretty much as most experts expected. TKO with McGregor unable to defend himself. Would have been worse if he fought a slugger. Floyd basically let him gas out before really going after him.

Props to Conor for looking better than most thought he would. The fight was never close though.

Entertaining none the less, glad I kicked in $20 to watch at my friend's place
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
And watching the old boxing heads with their smug looks was despicable. Christ, and 0-0 fighter went 10 rounds and (bleep) won at least 3 to the eyes of everyone but the compubox (bleep). 0-0 fighter. Smug ass Sal Paolatonio all giddy as a little (bleep) like the rest of them.

These lame gashes should all be choked the hell out. "Ref thave me, heth holding me". (bleep) and scum (bleep).

Thomg!

Man.

ChickenStu wrote:

That was not an 89-82 fight. Y'all can kiss my grits if you think it was.

Good Flo reference.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject:

The long and the short of it is McGregor had no business in the ring against a boxer. If Floyd doesn't carry him, or if he's fighting a guy with any power at all, this is a quick fight.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject:

At least he landed that uppercut, that was sweet, serious lick. won 3 rounds, even though Floyd let him... everyone said he wouldn't win one round. I do feel a prime non-defensive boxer would have knocked him out in like the 3rd or 4th though, ya
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The long and the short of it is McGregor had no business in the ring against a boxer. If Floyd doesn't carry him, or if he's fighting a guy with any power at all, this is a quick fight.

Pretty much this and KIROEs comment. It was entertaining but it wasn't ever close
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Pretty much this and KIROEs comment. It was entertaining but it wasn't ever close

I just don't agree with that. Floyd looked old and slower tonight. And he was fighting a dude who had literally never boxed as a professional before. And yet, to anyone who is being honest, McGregor had 3 rounds completely in the bag before round 4 even started. Rounds 4 and 5 were reasonably close rounds, so if the judges had any interest in fairness at all, it's possible that a fair judge could've given him 4 of the first 5 rounds (it was very clear that 2 of the 3 judges had no interest in fairness last night). And then even the Showtime "judge" had Conor winning one of the rounds after round 6. You could make the argument he won 5 rounds. I'm not saying everyone would agree with that, but you could absolutely make the argument. That fight was not a runaway, well, not through 9 rounds, anyway. Floyd was well on his way to at least a 10-8 round in Round 10, though, had it actually gone to a decision. He clearly deserved to win the fight and I'm not suggesting otherwise. And perhaps he truly was just rope-a-doping him early, knowing he'd win. But it was a competitive fight for 9 rounds.

Again, the Compubox can kiss my...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

“If they want me to come over and box again, then we can talk,” McGregor said. “The checks are not bad.”

$100000000 for 30 minutes, he lost but he didn't lose
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know where a guy can watch a free replay?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

So Mayweather 50-0... GOAT?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

I went to a friends house, dropped $20.00 in the bowl, ate good and saw a good fight.

I had McGregor winning the first four rounds. I was impressed by his boxing skills until I heard Floyd's game plan.

Let him spend his breakfast and lunch money then have him for dinner. Brilliant plan, Conor was spent in the later rounds.

It was a good stoppage though I thought McGregor could have gone a little father. Maybe, just maybe, Byrd should have allowed Conor a chance to regroup but it was just a matter of time.

Everyone says Floyd doesn't punch hard, I agree but he hits so often it adds up to hard as evidenced in round 10. A puncher would have Marquez, Pacquiao'd him, put him to sleep.

Floyd did something I never thought I'd see him do, actually fight. Like Conor said he turned Floyd into a Mexican.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

I thought the only reason Mayweather was this aggressive was because Conor was vastly inexperienced in the boxing ring. No way he keeps walking up to an opponent say like Pacman who has a real chance to penalize him with a series of quick punches. This is the reason why he plays defensive boxing in the last couple of his matches because he could win on the scorecards doing that.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So Mayweather 50-0... GOAT?

Ask me when he wins 37 more fights to match Julio Cesar Chavez or 12 more to match Willie Pep, if undefeated streaks are the measure.
Me? I pick Henry Armstrong who held the Featherweight, Lightweight, and Welterweight titles all at the same time. There were no WBC WBA just single titles. Heals had a 27 fight KO streak, longest in history. Ray Robinsons 128-1-2 record rates higher than 50-0 in my opinion with his only loss a split decision rematch against Jake Lamotta
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
22 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I just don't agree with that. Floyd looked old and slower tonight. And he was fighting a dude who had literally never boxed as a professional before. And yet, to anyone who is being honest, McGregor had 3 rounds completely in the bag before round 4 even started. Rounds 4 and 5 were reasonably close rounds, so if the judges had any interest in fairness at all, it's possible that a fair judge could've given him 4 of the first 5 rounds (it was very clear that 2 of the 3 judges had no interest in fairness last night). And then even the Showtime "judge" had Conor winning one of the rounds after round 6. You could make the argument he won 5 rounds. I'm not saying everyone would agree with that, but you could absolutely make the argument. That fight was not a runaway, well, not through 9 rounds, anyway. Floyd was well on his way to at least a 10-8 round in Round 10, though, had it actually gone to a decision. He clearly deserved to win the fight and I'm not suggesting otherwise. And perhaps he truly was just rope-a-doping him early, knowing he'd win. But it was a competitive fight for 9 rounds.

Mayweather is clearly declined, but still miles ahead of McGregor in the ring. He's also not chinny by any stretch, but the one danger was getting caught early with power. So yes, he clearly rope a doped him through the first four or five, and carried him a few more after he wore himself down.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

Thought it would be more of a butt whooping to be honest. Props to Conor for lasting that long.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

I had no plans to spend money on this fight, but since a bunch of family came over last minute, I bit the bullet. I have no regrets. Got my money's worth and it was a closer fight than the score indicates. I was entertained.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I watched the fight again. Floyd carried McGregor the whole way through. Mayweather always starts slow. Conor won rounds 1-2 because Floyd let him throw his early bombs and didn't throw anything back, round 3 was 50/50 but I could see it going to Conor. After that it was all Floyd with a few moments for Conor here or there. Floyd came forward so obviously he was hit a lot more than he normally is. He was playing around in there, was never in danger. Didn't respect McG's power so he walked him down and ended it in the 10th. The reason why Pacquiao hit him less than Conor is because Floyd respected his power and skill level and didn't stand in the pocket and trade.

With that said, you could see Father time taking over. Floyd was slower, timing was a bit off, and lacked power in his punches. If he fought anyone else (Spence, Thurman, etc), he would get stopped. Perfect time to retire.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Boxing was a great sport growing up when I was a kid but mma is better and has been better for a long time.

This is mostly likely the last boxing fight I watch
yall said that after Pacman vs Mayweather.

yall will come to watch again if old man may has another bout with someone else. most people hate may so much they wish anyone would KO him. so they were willing to spend 100 bucks in hopes an non professional boxer woudl do the job. lol.

Mayweather vs GGG... I'll watch that
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Boxing was a great sport growing up when I was a kid but mma is better and has been better for a long time.

This is mostly likely the last boxing fight I watch
yall said that after Pacman vs Mayweather.

yall will come to watch again if old man may has another bout with someone else. most people hate may so much they wish anyone would KO him. so they were willing to spend 100 bucks in hopes an non professional boxer woudl do the job. lol.

Mayweather vs GGG... I'll watch that

I want the top 2 current PvPs to square off Ward/GGG.
Or Lomachenko/Rigondeaux

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Fight went pretty much as most experts expected. TKO with McGregor unable to defend himself. Would have been worse if he fought a slugger. Floyd basically let him gas out before really going after him.

Props to Conor for looking better than most thought he would. The fight was never close though.

Entertaining none the less, glad I kicked in $20 to watch at my friend's place

It was the first boxing match I'd seen in a long time; had an enjoyable time. One of my senior residents had rented out the theater at his apartment complex and called a bunch of people over. It was a grand old time with drinks, food, laughter and screaming at the screen whenever the (bleep) UFC stream would go out.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
22 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Mayweather is clearly declined, but still miles ahead of McGregor in the ring. He's also not chinny by any stretch, but the one danger was getting caught early with power. So yes, he clearly rope a doped him through the first four or five, and carried him a few more after he wore himself down.

Yeah, I guess that all makes sense. It was just so surprising to me to see McGregor clearly winning early rounds against, you know, one of the greatest boxers ever. I know he's 40 now and all that, but I was still surprised that he felt that he had to come up with that sort of a plan to win. I guess it does show that he took him seriously, if nothing else. And as I said, it did make for an entertaining fight, and Floyd's fights are usually not that, at least not in recent years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

It also illustrates the vast class difference between mma and boxers. Sure, if allowed to grapple some mma guys would win matches, but toe to toe, striking? The best of them are going to get worked.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I went to a friends house, dropped $20.00 in the bowl, ate good and saw a good fight.

I had McGregor winning the first four rounds. I was impressed by his boxing skills until I heard Floyd's game plan.

Let him spend his breakfast and lunch money then have him for dinner. Brilliant plan, Conor was spent in the later rounds.

It was a good stoppage though I thought McGregor could have gone a little father. Maybe, just maybe, Byrd should have allowed Conor a chance to regroup but it was just a matter of time.

Everyone says Floyd doesn't punch hard, I agree but he hits so often it adds up to hard as evidenced in round 10. A puncher would have Marquez, Pacquiao'd him, put him to sleep.

Floyd did something I never thought I'd see him do, actually fight. Like Conor said he turned Floyd into a Mexican.

everyone that has never boxed says floyd doesnt hit hard.
the actual guys he fights says "he hits harder than i thought."

Him and 50cent got into it when they were buddy buddy over some nonsense. and 50 grabbed him up and at the same time got clocked right behind the ear by floyd. he admitted "my ear was ringing for days. that little dude does hit hard to be that size."

i keep telling people. a professional champion of his skill level. doesnt have to hit SUPER KO hard to put you down. these type of guys are so precise with their punches they know where to hit you to daze you. Its darn near like watching an old kungfu flick and watching someone talk about pressure points. thats how skilled a guy like mayweather is. respect it. even if you dont respect him as a person, and even if you dont like his mouth. respect the skill level and respect that he respects the science of boxing. the man is a boxing savant.

and yes Mcgregor did impress him and us with his willingness to jab like a real boxer that is smart enough to use his reach. some pros are too dumb to do that when fighting guys they know are better than them. because the crowd and the fans make them want to KO a guy so they just can't stick to the gameplan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17
Jump to: