Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Yeah, the sports have moved far apart. Neither spot's guy is going to fare well in the other, unless they've come up training in both. Boxers are going to get submitted in MMA, and MMA guys are going to find a level of violence is in the boxing ring their sport only hints at.
but hold on. how do we say this when we can clearly see striker champions throughout mma's existence.

it would be one thing if you have never seen one or two and then some.

Really really good strikers with power lay guys out. That BJJ guy can't get in close because I'm laying him out when he tries to get to the inside.

You know which guys get submitted the quickest? guys that are TRYING to stand up and hesitate that are not that good at standing up to begin with. nor are they good at the ground defense.

I know people dont like to admit it. but its true. You give me boxing champions especially those with power. and toss him in the octagon with a submission guy. and odds are the submission guy will get his head knocked clean off trying to get in close.

First of all, an MMA guy wouldn't "take you down" like a strict submission guy. There is no "strict" submission guy in the fight game anymore. Period. Christ. He'd kick your (bleep) face into oblivin. Or kick your legs until it's a ground meat. Just fyi, boxer's stance is literally the worse possible against leg kicks. Trust me. But I"m sure you knew that. Ask someone that's gone into a fight gym with both boxers/and MMA guys and I promise you they'll say the same thing. Listen to you talking like it's 1995.

Seriously...wtf...the all of a sudden show up experts.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Yeah, the sports have moved far apart. Neither spot's guy is going to fare well in the other, unless they've come up training in both. Boxers are going to get submitted in MMA, and MMA guys are going to find a level of violence is in the boxing ring their sport only hints at.

They'd get pieced up with the other guys hands but to even suggest that MMA guys don't undergo the same level of violenc is laughable. Truly this thread.
they do but its not strictly to the head. which it is in boxing for the most part.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

They'd get pieced up with the other guys hands but to even suggest that MMA guys don't undergo the same level of violenc is laughable. Truly this thread.
they do but its not strictly to the head. which it is in boxing for the most part.

I 100% agree. With that said..how many times have you seen a boxer get beaten in the face to the point he seizures. That happens in MMA. Several times a year at the highest level.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
but hold on. how do we say this when we can clearly see striker champions throughout mma's existence.

Really really good strikers with power lay guys out. That BJJ guy can't get in close because I'm laying him out when he tries to get to the inside.

You know which guys get submitted the quickest? guys that are TRYING to stand up and hesitate that are not that good at standing up to begin with. nor are they good at the ground defense.

I know people dont like to admit it. but its true. You give me boxing champions especially those with power. and toss him in the octagon with a submission guy. and odds are the submission guy will get his head knocked clean off trying to get in close.

First of all, an MMA guy wouldn't "take you down" like a strict submission guy. There is no "strict" submission guy in the fight game anymore. Period. Christ. He'd kick your (bleep) face into oblivin. Or kick your legs until it's a ground meat. Just fyi, boxer's stance is literally the worse possible against leg kicks. Trust me. But I"m sure you knew that. Ask someone that's gone into a fight gym with both boxers/and MMA guys and I promise you they'll say the same thing. Listen to you talking like it's 1995.

Seriously...what the heck...the all of a sudden show up experts.

Omar Little: I've step in the ring and had no fear but mma now thats a different story
splashmtn: Stand up fighter get rocked in the UFC all the time.

I respect boxers but if they got in a street fight with most mma fighters they would end up in a hospital because they're trained in only one discipline.

In boxing there is too much inferences from the refs because they're too many rules.
In mma they put light weight gloves on the fighters and try to stay out of the way.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I 100% agree. With that said..how many times have you seen a boxer get beaten in the face to the point he seizures. That happens in MMA. Several times a year at the highest level.

Allll the time. That's why refs stop the fights when a guy is essentially defenseless particularly the way Conor looked because one shot can wreck your life especially from a boxer.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

Do people remember when MMA was banned from most states because of its brutality? Even with all the rules in place to make the sport safer, the sport is much more dangerous than boxing.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

oh i've seen the random boxer get his lets kicked to death and watched the tree fall. I'm not talking about a run of the mill boxer.
I said champion caliber boxers that have power and a chin.

and lets be clear as good as kicks to the head are. a boxer with good defense could possibly stay alive long enough to punch back.

you have to realize. you are then dealing with two deadly weapons. Boxers Fists and the ...lets say Kick boxers FEET. Somebody is going down. And if that kick boxer gets in to close. Crack.... Remember what i said. These MMA guys dont necessarily have good chins. They dont need to. you're not dealing with precise strikes to the head over and over by guys who were born hitting hard and now trained to hit harder with more precision.

Now if the boxer is too short with too short of a reach. he's toast.

But to your point about a boxers stance being the worse possible stance in a MMA fight. that goes both ways. a MMA fighters defense when standing in with a boxer is probably the worse a fighter could use. MMA fighters are just lucky champions would never go to the octagon for less money(like someone said about boxing being more lucrative.)

Last edited by splashmtn on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Is that because they are beaten into one or is it because they already are prone to have seizures or have glass joes and soft chins? remember what i said above. If you have a rock hard chin and you're accurate with your ffist. you're a born boxer waiting to be trained. if not, but you still want to fight. Your best best is to go the MMA route. We've all seen the youngest Klitchko brother. Darn good boxer, pretty good power. ZERO CHINO and easy to cut. That guy's face and chin were not made for he to be a boxer. even though he had the skill set and the brains to out smart other boxers.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Omar Little: I've step in the ring and had no fear but mma now thats a different story

I respect boxers but if they got in a street fight with most mma fighters they would end up in a hospital because they're trained in only one discipline.

In boxing there is too much inferences from the refs because they're too many rules.
In mma they put light weight gloves on the fighters and try to stay out of the way.
standup fighters do get rocked a ton in MMA. But those guys are not ELITE BOXERS. I specifically said Championship caliber boxers. not over the hill hasbeen's like james toney.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

standup fighters do get rocked a ton in MMA. But those guys are not ELITE BOXERS. I specifically said Championship caliber boxers. not over the hill hasbeen's like james toney.

I know its hard to see but its easier to grapple, and its easier to kick. Because the target for these two things are huge. But the head as a target is not huge in comparison to the body and just kicking someone. unless of course you're trying to kick someone in the head.

Boxing takes more precision and good stand up defense. a lot of guys dont have good stand up defense. which is why when you get the few good strikers. They lay guys out like pancakes. These guys dont know how to block punches, bob/weave, stay on their toes, etc. these dudes are flat footed head right there waiting to be hit.

I've been following it since the VHS tapes. when there was no weight class and it was all out war. darn near a mortal kombat championship. with everyone in the ring. the boxers were always suspect. they were never TOP TIER guys. and they would get whooped ASAP. All you have to do is look to the old and even some of the current day stand up guys who KO guys with their fists to realize if that guy was a championship caliber trained boxer. it would've been worse and the bouts would've been over even quicker.

a boxer knows where to punch a non boxer in the body and have the fight stopped on one punch. Most these MMA guys dont even know how to defend that because they never had to. they had to defend BJJ techniques. which is super difficult on its on.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Do people remember when MMA was banned from most states because of its brutality? Even with all the rules in place to make the sport safer, the sport is much more dangerous than boxing.
NO its not. and yes i remember. they were hating on it. I have a feeling boxing was paying people to hate on it and/or old boxing fans where in charge of installing the ban.

you know how people are, especially older people. They like what they grew up watching. no matter what you show them on the other side. they will still swear by what they know.

The banned was more about how bad it LOOKED visually. We already know boxing has probably taken more lives due to actual bouts than MMA, even if you do it per year on average. we know boxing has probably left more people with brain damage(guys that boxed for a long time.)

You keep hitting someone in the head over and over and over again. it wont end well for the other person. it may not be today but at some point. the brain will start having issues.

MMA guys look worse visually. But they can heal up and be ok. and live good lives with no brain damage down the line. since they were getting their arms pulled into bad directions or their legs. now could those things be bad when they get old? YEP. but they still have their brains.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
NO its not. and yes i remember. they were hating on it. I have a feeling boxing was paying people to hate on it and/or old boxing fans where in charge of installing the ban.

you know how people are, especially older people. They like what they grew up watching. no matter what you show them on the other side. they will still swear by what they know.

The banned was more about how bad it LOOKED visually. We already know boxing has probably taken more lives due to actual bouts than MMA, even if you do it per year on average. we know boxing has probably left more people with brain damage(guys that boxed for a long time.)

You keep hitting someone in the head over and over and over again. it wont end well for the other person. it may not be today but at some point. the brain will start having issues.

MMA guys look worse visually. But they can heal up and be ok. and live good lives with no brain damage down the line. since they were getting their arms pulled into bad directions or their legs. now could those things be bad when they get old? YEP. but they still have their brains.

A really good article with studies to back its claims. It's findings were that:
"There is evidence to support the proposition that professional boxing is more dangerous than mixed martial arts, and evidence to the contrary."

But my understanding from the article makes me believe it is more likely to get long-term head damage from boxing.

http://www.thejournal.ie/the-journal-factcheck-mma-boxing-safety-injury-2713577-Apr2016/
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Boxing is actually more dangerous, because once a guy is rocked once in a MMA fight and goes down, they don't let him get back up and keep trying. They call the fight. More boxers have died since MMA has been around, this is a fact.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

oh i've seen the random boxer get his lets kicked to death and watched the tree fall. I'm not talking about a run of the mill boxer.
I said champion caliber boxers that have power and a chin.

and lets be clear as good as kicks to the head are. a boxer with good defense could possibly stay alive long enough to punch back.

you have to realize. you are then dealing with two deadly weapons. Boxers Fists and the ...lets say Kick boxers FEET. Somebody is going down. And if that kick boxer gets in to close. Crack.... Remember what i said. These MMA guys dont necessarily have good chins. They dont need to. you're not dealing with precise strikes to the head over and over by guys who were born hitting hard and now trained to hit harder with more precision.

Now if the boxer is too short with too short of a reach. he's toast.

But to your point about a boxers stance being the worse possible stance in a MMA fight. that goes both ways. a MMA fighters defense when standing in with a boxer is probably the worse a fighter could use. MMA fighters are just lucky champions would never go to the octagon for less money(like someone said about boxing being more lucrative.)

They wouldn't need to worry about it. After the first few boxing guys would get their heads kicked off, their legs chopped down (seriously, Jose Aldo/Urijah Faber - look at the first few pictures here), their knees and arms torn up, or choked out, that would be the end of boxing guys trying their hands at MMA.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Advantage to the fighter who's playing by the rules of their discipline. Using Marquess of Queensberry, advantage boxer. Using MMA, advantage MMA fighter.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Boxing is actually more dangerous, because once a guy is rocked once in a MMA fight and goes down, they don't let him get back up and keep trying. They call the fight. More boxers have died since MMA has been around, this is a fact.

Maybe the standing 8 counts allowed an injured fighter to got hit more?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Maybe the standing 8 counts allowed an injured fighter to got hit more?

Right. And it's all to the head.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

just adding fuel to the fire LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to: