Clippers closing in on privately funded arena in Inglewood (3-25-20 Clippers buy the Forum)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Judging by their rebranding, that's goin be one bland arena. Ballmer has no taste.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:
Dodgers, Ducks, and Angels all need new facilities too.

I wonder if they will consider Inglewood.

Staples Center is already out dated, it needs major improvements. You figure any arena built by Ballmer will have cutting edge technology, making Staples look like a dinosaur.

The building itself is structurally fine.
If you mean by the technology to connect everyone to the internet and latest technology like 4k screens and jumbotrons, its definitely showing its age on that end. However, I don't think they need to demolish an 18 year old building to do that.

No, just some added improvements. After almost 20 years the Lakers should insist on it.

I'm sure the Buss family will get right on it with their billions of dollars....oh wait....
Theres a reason they had to sell 25% of the team to AEG so they can be a co-tenant with the Kings. The Kings owner has way more money than the Buss family.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

As a lifelong resident of Inglewood, I wish Ballmer would get the hint that he should move his team out of L.A. period and go to Seattle. He's being stubborn. The clippers will never truly be respected here....ever!
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:

Staples Center is already out dated, it needs major improvements. You figure any arena built by Ballmer will have cutting edge technology, making Staples look like a dinosaur.

If you mean by the technology to connect everyone to the internet and latest technology like 4k screens and jumbotrons, its definitely showing its age on that end. However, I don't think they need to demolish an 18 year old building to do that.

No, just some added improvements. After almost 20 years the Lakers should insist on it.

I'm sure the Buss family will get right on it with their billions of dollars....oh wait....

Why would it cost billions of dollars to upgrade the wifi at Staples Center?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
As a lifelong resident of Inglewood, I wish Ballmer would get the hint that he should move his team out of L.A. period and go to Seattle. He's being stubborn. The clippers will never truly be respected here....ever!

His team value takes a hit if he moves to Seattle.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
This stadium will never get built, to me is the first domino for Ballmer to move to Seattle, reason this wont get built is MSG sunk alot of money into the Forum a few years ago and is already complaining, they have the money to fight this and ultimately will win the fight

Seattle deserves a team, what happened there is a travesty.

I am sure Ballmer would be fine with it, he paid top dollar, let him do it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kwase wrote:

I don't think so.

Seattle as a big fish is a great fit for the team.

I would rebrand as the Sonics though.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Idk their fan base is strong plus the growth up there is nuts.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Looks like they're also looking to build a new training facility. The one they built near Marina del Rey was just opened in 2008 but I guess Ballmer doesn't care since it wasn't his money that paid for it.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kwase wrote:

There are 13.4 million people in the Metro LA area. 18.7 million in the "Greater Los Angeles Area."

There are 3.7 million people in the Metro Seattle area. 4.3 million in the "Greater Seattle Area."

The crumbs as the 2nd team in LA are better than the steak as the #1 (and only) team in Seattle.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kwase wrote:

There are 13.4 million people in the Metro LA area. 18.7 million in the "Greater Los Angeles Area."

There are 3.7 million people in the Metro Seattle area. 4.3 million in the "Greater Seattle Area."

The crumbs as the 2nd team in LA are better than the steak as the #1 (and only) team in Seattle.

Yep, and also Ballmer has aspirational dreams to make the Clippers the dominant NBA team in LA. He doesn't care about the Lakers history. If the Lakers keep getting stuck in the mud with their rebuilding, a lot of the newer youth fans will probably watch the Clippers. Ballmer is hell bent on changing the Clippers culture, of which Donald Sterling was just fine with just being that 2nd team in LA and paying the bare minimum to field a team. This is why that ownership change was such a big deal. You had the cheapest owner in the NBA forced to sell to a guy who has the most money of all the NBA owners. Ballmer high-tailing off to Seattle would be admitting defeat and somebody as competitive as him doesn't cede the #2 market just like that. If the Lakers ownership keeps screwing up he can see the Clippers capitalizing on that. Ballmer also does things that were unheard of back in Donald T. Sterling days. One is building an NBA arena with his own money. Two is challenging the Lakers for free agents. Three is refusing to take a backseat as the 2nd team in LA. That should scare the Lakers front office.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:

Add new tech to the place, and also upgrade and improve the food choices.

Also could fix those seats, particularly those not so cheap 300 section seats. Make those seats have cupholder arm rests to allow people to have more room or couples have more snuggle area like at movie theaters and move Those seats suck currently.

Improve that concert sound too. It blows. Since day one.

More giveaways to the fans. Not like you got the perennial championship contender to say f you to the fans and critics.

Bye.
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Yep, and also Ballmer has aspirational dreams to make the Clippers the dominant NBA team in LA. He doesn't care about the Lakers history. If the Lakers keep getting stuck in the mud with their rebuilding, a lot of the newer youth fans will probably watch the Clippers. Ballmer is hell bent on changing the Clippers culture, of which Donald Sterling was just fine with just being that 2nd team in LA and paying the bare minimum to field a team. This is why that ownership change was such a big deal. You had the cheapest owner in the NBA forced to sell to a guy who has the most money of all the NBA owners. Ballmer high-tailing off to Seattle would be admitting defeat and somebody as competitive as him doesn't cede the #2 market just like that. If the Lakers ownership keeps screwing up he can see the Clippers capitalizing on that. Ballmer also does things that were unheard of back in Donald T. Sterling days. One is building an NBA arena with his own money. Two is challenging the Lakers for free agents. Three is refusing to take a backseat as the 2nd team in LA. That should scare the Lakers front office.

Yeah, if he wanted to move the team to Seattle he wouldn't have started a D League team in Ontario. The only way Seattle gets a team is expansion.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:

Also could fix those seats, particularly those not so cheap 300 section seats. Make those seats have cupholder arm rests to allow people to have more room or couples have more snuggle area like at movie theaters and move Those seats suck currently.

More giveaways to the fans. Not like you got the perennial championship contender to say f you to the fans and critics.

Bye.

Its not cheap to upgrade a building that is already built. Depends on how much refurbishment they want to put into the place. The Knicks recent MSG upgrade costed around a billion dollars. Staples Center is already in a prime location so I think it will be around for years to come. They will probably do some refreshes in the future.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I wish the Lakers would do this. Staples is garbage.

For concerts, sure. But for sporting events it fits like a glove. Other than the fact that it looks like a downed alien spacecraft from the outside (whereas the Forum is just nice to look at), what don't you like?

I think the opposite is true. Great venue for music and shows, but from a stadium geek's POV it leaves a lot to be desired, especially for the creme de la creme of world sports franchises (which the Lakers are, despite a dramatic recent drop in brand quality). It doesn't feel like a sports stadium. It feels like an all-purpose venue, which is what it is. After visiting bankers life fieldhouse and at&t park, two excellent sports venues, this is ever more apparent, IMO.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Are they going to cover all the street signs dedicated to Showtime Lakers with Clipper logos?
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Dear Clipper Nation,

Since acquiring the L.A. Clippers in 2014, I have been adamant that our players, coaches and staff receive the support they need to do their best work on and off the court. I’ve also committed to giving our fans and their families the NBA’s best game experience.

To date, we have greatly invested in our players, our coaching and support staff, our fan experience and our community.

Today, we are expanding that investment by entering into an agreement to explore an opportunity to build a new arena for the Clippers in the City of Inglewood. I have said from day one that we need to plan for the future. This agreement helps us do that by expanding our options.

The prospect of a new state-of-the-art NBA arena would allow us greater latitude to influence our game schedule, particularly as it relates to weekend games that are so important to our fans. We also want to offer our fans premium experiences in terms of technology, club spaces and other amenities; that’s easier to realize in a new arena.

This new arena would be 100 percent privately funded. No public dollars would be used for this project.

STAPLES Center has proudly been the L.A. Clippers’ home court since 1999. It will remain so until at least June 2024, when our lease expires. AEG, which operates STAPLES Center, remains our valued partner.

During the upcoming planning process, the Clippers and the City of Inglewood will work diligently together to evaluate this project in great detail. Regardless of where the Clippers take the court after 2024, I remain committed to helping the great city of Los Angeles and its citizens thrive. We look forward to sharing our progress as we continue along our journey to deliver championship results for our fans and the entire Los Angeles region.

Go Clips!

Steve

http://www.nba.com/clippers/steve-ballmer-letter-to-clippernation

Quote:
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) -- The Inglewood City Council unanimously approved an exclusive negotiating agreement with the Los Angeles Clippers on Thursday that could lead to the construction of an arena for the NBA team across the street from the future home of the NFL's Chargers and Rams.

The agreement calls for a three-year negotiating period, including a six-month extension, with a developer to build a state-of-the-art basketball arena with 18,000 to 20,000 seats. It requires the Clippers to pay a non-refundable $1.5 million deposit to cover costs associated with the planning.

The proposed arena would be on a 20-acre parcel of land located across the street from the under-construction, $2.6 billion NFL stadium that is set to open in 2020. The Clippers' complex would include team offices, parking and a practice facility.

The land is currently occupied by a variety of businesses.

The Clippers have a lease to play at Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles through 2024. However, the team's owner, Steve Ballmer, has been open about his desire for a new arena since he bought the Clippers for $2 billion in 2014.

The Clippers share Staples with the Los Angeles Lakers, the NHL's Kings and the WNBA's Sparks, leaving the Clippers third in choice of dates. They've played at the arena since it opened in 1999.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke is privately financing the NFL stadium as part of a 698-acre mixed-use development that includes housing, retail and entertainment. The stadium is scheduled to host the Super Bowl in 2022.]

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/15/la-clippers-considering-new-arena-inglewood
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:

For concerts, sure. But for sporting events it fits like a glove. Other than the fact that it looks like a downed alien spacecraft from the outside (whereas the Forum is just nice to look at), what don't you like?

I think the opposite is true. Great venue for music and shows, but from a stadium geek's POV it leaves a lot to be desired, especially for the creme de la creme of world sports franchises (which the Lakers are, despite a dramatic recent drop in brand quality). It doesn't feel like a sports stadium. It feels like an all-purpose venue, which is what it is. After visiting bankers life fieldhouse and at&t park, two excellent sports venues, this is ever more apparent, IMO.

The problem with using sports stadiums as concert venues is that the line of sight and acoustics are terrible. You pretty much have to go to a venue designed for music. I know the Forum was redesigned as a concert venue so the acoustics are much better than had it stayed a multi-use arena. I'm not sure that Staples will ever be a good concert venue considering you need to redesign how the sound bounces off the interior of the venue. Probably not worth the hassle if you use it for more than one purpose.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:

Both of those venues are designed for single use. Bankers Life primarily for basketball, it doesn't house any hockey teams although they can fit a hockey rink in there. AT&T Park is great as a baseball venue pretty much terrible for anything else if you saw the college bowl games it hosted.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:

I think the opposite is true. Great venue for music and shows, but from a stadium geek's POV it leaves a lot to be desired, especially for the creme de la creme of world sports franchises (which the Lakers are, despite a dramatic recent drop in brand quality).

You mean from like an ambiance perspective? Because acoustically it's terrible. Like hauling a gigantic PA into a stone cathedral and shouting at everyone for three hours. It doesn't even look like it was even designed for music. Bare concrete?

By comparison Forum's inner walls are all lined with sound absorption and diffusion material which is why it always sounds like a smaller hall than it really is. What MSG has done there since 2014 is amazing but it was always a good sounding arena.

Not sure what Staples is lacking from a sports perspective, but to each their own. Staples feels huge but the furthest sideline seats are closer than they were at the Forum.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:

Well sure, but none of that is going to cost anywhere near a billion dollars.

Quote:

Agree with you there. It'd be expensive but there are things they could do to dampen the sound in that giant gym a little bit.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
gumby wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:

Bye.

Its not cheap to upgrade a building that is already built. Depends on how much refurbishment they want to put into the place. The Knicks recent MSG upgrade costed around a billion dollars. Staples Center is already in a prime location so I think it will be around for years to come. They will probably do some refreshes in the future.

Well that was different, in that MSG opened the same year as the Forum did. Imagine what it would cost to try to turn the Forum into a modern NBA arena? Probably more than a billion.

Staples Center was built during the most recent wave of stadium construction, which is still ongoing. The difference between Staples Center (1999) and say, Arco Arena (1988) is much, much bigger than the difference between the new Sacramento Arena and Staples, even with a larger gap in time.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

I think the opposite is true. Great venue for music and shows, but from a stadium geek's POV it leaves a lot to be desired, especially for the creme de la creme of world sports franchises (which the Lakers are, despite a dramatic recent drop in brand quality).

You mean from like an ambiance perspective? Because acoustically it's terrible. Like hauling a gigantic PA into a stone cathedral and shouting at everyone for three hours. It doesn't even look like it was even designed for music. Bare concrete?

By comparison Forum's inner walls are all lined with sound absorption and diffusion material which is why it always sounds like a smaller hall than it really is. What MSG has done there since 2014 is amazing but it was always a good sounding arena.

Not sure what Staples is lacking from a sports perspective, but to each their own. Staples feels huge but the furthest sideline seats are closer than they were at the Forum.

Yes, the ambiance aspect. I have no input on its acoustics because I've only been in the pit for concerts at Staples.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:

Theres a reason they had to sell 25% of the team to AEG so they can be a co-tenant with the Kings. The Kings owner has way more money than the Buss family.

As the building owner the onus is on AEG for improvements. The Lakers should demand it, as part owner of the team AEG would benefit as well.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
gumby wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
goldenarmor wrote:

Bye.

Well that was different, in that MSG opened the same year as the Forum did. Imagine what it would cost to try to turn the Forum into a modern NBA arena? Probably more than a billion.

Staples Center was built during the most recent wave of stadium construction, which is still ongoing. The difference between Staples Center (1999) and say, Arco Arena (1988) is much, much bigger than the difference between the new Sacramento Arena and Staples, even with a larger gap in time.

It depends on how the stadium was constructed as well. Arco Arena was built on the cheap with few luxury seats so it was already outdated by the 2000's. This is why the Kings owners under the Maloof's complained for almost a decade to build a new arena. On the other hand, the Palace of Auburn Hills which was opened at the same time as Arco Arena was built with tons of luxury boxes and is still relatively modern. The Pistons are only moving to the new Arena in downtown Detroit because it is in a more central location.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: