1992 Dream Team vs. 2006 "Dream Team"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: 1992 Dream Team vs. 2006 "Dream Team"

For purposes of argument, let's assume everyone is the peak version.

Centers
Robinson/Ewing vs. Shaq/Bosh

PF
Barkley/Malone vs. Garnett/Duncan

SF
Bird/Pippen/Mullin vs. LeBron/McGrady/Melo
SG
Jordan/Drexler vs. Kobe/Wade

PG
Magic/Stockton vs. Kidd/Iverson

Peak Shaq would eat Robinson and Ewing alive. I also think KG/Duncan are longer and more defensive than Barkley and Malone. The SF battle is the closest for me. LeBron is the best, Bird is second and then McGrady vs. Pippen is pretty good and Melo>Mullin for me. For SG, MJ>Kobe (but not by much) and Wade>>Drexler. PG would be a massacre for the 92 team, although Stockton and Kidd would be a good matchup.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

I don't know of any 2006 "Dream Team" with that roster.
https://basketball.realgm.com/national/teams/1/United-States/rosters/2006/2/FIBA-World-Cup

Here is the 2008 team.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/teams/USA/2008/

Shaq isn't on there from your list. No AI or Duncan either. T-Mac and KG wasn't on either on those teams.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Dream Team vs. 2006 "Dream Team"

nomoreshaq wrote:

Centers

PF

SF
SG

PG

Peak Shaq would eat Robinson and Ewing alive. I also think KG/Duncan are longer and more defensive than Barkley and Malone. The SF battle is the closest for me. LeBron is the best, Bird is second and then McGrady vs. Pippen is pretty good and Melo>Mullin for me. For SG, MJ>Kobe (but not by much) and Wade>>Drexler. PG would be a massacre for the 92 team, although Stockton and Kidd would be a good matchup.

You have this all scrambled. Your "2006 Dream Team" (which didn't exist) is an assemblage of guys from four different Olympics team:

You are primarily thinking of the 2008 "Redeem Team," which did have Lebron and Kobe. However, it didn't have Shaq, Duncan or Garnett on it.

Shaq played on the 1996 Olympics team.

Tim Duncan was on the 2004 Olympics team.

Kevin Garnett was on the 2000 Olympics team
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

I'd actually drop Bosh from that team and add Ray Allen or Chris Paul.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Dream Team vs. 2006 "Dream Team"

activeverb wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

Centers

PF

SF
SG

PG

You have this all scrambled. Your "2006 Dream Team" (which didn't exist) is an assemblage of guys from four different Olympics team:

You are primarily thinking of the 2008 "Redeem Team," which did have Lebron and Kobe. However, it didn't have Shaq, Duncan or Garnett on it.

Shaq played on the 1996 Olympics team.

Tim Duncan was on the 2004 Olympics team.

Kevin Garnett was on the 2000 Olympics team

i meant a theoretical team. it wasn't clear in my OP. the dream team 92 was arguably the greatest talent ever assembled. i wonder if my "2006" team could compete.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject:

^^
I kind of see the fun of assembling a dream team from any particular year and wondering how good they might be. Magically letting all the players be any age loses the point of picking a particular year.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
^^
I kind of see the fun of assembling a dream team from any particular year and wondering how good they might be. Magically letting all the players be any age loses the point of picking a particular year.

Good point. I suppose old Shaq wouldn't be that great at this time, but on the flip side Bird was pretty much useless at that time too and Magic was over the hill.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
activeverb wrote:
^^

Good point. I suppose old Shaq wouldn't be that great at this time, but on the flip side Bird was pretty much useless at that time too and Magic was over the hill.

Bird barely played. He was just put on a team to honor him.

This was right after Magic retired from the NBA with HIV, but he was still a great player.

It's still the single greatest TV ever.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

op must mean 2008, not 2006.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject:

IMO, there was only one real "Dream Team" The '08 team was much younger, but in regards to talent, it is not close the '92 team. The '08 team included Carlos Boozer, Michael Redd, Deron Williams and Tayshaun Prince.....all nice players, but not close to '92 level. Outside Laettner (who was included because they wanted to include a college player) and Chris Mullin, every other member of the '92 team are NBA legends....icons of the game. In the end, one team had Michael Jordan, and one team did not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: