Ryan West - Laker's Director of Player Personnel may join Dad with Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
I understand that Jeannie/Magic/Pelinka want to stand on their own two feet but I hope it wasn't a matter of ego that kept them from bringing Jerry West back.

For gosh sakes, Jerry is like 80 years old...couldn't they have given him a consulting position for the next 5 or 10 years just to keep him away from helping other teams...especially the Clippers.

It's just like I once heard that when IBM and Microsoft were battling to come out with a new operating system a long time ago. I heard Microsoft bought all the discs on the market that they could and it prevented Microsoft from releasing their product on time. (Is this true?)

Or another Microsoft tactic of buying out small promising competitors and either marketing their product as their own or just burying their technology in the basement.

Oh, but these tactics would be something S Ballmer would be familiar with.

Maybe Jeannie is just out of her league here.

I really hope the Lakers know what they are doing.

She's been out her league since day one, just like Jimbo was.

Yes
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
If Ryan walks, the highest ranking member of our scouting department is Jesse Buss.

I can't help but wonder how Magic/Rob feel about the prospect of that happening.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
So why didn't Ryan join dad in GS?

Mitch kept him with the Lakers. Sacramento tried hiring Ryan as GM but he felt he wasn't ready. With dad as his right hand, that wouldn't be a problem. Ryan is respected around the league and the Laker FO losing him would be another loss.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
If Ryan walks, the highest ranking member of our scouting department is Jesse Buss.

This is a very sizable and potentially dark and heavy cloud looming over the Lakers decision not to bring Logo back in. One would think they'd have the good sense to do whatever it takes to keep Ryan on board. Then again, one would think that bringing West back in as a consultant was a no-brainer too.

What I want to know is how is Magic and, more specifically, Jeannie avoiding strong lines of questioning this non-move? Didn't Mitch & Jim catch some flack?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Jerry's other son Jonnie is a executive with the Dubs. I wonder if he'll join the Clippers too.

my guess is more likely than Ryan.....heard Jerry once say that he was a young member in a FO full of younger executives.....and that he would likely have to change teams to advance.....in same interview he did not feel the same about Ryan......but that was when Jim and Mitch were still in control.

Ryan was being groomed to replace Mitch, now he only becomes Laker GM if Pelinka falls on his face.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I appreciate the ambitiousness on the part of the FO, now I'm hoping that their ambitiousness doesn't comes back to bite them in the behind for not finding some capacity for West.

One thing is clear, the refusal on their part to at least access this treasure of a resource makes their margin for error smaller.

Hopefully news will come out why the Warriors didn't extend West last year when they extended Myers.

Probably because his contract expires July 1 this year. And GS pushed hard to retain West.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
The timing just felt so perfect for Jerry to come back. Man. What a blunder. It's MDA over Phil all over again.

Hadn't thought of it that way, but that might be a good comparison.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

pio2u wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I hope Ryan stays but: If he walks, he walks. Surely there are other fish to fry. Through due diligence anyone can be replaced to a certain degree.

We'll survive.

Yes, Jerry Buss was replaced by Jeanie and Jim Buss. Are we surviving?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I appreciate the ambitiousness on the part of the FO, now I'm hoping that their ambitiousness doesn't comes back to bite them in the behind for not finding some capacity for West.

One thing is clear, the refusal on their part to at least access this treasure of a resource makes their margin for error smaller.

Hopefully news will come out why the Warriors didn't extend West last year when they extended Myers.

Probably because his contract expires July 1 this year. And GS pushed hard to retain West.

Wasn't Myer's contract supposed to end this year as well? But they extended him in advance?

From 2014: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/11469204/golden-state-warriors-gm-bob-myers-agrees-3-year-extension

Quote:
Golden State Warriors general manager Bob Myers has agreed to a three-year extension that will keep him under contract through the 2017-18 season.

And from 2017: http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/20/new-title-longer-contract-more-money-for-warriors-gm-bob-myers-its-well-earned-and-takes-him-past-the-2017-2018-season/

Quote:
Warriors GM Bob Myers not only received a promotion — adding the title of president/basketball operations — on Tuesday, an NBA source confirmed that Myers’ contract has been extended past 2017-2018, when his last extension was set to expire.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

I hope Ryan stays but: If he walks, he walks. Surely there are other fish to fry. Through due diligence anyone can be replaced to a certain degree.

We'll survive.

Yes, Jerry Buss was replaced by Jeanie and Jim Buss. Are we surviving?

IMO that has no bearing on this situation. Time will tell.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Jerry's other son Jonnie is a executive with the Dubs. I wonder if he'll join the Clippers too.

my guess is more likely than Ryan.....heard Jerry once say that he was a young member in a FO full of younger executives.....and that he would likely have to change teams to advance.....in same interview he did not feel the same about Ryan......but that was when Jim and Mitch were still in control.

Ryan was being groomed to replace Mitch, now he only becomes Laker GM if Pelinka falls on his face.

I had completely forgotten about that fact. Now it's easier to see him leaving. The aftershocks from the FO move continues.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Wasn't Myer's contract supposed to end this year as well? But they extended him in advance?

From 2014: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/11469204/golden-state-warriors-gm-bob-myers-agrees-3-year-extension

Quote:
Golden State Warriors general manager Bob Myers has agreed to a three-year extension that will keep him under contract through the 2017-18 season.

And from 2017: http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/20/new-title-longer-contract-more-money-for-warriors-gm-bob-myers-its-well-earned-and-takes-him-past-the-2017-2018-season/

Quote:
Warriors GM Bob Myers not only received a promotion — adding the title of president/basketball operations — on Tuesday, an NBA source confirmed that Myers’ contract has been extended past 2017-2018, when his last extension was set to expire.

I don't mean to be a smart alec, but isn't it obvious West wanted to move on? Myers wanted to stay, West was ready to leave.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

I don't see it happening.

Ryan stays with the Lakers and remain Director of Player Personal, working alongside a young brass with Luke, Pelinka and a longtime acquaintance in Magic and Jeanie Buss.

or he goes to the hallway rivals to work for a pompous loudmouth Ballmer, President of Bask Opps & Heach Coach Doc, GM Wohl. Only positive on the Clippers for him is that his dad is now with the franchise in a "consultant" role, not even full time.

The grass isnt always greener on the other side. I say he stays with the Lakers.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

OK, I understand that we are talking about the logo but he is going to work for the Clippers? The evil flipping Clippers. Blame Jeannie if you want, but Jerry deserves blame. If junior wants to go with him and make a lateral move to the disgusting organization, then that says something about him. They both just as well be Celtics as far as I'm concerned.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't mean to be a smart alec, but isn't it obvious West wanted to move on? Myers wanted to stay, West was ready to leave.

Ah, so you mean, when you said

Quote:

that meant

Quote:
Myers wanted to stay, West was ready to leave.

But I'll take it. I couldn't find any articles mentioning the Warriors even offering an extension at that time. But I trust you.
Lawrence Tanter
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

Jerry is coming off as a bit of a drama queen. This really seems like a revenge move, which tarnishes his legacy. This all seems out of character for him. He's never been a guy who craves the spotlight and the drama that comes with it. It's all very sad and disappointing.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Jerry West tends to move on pretty quickly from team to team.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

Lawrence Tanter wrote:
Jerry is coming off as a bit of a drama queen. This really seems like a revenge move, which tarnishes his legacy. This all seems out of character for him. He's never been a guy who craves the spotlight and the drama that comes with it. It's all very sad and disappointing.

I think he's looking to collect checks. Its not even about the Lakers or Clippers or any other franchise. He wanted something in CA state and after GSW didnt extend him an offer, the Lakers were his ideal destination, but the Clippers love Laker hand downs, and since Jeanie didnt want him, Clippers swooped in and took him.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
I understand that Jeannie/Magic/Pelinka want to stand on their own two feet but I hope it wasn't a matter of ego that kept them from bringing Jerry West back.

For gosh sakes, Jerry is like 80 years old...couldn't they have given him a consulting position for the next 5 or 10 years just to keep him away from helping other teams...especially the Clippers.

It's just like I once heard that when IBM and Microsoft were battling to come out with a new operating system a long time ago. I heard Microsoft bought all the discs on the market that they could and it prevented Microsoft from releasing their product on time. (Is this true?)

Or another Microsoft tactic of buying out small promising competitors and either marketing their product as their own or just burying their technology in the basement.

Oh, but these tactics would be something S Ballmer would be familiar with.

Maybe Jeannie is just out of her league here.

I really hope the Lakers know what they are doing.

She's been out her league since day one, just like Jimbo was.

Yes

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
I don't see it happening.

Ryan stays with the Lakers and remain Director of Player Personal, working alongside a young brass with Luke, Pelinka and a longtime acquaintance in Magic and Jeanie Buss.

or he goes to the hallway rivals to work for a pompous loudmouth Ballmer, President of Bask Opps & Heach Coach Doc, GM Wohl. Only positive on the Clippers for him is that his dad is now with the franchise in a "consultant" role, not even full time.

The grass isnt always greener on the other side. I say he stays with the Lakers.

Ryan would be the GM with the Clippers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Lawrence Tanter wrote:

I think he's looking to collect checks. Its not even about the Lakers or Clippers or any other franchise. He wanted something in CA state and after GSW didnt extend him an offer, the Lakers were his ideal destination, but the Clippers love Laker hand downs, and since Jeanie didnt want him, Clippers swooped in and took him.

GS did extend an offer, at least get the facts right
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lawrence Tanter wrote:

Can you say "Laker Guuuurls"?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Lawrence Tanter wrote:

He isn't craving the spotlight, he simply is looking for a local team to join and help build a winner.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Lawrence Tanter wrote:

Can you say "Laker Guuuurls"?

Not even the great Jerry Buss will be able to help a cursed franchise. As long as they play in the Laker's house they will be nutin...ohwait
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
OK, I understand that we are talking about the logo but he is going to work for the Clippers? The evil flipping Clippers. Blame Jeannie if you want, but Jerry deserves blame. If junior wants to go with him and make a lateral move to the disgusting organization, then that says something about him. They both just as well be Celtics as far as I'm concerned.

what was the guy going to do when he wanted to come home and he offered his services to the Lakers but the Lakers declined?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: