Ryan West - Laker's Director of Player Personnel may join Dad with Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 1395

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
If Ryan walks, the highest ranking member of our scouting department is Jesse Buss.


This is a very sizable and potentially dark and heavy cloud looming over the Lakers decision not to bring Logo back in. One would think they'd have the good sense to do whatever it takes to keep Ryan on board. Then again, one would think that bringing West back in as a consultant was a no-brainer too.

What I want to know is how is Magic and, more specifically, Jeannie avoiding strong lines of questioning this non-move? Didn't Mitch & Jim catch some flack?

lol...I think you're being a tad over dramatic. If the worst thing that happens to the org for not bringing West back is that they lose Ryan, I wouldn't exactly consider that to be irrecoverable.

That's not to diminish Ryan's FO skills, though. But then again, if he's as promising as a FO prospect as he's perceived to be, his leaving was inevitable anyways. If he does leave it'll sting, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 6079
Location: searching for the mojo of Dr. Buss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

How do you say no to Jerry West? Because he didn't get along with your ex, PJ?? Because Jim Buss openly admired him???

Or maybe because Jerry West told Dr Buss that did not want to stay in an organization that was based on nepotism as opposed to competency... as Dr Buss wanted Jerry West to work with all his kids. I believe during that time, Jerry West wasn't thrilled the Jeannie Buss (and the other Buss kids) would have business and operational impact.

In the end, this is another act of pettiness from Jeannie. She's manipulative, not all that bright and petty. Fantastic combo.
_________________
"He may say it's not you, it's him.... but it's really you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 28789
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

jeanie is the worst owner in the nba
_________________
also sprach magic johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lawrence Tanter
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
jeanie is the worst owner in the nba


Fail comment of the day. Be thankful none of these buffoons own the Lakers:

James Dolan, Knicks
Josh Harris, 76ers
Vivek Ranadive, Kings
Robert Sarver, Suns
Stan Kroenke, Nuggets

Jeannie is light years ahead of them. I have full confidence in her ability to lead the Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Lawrence Tanter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
jeanie is the worst owner in the nba


Fail comment of the day. Be thankful none of these buffoons own the Lakers:

James Dolan, Knicks
Josh Harris, 76ers
Vivek Ranadive, Kings
Robert Sarver, Suns
Stan Kroenke, Nuggets

Jeannie is light years ahead of them. I have full confidence in her ability to lead the Lakers.


Heck no. Jeannie has proven jack squat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
youcantguardme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:
OK, I understand that we are talking about the logo but he is going to work for the Clippers? The evil flipping Clippers. Blame Jeannie if you want, but Jerry deserves blame. If junior wants to go with him and make a lateral move to the disgusting organization, then that says something about him. They both just as well be Celtics as far as I'm concerned.


what was the guy going to do when he wanted to come home and he offered his services to the Lakers but the Lakers declined?


1) Stay with the NBA champions
2) retire because he has earned it
3) NOT agree to go to work for the scumbag Clippers; the enemy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
youcantguardme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
jeanie is the worst owner in the nba


You are probably on the draft Lonzo Ball team too because he is a lock to be rookie of the year and MVP next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 121574
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Lawrence Tanter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
jeanie is the worst owner in the nba


Fail comment of the day. Be thankful none of these buffoons own the Lakers:

James Dolan, Knicks
Josh Harris, 76ers
Vivek Ranadive, Kings
Robert Sarver, Suns
Stan Kroenke, Nuggets

Jeannie is light years ahead of them. I have full confidence in her ability to lead the Lakers.


Heck no. Jeannie has proven jack squat.


Except embarrassment for Laker fans. But to be fair, Jeanie is only a co-owner, the Buss kids as a whole have been a joke.
_________________
#lakerclownshow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 12333
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

If Ryan West leaves for the Clippers, I wouldn't mind bringing in Sam Hinkie.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Nov 2001
Posts: 7068

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:
OK, I understand that we are talking about the logo but he is going to work for the Clippers? The evil flipping Clippers. Blame Jeannie if you want, but Jerry deserves blame. If junior wants to go with him and make a lateral move to the disgusting organization, then that says something about him. They both just as well be Celtics as far as I'm concerned.


what was the guy going to do when he wanted to come home and he offered his services to the Lakers but the Lakers declined?


1) Stay with the NBA champions
2) retire because he has earned it
3) NOT agree to go to work for the scumbag Clippers; the enemy.


Jerry West is entitled to go where he wants.

If you are 80 and one of the richest owners of NBA calls you and ask you to join his organization, you do it.

Jerry West has the same rights as Lebron, Durant, etc.

He is entitled to go anywhere he wants.

Especially when he gave the Lakers first chance and they said no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 38755

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Let him go.

It is a new era and there are a lot of interesting candidates who might just need a chance.

I disagree with the thought that Ryan West is an irreplaceable asset, in fact I don't subscribe to the fact that he has done as great a job as many here do because I am not high on our young core other than Ingram, Zubac and to a lesser extent Randle/Nance/Russell. I am over Clarkson
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 12 Aug 2001
Posts: 613

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

If Ryan goes, we should try to grab one of the Spurs' scouts. They've done remarkably well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YSong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 135

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

What's the big deal with Ryan West? He was never going to be Laker GM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JeezyXVII
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 981

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
What's the big deal with Ryan West? He was never going to be Laker GM.


I think being the son of J West and being around the game from a very young age, people believe he has the natural eye for talent and potential outside of the norm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 8427

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Wait, is this report legit or speculation?
_________________
#exkuzme
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 11756

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Let him go.

It is a new era and there are a lot of interesting candidates who might just need a chance.

I disagree with the thought that Ryan West is an irreplaceable asset, in fact I don't subscribe to the fact that he has done as great a job as many here do because I am not high on our young core other than Ingram, Zubac and to a lesser extent Randle/Nance/Russell. I am over Clarkson

You don't have to be high on the young core to be impressed with Clarkson, Zu, Nance at 46, 32, and 27... or with Russell over Okafor for that matter.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 79264
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Let him go.

It is a new era and there are a lot of interesting candidates who might just need a chance.

I disagree with the thought that Ryan West is an irreplaceable asset, in fact I don't subscribe to the fact that he has done as great a job as many here do because I am not high on our young core other than Ingram, Zubac and to a lesser extent Randle/Nance/Russell. I am over Clarkson

You don't have to be high on the young core to be impressed with Clarkson, Zu, Nance at 46, 32, and 27... or with Russell over Okafor for that matter.


Not to mention the idea that you can just bleed experience and successful skill sets for something new. If Jesse Buss is your top basketball mind, something new might be the best thing you can say about your institutional knowledge.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 4577

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie's hope/thought/vision/whatever is that Magic is going to be what Jerry was to her father.

We'll see but not bringing in West for such a minor role is short sighted especially if Ryan leaves who they gave a promotion to somewhat recently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 28763

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:
OK, I understand that we are talking about the logo but he is going to work for the Clippers? The evil flipping Clippers. Blame Jeannie if you want, but Jerry deserves blame. If junior wants to go with him and make a lateral move to the disgusting organization, then that says something about him. They both just as well be Celtics as far as I'm concerned.


what was the guy going to do when he wanted to come home and he offered his services to the Lakers but the Lakers declined?


1) Stay with the NBA champions
2) retire because he has earned it
3) NOT agree to go to work for the scumbag Clippers; the enemy.


Lakers loss that they don't want his services. He's done way more for the organization, helping assemble 2 different decades of championship Lakers teams. If the new generation of Buss family doesn't want him consulting, there are plenty of teams on the open market and the Clippers were one of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 28763

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Anyone else pissed off that the Clippers can't move to Inglewood until 2024?


The owners of the Staples Center don't want them to leave until the contract is fulfilled. And they have good reason because it fills 41 dates that would not be booked. Like it or not, the downtown businesses will lose if the Clippers leave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 1565

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Lawrence Tanter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
jeanie is the worst owner in the nba


Fail comment of the day. Be thankful none of these buffoons own the Lakers:

James Dolan, Knicks
Josh Harris, 76ers
Vivek Ranadive, Kings
Robert Sarver, Suns
Stan Kroenke, Nuggets

Jeannie is light years ahead of them. I have full confidence in her ability to lead the Lakers.


And the OKC owner who nickel and dimed his team and lost Harden.
Or The Cavs Dan Gilbert who is a slimeball.
Or Prokorhov the absentee owner who let Billy King rape his franchise.
Or the Minnesota, secret contract for Joe Smith, owner.
Or the petty crying Jordan of the Hornets.

I could probably list more losers here if I Googled the owners of other clubs.

The hate Jeanie gets on this board is absurd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Lawrence Tanter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
jeanie is the worst owner in the nba


Fail comment of the day. Be thankful none of these buffoons own the Lakers:

James Dolan, Knicks
Josh Harris, 76ers
Vivek Ranadive, Kings
Robert Sarver, Suns
Stan Kroenke, Nuggets

Jeannie is light years ahead of them. I have full confidence in her ability to lead the Lakers.


And the OKC owner who nickel and dimed his team and lost Harden.
Or The Cavs Dan Gilbert who is a slimeball.
Or Prokorhov the absentee owner who let Billy King assault his franchise.
Or the Minnesota, secret contract for Joe Smith, owner.
Or the petty crying Jordan of the Hornets.

I could probably list more losers here if I Googled the owners of other clubs.

The hate Jeanie gets on this board is absurd.


Well that's what happens when you don't have any good moves under your belt and you fail to make obvious ones like hiring Jerry West as a consultant.

Mitch was hated until he made the Gasol trade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 1565

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Lawrence Tanter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
jeanie is the worst owner in the nba


Fail comment of the day. Be thankful none of these buffoons own the Lakers:

James Dolan, Knicks
Josh Harris, 76ers
Vivek Ranadive, Kings
Robert Sarver, Suns
Stan Kroenke, Nuggets

Jeannie is light years ahead of them. I have full confidence in her ability to lead the Lakers.


And the OKC owner who nickel and dimed his team and lost Harden.
Or The Cavs Dan Gilbert who is a slimeball.
Or Prokorhov the absentee owner who let Billy King assault his franchise.
Or the Minnesota, secret contract for Joe Smith, owner.
Or the petty crying Jordan of the Hornets.

I could probably list more losers here if I Googled the owners of other clubs.

The hate Jeanie gets on this board is absurd.


Well that's what happens when you don't have any good moves under your belt and you fail to make obvious ones like hiring Jerry West as a consultant.

Mitch was hated until he made the Gasol trade.


No good moves? Getting rid of Jim Buss is probably a Top 10 move in the NBA for the year. Bringing in Magic. Running an efficient business side of the house. Etc.

I agree not getting West was a mistake. But for me one that is likely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things (the hysteria on here the past day has been quite amusing).

Suddenly now she's the worst? Even though without any effort you see listed here 10 owners who are easily worse. Seriously -- of the 10 owners we've llisted here, would you take any of those instead?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfan8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 27 May 2014
Posts: 984

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
I guess I'll keep asking cuz I'm really interested.
Anyone know why Ryan never went to GS to be w/ dad?


his brother already works there in FO


Jerry always liked Mitch, and Mitch and Jim worked well with Ryan. But now, Jeannie has fired Mitch and basically said F U to Jerry. Hard to see why Ryan stays.

Think from the Ryan West's view. The boss he used to work closely with was fired in a disrespectful way. And the new boss doesn't respect his father's expertise. Clearly, Jim and Magic have a different style of management and perhaps Ryan prefers the former one. I won't be surprised if Ryan is the one asking his dad for a job in the Clippers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Magic92
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 15 Jun 2017
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject:

Clippers nepotism on the rise. Again. From the Rivers to the Wests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB