PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 826, 827, 828 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

i dont understand this "extra year" talk.

if he signs a 5 year deal now, that will probably be his last big contract. after that he will get a small deal bc he is past his prime

however, if he comes here, even if he signs a 4 year deal, the contract after that will be larger than the contract he gets after 5 years.

but more realistically, he can sign a 2+1 deal here in la. and then re-up for a final supermax 5 year deal here in LA (or somewhere else) after the bad contracts of 2016 is off the books for every team. this means he can get possibly get 7 years of "max" money by coming to la, or he can get 5 years of max money in OKC, and then 2 years of "medium" money after that contract ends
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:

if he signs a 5 year deal now, that will probably be his last big contract. after that he will get a small deal bc he is past his prime

however, if he comes here, even if he signs a 4 year deal, the contract after that will be larger than the contract he gets after 5 years.

but more realistically, he can sign a 2+1 deal here in la. and then re-up for a final supermax 5 year deal here in LA (or somewhere else) after the bad contracts of 2016 is off the books for every team. this means he can get possibly get 7 years of "max" money by coming to la, or he can get 5 years of max money in OKC, and then 2 years of "medium" money after that contract ends

That's why we can't use the money argument for OKC.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Same rumors, different year.

Quote:
Sources: Thunder in strong position with Kevin Durant after meeting
Jun 30, 2016
Marc Stein
ESPN Senior Writer
A successful meeting with Kevin Durant and his closest confidantes Thursday has put the incumbent Oklahoma City Thunder in a strong position as Durant moves into meetings with five other free-agent suitors, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN that Thursday's five-hour meeting with Thunder officials at Chesapeake Energy Arena "went well" before Durant, his agent and business manager Rich Kleiman and longtime friend and manager Charlie Bell boarded a flight to New York to start huddling with other teams on Friday.

Multiple sources, including friends and business associates of Durant's, previously told The Undefeated's Marc Spears that, barring an unbelievable pitch from one of the teams trying to woo Durant, those close to him expect Durant to return to the Thunder next season.

"His decision is 90 percent made," a longtime friend told Spears.

LINK

Well, it looks like Durant is staying in OKC.

Exactly.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

That's why we can't use the money argument for OKC.

Speaking of money arguments "for" OKC, from PG's perspective he can't forget history. OKC's hatred of paying tax made them proactively deal Harden. No matter if the chips they dealt him for flopped, we're talking about two different organizations. One had such a hard stance on payroll that they uprooted a possible champion early, the other paid Kobe in his twilight. Not only will LA take care of George, but he can't trust a FO that will sign him one day and maybe send out a protected pick or two 2nds to rid themselves of Melo's opt in the next.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Gadget's responses are the best things about these rumors.

Small-time reporter/Youtube comment/Reddit post linking Lebron or George to the Lakers: Signs are pointing to a huge summer for the Lakers!

Big-time reporters putting out info that Lebron and George may not be headed to the Lakers: Guys, let's all be careful and take these reports with a grain of salt. A lot of speculating going on...

IG in a nutshell.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject:

Just putting it out there because it is the off season and slow in general.
But could we be the reason that pg is heading back to okc

If we got a better deal, like a trade for kawhi , I can see us passing on pg13

I am assuming then the max fa are LeBron and kawhi
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

Quote:
Jun 30, 2016
Marc Stein
ESPN Senior Writer
A successful meeting with Kevin Durant and his closest confidantes Thursday has put the incumbent Oklahoma City Thunder in a strong position as Durant moves into meetings with five other free-agent suitors, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN that Thursday's five-hour meeting with Thunder officials at Chesapeake Energy Arena "went well" before Durant, his agent and business manager Rich Kleiman and longtime friend and manager Charlie Bell boarded a flight to New York to start huddling with other teams on Friday.

Multiple sources, including friends and business associates of Durant's, previously told The Undefeated's Marc Spears that, barring an unbelievable pitch from one of the teams trying to woo Durant, those close to him expect Durant to return to the Thunder next season.

LINK

Yeah. PG/Lakers is a done deal. This is media-driven for click bait stuff. There is literally 0 reason to stay in OKC if LBJ is coming to the Lakers. If OKC had a better cap situation, it may be one thing, but even with Melo out after a year, they are hopelessly salary capped.

If I'm PG and Mintz, I'd be very wary that he would be Blake Griffin'd as OKC has no other tradeable assets (WB makes too much and Adams at 25m+ is too expensive).
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Gadget's responses are the best things about these rumors.

Small-time reporter/Youtube comment/Reddit post linking Lebron or George to the Lakers: Signs are pointing to a huge summer for the Lakers!

Big-time reporters putting out info that Lebron and George may not be headed to the Lakers: Guys, let's all be careful and take these reports with a grain of salt. A lot of speculating going on...

IG in a nutshell.

Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject:

All George has to do is come out, and say he's staying in OKC. He hasn't because he probably won't. He's been dating OKC for a year, he knows the city, he knows his teammates, and he knows management, yet he hasn't commit to them yet. Maybe he will, but I have seen this movie too many times before.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject:

many years ago: Indy teammates have allegedly said that PG has spoken openly about joining the Lakers one day.

over 1 year ago: PG demands a trade, says he will join the Lakers in 2018.

1 year ago: speculation that PG/LBJ were discussing possibly teaming up on the Cavs.

now: LBJ rumored to be a Laker.

So basically all the PG breadcrumbs have formed into one giant piece of Lakers bread.

I'm so ready to eat.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

All i know is I cant wait to play with PG & Bron on the Lakers in 2K haha
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Quote:
Jun 30, 2016
Marc Stein
ESPN Senior Writer

LINK

Well, it looks like Durant is staying in OKC.

Yep.
Seems like a done deal

Well look at this report. Great find guys. PG resigning with OKC is absolutely laughable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

To me it seems 100% from OKC's FO/camp to show that they didn't blow it again.

Having KD (Finals MVP, All-NBA/Star) leave, then trading Oladipo (All-NBA/star), then watching PG13 leave (All-NBA/star) is just subjecting that fan base to gut punch after gut punch.

So I guarantee you that they are leaking 100% to make it appear as if it's a close call when it's not.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:

I already have. I also traded BI for Kawhi. I hope we don't trade BI in real life, but it was easy to push that trade through lol.

2k Starting LA Squad.

1. Ball
2. Kawhi
3. PG
4. Bron
5. Randle

In real life, unless Ball gets a consistent jumper, Hart might be better with that line up since Bron will probably play point anyways. Regardless of what he says. Or we keep BI, trade Ball and extras for Kawhi, and run BI at the 1. Also, I'm not sure how Randle would work unless we traded Deng somehow, and still....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:

I already have. I also traded BI for Kawhi. I hope we don't trade BI in real life, but it was easy to push that trade through lol.

2k Starting LA Squad.

1. Ball
2. Kawhi
3. PG
4. Bron
5. Randle

In real life, unless Ball gets a consistent jumper, Hart might be better with that line up since Bron will probably play point anyways. Regardless of what he says. Or we keep BI, trade Ball and extras for Kawhi, and run BI at the 1. Also, I'm not sure how Randle would work unless we traded Deng somehow, and still....

How is it possible to keep Jules and trade for KL? I thought the cap numbers were too close for that to happen.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

Bill Plaschke on Dan Patrick this morning thinks PG13 to Lakers has been a done deal for months. LINK

You can skip to minute 25:20
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

Honest question... isn't it a bad sign for OKC's position that he is a virtual lock to return that he hasn't said so himself? I mean, the only people that have to wait for July 1 to talk to him are the other 29 teams. Durant is in the same situation, and he already declared his allegiance to the Warriors. George has no reason to be coy if he is returning.

The Thunder brass must know this as well, so the only reason for the rumor mongering is for them to put forth a positive face for as long as possible before the inevitable plays itself out.

fansincemagic wrote:

Speaking of money arguments "for" OKC, from PG's perspective he can't forget history. OKC's hatred of paying tax made them proactively deal Harden. No matter if the chips they dealt him for flopped, we're talking about two different organizations. One had such a hard stance on payroll that they uprooted a possible champion early, the other paid Kobe in his twilight. Not only will LA take care of George, but he can't trust a FO that will sign him one day and maybe send out a protected pick or two 2nds to rid themselves of Melo's opt in the next.

That was (mis)handled by OKC's previous administration. They have all-new ownership now so that won't factor into PG13's thinking at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

Lost KD.
Lost Dipo.
Going to lose PG13.

I mean, if you're an OKC fan, why are you still rooting for a team that loses an all NBA level player every offseason for the past few years?
DMAULS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

PGs not leaving a top 5 player. They can suck it out for a year, gel better and will be a better defensive team next year as well.

This is probably accurate, but is also me jinxing the (bleep) out if it.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lost KD.
Lost Dipo.
Going to lose PG13.

I mean, if you're an OKC fan, why are you still rooting for a team that loses an all NBA level player every offseason for the past few years?

James Harden (when all they had to do was waive Perkins to keep him)

Terrible management.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

DMAULS wrote:
PGs not leaving a top 5 player. They can suck it out for a year, gel better and will be a better defensive team next year as well.

I wouldn't say Westbrook is a top 5 player. Five other players that are definitely ahead of him are
Lebron
Durant
A.Davis
Curry
Kawahi
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:

its not just a extra year its like an extra 45mil over those 5 years. Yes he can try to bet on himself with 2+1 deals but 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, especially considering his injury history.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

DMAULS wrote:

Right. PG isn't leaving LBJ, who is the only top 5 player b/w him and WB.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:

2k Starting LA Squad.

1. Ball
2. Kawhi
3. PG
4. Bron
5. Randle

How is it possible to keep Jules and trade for KL? I thought the cap numbers were too close for that to happen.

Randle takes the QO with a wink-wink max deal in 2019. And guess what? We would still be short.

Unless PG/LeBron take a pay cut. Or PG opts in and gets traded to us. So yeah pipedream but hey go big or go home.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
If Paul George stays in OKC, he's signing on to another year of Melo and Westbrook. A team that was bounced in the 1st Round of the playoffs, by a Rookie.

He ain't doing that.

Agree, Westbrook seems like a loyal guy but as a star player I can't imagine anyone worse to play with.

If PG returns effectively he is staying I'd like to be a role player making max money for the rest of my career for an above average team with no shot at winning the title. In that case, we don't really want him.

Almost like paraphrasing Kobe's words. If the guy does not want to come play under the pressure to win then he is not cut for it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 826, 827, 828 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 827 of 1028
Jump to: