PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 833, 834, 835 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
Found this on reddit. Apparently it's from Marc Stein's newsletter that came out today

Quote:
Paul George: One and Done or One Plus One?Since last week’s newsletter itemabout the Thunder’s better-than-expected chances of retaining the All-Star forward Paul George in free agency, I’ve heard even more support around the league for the idea that Oklahoma City can really convince George to stay.No deal is done until it’s done, as they say, so there will be no tangible relief in O.K.C. until George officially spurns his hometown Los Angeles Lakers this summer to stay put alongside Russell Westbrook. Kevin Durant’s departure in 2016 is still too fresh — as is George’s well-chronicled interest to play in L.A. — for any premature celebrations.

But it has reached the point that potential contract scenarios are starting to circulate. More than one rival team has suggested to me that they expect George to strongly consider a two-year deal with the Thunder at $30.3 million next season and $32.7 million in 2019-20 that includes a player option to return to free agency next summer.

A full five-year deal with the Thunder would be worth a guaranteed $176 million, as my trusted Twitter salary cap consultant @AlbertNahmad reminds me, but the short-term option does come with several potential benefits. By signing what’s known as a “one-plus-one deal,” George would be giving himself more time to see how he likes Oklahoma City (and how the Thunder upgrade the roster) before making a longer commitment — while also locking in more than $60 million guaranteed as protection against another serious injury.

That would be dumb unless he planned on staying for two years. He would then have 10 years and could get the 35% max. After next season he would only have 9 years and 30%.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Godbe wrote:
It was just reported a couple days ago that the 5th year was the reason OKC could re-sign George.

Now they're reporting he's going to do a 1+1 lol. They're all over the place.

That’s because there is nothing to report, they are just speculating for clicks. And it seems to be working for them.
HisAirness24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Godbe wrote:
It was just reported a couple days ago that the 5th year was the reason OKC could re-sign George.

They contradict themselves daily. This is getting laughable. It's so obvious that all of this is fake news. PG/Mintz/Magic/Pelinka trying to downplay tampering, OKC selling to the their fan base 'hey we tried', PG trying to maintain the romance with RW but not staying in stinky OKC.

I honestly have been thinking what all this is. I'm sure that was embarrassing for all parties involved when they were fined (warranted or not), and it makes sense to not risk any authentic leaks again and perhaps do the opposite to level the playing field more.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Godbe wrote:

They contradict themselves daily. This is getting laughable. It's so obvious that all of this is fake news. PG/Mintz/Magic/Pelinka trying to downplay tampering, OKC selling to the their fan base 'hey we tried', PG trying to maintain the romance with RW but not staying in stinky OKC.

That pretty much sums it up.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
"Rival execs expect PG to consider..."

Umm ok I think even I could've reported that.

Lmao. Why is that in the headline.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

0514 wrote:
Kava wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's all conjecture. George may end up being convinced to stay in OKC, but nothing here does more than communicate third party opinions by people who have nothing to do with George himself. Also, the Lakers can offer George the same exact deal, which is partly why there really isnt any significant financial advantage for George to stay in OKC even excluding the increased endorsement money he is likely to receive as a Laker.

Did not know that. I was always under the impression that OKC could offer more $.

OKC can give him a 5 year vs 4 Years from us. The article was saying George may take a 1+1 but we can give him the same amount if he does a 1+1 so it wouldn’t make sense to do that with OKC

The difference is that if the second year comes into play OKC can pay him a little under a million more.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
0514 wrote:
Kava wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's all conjecture. George may end up being convinced to stay in OKC, but nothing here does more than communicate third party opinions by people who have nothing to do with George himself. Also, the Lakers can offer George the same exact deal, which is partly why there really isnt any significant financial advantage for George to stay in OKC even excluding the increased endorsement money he is likely to receive as a Laker.

Did not know that. I was always under the impression that OKC could offer more $.

OKC can give him a 5 year vs 4 Years from us. The article was saying George may take a 1+1 but we can give him the same amount if he does a 1+1 so it wouldn’t make sense to do that with OKC

The difference is that if the second year comes into play OKC can pay him a little under a million more.

Pennies to him.....and he will make more than that here with outside basketball revenue.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

And why the heck would PG burn his bridges with OKC at this point anyway? What happens if the Lakers swing a Kawhi deal in the next 2 weeks and in doing so there isn't quite enough money left for him in addition to Lebron? The Lakers FO will choose Lebron over him and then PG is left with re-signing with OKC for whatever term or a different team altogether. If he makes it known publicly right now that the Lakers are his choice and circumstances prevent it from happening, then he's stuck in a sub-optimal situation. The right play is to let speculation occur. And if he truly does want to stay in OKC, he has zero to lose by just saying OKC is the place for him. But he hasn't. He's stayed silent. He can't really do anything until he gets an official formal offer from a team like the Lakers. You can't accept a job if the job hasn't been offered in a letter yet.

Last edited by FanOfFour on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Godbe wrote:

That pretty much sums it up.

Yeah, it’s quite obvious. Oddsmakers had PG coming to LA as huge favorites. Everyone knew. Have to avoid tampering in all ways possible.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Since we're all going with speculation these days, this morning in response to recent reports that OKC is in the hunt, Chris Broussard confirmed that those close to Paul George continue to say that he will be a Laker. Cowherd agreed. See the 3:45 mark -

And, btw, the thing which should give everyone the most confidence here that PG13 is coming is Lebron. You don't get Lebron without another star, and Kawhi via trade is much less likely than George via an outright free agency signing. Consequently, if you are confident that Lebron is coming, you should also be supremely confident that PG13 is coming too.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
Found this on reddit. Apparently it's from Marc Stein's newsletter that came out today

Quote:
Paul George: One and Done or One Plus One?Since last week’s newsletter itemabout the Thunder’s better-than-expected chances of retaining the All-Star forward Paul George in free agency, I’ve heard even more support around the league for the idea that Oklahoma City can really convince George to stay.No deal is done until it’s done, as they say, so there will be no tangible relief in O.K.C. until George officially spurns his hometown Los Angeles Lakers this summer to stay put alongside Russell Westbrook. Kevin Durant’s departure in 2016 is still too fresh — as is George’s well-chronicled interest to play in L.A. — for any premature celebrations.

But it has reached the point that potential contract scenarios are starting to circulate. More than one rival team has suggested to me that they expect George to strongly consider a two-year deal with the Thunder at $30.3 million next season and $32.7 million in 2019-20 that includes a player option to return to free agency next summer.

A full five-year deal with the Thunder would be worth a guaranteed $176 million, as my trusted Twitter salary cap consultant @AlbertNahmad reminds me, but the short-term option does come with several potential benefits. By signing what’s known as a “one-plus-one deal,” George would be giving himself more time to see how he likes Oklahoma City (and how the Thunder upgrade the roster) before making a longer commitment — while also locking in more than $60 million guaranteed as protection against another serious injury.

That shadow... George will forever be in Durant’s shadow in OKC.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Other FOs are scared of what the Lakers can do so they're just floating out ideas to keep George in OKC. Wouldn't be surprised if "league sources are highly confident the Thunder will resolve the Anthony by being creative with his contract resolution" and it's just plagiarizing the Pincus extend-and-stretch idea.

BY THE WAY, I'd love to see Kevin Love make his way to OKC somehow. Not as a Laker fan or anything, just as a UCLA & basketball fan in general, to see how they'd play off each other in the pros. Maybe Melo & a future pick to CLE, with Melo waiving the NTC so he can take a buyout from the Cavs and then go wherever he wants. I don't know. Find some way to make it happen, Presti.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Lakers fans still hating on Broussard or what? Sauces.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“If he decides he wants to come to the Lakers, then he can sign there because that’s where he has always wanted to go. He wanted to play for his hometown team.”

- @BA_Turner on Paul George

https://twitter.com/ESPNLosAngeles/status/1009236030598230017
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
tnell wrote:

Quote:

That shadow... George will forever be in Durant’s shadow in OKC.

Yeah, there's no shadows of former greats to play under on the Lakers...
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to get the impression Stein hates the Lakers from his Kawhi tweets to Paul George tweets.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
“If he decides he wants to come to the Lakers, then he can sign there because that’s where he has always wanted to go. He wanted to play for his hometown team.”

- @BA_Turner on Paul George

https://twitter.com/ESPNLosAngeles/status/1009236030598230017

Some of these guys tweet just to tweet. If he wants to.. lol.. ofcourse, he is going to go where he wants to.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Lakers fans still hating on Broussard or what? Sauces.

I have always liked Broussard. /s
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Bring on the sauce bomb!
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Broussard Sauce
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Other FOs are scared of what the Lakers can do so they're just floating out ideas to keep George in OKC. Wouldn't be surprised if "league sources are highly confident the Thunder will resolve the Anthony by being creative with his contract resolution" and it's just plagiarizing the Pincus extend-and-stretch idea.

BY THE WAY, I'd love to see Kevin Love make his way to OKC somehow. Not as a Laker fan or anything, just as a UCLA & basketball fan in general, to see how they'd play off each other in the pros. Maybe Melo & a future pick to CLE, with Melo waiving the NTC so he can take a buyout from the Cavs and then go wherever he wants. I don't know. Find some way to make it happen, Presti.

It wouldn't at all surprise me if owners are colluding to block the Lakers from rising. Just look at how many owners/GM's we caused to go into complete meltdowns: Dan Gilbert, Mark Cuban, Michael Jordan, Greg Popavic, Kevin Pritchard. The good thing is they have no control over free agents.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:

It wouldn't at all surprise me if owners are colluding to block the Lakers from rising. Just look at how many owners/GM's we caused to go into complete meltdowns: Dan Gilbert, Mark Cuban, Michael Jordan, Greg Popavic, Kevin Pritchard. The good thing is they have no control over free agents.

For sure other owners are against the rise of the Purp n Gold...Bringing back bad CP3 "basketball reasons" memories.

If the players, agents, and families are planning to join forces behind the scenes - is there anything they can do about it now?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
And why the heck would PG burn his bridges with OKC at this point anyway? What happens if the Lakers swing a Kawhi deal in the next 2 weeks and in doing so there isn't quite enough money left for him in addition to Lebron? The Lakers FO will choose Lebron over him and then PG is left with re-signing with OKC for whatever term or a different team altogether. If he makes it known publicly right now that the Lakers are his choice and circumstances prevent it from happening, then he's stuck in a sub-optimal situation. The right play is to let speculation occur. And if he truly does want to stay in OKC, he has zero to lose by just saying OKC is the place for him. But he hasn't. He's stayed silent. He can't really do anything until he gets an official formal offer from a team like the Lakers. You can't accept a job if the job hasn't been offered in a letter yet.
Interesting take. Smart for him to keep the Laker talk down until this unfolds.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:

For sure other owners are against the rise of the Purp n Gold...Bringing back bad CP3 "basketball reasons" memories.

If the players, agents, and families are planning to join forces behind the scenes - is there anything they can do about it now?

There is nothing they can do about free agents signing with us. But owners are probably discussing how to keep their own free agents and prevent the Lakers from poaching them. Fortunately there is nothing that can prevent us from signing an unrestricted free agent, other than a tampering charge.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Since we're all going with speculation these days, this morning in response to recent reports that OKC is in the hunt, Chris Broussard confirmed that those close to Paul George continue to say that he will be a Laker. Cowherd agreed. See the 3:45 mark -

And, btw, the thing which should give everyone the most confidence here that PG13 is coming is Lebron. You don't get Lebron without another star, and Kawhi via trade is much less likely than George via an outright free agency signing. Consequently, if you are confident that Lebron is coming, you should also be supremely confident that PG13 is coming too.

The fact that Broussard is hearing that PG is still coming to LA just singlehandedly destroyed my confidence. Whenever something is true, Broussard reports the exact opposite

On a serious note, good stuff here. Broussard doesn't move the needle for me either way, but I know a lot of fans have become nervous over all of these recent reports of OKC’s confidence that he's staying, so perhaps hearing this will ease their minds a little bit. Personally, I still think he's coming. And I agree with others who say that this is most likely a conjoined effort by the Lakers and PG’s camp to avoid any appearance of tampering. Let's not forget that Pelinka used to be an agent. As Trudell put it, he knows how to play chess. He's probably the mastermind behind all of this.

Leaving OKC just makes way too much sense for PG, even if he ended up going somewhere else besides LA. I don't think Philly really has a seat at the table, but even that's a much more attractive spot than OKC is right now and in the near future. This guy has wanted to come back home and be a Laker for years now. It's just not believable that he would throw it away now that he finally has the opportunity to do it, let alone because he'd rather be in jacked up OKC after that underwhelming season. If his parents and his girl want LA, we're really supposed to believe that his bromance with Westbrook is what will win out in the end? Even Nash left Dirk in his dust in Dallas. And they were practically married.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 833, 834, 835 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 834 of 1028
Jump to: