PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 831, 832, 833 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
I wonder if we have it wrong. We're thinking these guys want to team up in Los Angeles to form a superteam, what if instead they're all wanting for Kobe's vacant throne and have little interest in sharing the spotlight? LeBron wants Kobe's spot. Kawhi wants Kobe's spot. George wants Kobe's spot.

George knows he wont ever be the savior if LeBron signs at the same time he does. He wouldn't mind playing on the same team as LeBron if it were framed that he himself, already established in LA, recruited LeBron to join his team, which would have required we traded for him last season. So with reports of LeBron's imminent signing, he's losing interest, because his original motivation for signing here will be lost and unattainable, especially as he's relegated to LeBron's uncredited/blamed teammate. The one that gets none of the credit and all of the blame.

Kawhi sees that LeBron signing here is imminent, and as he's confident in his abilities to outplay LeBron and generally be a top 3 player in the NBA, he doesn't share the same concerns as George. Whether he's traded here or signs here as a free agent next season, he's confident he can take the throne. He's that good. But he'd rather get here before anyone else.

LeBron knows he can seat right into Kobe's throne regardless of what anyone else does. He's not worried about what other players are doing, he's just getting all of his affairs in order before the move.

This isn't the Avengers assembling, this is a Game of Thrones.

With Paul George, I don't think he's seeking Kobe's throne. If anything, I think Kobe's throne is an impediment to PG-13 arriving.

If there was no Lebron, I don't think PG would want the pressure of being the leader on the Lakers. Lebron's desire to fill that vacant spot absolves PG-13 of all the pressure while still allowing PG to enjoy all the bounties of playing on the Lakers.

Kawhii to me is independent of either of the two. I think Kawhii wants to come to the Lakers either with Lebron/PG-13 or with both of them there. He seems more that he wants a return to southern california and an escape from SA.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

And I don't buy the family angle that PG would sign with the Lakers because his family would prefer it. They would also want him to be happy. And that could mean OKC.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

You don't go on a free agent tour out of due dilligence. If PG is decided to stay in OKC, there'd be more clear signs by now.

Of course he may end up not liking any of suitors and stay in OKC, but it's clearly not the case right now.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
I don't buy this idea that these players still don't know where they're going. IMO they've known where they are going for months now.

I agree. One of my friends is close with Devin Booker and he said hes known for a while now that on July 1st, hes signing a max extension with the Suns. Doubt these players that have a choice of whether to sign a contract or not really wait until last second.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
And I don't buy the family angle that PG would sign with the Lakers because his family would prefer it. They would also want him to be happy. And that could mean OKC.

How can you even know how much weight that has?

What if his GF wants to live in LA badly? Or that his family wants him here and PG is very tight with them?

I just don't see how OKC checks off any boxes that the Lakers can't surpass or match.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I doubt LBJ signs by himself though

I think he would, winning a title isn’t his primary focus.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
frankly I wouldn't even blame LBJ at that point

if he's the only max guy to sign with us, we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs; he might as well stay in CLE in the least at that point

You're aware that by all reports much of his decision is based on family and business ventures in so cal? Sure he has the family and stability in Cle, but not the business opportunities plus he has nothing else to prove there. He wants pure basketball opportunity he goes to Houston, Philly or Boston.

As I've outlined above, that Laker team is still damn good without George. Certainly better than Cle.

He got a prime time TV show on NBC from Cleveland, that was one hell of a business opportunity he took advantage of. Again, while in Cleveland, not LA.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
32 wrote:

What if his GF wants to live in LA badly? Or that his family wants him here and PG is very tight with them?

I just don't see how OKC checks off any boxes that the Lakers can't surpass or match.

To me, it's a clear two way race between LA & OKC.

OKC can offer one more year slightly higher raises, but I think that's a moot point because he would opt out of the final year of the deal anyways.

My concern is that I think his relationship with Westbrook & his fear of burning the bridge with 2 different franchises might come into play. He'd get a fair share of backlash.

That said, I hope this is where Magic Johnson & Rob Pelinka come in. If Magic can sell PG-13 that his best opportunity to win a championship and enhance his brand is in LA playing for him than I hope the emotional pull of that pitch will be so strong it overcomes the fear.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
My concern is that I think his relationship with Westbrook & his fear of burning the bridge with 2 different franchises might come into play. He'd get a fair share of backlash.

But who knows? We can't say that his familial relationship/living in LA is more important than a 6 month friendship he struck with WB.

I doubt he's worried about burning bridges b/c he purposefully wanted out of Indy, and he was traded to OKC where he spent less than a full calendar year there. He hasn't set roots down there.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

But who knows? We can't say that his familial relationship/living in LA is more important than a 6 month friendship he struck with WB.

I doubt he's worried about burning bridges b/c he purposefully wanted out of Indy, and he was traded to OKC where he spent less than a full calendar year there. He hasn't set roots down there.

I hope so. But with reports coming out that he's liked OKC and that he does see it as a place where he could stay. I'm wary that it's all a smokescreen. I really do think he's highly considering staying in OKC.

However, this is why we brought in Magic right? A closer a la a Pat Riley to assuage PG-13 into embracing his LA roots/destiny. I don't think PG-13 realizes how happy he could be on the Lakers.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
32 wrote:

To me, it's a clear two way race between LA & OKC.

OKC can offer one more year slightly higher raises, but I think that's a moot point because he would opt out of the final year of the deal anyways.

That said, I hope this is where Magic Johnson & Rob Pelinka come in. If Magic can sell PG-13 that his best opportunity to win a championship and enhance his brand is in LA playing for him than I hope the emotional pull of that pitch will be so strong it overcomes the fear.

Not a critique against anyone but it is funny when $1.2 mil is referred to as slightly higher.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
I don't buy this idea that these players still don't know where they're going. IMO they've known where they are going for months now.

"On the Next episode of as the league turns"

Oh, PG is so torn between going home and his friendship with Westbrook. Does his bond with Westbrook mean more to him that the pull of playing at home, and what his family wants?

Is Lebron gonna go to Hollywood and try to form a "super team" with the Lakers, under Magic Johnson's leadership, Join one of his best friends in Houston or stay home in Cleveland. Which one will he choose?

Is Kawhi gonna be able to force his way to La? Will the Spurs do business with LA? Does Kawhi want to actually play with Lebron? If he comes, does that eliminate PG?

Man, the media has turned this into a soap opera and we all have bought in. Changing the narrative every day with a new twist and we eat it up. If you really believe that these players are undecided about what they are gonna do, you are a gullible person. These are people, real life people . These are real life decisions that these men are making and if you don't believe that these discussions with their families have been taken place all year and that they are just waiting for July to be so called recruited like a college kid......... think like an adult.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Not a critique against anyone but it is funny when $1.2 mil is referred to as slightly higher.

Crazy that is less than 4% of PG13's annual salary.

Even crazier to think of. NBA owners and other billionaires around the country would consider suicide if they only made PG13 salary next year (30 mill).

At least those poor .1%ers got a big tax break recently.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I hope so. But with reports coming out that he's liked OKC and that he does see it as a place where he could stay. I'm wary that it's all a smokescreen. I really do think he's highly considering staying in OKC.

However, this is why we brought in Magic right? A closer a la a Pat Riley to assuage PG-13 into embracing his LA roots/destiny. I don't think PG-13 realizes how happy he could be on the Lakers.

I actually think it's a smokescreen to prevent tampering charges against the Lakers. Have heard from enough sources to believe that PG13/Lakers are close to a done deal.
USCnLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Chris Broussard saying on Cowherd show that his sources know it’s still Lakers. This was from today.

Edit: Skip to 2:33 of the video for Broussard saying he’s a Laker.

Last edited by USCnLakers on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
USCnLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ahaider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I actually think it's a smokescreen to prevent tampering charges against the Lakers. Have heard from enough sources to believe that PG13/Lakers are close to a done deal.

Yah I agree. Good post. Chris Broussard dropped insider info regarding him this morning.
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Listening to Mason and Ireland.

Mason still super confident that PG is coming, Ireland not as much. He's having some doubts.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

He's saving face by being sentimental and complimentary to OKC and Westbrook. This is all paving the way for the, "It's not you - It's me" convo that's bound to occur after he signs with the Lakeshow.

Of all the rumors surrounding this offseason, I would be most surprised if PG13 doesn't sign with us.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Paul George would not get much "backlash" from Thunder fans. And if he did, so what?
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Paul George would not get much "backlash" from Thunder fans. And if he did, so what?

This is what worries a bit. He had no issues leaving the Pacers, but he is making a struggle with OKC when he wouldn't even face that any backlash to leave.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The whole PG13 is staying thing is a smokescreen imo

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
george w kush wrote:

I agree. One of my friends is close with Devin Booker and he said hes known for a while now that on July 1st, hes signing a max extension with the Suns. Doubt these players that have a choice of whether to sign a contract or not really wait until last second.

THIS!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^Lebron knew over a year earlier he was going to Miami. He knew over a year earlier he was going back to Cleveland. The players are well aware of who has cap space and who doesn't. They aren't making some career/life altering decision about where to work and live in a matter of a week.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

This is what worries a bit. He had no issues leaving the Pacers, but he is making a struggle with OKC when he wouldn't even face that any backlash to leave.

You do realize that a week or two b/f being traded from the Pacers to OKC, he was at a softball game in Indy proclaiming how he'd like to bring a championship to the Pacers.

He's a people pleaser.

But when it comes to July 1, I believe he will finally come home to the Lakers.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Interesting take! Who better to please than his family. He is the perfect fit for this team. I do not want to sound redundant, but his lack of ego and his ability without dominating the ball are exactly what this team needs. That being said, I hope the FO does not wait on him (or anyone else for that matter).
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

That's because he didn't leave Indiana or is considering moving on from OKC for fear of what fans will think. He did so for basketball and lifestyle reasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 831, 832, 833 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 832 of 1028
Jump to: