Frustrated fan: John McEnroe says Knicks a "total train wreck"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Frustrated fan: John McEnroe says Knicks a "total train wreck"

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/24/frustrated-fan-john-mcenroe-says-knicks-a-total-train-wreck/

Quote:
Frustrated fan: John McEnroe says Knicks a ‘total train wreck’

NEW YORK (AP) — John McEnroe had a ringside seat for the ugliest bout at Madison Square Garden last season.

He was sitting just feet away when former Knicks star Charles Oakley was surrounded by security officials at his seat, shoving them away before being handcuffed and arrested while watching a game in February.

Even before that, the tennis great had begun to lose patience with his favorite team.

“It’s like a total train wreck,” McEnroe said.

The low point during a miserable 2016-17 season came when Oakley was dragged out of MSG in the first quarter of a game against the Los Angeles Clippers. A fan favorite as a player, he had fallen out of favor with the organization in retirement after critical comments about the team and MSG chairman James Dolan.

McEnroe, who often travels for his tennis or other obligations, wasn’t aware of the history between Oakley and Dolan.

“I didn’t even realize at the time that Charles had said bad things about him,” McEnroe said. “I hadn’t been up on that, so it wasn’t awkward for me when he sort of poked me in my back, Charles, right before the incident happened. I was like, `Hey Charles, how are you? This is my son, Kevin.’ He was with me.

“So I didn’t put 2 and 2 together and I didn’t know what had happened or really what had transpired,” he said. “So maybe Jim was already uncomfortable because of past history or whatever and then when Charles and the security guys started to go at it, even before they started to come up to him I was like, `Uh oh, this is not going to go well, at all.”‘

McEnroe is clearly visible in replays of the skirmish that were shown that night and throughout the next day.

“To see Charles Oakley have handcuffs put on him was horrible. Like, I was sick to my stomach, as well as almost every other fan that was in there watching this as it took place,” McEnroe said. “I bet you Jim Dolan – this is just my opinion – had to feel terrible about what that was.”

McEnroe grew up in and still lives in New York, and considers MSG his home arena. The inside cover of his new book, “But Seriously,” is decorated with ticket stubs from games and concerts at the arena, including a Knicks playoff game. But like many Knicks fans, he’s getting fed up with what he sees.

“I mean I’ve been a Knicks fan since I was a kid, so this is just getting beyond belief,” he said.

McEnroe has owned a home in Malibu, California, for more than 30 years. He often trained in Los Angeles as one of the world’s top players during the early-to-mid 1980s, befriending Lakers executive Jeanie Buss and Linda Rambis, whose husband Kurt played for the great Lakers teams of that era that were led by Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

“Watching this was like, I’m sitting there going, why the hell am I a Knick fan again?” McEnroe said, “because this is just absolutely unbelievable, watching Showtime.”

Dolan hired Phil Jackson, who won five titles as Lakers coach, as Knicks president in 2014. But the team has missed the playoffs every season under Jackson, who feuded with Carmelo Anthony last season and didn’t speak to reporters at all while the team went 31-51.

“I mean, he’s known as the Zen Master, like a master talker, and then he’s not talking to anybody,” McEnroe said of Jackson. “So this whole thing seems to have gone completely off the rails.”

Jackson is still hoping to trade Anthony, who has a no-trade clause. McEnroe said he was never the biggest fan of Anthony’s game, but that the All-Star forward didn’t deserve the treatment he received last season.

“It’s crazy to treat a guy that way,” McEnroe said. “It seems like, even if it would be better for both guys if they weren’t there – the Knicks and him – the whole thing just seems, I can’t believe how bungled this has gotten.”
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

You cannot be serious
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

The highlight of the Knicks franchise since the 70's is being MJ's personal plaything in the 90's.

!...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
The highlight of the Knicks franchise since the 70's is being MJ's personal plaything in the 90's.

Nah being the side story of OJ's infamous car chase in 1994 tops that.

It was during the NBA Finals between the Rockets/Knicks.

I believe the Knicks had momentum in that series until that car chase happened. At least that's what the 30 for 30 on June 17, 1994 claimed.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

I believe the Knicks had momentum in that series until that car chase happened. At least that's what the 30 for 30 on June 17, 1994 claimed.

Chase had zero effect on the series. All I remember was being ticked off because they left the game completely to show the chase and only came back to split screen when the game was over. Anyways back then it was 2-3-2 series instead of the 2-2-1-1-1 we have now. Usually teams down 3-2 going home had no problems winning the next 2 games at home.
NYZo2LA
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm not surprised I was a knick fan since 96 and this year I decided that enough was enough and could no longer support or spend money supporting Dolans circus. Im glad I was able to take fandom to the Los Angels Lakers a competent franchise that offers promise excitement and best of all a chance to win! Looking forward to a fun year of basketball with Lonzo at the point!
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Earl Monroe isn't walking through that door.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Knicks have been a trainwreck for the past decade and a half......
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Chase had zero effect on the series. All I remember was being ticked off because they left the game completely to show the chase and only came back to split screen when the game was over. Anyways back then it was 2-3-2 series instead of the 2-2-1-1-1 we have now. Usually teams down 3-2 going home had no problems winning the next 2 games at home.

I think John Starks bricklaying a gazillion shots had more of an effect than the car chase.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: