What is Your Bottom Line Offer for Paul George?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the Most You Would Give up for Paul George?
Russell or Ingram or #2 Pick Alone
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Russell or Ingram or #2 Pick + Deng or Mozgov
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Randle + Clarkson + #28 Pick + Deng or Mozgov
15%
 15%  [ 13 ]
Randle + Clarkson + #28 Pick
12%
 12%  [ 10 ]
Clarkson + #28 Pick + 2020 1st Round Pick
33%
 33%  [ 28 ]
Nothing - Wait for 2018 Free Agency Instead
33%
 33%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 83

Author Message
cital
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 May 2002
Posts: 2763

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I went with these options because these are the players the Lakers have that represent any value the Pacers might be interested in. They will have no interest in Black or Brewer, let alone Deng or Mozgov. We could hopefully get their 2nd rounder to try and find some extra help (we have had pretty good success with that over the years)...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 7962

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

neither...no vote
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11711

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject:

Clarkson, 28, 2020 first round pick. I may budge on Randle if it comes to that, but I'm reticent to do so. George has killed the Pacers leverage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LA3Pete
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 977
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:

Why isn't the following one of the options?:

Russell + Randle + Deng + Mozgov

Give them something they can sell to their fans (2 young up and comers) for taking on BOTH our albatross contracts.

I believe it works financially if you take back Ellis and Jefferson (shorter contracts and less money than Moz/Deng). I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding the CBA?

Anyway this would seem to be right in the middle of the "don't give them anything" and the "need to give value to get value" crowd. Also, it still retains #2, Clarkson, #28 and future firsts for other moves/roster improvement. To be clear I like Russell a lot, just valuing the opportunity to dump Moz/Deng in one swoop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11711

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

LA3Pete wrote:
Why isn't the following one of the options?:

Russell + Randle + Deng + Mozgov

Give them something they can sell to their fans (2 young up and comers) for taking on BOTH our albatross contracts.

I believe it works financially if you take back Ellis and Jefferson (shorter contracts and less money than Moz/Deng). I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding the CBA?

Anyway this would seem to be right in the middle of the "don't give them anything" and the "need to give value to get value" crowd. Also, it still retains #2, Clarkson, #28 and future firsts for other moves/roster improvement. To be clear I like Russell a lot, just valuing the opportunity to dump Moz/Deng in one swoop.


Because we have no incentive to give up two of our young assets for a guy saying he's willing to come here for free anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 28361

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
LA3Pete wrote:
Why isn't the following one of the options?:

Russell + Randle + Deng + Mozgov

Give them something they can sell to their fans (2 young up and comers) for taking on BOTH our albatross contracts.

I believe it works financially if you take back Ellis and Jefferson (shorter contracts and less money than Moz/Deng). I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding the CBA?

Anyway this would seem to be right in the middle of the "don't give them anything" and the "need to give value to get value" crowd. Also, it still retains #2, Clarkson, #28 and future firsts for other moves/roster improvement. To be clear I like Russell a lot, just valuing the opportunity to dump Moz/Deng in one swoop.


Because we have no incentive to give up two of our young assets for a guy saying he's willing to come here for free anyway.


Unless it's to open up more cap space for an additional FA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LA3Pete
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 977
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

"Unless it's to open up more cap space for an additional FA".

It does, by a lot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11711

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
KBH wrote:
LA3Pete wrote:
Why isn't the following one of the options?:

Russell + Randle + Deng + Mozgov

Give them something they can sell to their fans (2 young up and comers) for taking on BOTH our albatross contracts.

I believe it works financially if you take back Ellis and Jefferson (shorter contracts and less money than Moz/Deng). I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding the CBA?

Anyway this would seem to be right in the middle of the "don't give them anything" and the "need to give value to get value" crowd. Also, it still retains #2, Clarkson, #28 and future firsts for other moves/roster improvement. To be clear I like Russell a lot, just valuing the opportunity to dump Moz/Deng in one swoop.


Because we have no incentive to give up two of our young assets for a guy saying he's willing to come here for free anyway.


Unless it's to open up more cap space for an additional FA.


Then we could pair one (or both) of them in another deal to clear that cap space in a separate deal if such a situation arises.


Last edited by KBH on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LA3Pete
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 977
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
KBH wrote:
LA3Pete wrote:
Why isn't the following one of the options?:

Russell + Randle + Deng + Mozgov

Give them something they can sell to their fans (2 young up and comers) for taking on BOTH our albatross contracts.

I believe it works financially if you take back Ellis and Jefferson (shorter contracts and less money than Moz/Deng). I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding the CBA?

Anyway this would seem to be right in the middle of the "don't give them anything" and the "need to give value to get value" crowd. Also, it still retains #2, Clarkson, #28 and future firsts for other moves/roster improvement. To be clear I like Russell a lot, just valuing the opportunity to dump Moz/Deng in one swoop.


Because we have no incentive to give up two of our young assets for a guy saying he's willing to come here for free anyway.


Unless it's to open up more cap space for an additional FA.


Then we could pair one (or both) of them in another deal to clear that cap space in a separate deal if such a deal arises.



That's the rub though. What future magical (no pun intended) scenario is going to arise that allows us to keep all our picks and dump one or both of these contracts. I feel like this is the unique circumstance that makes it possible to dump both.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 11711

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

LA3Pete wrote:
KBH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
KBH wrote:
LA3Pete wrote:
Why isn't the following one of the options?:

Russell + Randle + Deng + Mozgov

Give them something they can sell to their fans (2 young up and comers) for taking on BOTH our albatross contracts.

I believe it works financially if you take back Ellis and Jefferson (shorter contracts and less money than Moz/Deng). I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding the CBA?

Anyway this would seem to be right in the middle of the "don't give them anything" and the "need to give value to get value" crowd. Also, it still retains #2, Clarkson, #28 and future firsts for other moves/roster improvement. To be clear I like Russell a lot, just valuing the opportunity to dump Moz/Deng in one swoop.


Because we have no incentive to give up two of our young assets for a guy saying he's willing to come here for free anyway.


Unless it's to open up more cap space for an additional FA.


Then we could pair one (or both) of them in another deal to clear that cap space in a separate deal if such a deal arises.



That's the rub though. What future magical (no pun intended) scenario is going to arise that allows us to keep all our picks and dump one or both of these contracts. I feel like this is the unique circumstance that makes it possible to dump both.


A scenario where an actual FA is expressing interest in signing with the Lakers if there's room to fit him on the roster. Then you do your legwork and find a trade partner willing to take one of the young players along with Deng or Moz. It can be done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 28361

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
LA3Pete wrote:


That's the rub though. What future magical (no pun intended) scenario is going to arise that allows us to keep all our picks and dump one or both of these contracts. I feel like this is the unique circumstance that makes it possible to dump both.


A scenario where an actual FA is expressing interest in signing with the Lakers if there's room to fit him on the roster. Then you do your legwork and find a trade partner willing to take one of the young players along with Deng or Moz. It can be done.


Well, we could lose our leverage then, if teams know we're trying to pair George with a FA and we must dump a salary or two. At least with Indy, we have some leverage, but also need to dump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 28361

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

I think the FO believes that Ingram and Ball are going to be our young future core and Russell and Randle are expendable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 236

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't trade for him period, he's already dug his heels in by making a public comment like whether he gets traded or not he's going to be a laker when he's a free agent. It would be absolutely stupid to then give up assets to get him.
Sure things can change and he might change his mind and we miss out on him, but whatever, I'm all in and rebuilding our team with our young core and whether it's with George or somebody else, once these guys start to shine somebody is going to come join these guys as a free agent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 17512
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

PG13 is coming here for free in 1 year, and hinted at us not to give up assets for him in the meantime. Amazing how many people panic and want to shove real assets out the door, like number one picks or players who actually have value, just to get him right now.

Let him come here in 12 months. We'll be ready by then, and Moz/Deng will be much more tradeable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 28361

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
PG13 is coming here for free in 1 year, and hinted at us not to give up assets for him in the meantime. Amazing how many people panic and want to shove real assets out the door, like number one picks or players who actually have value, just to get him right now.

Let him come here in 12 months. We'll be ready by then, and Moz/Deng will be much more tradeable.


While I'm not opposed to not trading for George, even in a year, Moz and Deng will not be enticing to trade partners. Let's face it, we have to attach young assets in order to move them. They have 3 years left.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

Would go with Clarkson and 28 pick at the most.

And this is only if PG will sign a 4 year contract.

If he comes to the Lakers now for only a year, he will be
disgusted in a year. And want to play for a playoff team. That is
the way it is.

But if wait a year, things will change in Laker land.

DLO, Ingram, and Randle will have to show they can play. The honeymoon will be over. Especially Randle.
DLO is already showing form to be a big time scorer. Whatever you
do don't trade Ingram and DLO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Posts: 233

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

The past few years the Lakers have been striking out on bigtime free agents, and there’s been a sentiment, “if we could just get one star to take our money, another would follow.” George seems to want to be that star. However, regardless of what he’s saying now, if he were traded to Boston or Cleveland, made the conference finals, maybe won a title, is he going to leave an elite team that has his Bird rights? And if George re-signs with whomever he’s traded to, will the Lakers still be able to attract a max player, let alone two? Losing George could mean not only missing out on him, but the other star he’d recruit as well. I’m not saying trade BI/Dlo/#2, but I would trade Clarkson/Randle/#28/2020 #1. If the plan is two max players in 2018, and I hope it is, Clarkson will have to be traded and there’s a good chance Randle would be renounced. Sure it would be ideal to wait, see if you get someone to want to sign first, and use some of Clarkson/Randle/#28/2020#1 to trade Deng/Mozgov, but while it’s a gamble to make the deal now, it’s also a gamble to wait. As long as you keep your top three assets, I think it’s worth it to make the trade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Big Game Jeff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

I'd be ok with Randle OR Russell + #28, but would prefer we just wait til Paul is a FA next year...
_________________
LAKERS RAIDERS KINGS DODGERS AZTECS MIDSHIPMEN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 593
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

LA3Pete wrote:
Why isn't the following one of the options?:

Russell + Randle + Deng + Mozgov

Give them something they can sell to their fans (2 young up and comers) for taking on BOTH our albatross contracts.

I believe it works financially if you take back Ellis and Jefferson (shorter contracts and less money than Moz/Deng). I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding the CBA?

Anyway this would seem to be right in the middle of the "don't give them anything" and the "need to give value to get value" crowd. Also, it still retains #2, Clarkson, #28 and future firsts for other moves/roster improvement. To be clear I like Russell a lot, just valuing the opportunity to dump Moz/Deng in one swoop.
I'm a fan of Russell and would want to keep him but I agree with getting rid of the terrible contracts. I would want to do something along these lines:

Clarkson + Randle + Mozgov (+ maybe throw in 28th pick) for Paul George + Al Jefferson

Lakers clear up significant 2018 salary cap space with this trade as Al Jefferson's contract is not guaranteed in 2018.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zo2u436

They can then use stretch provision on Deng and clear up between $40-$45 million in 2018 cap space to sign players to join PG13.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB