DLO/Mozgov Traded to Nets for #27 Pick & Brook Lopez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Here is another insight as to why the Lakers needed to act fast, if they want more cap space next year.

Players with expiring contract this season 2017

Player option (Doubt we could flip Moz/DLo with this players)

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

B Lopez 22M - Best trade with a Russian owner willing to get Moz
D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
G Monroe 17M - Possible, but will Bucks want Moz. I rather have Lopez
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
R Rondo 13M - Doubtful Bulls wants Moz
A Affalo 12M - too low a salary and need to take on salary
N Pekovic 11M - too low a salary and need to take on salary
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

So for those people who is against this trade, please feel free to offer a suggestion as to how we can get rid of Moz salary and also get us cap space next year. We are so pissed we let Dlo go, but he has not establish himself yet in the NBA as a player that will be a future Allstar. If the FO does not act fast, u think LG will be complaining again if another team got Lopez expiring and have the cap space instead next year. I dont get the criticism of the FO being incompetent.

Who said we need to do it this year?
There are teams which can just absorb bad contracts without giving any player to us.

Easier said than done. Even if you said other team can absorb contract next. A player like Moz who have a 7pts/5reb 16M/3more yrs is not easily moved without some compensation. We got a very good player in return. I like to give the FO some credit for finding a willing partner.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

You could have traded Jordan into space or for an expiring. Probably would have gotten some modest asset back too. That gives you the space for George next year. The counter argument is that if you want two max slots you have to move one of Moz or Deng and one of Jordan or Randle. That's difficult to do.

But the premise that you needed to move Russell now because you needed at least the legitimate threat of two slots is very shaky. What we've learned over the last few years is that good teams develop from within and add pieces when they hit a stage in that development which we aren't at yet. And the guy closest to being at that stage was Russell. He's a better player next year than Lonzo.

The only thing that makes the Russell deal make any sense is if they needed the threat of having the space to be real now to leverage George for a high discount. Then you say we lost the battle but won the war. But if you don't end up with George at a bargain rate you end up losing the trade and selling the idea that cap room will save you (it doesn't)
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
You could have traded Jordan into space or for an expiring. Probably would have gotten some modest asset back too. That gives you the space for George next year. The counter argument is that if you want two max slots you have to move one of Moz or Deng and one of Jordan or Randle. That's difficult to do.

But the premise that you needed to move Russell now because you needed at least the legitimate threat of two slots is very shaky. What we've learned over the last few years is that good teams develop from within and add pieces when they hit a stage in that development which we aren't at yet. And the guy closest to being at that stage was Russell. He's a better player next year than Lonzo.

The only thing that makes the Russell deal make any sense is if they needed the threat of having the space to be real now to leverage George for a high discount. Then you say we lost the battle but won the war. But if you don't end up with George at a bargain rate you end up losing the trade and selling the idea that cap room will save you (it doesn't)

We just beat Atlanta on getting Brook's expiring contract. How would the Nets have matched later for Moz in a way that was that favorable?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I remember when Memphis made a similar case as to why they move Pau when they did. They were afraid Mitch was moving Kwame to Detroit. Had to strike while they had the chance.

Anyway, you dont need Brooklyn to move Jordan which makes the George space threat real. If you need the room for two threat, that was possible by moving Jordan, renouncing Randle and waiving Mozdeng. It's a nuclear approach but its about the threat, not actually doing it.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
Maybe David Stern returned from the grave to veto it.
That would be awesome.
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

This trade continues to make me both sad and mad
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
This trade continues to make me both sad and mad

Eh, its sad to see but those two contracts just drag the team into the lotto each year.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

We will agree to disagree, because you value Dlo high. I would too if Dlo showed sign of being a player like Booker. If Magic traded Clarkson instead of Dlo, a lot of people may think great trade. But Magic said that they will evaluated players commitment to exellence, and hinted about asking Kobe's input about the current players. I would assume from talking to Luke, Kobe maybe Byron or other coaches along with there own evaluation, they might value Clarkson higher than Dlo. Making Dlo expendable. They maybe wrong, but only time will tell. Reading this thread and seeing LG bash the current FO so early in there tenure is crazy to me. They started in the hole with the Moz/Deng they are just getting themselves out. Reason the old FO sign Moz/Deng is no one wants to be here, this current FO already change that IMO.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Here is another insight as to why the Lakers needed to act fast, if they want more cap space next year.

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

So for those people who is against this trade, please feel free to offer a suggestion as to how we can get rid of Moz salary and also get us cap space next year. We are so pissed we let Dlo go, but he has not establish himself yet in the NBA as a player that will be a future Allstar. If the FO does not act fast, u think LG will be complaining again if another team got Lopez expiring and have the cap space instead next year. I dont get the criticism of the FO being incompetent.

There are teams which can just absorb bad contracts without giving any player to us.

Easier said than done. Even if you said other team can absorb contract next. A player like Moz who have a 7pts/5reb 16M/3more yrs is not easily moved without some compensation. We got a very good player in return. I like to give the FO some credit for finding a willing partner.

Few things to correct.

Firstly and the most important thing is if you do the trade next year, there will only be 2 years on his contract instead of 3.

Secondly, if you want to shop him, you can give him more playing time, and his stat will be better than that. This is just my opinion, but I think Moz is still a serviceable big in the league. Just not with that amount of contract.

And if Russell's trade value is not high, give him another year to play with Ball. I mean isn't Ball's main value is making his teammates better? Not mentioning, Moz might be benefited from playing along Ball too.

I have never said a team will absorb Moz without any compensation but at least you increase the trade value first.

Last edited by lakersfan8 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

I don't think this is true. If you wait and approach a team to absorb your salary then they have all the leverage and want even more.

I think Magic and Rob made the right decision plus Lopez is an excellent player and can contribute!

So how much Mavericks got to absorb Bogut's contract so Warriors can sign KD?
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
YSong wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

I don't think this is true. If you wait and approach a team to absorb your salary then they have all the leverage and want even more.

I think Magic and Rob made the right decision plus Lopez is an excellent player and can contribute!

Today I learned 1 year/$11 million is equal to 2 years/$32.7 million.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

Solution 1: Stretch Moz, eat the $5M cap hit
Solution 2: Trade them at the deadline for the same package (if available)
Solution 3: Trade Moz + Russell for cap space in 2018 offseason. If a team is under the cap enough (e.g. the Kings) they can just absorb the salary ($22M for Russell + Mozgov)
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

This trade kinda reminds me of the Ellis for Bogut swap.
Bogut was a former #1 pick, and Ellis was GSWs best player at the time.

We wont know how well the trade was for us until a couple of years.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
YSong wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

Please read the previous quote. This was not my point.

He was saying a team will have more leverage when they are absorbing contracts so I gave him an example that's not the case. I have never said both contracts are the same. I am just saying we might not need to offer more than what we have offered.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

Solution 3: Trade Moz + Russell for cap space in 2018 offseason. If a team is under the cap enough (e.g. the Kings) they can just absorb the salary ($22M for Russell + Mozgov)

its funny all these people trying to defend this move. Magic panicked. plain and simple. Now we're down a guard and Ball won't be ready for a while.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
YSong wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

Please read the previous quote. This was not my point.

He was saying a team will have more leverage when they are absorbing contracts so I gave him an example that's not the case. I have never said both contracts are the same. I am just saying we might not need to offer more than what we have offered.

The length and size of the contract dictates leverage, no? Not an equal comparison of the two situations. But it does demonstrate that unloading an old center to make room for a marquee free agent does work out.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
This trade kinda reminds me of the Ellis for Bogut swap.
Bogut was a former #1 pick, and Ellis was GSWs best player at the time.

We wont know how well the trade was for us until a couple of years.

That was Jerry West move . He thought Curry was the better player and him and Ellis is just not a winning brand of basketball. Ellis was balling too, he was averaging like 24, 6 and 4 and 2 steals to boot for the past couple of years. It takes guts and vision to pull that kinda trigger.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

Few things to correct.

Firstly and the most important thing is if you do the trade next year, there will only be 2 years on his contract instead of 3.

Secondly, if you want to shop him, you can give him more playing time, and his stat will be better than that. This is just my opinion, but I think Moz is still a serviceable big in the league. Just not with that amount of contract.

And if Russell's trade value is not high, give him another year to play with Ball. I mean isn't Ball's main value is making his teammates better? Not mentioning, Moz might be benefited from playing along Ball too.

I have never said a team will absorb Moz without any compensation but at least you increase the trade value first.

This yr or next yr at 16M for Moz is hard to move. I like to give Dlo more time, but he got his opportunity this season with a modern style offense and his value did not go up IMO. (His value is higher last year IMO) Giving Moz time, so we can increase his trade value is nuts. I like Zu getiing those time instead. Moz value is what it is and his contract is horrible. Dlo showed me no improvement and in my eyes is a tradable asset. So if you have an opportunity to trade Moz and get a very good player in Lopez who have a higher value for future trade and give u cap space u do it. Dlo might prove me wrong and I would have to eat (bleep), but FO eating (bleep) right now for what I believe gives us trade value and flexibility is not right.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
tox wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

its funny all these people trying to defend this move. Magic panicked. plain and simple. Now we're down a guard and Ball won't be ready for a while.

Yeah, it's a terrible deal. It saves us $6.5M in cap room (you could decline Russell's option so you can't really factor in his contract) for 2018. After that, the goal is to have 2 maxes so the dead money is irrelevant.

And with that $6.5M in dead money you could still fit in 2 maxes next to DLO/Ingram/Ball/Nance/Zu.

Such an atrocious deal, wow.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

If we didnt ship D'lo to Brooklyn

How would people feel about D'Lo and Moz to SAS for Aldridge now that he has desire to be traded ?
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
tox wrote:
DLaker wrote:

C Paul 24M
K Durant 28M
D Wade 24M
B Griffin 21M
G Hayward 16M

Players Expiring

D Cousin 16M - Doubtful
T Parker 15M - Doubtful
D Favor 12M - Doubtful

Yeah, it's a terrible deal. It saves us $6.5M in cap room (you could decline Russell's option so you can't really factor in his contract) for 2018. After that, the goal is to have 2 maxes so the dead money is irrelevant.

And with that $6.5M in dead money you could still fit in 2 maxes next to DLO/Ingram/Ball/Nance/Zu.

Such an atrocious deal, wow.

How much did Nick Young and Lou Williams sign for?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:

How would people feel about D'Lo and Moz to SAS for Aldridge now that he has desire to be traded ?

SAS wouldn't do that, they need cap space.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

SAS wouldn't do that, they need cap space.

Why in the world would we do that? PG13 and Alridge? Yuck. We want the cap space too.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Official
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

So long Dlo. Will always root for him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 75 of 100
Jump to: