D'Loading... Digesting the D'Angelo Trade as a Laker Fan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellolaw5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: D'Loading... Digesting the D'Angelo Trade as a Laker Fan

It’s hard to let go of a young player, especially one as special as D’Angelo Russell.

https://medium.com/@hellolaw5/dloading-digesting-the-d-angelo-trade-as-a-laker-fan-d44f6c4a051a
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Beside the homer Lakers fan, there is nothing special about Dlo.
hellolaw5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

business101 wrote:
Beside the homer Lakers fan, there is nothing special about Dlo.

To each their own
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't get how we can call a player special when that player has proven nothing. I would understand all this anger if he was an all star or helped us win a ring.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
I don't get how we can call a player special when that player has proven nothing. I would understand all this anger if he was an all star or helped us win a ring.

To me, it's simple. To some of us (like me), we grew up on Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Nixon, Wilkes, Cooper, Worthy, and Scott, all the way to the Kobe/prime Shaq era. A few saw all of these guys but were also fortunate (oldsters) enough to see Goodrich, West, Chamberlain, Baylor, etc. There was also that brief 90s period where we had an exciting squad of youngsters (Jones, Van Exel, Ceballos, Campbell, Divac) who seemed like the future, but were all mostly jettisoned to build a true winner. Ultimately, they were just a placeholder squad. This new generation of fans, these 23 yr olds, they're attached to the D-Los and Randles like we were attached to that placeholder squad of Jones/Van Exel/Ceballos. Better days are coming. We hope.
#32 is the greatest Laker ever.
Cigadrop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

The young teens are distraught over losing Dlo. They think because he had a 40 point game, he's something special. Guess what? Jodie Meeks scored 42 as a Laker in 2014. Let that sink in. Take the blinders off guys.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Cigadrop wrote:
The young teens are distraught over losing Dlo. They think because he had a 40 point game, he's something special. Guess what? Jodie Meeks scored 42 as a Laker in 2013. Let that sink in. Take the blinders off guys.

Nobody cried when we gave up on #2 pick Kendall Marshall....

Seriously Dlo was a cool prospect but nothing to get all sad and teary eyed about.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Loading... Digesting the D'Angelo Trade as a Laker Fan

hellolaw5 wrote:
It’s hard to let go of a young player, especially one as special as D’Angelo Russell.

https://medium.com/@hellolaw5/dloading-digesting-the-d-angelo-trade-as-a-laker-fan-d44f6c4a051a

Special you say, great player in that read yet we can't even get the 22th Brooklyn pick.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Cigadrop wrote:
The young teens are distraught over losing Dlo. They think because he had a 40 point game, he's something special. Guess what? Jodie Meeks scored 42 as a Laker in 2014. Let that sink in. Take the blinders off guys.

I remember being absolutely distraught when we traded away Eddie Jones+Elden Campbell for Glen Rice+JR Reid. To me it was trading away 2 very good young players for a borderline star who was beginning his decline(Rice) and a piece of garbage (Reid). In retrospect, it was addition by subtraction - it cleared more minutes for Kobe and it brought slightly more balance to the team (at the cost of depth)
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:
Cigadrop wrote:

I remember being absolutely distraught when we traded away Eddie Jones+Elden Campbell for Glen Rice+JR Reid. To me it was trading away 2 very good young players for a borderline star who was beginning his decline(Rice) and a piece of garbage (Reid). In retrospect, it was addition by subtraction - it cleared more minutes for Kobe and it brought slightly more balance to the team (at the cost of depth)

That's a great take. Unlike some of these other posters who simply don't get it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

I'm a fan for 30+ yrs. Don't want to really show my age now, but I'm kinda old. I've watched many Lakers home grown. I'm not pissed that we traded away an all-star because we didn't, that's not the point. We traded a way a prospect with a very high ceiling who had only completed 2 yrs and one of them during Kobe's farewell tour. Yet his numbers were promising and on the right trajectory. The future was bright, and we won't be a part of it.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:
Cigadrop wrote:

I love Eddie Jones but he always disappear when it matters.

We also traded an all star NVE because of his immaturity and locker room issues for peanuts. NVE was a proven player. He was clutch and he took us to the 2nd round of playoff pre Shaq. He was an All Star in a very good team that we have.

Last edited by CRoost on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:
Cigadrop wrote:

IMO - the ensuing success was more a function of the addition of Phil and the subtraction of Del.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
underdogsgv wrote:
Cigadrop wrote:

We traded an all star NVE because of his immaturity for peanuts.

Absolutely true. I see quite a few similarities between NVE and Dlo. Anyone following the team back then should remember how popular Nick the Quick was. And we got rid of him for almost nothing - again a nice case of addition by subtraction, when looking back. At the time, it was not a popular move.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

nslander32 wrote:
underdogsgv wrote:
Cigadrop wrote:

IMO - the ensuing success was more a function of the addition of Phil and the subtraction of Del.

I agree that Phil was a huge factor. He lit a fire under Shaq that year and he gave Kobe the mandate to attack, attack, attack.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
YSong wrote:

I'm a fan for 30+ yrs. Don't want to really show my age now, but I'm kinda old. I've watched many Lakers home grown. I'm not pissed that we traded away an all-star because we didn't, that's not the point. We traded a way a prospect with a very high ceiling who had only completed 2 yrs and one of them during Kobe's farewell tour. Yet his numbers were promising and on the right trajectory. The future was bright, and we won't be a part of it.

Honestly he was still learning the position. To top it off they never acquired a decent PG to show DLO the ropes of the position. Just a ridiculous way of underselling and under developing talent. Its a waste right now. I'll be interested to see just how far DLO will go with Lin as PG and a known player developer in Atkinson.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
YSong wrote:

His ceiling is a matter of opinion. Apparently a lot of GMs doesn't think so.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
YSong wrote:

Honestly he was still learning the position. To top it off they never acquired a decent PG to show DLO the ropes of the position. Just a ridiculous way of underselling and under developing talent. Its a waste right now. I'll be interested to see just how far DLO will go with Lin as PG and a known player developer in Atkinson.

So he was not picking Steve Nash brains when he was still with us. Kobe was also a PG like on his Afro days. If you can't get anything from those 2 guys then I dunno what to tell you.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Cigadrop wrote:

Guess what? That was Jodie's 5th season in the league. Even Kobe didn't score 40 until his 4th season. Russell did it only in his 2nd season, this after breaking Lakers' 57 year old rookie scoring record with 39 the previous season. Looks like he was ahead of schedule. Maybe you're the one with blinders?
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

Russell was the first lottery pick of the "post-Kobe" era and a lot of the people who became Lakers fans specifically because of Kobe, gravitated to Russell, and their love of Russell almost began overpowering their love of the Lakers.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
YSong wrote:

His ceiling is a matter of opinion. Apparently a lot of GMs doesn't think so.

Didn't a lot of those NBA GM's pass on Whiteside too? Yeah, they can be wrong sometimes.....
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
Cigadrop wrote:

Guess what? That was Jodie's 5th season in the league. Even Kobe didn't score 40 until his 4th season. Russell did it only in his 2nd season, this after breaking Lakers' 57 year old rookie scoring record with 39 the previous season. Looks like he was ahead of schedule. Maybe you're the one with blinders?

Kobe could have scored 50 in a bad team. He did average 20 ppg when he was 20 in a championship team to boot. He was that good and have the physical tools along with a legendary work ethic.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

CRoost wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
YSong wrote:

So he was not picking Steve Nash brains when he was still with us. Kobe was also a PG like on his Afro days. If you can't get anything from those 2 guys then I dunno what to tell you.

Sheeesh. I don't even know where to start, so I'm not even going to.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

Good one.
hellolaw5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Good one.

thank you!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: