2018 Plan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Plan

LakerLogic wrote:
Lakers are trying to open up capspace to sign 2 FAs. Let's assume PG13 is one of them.

Other big names available in 2018:

LeBron
Cousins
Westbrook

You sign one of those guys. Do you think you are beating GSW?

If you don't sign any of them - how exactly do you expect to get real traction towards competing in the West? I'll never understand why some people think it's logical to try and boil the process down to (sign this player) + (sign that player) < current championship contenders. Do you honestly think that standing pat and carrying all of that dead cap space is getting this team anywhere at all?

If there was a simple equation that involved signing two available players that guaranteed competing for titles right now - don't you think someone would have already pulled the trigger? (sign them or trade for them - doesn't matter)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

I think 2018 will shake out to PG13 (awesome) and re-signing Brook and other pieces.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Ah, just getting his numbers. Gotcha. He drove the finals MVP KD away b/c of his selfish play.

And you know this how? KD left b/c he realized OKC couldn't build a winner after trying for many years. They don't have the resources.

If you weren't a Lakers fan, you'd be saying the same things about Kobe. You sound just like anti-Kobe, non Lakers fans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

DzLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ah, just getting his numbers. Gotcha. He drove the finals MVP KD away b/c of his selfish play.

And you know this how? KD left b/c he realized OKC couldn't build a winner after trying for many years. They don't have the resources.

If you weren't a Lakers fan, you'd be saying the same things about Kobe. You sound just like anti-Kobe, non Lakers fans.

LOL. Read my following post and come back at me with this weak stuff.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Thats the same thing the media used to say about Kobe

Westbrook is no Kobe.

Well Kobe Bryant did say Russell Westbrook is the most similar player to himself, and i tend to agree

And that means what exactly?

Kobe to me, played winning basketball. Defense, co-existing (albeit tenuously) with Shaq and then elevating Pau/Odom/Bynum.

WB is a tremendous individual talent. He doesn't do the things that lead to championship ball, which is the hallmark of Kobe for me.

Russell Westbrook's comparison to Kobe begins and ends with the IDGAF attitude he displays towards everyone. And I love, LOVE Russ, but he aint no Kobe.

!...
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Plan

MJST wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Lakers are trying to open up capspace to sign 2 FAs. Let's assume PG13 is one of them.

LeBron
Cousins
Westbrook

2018 Plan:
Watch Paul George leave for the Houston Rockets
Watch D'Angelo Russell polish his Most Improved Player award as a star for the Nets.
Watch the Lakers not have a pick in the upcoming draft and land no free agents.
Watch the Lakers have to fill the void of "Cap space" with long contracts for veterans just like they had to for Mozgov and Deng
Watch the rebuild process have to start all over again.
Watch Luke Walton get fired 2-3 years into that for "Not making the team better." despite the fact he had his direction sabotaged one year in.
Watch Magic and Pelinka get fired
Watch Jeanie get voted off
Watch Jesse take over
Watch the Lakers start to have to rebuild proper again
Watch the year be 2025.
Cry that it all could have been avoided in the summer of 2017 when all they had to do was just wait.

I hear you man!
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Plan

MJST wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

LeBron
Cousins
Westbrook

2018 Plan:
Watch D'Angelo Russell polish his Most Improved Player award as a star for the Nets.
Watch the Lakers have to fill the void of "Cap space" with long contracts for veterans just like they had to for Mozgov and Deng
Watch Luke Walton get fired 2-3 years into that for "Not making the team better." despite the fact he had his direction sabotaged one year in.
Watch Jesse take over
Watch the year be 2025.
Cry that it all could have been avoided in the summer of 2017 when all they had to do was just wait.

That's a very bleak future man.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Plan

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

LeBron
Cousins
Westbrook

2018 Plan:
Watch Jesse take over
Watch the year be 2025.

I hear you man!

I'm hoping you guys are living a more joyous life in the real world
Cuz that's a sad projection of the future. Morbid. Almost like you're wanting it to happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Thats the same thing the media used to say about Kobe

Westbrook is no Kobe.

Well Kobe Bryant did say Russell Westbrook is the most similar player to himself, and i tend to agree

And that means what exactly?

Kobe to me, played winning basketball. Defense, co-existing (albeit tenuously) with Shaq and then elevating Pau/Odom/Bynum.

WB is a tremendous individual talent. He doesn't do the things that lead to championship ball, which is the hallmark of Kobe for me.

Russell Westbrook's comparison to Kobe begins and ends with the IDGAF attitude he displays towards everyone. And I love, LOVE Russ, but he aint no Kobe.

Exactly. Love watching him play on OKC, but it's not championship ball.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Plan

Rek wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

LeBron
Cousins
Westbrook

If you don't sign any of them - how exactly do you expect to get real traction towards competing in the West? I'll never understand why some people think it's logical to try and boil the process down to (sign this player) + (sign that player) < current championship contenders. Do you honestly think that standing pat and carrying all of that dead cap space is getting this team anywhere at all?

If there was a simple equation that involved signing two available players that guaranteed competing for titles right now - don't you think someone would have already pulled the trigger? (sign them or trade for them - doesn't matter)

Westbrook is so ball dominant. KD left because he would not ever give up the ball. Not sure he would fit our team. He is a great great player, but he is so ball dominant....

Lebron will be so old. Could turn into the Lebron Farewell Tour.

Cousisns- Well he is a highly inefficient scorer who is bad a D.

Not really sold on this 2018 FA bonanza we are blowing up our team for.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

Russell Westbrook had an insane 42% usage last year.
The last 5 years: 32.8, 34.4, 38.4, 31.6, 41.7.

The times his usage was insane, was 3 years ago at 38.4 when KD was HURT and only played 27 games. And last year, when he was the only real threat. So some context there.

As an example of another star player on a star studded team:
Steph Curry last year: 30.1 usage.

Now for the Lakers possible team.

Paul George: 28.9 usage.
Lonzo Ball at UCLA: 18.1
Ingram: 16.8 (most likely to go up)
Nance: 13.4 (dont see it going up too much if at all)

I think WB will fit fine on this team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
danzag wrote:
This is the dumbest plan ever.

Oh, no. It's a retread. For the long time forum members, here is what sends chills down our spines.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=42883

Thanks for digging that up

Aw. Is that thread bad? Or was the 2007 plan bad?
I mean, we did win in 2009 and 2010.
So I'll take it.

The 2007 plan and the following 2008 plan were complete and utter failures. We never signed a major free agent. Basically, we spent a few years shooting air balls.

We turned things around because (1) Fisher got out of his Utah contract because of his daughter's health issue, (2) Bynum developed into a star caliber player, albeit brittle, (3) the combination of 1 and 2 changed the trajectory of the team, with a red hot start to the '08 season, (4) Mitch pulled off the Ariza trade, and (5) after Bynum got hurt, Mitch pulled off the Gasol trade.

The details here are important. Clearing cap space for free agents was a waste of time. We just let Brian Grant's expiring contract go. We eventually used Kwame's contract, Critt, and a valuable young asset (the rights to Marc Gasol) to make the big move.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
danzag wrote:

Oh, no. It's a retread. For the long time forum members, here is what sends chills down our spines.

So I'll take it.

The 2007 plan and the following 2008 plan were complete and utter failures. We never signed a major free agent. Basically, we spent a few years shooting air balls.

We turned things around because (1) Fisher got out of his Utah contract because of his daughter's health issue, (2) Bynum developed into a star caliber player, albeit brittle, (3) the combination of 1 and 2 changed the trajectory of the team, with a red hot start to the '08 season, (4) Mitch pulled off the Ariza trade, and (5) after Bynum got hurt, Mitch pulled off the Gasol trade.

The details here are important. Clearing cap space for free agents was a waste of time. We just let Brian Grant's expiring contract go. We eventually used Kwame's contract, Critt, and a valuable young asset (the rights to Marc Gasol) to make the big move.

Well if 2007 and 2017 are different in that we didnt free up cap in 2007/08 because we really couldn't. Then why is it a retread?
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Soon to be 2019 plan, then 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023...
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Plan

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Rek wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

LeBron
Cousins
Westbrook

Westbrook is so ball dominant. KD left because he would not ever give up the ball. Not sure he would fit our team. He is a great great player, but he is so ball dominant....

I should have said "if you don't sign any stars" as opposed to this small list that everyone keeps pandering. Westbrook will never sniff a title with his playing style. I don't blame Durant a bit for getting away from him. LeBron at 34 isn't very appetizing (I don't like the guy to begin with but his talent is undeniable) and I'm closer to neutral on Cousins.

The point is - did anyone really expect this team to go anywhere at all if they just hold onto all of the dead MozDeng cap space for the next 3 seasons and merely hope for the best? Those contracts have to be moved if you want to bring in established talent. It's not an option - it's necessary.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
danzag wrote:

So I'll take it.

Well if 2007 and 2017 are different in that we didnt free up cap in 2007/08 because we really couldn't. Then why is it a retread?

who said we didn't free up cap?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

The times his usage was insane, was 3 years ago at 38.4 when KD was HURT and only played 27 games. And last year, when he was the only real threat. So some context there.

No thanks - shooting for eventual title contention - not The Westbrook Show
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
danzag wrote:

So I'll take it.

I dont remember. So did we?
So is 2007 and 2017 the same? Is it a retread or not?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
epak wrote:

Alright.
But I'll be fine with having 2 potential triple double thread guards in my lineup.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Plan

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Rek wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

LeBron
Cousins
Westbrook

So KD averaged 30 ppg playing with a guy who didn't give up the ball? Same guy who averaged double digit assists? Can we strive for even a slight amount of honesty?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Rek wrote:
epak wrote:

Alright.
But I'll be fine with having 2 potential triple double thread guards in my lineup.

I'm fine with that as well as long as one of them isn't Russ. A lot of fans see him as a piece to a title contender. I don't.

Last edited by Rek on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
lakerboy wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
danzag wrote:

So I'll take it.

I dont remember. So did we?
So is 2007 and 2017 the same? Is it a retread or not?

yes, we did an it was useless

just like it was when we tried to sign melo or LMA
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I'm not sure why you think we couldn't in '07/'08. There were detailed posts about all of this at the time. Mitch had short term, disposable contracts that covered the cap space
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DzLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

LOL. Read my following post and come back at me with this weak stuff.

I noticed you didn't answer exactly how you know why KD left. He's never mentioned a thing about WB's selfishness. Mindreading is a great skill, didn't know you had it.

We can disagree on whether WB can be a part of a championship squad. Like Kobe, he just wants to win.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:

I'm not sure why you think we couldn't in '07/'08. There were detailed posts about all of this at the time. Mitch had short term, disposable contracts that covered the cap space

Ok.

So per emplay's article:

So in that summer the Lakers let Brian Grant expire.
They passed up on guys like Carlos Boozer, Baron Davis and Ron Artest.
And they passed up on numerous free agents and potential trades to protect that cap space with hopes of signing LeBron James, Yao Ming, Amare Stoudemire or at worst Chris Bosh.

Perhaps the biggest error the team made was trading Caron Butler for a big man. Butler was eligible for an extension before 2007 . . . which meant he had to go. The Lakers would swap the eventual All-Star for Kwame Brown who originally had only two of his three contract years guaranteed.

So are you saying the retread was the big free agents simply extending and not signing w/ the Lakers? Or are there other parts that you consider a retread? If the main retread is the big timers skipping on the lakers, I'd say Lebron, Yao, Amare, or even CB's camp never said the summer before: "I'm going to play out my contract and I'm going to the Lakers."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: