Article: For months Magic Johnson preached Patience, but Today that is all out the Window
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Article: For months Magic Johnson preached Patience, but Today that is all out the Window

https://lakersoutsiders.com/2017/06/20/los-angeles-lakers-impatient-front-office-dangelo-russell-trade/

Quote:
Many months and an old front office ago, Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss sat on the phone in discussions about potentially acquiring DeMarcus Cousins. Kupchak, a long-time servant of the Lakers, would not budge on the Kings’ asking price of Brandon Ingram. In the end, he lost his job days later, but the Lakers’ slow-rolling path of youth and development was still in place.
Until today.

The new front office of Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka brought with them excitement. Fresh faces with fresh mindsets and fresh approaches to a gloomy situation. The Lakers were stuck in their four-year long rut, but Magic and Pelinka weren’t going to step in and strip the young core in win-now moves. Patience was the key. Build up a young core, wait out the dynasty Warriors and be ready to take over years down the road.

At least that’s what they said.

On Tuesday, four months of lip service went down the drain. Magic, who called the Lakers’ young core “untouchable”, and Pelinka dealt a vital piece – the best piece – of that young core away in a salary dump to rid themselves of Timofey Mozgov’s terrible contract. And for what? A chance to potentially chase LeBron James in free agency? A chance to mortgage the future while chasing a star in the summer?

That sounds a lot like the group that was just run out of the front office.

Maybe the front office knows something fans don’t. Maybe they’re a lot closer to a Paul George trade than we realize. Maybe they’re far more certain they can land LeBron than ever before.

But what they did on Tuesday was reckless, careless and simply unnecessary. The Lakers did not have a move lined up that was contingent on them clearing cap space. They could have acquired George without needing to move either of the pair of albatross contracts on the books. There was no reason they couldn’t have made Tuesday’s move in, say, 365 days. At that point, you have a year under your belt, a clearer idea of which pieces of the young core fit and, most importantly, a much lower asking price for teams to take on Mozgov or Luol Deng’s contracts. It wouldn’t have taken a D’Angelo Russell to move the deal.

And that’s not even broaching the subject of trading away your team’s best player. Russell was polarizing, enigmatic and captivating, likely in that order. He was a special talent in a not-so-special situation. He was doomed from the start: a 19-year old kid thrust in the spotlight of the soon-to-be Kobe-less Lakers. He was the Chosen One.

But more than all the superlatives you could lob his way, he was good. Historically good. The list of players who matched his output at his age was short, often small enough to count on two hands. He was an uber-talented, young building block. He was objectively the team’s best player.

Certainly there were concerns about his maturity. But what 21-year old doesn’t have that? There were concerns about his willingness to be coached, one year removed from serving under the league’s worst coach ever. There were concerns about his health after a handful of relatively minor injuries.

But on a team devoid of talent, he was the best thing they had going. Moving him for nothing more than to dump a salary shows a stunning lack of foresight. Dealing away a proven talent for the opportunity to chase an aging LeBron in a year’s time is a move that can set a franchise back multiple years.

The end result may be George and James teaming in L.A. in a year’s time. Fans, myself included, will rejoice. But the result of this move will never vindicate the process. The Lakers made a big mistake on Tuesday. Let’s hope it doesn’t cost them dearly.

ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

I think we deluded ourselves into thinking Magic the tweeter was different to Magic the business executive

Today showed theyre the same
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
I think we deluded ourselves into thinking Magic the tweeter was different to Magic the business executive

Today showed theyre the same

I think we gotta put a stop to this delusion, like, as a nation
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

he never believed in patience. Like any new GM who is green behind the ears, desperate to show his value, he went for the quick fix.
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5
Star Player
Star Player

He's a complete moron. Him and Jeanie both. For all of Jim Buss's faults, his greatest attribute was patience i.e. never trading Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
he never believed in patience. Like any new GM who is green behind the ears, desperate to show his value, he went for the quick fix.

quick implosion
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Well, i mean, I think it was obvious that the FO was going to want to make a big splash. They were pretty open about how they hated how irrelevant the team has become. Unless nothing was on the table, they were going to make moves.

!...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

This article gets it 100% right.

This is a disgrace.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
paymonM wrote:

quick implosion

I love first round playoffs though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cry:

kill me fam
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Magic showed his incompetence today as President of Basketball Operations.

If you trade your best player in a salay dump with no guaranteed follow up moves... you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a front office ever again.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Magic Michael Isiah Billy

Mount Rushmore!
ThePunisher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

A couple of buffoons playing for the quarterly report in the Lakers front office right now. Other GMs are licking their chops.
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

There needs to be a realist approach to the plan rather than the delusional thought of projecting player based on nothing more subjective "uber talent". What is so special about Dlo that you can't name 10 players historically at his age that match his 15PER, 52ts% (4-5 lower than lg avg), .038ws/48, and minus rapm/bpm?

I was the first to view him very positively before he was draft and would be the first to admit I was wrong after seeing his progression in 2 full NBA seasons.

Last edited by business101 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

That's my frustration. My bad for not wanting west back
Power Gasol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

This is exactly why I'm so pissed off at this trade. What a day.
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

NBA fans: HAHA! no other fan base could possibly be having a worse week than Boston!!

Magic: Hold my beer...
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Good article.

For us, we had a special bond with Dlo. Our last great payer was Kobe Bryant and Dlo showed great potential. So us as fans, we had a connection with DeAngelo. Kobe mentored him and Dlo in his rookie season showed the Kobe post moves which he still uses to this day.
Many fans of other teams will look at this trade at a glance and say fair trade but they don't follow this team 24/7. They aren't as invested in this team as we are.

We went 19-63 just to get a chance to draft Okafor or Towns. DeAngelo made us think twice and even has Okafor fans mad to this day.

I'm not sure what Magic saw but it's crazy to think a few plane rides and traveling with the players would make Magic want to trade Dlo. Sure Do had a "know it all" attitude but which great player didn't have a big head?

Magic comes in February and just 4 months later trades our prized possession just to get a chance to get trade for a guy that's already 28 years old in Paul George. He might have traded Dlo to open up cap space for out of his prime Lebron. Who knows. It's a sad day for me as a Laker fan. I'll always support us but this is a horrible first move.

Last edited by Black Sheep on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

AIRZOOMKOBE2k5 wrote:
NBA fans: HAHA! no other fan base could possibly be having a worse week than Boston!!

Magic: Hold my beer...

Don't go to a Pacers board right now if you're a Lakers fan.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

The best point of this article is that you didn't have to make that dump now. Another year of Moz, means teams will only have to take up 2 yrs, so asking price will be lower than D'Angelo. You get to see how D'Lo and Lonzo work for a year.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Link from some website called Lakers outsiders

The site and author of that article must be a Jim & Johnny Buss mouthpiece.

Since they've been banished and fired by their sister the Lakers board governor and who has final say.

But wait a minute every time a Kevin Ding article gets posted here on LG. Almost every Jeanie Buss HATER here on LG is quick to say "Oh look Jeanie's mouth piece Kevin Ding is posting another hack job article for her".
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:

Since they've been banished and fired by their sister the Lakers board governor and who has final say.

But wait a minute every time a Kevin Ding article gets posted here on LG. Almost every Jeanie Buss HATER here on LG is quick to say "Oh look Jeanie's mouth piece Kevin Ding is posting another hack job article for her".

It's actually a good website, just Lakers' bloggers.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I miss Jim Buss.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

It's actually a good website, just Lakers' bloggers.

Bloggers with NO real inside knowledge or credibility.

Compared to some like Adrian Woj, Kevin Ding, Ramona Shelborne, or Kevin Ding.

Yeah ok.

But that's the problem with media and sports writing. Anyone can start a blog and even get media credentials. As long as some people are willing to click on their website links.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Can someone please tell me who is Dlo going to outplay in a playoff series now or 3 years from now? Not Steph, not Lillard, not Klay, not Booker, not anyone in the west that makes the playoffs so what did we lose today a player with promise sorry I would rather have a mixture of vets and 2 or 3 decent young players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: