Article: For months Magic Johnson preached Patience, but Today that is all out the Window
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

Patience doesn't mean sitting on the sidelines when a great opportunity presents itself to you.

I think the FO has been patient, and now that PG13 wants to be here, they are acting! They are making the best moves possible to make next season fun for the fans, as well as considering the future.

The Moz/Deng contracts are trash they need to clean up. They got rid of one. DLO unfortunately was traded too soon, but his team chemistry, attitude and work ethic made him expendable. I'm happy for him because he can have a fresh start over there.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KBH wrote:
CRoost wrote:
KBH wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:
Lakers couldn't even get a lottery pick for DLO, and I felt like we just gave away 19-year-old Lew Alcinder after reading that.

Exactly my point. Couldn't get a lottery pick for him. Why? Wouldn't it behoove you to rehabilitate his image and get his stock up, instead of contributing then dumping? Moronic.

We also couldn't get a lottery pick for him because we wanted to pair him with one of our contracts. I've been framing it like this because people are judging D'Lo's value based on what we got in return rather than what the Nets were willing to take on.

The Nets, a team without a lottery pick, were willing to take on Mozgov's albatross, give up a first round pick and a center better than Mozgov to get D'Lo. That speaks to what his value is when the player better than Mozgov is also expiring. The Nets view D'Lo as one of the lottery picks they lost to Boston.

They offered him alone for lotto pick and no one bite. The Nets was even having 2nd thought about their 27th pick. If DLo is special, don't you think a team like Orlando who still looking for that special player they can build around with, should have given up their pick and pick up the extra baggage of Moz?

If you can show me a report stating that they offered him alone for a lotto pick, than I'd be willing to revise my position. Considering Magic's previously stated position that the team was angling for the 2018 offseason and Lopez's contract expiring at that time which clears 22 million, seems pretty evident to me that this was a salary dump and D'Lo was the cost to justify the Moz deal. Regarding your Orlando comment, Orlando already has their own bad contract in Biyombo which isn't expiring. That would make no sense for them even if getting Russell would.

He's going off the earlier ford report that they were looking for a late lottery pick and dangling Russell. Turns out later we find out that part of the move was to dump Mozgov. That's been repeated over and over, but the "just russell" plays better forma certain argument, even though it isn't true.

Where was that reported? I'm not trying to spread disinfo. I just haven't seen it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:
Patience doesn't mean sitting on the sidelines when a great opportunity presents itself to you.

I think the FO has been patient, and now that PG13 wants to be here, they are acting! They are making the best moves possible to make next season fun for the fans, as well as considering the future.

The Moz/Deng contracts are trash they need to clean up. They got rid of one. DLO unfortunately was traded too soon, but his team chemistry, attitude and work ethic made him expendable. I'm happy for him because he can have a fresh start over there.

Again, Lakers could have cleared that cap space for PG13 without trading DLO. This is one of the biggest misconceptions that Moz had to be traded to have a max for PG13.

It's Magic's delusional 2Max dream that is part of it.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

Again, Lakers could have cleared that cap space for PG13 without trading DLO. This is one of the biggest misconceptions that Moz had to be traded to have a max for PG13.

Just wonder if Jerry West was here if he would've stopped Magic. He was very high of Russell and endorsing him as the type of player he'd get. But oh well we will never know.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

Just wonder if Jerry West was here if he would've stopped Magic. He was very high of Russell and endorsing him as the type of player he'd get. But oh well we will never know.

You don't think he's gunning for Lebron too?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

Probably easier if you have CP3 and one of Blake/DJ at the meeting.

I'm sure Ingram/Lonzo would call Lebron "MR. Lebron, sir" (if he says anything at all) at the pitch meeting.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

I'm sure Ingram/Lonzo would call Lebron "MR. Lebron, sir" (if he says anything at all) at the pitch meeting.

If they're still there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

If they're still there.

LonzoGram pitch to Lebron:

"Mr. Lebron sir, can I have your autograph. Oh...can you join our little superteam here please? If not, can I take a selfie with you?"
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

He traded away all star Nick Van Excel. Dlo is a poor man's NVE. They both have the stupid eyebrows and bad attitude. NVE being the way better player.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

People are underrating the value of a salary dump. The salary cap is 2 million lower than they projected a few months ago, and almost 10 million lower than when they signed these terribad contracts. There are literally only a handful of teams with any realistic capability on absorbing bad contracts and two of them have almost zero interest in helping the Lakers (Vlade and the Kings, who delusionally think they don't need to rebuild and don't like the Lakers, the Pacers who don't want to actively help the Lakers get their fanchise guy) and the Nets, who might have taken Dwight instead a mere few hours later instead, or a dozen other contract for prospect deals.

Russell's value might have increase this year but then all the cap space is gone and we have to take a bad contract back to dump Mosgov/Deng.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And that’s not even broaching the subject of trading away your team’s best player. Russell was polarizing, enigmatic and captivating, likely in that order. He was a special talent in a not-so-special situation. He was doomed from the start: a 19-year old kid thrust in the spotlight of the soon-to-be Kobe-less Lakers. He was the Chosen One.

But more than all the superlatives you could lob his way, he was good. Historically good. The list of players who matched his output at his age was short, often small enough to count on two hands. He was an uber-talented, young building block. He was objectively the team’s best player.

Certainly there were concerns about his maturity. But what 21-year old doesn’t have that? There were concerns about his willingness to be coached, one year removed from serving under the league’s worst coach ever. There were concerns about his health after a handful of relatively minor injuries.

But on a team devoid of talent, he was the best thing they had going. Moving him for nothing more than to dump a salary shows a stunning lack of foresight. Dealing away a proven talent for the opportunity to chase an aging LeBron in a year’s time is a move that can set a franchise back multiple years.

The end result may be George and James teaming in L.A. in a year’s time. Fans, myself included, will rejoice. But the result of this move will never vindicate the process. The Lakers made a big mistake on Tuesday. Let’s hope it doesn’t cost them dearly.

I think if you want to sum up D'Angelo, his tenure, and what's next all in a few sentences, these do it perfectly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

GreekTrojan wrote:
People are underrating the value of a salary dump. The salary cap is 2 million lower than they projected a few months ago, and almost 10 million lower than when they signed these terribad contracts. There are literally only a handful of teams with any realistic capability on absorbing bad contracts and two of them have almost zero interest in helping the Lakers (Vlade and the Kings, who delusionally think they don't need to rebuild and don't like the Lakers, the Pacers who don't want to actively help the Lakers get their fanchise guy) and the Nets, who might have taken Dwight instead a mere few hours later instead, or a dozen other contract for prospect deals.

Russell's value might have increase this year but then all the cap space is gone and we have to take a bad contract back to dump Mosgov/Deng.

It's really not that urgent. The Nets aren't becoming FA players. 76ers will still be a contract absorber. you don't think they'd take Moz + DLO? Hell yeah they would in 1 year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

GreekTrojan wrote:

Did you read what he said? It's what most around here have been saying..

You let Moz and Deng play out another year... at that point they only have 2 years left on the deal.. much much much more manageable.

Simultaneously, you give DLO a 3rd year (where stars start to show signs of breaking out) in his natural position of being a scorer. Give him real starter mins (not 28 a game) and watch him put up 24/5/5.

I understand what Tragic and his little boy toy are looking to accomplish but it's shortsighted. Like the article says, even if we get Bron, we'll all celebrate but a) can that team beat the Warriors b) how long will that team last before extensions for Ball and Ingram and Nance etc kick in and we don't have the funds to get another star. We've then put all our eggs in whatever we get out of LeBron-- IF we even get him.

The best play was keep what we had drafted Ball, sign some one year place holders and cross our fingers the PG is a FA next summer (vs liking a team he ends up with). Worst came to worst, we still had Ball/DLO/Ingram/Randle/Nance/Zu/Clarkson + 28. We could stretch Mozzy and Deng and sign one max guy. Or flip side, we could have moved Clarkson this summer for a future 2nd, and had funds to sign to Hayward after trading #2 and Deng for George.

We literally limited ourselves to just free agency as a means to get better.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You let Moz and Deng play out another year... at that point they only have 2 years left on the deal.. much much much more manageable.

Exactly. You can give up less with less $ on the deal.

3 years out. Why?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

If they're still there.

LonzoGram pitch to Lebron:

"Mr. Lebron sir, can I have your autograph. Oh...can you join our little superteam here please? If not, can I take a selfie with you?"

LaVar: Bron, you can be the Pippen to Lonzo and Lamelo!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

He traded away all star Nick Van Excel. Dlo is a poor man's NVE. They both have the stupid eyebrows and bad attitude. NVE being the way better player.

Nick couldn't get along with anyone. He clashed with Magic during his aborted come back and then with Shaq and Kobe. West gave him away in a fire sale. It really was a very different situation than with Russell.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

If what we heard about DLO were true, West likely would have traded him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

If they're still there.

I think CP3 will be, less likely Griffin and Jordan. Good chance Melo is there.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Getting rid of a #2 pick you invested two years of development in, just to get rid of a bad contract, is an out and out catastrophe.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
KBH wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
CRoost wrote:
KBH wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:
Lakers couldn't even get a lottery pick for DLO, and I felt like we just gave away 19-year-old Lew Alcinder after reading that.

Exactly my point. Couldn't get a lottery pick for him. Why? Wouldn't it behoove you to rehabilitate his image and get his stock up, instead of contributing then dumping? Moronic.

We also couldn't get a lottery pick for him because we wanted to pair him with one of our contracts. I've been framing it like this because people are judging D'Lo's value based on what we got in return rather than what the Nets were willing to take on.

The Nets, a team without a lottery pick, were willing to take on Mozgov's albatross, give up a first round pick and a center better than Mozgov to get D'Lo. That speaks to what his value is when the player better than Mozgov is also expiring. The Nets view D'Lo as one of the lottery picks they lost to Boston.

They offered him alone for lotto pick and no one bite. The Nets was even having 2nd thought about their 27th pick. If DLo is special, don't you think a team like Orlando who still looking for that special player they can build around with, should have given up their pick and pick up the extra baggage of Moz?

They have their Moz already, his name is Biyombo.

Even with Biyombo, you can't possibly pass on a special player especially when you don't have one yet right

Not if it's going to make them even more cash strapped with players like Gordon due for an extension in the near future. I like Russell, but few people are claiming he's SO special that he's worth tying your cap up with by willingly taking on Moz. Even Jersey still has cap space after this trade. That said, Jersey believes they have something to gain by adding Russell, which is why they gave up a player better than Moz, a pick when they're short on them and took a bad contract. That shows they believe they've found value in Russell even if you don't agree with that. And that's the point I was making in my original comment.

DLo is a good player and I did not agree with the trade when I First saw it but with the cap space that it created, it will give us a chance to sign a very good player and I like that plan.

We could have made a similar deal at the trade deadline or, better yet, next summer when a star is actually indicating they'll sign with us right after.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

Everyone in the organization who spent any significant amount of time around D'Angelo Russell seemed to quickly grow disenchanted with him. There's no reason to believe West would have been any different.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
KBH wrote:
CRoost wrote:
KBH wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:

If you can show me a report stating that they offered him alone for a lotto pick, than I'd be willing to revise my position. Considering Magic's previously stated position that the team was angling for the 2018 offseason and Lopez's contract expiring at that time which clears 22 million, seems pretty evident to me that this was a salary dump and D'Lo was the cost to justify the Moz deal. Regarding your Orlando comment, Orlando already has their own bad contract in Biyombo which isn't expiring. That would make no sense for them even if getting Russell would.

Ramona has reported that without mentioning Moz and also read the Mavs.

Orlando? They need that special player. If New Orleans offered AD for us along with the contract of Solomon Hill, I would empty our team to get him even if they don't take Deng and Moz.

lol You're the one that used the word "special." Obviously D'Lo and Davis aren't the same thing, so you're not saying anything by making this comparison.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
GreekTrojan wrote:

Did you read what he said? It's what most around here have been saying..

Simultaneously, you give DLO a 3rd year (where stars start to show signs of breaking out) in his natural position of being a scorer. Give him real starter mins (not 28 a game) and watch him put up 24/5/5.

I understand what Tragic and his little boy toy are looking to accomplish but it's shortsighted. Like the article says, even if we get Bron, we'll all celebrate but a) can that team beat the Warriors b) how long will that team last before extensions for Ball and Ingram and Nance etc kick in and we don't have the funds to get another star. We've then put all our eggs in whatever we get out of LeBron-- IF we even get him.

The best play was keep what we had drafted Ball, sign some one year place holders and cross our fingers the PG is a FA next summer (vs liking a team he ends up with). Worst came to worst, we still had Ball/DLO/Ingram/Randle/Nance/Zu/Clarkson + 28. We could stretch Mozzy and Deng and sign one max guy. Or flip side, we could have moved Clarkson this summer for a future 2nd, and had funds to sign to Hayward after trading #2 and Deng for George.

We literally limited ourselves to just free agency as a means to get better.

This makes too much sense. Too bad Tragic and CO want to chase some unicorns in fantasy land. Lebron???!!
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KBH wrote:
CRoost wrote:
KBH wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:

He's going off the earlier ford report that they were looking for a late lottery pick and dangling Russell. Turns out later we find out that part of the move was to dump Mozgov. That's been repeated over and over, but the "just russell" plays better forma certain argument, even though it isn't true.

I know. But I was giving him the chance to actually support his statements with evidence. There's evidence of Magic saying they wanted to be players in 2018. There's evidence that D'Lo was moved as a justification for a team to take on Mozgov's contract and give up a pick and superior player than Mozgov to acquire him. There's nothing but rumor and his own opinion that D'Lo couldn't bring in a lottery pick without a MozDeng contract attached to him.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RJ_LA wrote:

Everyone in the organization who spent any significant amount of time around D'Angelo Russell seemed to quickly grow disenchanted with him. There's no reason to believe West would have been any different.

lol is this why both Larry Nance and Metta both posted farewell messages to D'Lo on social media immediately after news of the deal broke? You're projecting again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: