Will trading DLO haunt us like when OKC traded Harden?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will trading DLO haunt us like when OKC traded Harden?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 77 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 158 ]
Not Sure
14%
 14%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 274

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
danzag wrote:
It might cost us Paul George (as his agent was not happy about the move). So it already did.

Yes, I have not heard this confirmed. Do you have a source?

24/Omar posted it yesterday. Can't find where, tho. Too many posts these last 2 days.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

Well according to this Paul's agent wanted Lakers to keep Russell...

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-paul-georges-agent-wants-l-a-to-keep-dangelo-russell-julius-randle/2017/06/20/
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
deal wrote:
Naaa, DLO is not Harden. And again, if Ball pans out we will not be
looking back...

Not now, but you never know. Even if he does turn out to be really good, we hopefully land who we want in free agency. Hopefully.

You may be right or wrong, only time will tell for sure. But since a mater of opinion, I just don't see DLO as committed as Harden was, however, the trade and playing in the east may wake him up. Like I said, we'll see.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Comparing DLo to Harden?

Well in 2012, when the Harden trade was made, I would argue that DLO was a similar player to Harden at the time. Then Harden became a Superstar after the trade.

You'd be wrong. Harden was already one of the better players in the league.

Russell is nowhere near that status. At best right now is an average point guard.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-paul-georges-agent-wants-l-a-to-keep-dangelo-russell-julius-randle/2017/06/20/

Whatever. I think Magic has PG's number and that's that..
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

I'm going to laugh if the Lakers turn their promising roster into a barren landscape in a sad effort to lure PG13 here.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

deal wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
deal wrote:
looking back...

Not now, but you never know. Even if he does turn out to be really good, we hopefully land who we want in free agency. Hopefully.

You may be right or wrong, only time will tell for sure. But since a mater of opinion, I just don't see DLO as committed as Harden was, however, the trade and playing in the east may wake him up. Like I said, we'll see.

That is one of my criticisms, though. If we had one more season with him, we could see more clearly. This is a considerable gamble.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

danzag wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
danzag wrote:
It might cost us Paul George (as his agent was not happy about the move). So it already did.

24/Omar posted it yesterday. Can't find where, tho. Too many posts these last 2 days.

Well help me Jebus. What is Magic thinking?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Call me old fashioned, and maybe agents have always had influence that before the social media era we never really knew about, but I hate that more and more I keep reading articles that mention them.

We should be selecting and keeping players on the basis of our needs, not any agent's personal agenda.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Russell was not the best pick.

Mozgov contract was not the best one.

That was not certainly the kind of trade you wish you are going to get for a 2nd pick.

I'd give a D for the whole situation.

Signing Mozgov was the worst move for sure, the other two are at least questionable.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure DLO ever hits Harden's level of MVP type play but I do think he could be a 25/5/5 guy which is super special.

Yeah.. we will regret it probably as early as this year when he putting up 22 a night and carrying the offense.

It was a terrible move... one that almost makes me want to find a new team to root for. But don't worry Laker fans.. the Magic man is going to get LeBron. [/sarcasm]
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Comparing DLo to Harden?

Well in 2012, when the Harden trade was made, I would argue that DLO was a similar player to Harden at the time. Then Harden became a Superstar after the trade.

DLo is nowhere close to the player Harden was when he was traded. Not by any eye test, stat, metric, whatever. Even DLo's grandmother would say that Harden was much better.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
danzag wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
danzag wrote:

Well help me Jebus. What is Magic thinking?

Sam Amick

@sam_amick

On Lakers-Pacers front: Paul George & D'Angelo Russell have same agent, Aaron Mintz of CAA, & he would like them to play together. Tricky...

Was that it ? It was actually a few hours before the trade.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
deal wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
deal wrote:
looking back...

That is one of my criticisms, though. If we had one more season with him, we could see more clearly. This is a considerable gamble.

Yeah, I understand.your point no doubt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:

That was not certainly the kind of trade you wish you are going to get for a 2nd pick.

Signing Mozgov was the worst move for sure, the other two are at least questionable.

You wanted Oak. So I guess We dodged that bullet too.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:

This.

I did not like the trade.

But DLo can never get to Harden level.

Harden attack the basket

In his 2nd year Harden had already 262 shots around the rim

DLo a measly 115 attempts.

No comparison here.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

OKC gave up the third most important piece of a Finals team. Lakers gave up the third most important piece of a lottery team.

There is no comparison in the two.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
danzag wrote:

Where did this come from?

I think Mintz should be happy with the landing spot. Big market and he'll be the #1 or #2 guy and can land the big contract extension since Nets have to spend.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

yes i believe so
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Comparing DLo to Harden?

DLo is nowhere close to the player Harden was when he was traded. Not by any eye test, stat, metric, whatever. Even DLo's grandmother would say that Harden was much better.

Harden was a significantly better player at the time and they had just gone to the Finals in a season in which Harden was Sixth Man of the Year. This isn't a great comparison.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

James Harden was traded after his third year when he was asking for an extension at the max at that time. After his second year though Harden and Russell compare pretty well in Russell's favor.

I have never agreed that Russell is Harden 2.0 but I think Russell will become a very good player in the league. Not a MVP guy like Harden, because they have some differences, but he will be an all-star down the road IMO. I felt Russell was closest to Ginobli in impact - slowed down post-prime atthleticism Ginobli. That's not a MVP, but a star guard and a few time all-star.

If I had to guess his numbers next year I think he'll drop 18 points and 5 assists a night. Good trade for the Nets. Not like Houston/Harden, but they got a 21 year old potential future all-star guard for a big man that was going to be let go in a year in free agency. I think they are the clear winners in the trade for now, but we won't really know what the Lakers side is until we see what they do with the capspace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bchang2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

not to mention GS has won the chip a couple times a couple years later. might not seem like the best move at the time but im sure GS is happy where they are at now.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
James Harden was traded after his third year when he was asking for an extension at the max at that time. After his second year though Harden and Russell compare pretty well in Russell's favor.

I have never agreed that Russell is Harden 2.0 but I think Russell will become a very good player in the league. Not a MVP guy like Harden, because they have some differences, but he will be an all-star down the road IMO. I felt Russell was closest to Ginobli in impact - slowed down post-prime atthleticism Ginobli. That's not a MVP, but a star guard and a few time all-star.

If I had to guess his numbers next year I think he'll drop 18 points and 5 assists a night. Good trade for the Nets. Not like Houston/Harden, but they got a 21 year old potential future all-star guard for a big man that was going to be let go in a year in free agency. I think they are the clear winners in the trade for now, but we won't really know what the Lakers side is until we see what they do with the capspace.

Great, well thought answer!
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

We have no idea yet. The obvious difference is OKC made that trade solely because they weren't willing to pay Harden the max. Magic made the trade to clear space to try and sign a better player next summer. I don't personally think it's worth the risk to clear space a year ahead of when you plan to use it, especially when there is a very good chance the asset you're trading will go up in value (never sell low), but we can't evaluate this trade fully until we know whether the gambit worked and what we got for it. If we end up signing someone better than Russell, it's worth it, but right now all we can go on is the probability of that happening, but since we don't know who we'll get (if anyone) and we don't know how good Russell will end up being, it's way too uncertain. But he definitely doesn't need to turn out as good as Harden for this to turn out terribly. All that has to happen is we whiff on every target next summer and end up signing someone no better than Mozgov or nobody at all.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

I hope so. I don't want the Celtics to have the #1 pick next year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: