Will trading DLO haunt us like when OKC traded Harden?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will trading DLO haunt us like when OKC traded Harden?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 77 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 158 ]
Not Sure
14%
 14%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 274

Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Watch this and get your answer:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
TomSeaver wrote:
Some of you guys really overrate this guy.

No kidding.

Just for the record. the "kid we're overrating" put up stats by his 2nd year it took Mike Conley 7 years to accomplish and Kyle Lowry 8.

think about that next time you come to that conclusion.

Im actually a fan of Russell and sad to see him go. But do I think this is going to be a Harden situation where Russell becomes a Top 5 player who finishes 2nd twice in the MVP voting? No. Not even close.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

i think he will be a top 5 guard at some point.

Already excellent in post

Excellent in pnr

Awesome passer

Will get his 3 game

Already had vet moves and ability to use his body to work in the paint.

All the tools other than being able to jump out of gym

Last edited by Halflife on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Hell to the NO NO NO!

Way back, we traded Norm Nixon, to draft Byron Scott.. and it turned out just fine..

Damn, we even traded my favourites, Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell, for Mr Sarah Palin, and that turned out fine!

D-LO is nowhere near as impactful as many of the players we've traded.

BTW, that Norm Nixon trade was done more to give Magic full control of the ball than to draft Byron, and I suppose the same can be said about giving Lonzo the rock!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Watch this and get your answer:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
TomSeaver wrote:
Some of you guys really overrate this guy.

No kidding.

Just for the record. the "kid we're overrating" put up stats by his 2nd year it took Mike Conley 7 years to accomplish and Kyle Lowry 8.

think about that next time you come to that conclusion.

Im actually a fan of Russell and sad to see him go. But do I think this is going to be a Harden situation where Russell becomes a Top 5 player who finishes 2nd twice in the MVP voting? No. Not even close.

Thing is, you have no clue whether he will be or not. Currently he's a better player at 21 than Harden was, so we'll have to find out.

All I know is that if it happens, Magic should be fired and Jeanie with him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
Hell to the NO NO NO!

Way back, we traded Norm Nixon, to draft Byron Scott.. and it turned out just fine..

Damn, we even traded my favourites, Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell, for Mr Sarah Palin, and that turned out fine!

BTW, that Norm Nixon trade was done more to give Magic full control of the ball than to draft Byron, and I suppose the same can be said about giving Lonzo the rock!

Lonzo as yet unproven in the NBA will now be given the task of being the "do everything" for an NBA team as opposed to being eased in and developed properly and having a scorer next to him to depend on.

yep and if he's not an all star by his 2nd year, Magic will trade him for nothing too
Vlade_Divac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Christ. How did a 2nd year guard who'd done absolutely nothing other than cop an attitude, proclaim himself a leader and yet alienate teammates garner so many fans? The Lakers got rid of a burdensome contract which will land themselves a proven free agent. If the Lakers draft Ball, there'll be no question over who will handle the ball and DAngelo would've been sulking over his leadership role.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
Hell to the NO NO NO!

Lonzo as yet unproven in the NBA will now be given the task of being the "do everything" for an NBA team as opposed to being eased in and developed properly and having a scorer next to him to depend on.

yep and if he's not an all star by his 2nd year, Magic will trade him for nothing too

No need to do everything when you have the Untouchable and PG who will be carrying the heavy load.

I think you're high on DLo.

He could be a nice solid player.

But the cap space intrigues me more.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of Russell, but can see he has some potential if he ever got his head straight. Look at Puig, he was sent down to the minors last season and now looks to be on the path back to being a productive player for the Dodgers. Lakers panicked a bit too soon in my opinion and gave him up when his value is lowest. That's not smart asset management.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I see DLO as a middle tier guard. Maybe his ceiling is Conley. Let's not forget that his stats started looking good on a tanking team after the only other viable offensive weopon - Lou Williams - was traded away.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
I see DLO as a middle tier guard. Maybe his ceiling is Conley. Let's not forget that his stats started looking good on a tanking team after the only other viable offensive weopon - Lou Williams - was traded away.

Exactly. He couldn't beat Lou Williams for minutes. He's the same player after two years with no improvement. He literally averaged 14 points over two years. Not like he averaged 8 as a rookie then 22 this year. No he averaged 13 year one, 15 year two. Lol. Had the same work ethic problems with two different coaches. Advanced stats are nice but not when you fail the eye test and fail regular stats test. Can't go by in life off convoluted stats that don't impact the core game. Magic saw that and we did what we had to do for the franchise to get better.
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Will trading DLO haunt us like when OKC traded Harden?

AFireInside619 wrote:
We all know how devastating it was for OKC when they traded Harden (just to save some money). From NBA Finalists & possible dynasty, to never returning to the NBA Finals again. Harden has become one of the best players in he league and a multiple time MVP candidate.

Do you think the Lakers trading DLO will haunt us for years to come? Discuss if you'd like.

Simply No. No idea why we have a bunch of threads re DLO trade. He is gone get over it.

It was a great trade.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Jesus people look at the game and analyze the game at such a simplistic level.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
I'm not a fan of Russell, but can see he has some potential if he ever got his head straight. Look at Puig, he was sent down to the minors last season and now looks to be on the path back to being a productive player for the Dodgers. Lakers panicked a bit too soon in my opinion and gave him up when his value is lowest. That's not smart asset management.

Tragic is all talk with no viable backup plan.

Going all in for FA 2018 for a man with one foot into retirement when historically we've had only Shaq as our premiere Tier-1 level FA.

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Great One wrote:
Bad trade, but DLO aint Harden

Nobody is anybody until they become somebody. Then one day, you'll say so and so is pretty good, but he ain't no D'LO!
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

IDK about that Harden comparison but it was definitely a horrible trade.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Will trading DLO haunt us like when OKC traded Harden?

AFireInside619 wrote:
We all know how devastating it was for OKC when they traded Harden (just to save some money). From NBA Finalists & possible dynasty, to never returning to the NBA Finals again. Harden has become one of the best players in he league and a multiple time MVP candidate.

Do you think the Lakers trading DLO will haunt us for years to come? Discuss if you'd like.

Four scenarios:

A. We land those mythical max guys and achieve our own success parallel to his success. Then pundits will just say it worked out for both parties.

B. We land those mythical max guys and achieve success, while D'LO doesn't bust out in Brooklyn. Maginka's momentum will continue to grow. Many will eat crow around here including me.

C. We strike out and stay 20- 40 win ball club. Russell balls out. Maginka will get hammered by media and especially LG.

D. We strike out and stay 20-40 win ball club. Russell doesn't bust out. Nobody will care about this episode in our history.

By strike out, I mean not landing both max guys. That's why my scenario above has a range of 20-40 wins. It's because I think we can be close to 40 if we get PG13. But that is still a failure to me because you didn't have to give up D'Lo for PG13.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Will trading DLO haunt us like when OKC traded Harden?

Runway8 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Four scenarios:

A. We land those mythical max guys and achieve our own success parallel to his success. Then pundits will just say it worked out for both parties.

B. We land those mythical max guys and achieve success, while D'LO doesn't bust out in Brooklyn. Maginka's momentum will continue to grow. Many will eat crow around here including me.

C. We strike out and stay 20- 40 win ball club. Russell balls out. Maginka will get hammered by media and especially LG.

D. We strike out and stay 20-40 win ball club. Russell doesn't bust out. Nobody will care about this episode in our history.

By strike out, I mean not landing both max guys. That's why my scenario above has a range of 20-40 wins. It's because I think we can be close to 40 if we get PG13. But that is still a failure to me because you didn't have to give up D'Lo for PG13.

E. Russell is a bust, and no one cares at all.
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject:

Jerry West also said "If you can get a superstar, you get him and build around him". That's what the Lakers are trying to achieve. Some of you are so spoiled with the ease that the Lakers have had when acquiring great players. Just go back and look what we traded to get Kareem.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
IDK about that Harden comparison but it was definitely a horrible trade.

Agreed. I didn't like the trade at all, but I don't think DLo will ever be an MVP-level player like Harden turned out to be.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:

The Russell love is insane.

Omg he put up some nice stats. Cool. Good for him.

Stats are for losers and they don't win you rings.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Comparing DLo to Harden?

Well in 2012, when the Harden trade was made, I would argue that DLO was a similar player to Harden at the time. Then Harden became a Superstar after the trade.

Question; how old were you in 2012?

Probably older than you but thank you for the constructive criticism. You are what makes the internet very special!

ad hominem attacks can be difficult to avoid around here. LOL
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Pretty sure this belongs in the Russell thread in general basketball. That way people can continue to argue over a player on the Nets.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

On an awful team he averaged 15 points shooting around 40%. He lived by the 3pt shot because he wasn't able to generate much towards the basket. He may prove to be very good but I expected a bigger improvement in year 2 and it didn't happen. Luke benching him was eye opening. Byron is old school but Luke isn't so to see that tells you there were lots of people not sold on him. Not to mention 2nd year players with knee issues is a bit alarming.

I didn't love the trade but most experts didn't think Lonzo & Russell could ever work on the defensive end. Maybe it would have worked better with Russell as 6th man and he clearly didn't like that, though maybe that was what Luke wanted to see.

And for the chirping Tragic fans out there, remember that the previous FO signed Mosgov and Deng to horrendous deals. Tragic was what were Jim & Mitch on to even consider such absurd deals. So bad that they couldn't find anyone to take Deng and to unload Mosgov they had to give them DLO. I don't care that no one wanted to come to the Lakers, you don't give out 4 year deals to those guys of that size under any circumstances.
kobedagoat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

Anyone who thinks Dlo and Harden were in the same stratosphere of talent and productivity (respective to the times they were both traded of course) wasn't paying attention or watching games closely enough.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
The Russell love is insane.

Omg he put up some nice stats. Cool. Good for him.

Stats are for losers and they don't win you rings.

Byronism has been back in full force since this trade happened smh
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: