JEANIE: "I don't think there will be a move by the deadline"..........Jeanie Buss + Kurt Rambis On 1540 The Ticket...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel The Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Lionel The Laker wrote:
Uh, what did you expect them to say?

That they're done putting out trash rosters and they're going to get real players.

Quote:
Why would they announce on the radio that the Lakers will make a trade?

Because it would help ticket sales.

Quote:
Please use common sense.

Ok. Common sense--the roster is by and large not good enough, the Lakers are barely holding onto a playoff spot and have a very good chance of not making the playoffs, even with guys staying healthy. It is common sense that they have to make a move or risk missing the playoffs two years in a row.

I'm pretty certain that every guy on that team not named Kobe and maybe Andrew knows that they don't have any job security. They know the deal--they came out and gave it nothing on the biggest stage in the league, so they know they may well get shipped out.

So what, the Lakers actually admitting what everyone already knows and the players know is going to affect things how exactly? And every GM knows they're looking for a deal because they've gotten the phone calls from Mitch.

Common sense would be the Lakers publically stating that these boys had better ball tonight like their jobs depended on it or they'll be shown the door.

But whatever, hush, hush, covert GM ops, plausible deniability--I get it.

Unbelievable. Lord knows I'm not even a Mitchell J Kupchak fan but this is ridiculous. Stevie Wonder can see this roster sucks which is why a trade or trades is happening.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

aint it ironic everyone in the organization is coming out after the New York Times reported the Knicks rejected a Odom for Frye deal? Just my opinion, but it looks like their just saying no trades to prevent Odom's feeling from getting hurt. I predict something will happen.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
I think there will be a major shake-up...

I hope so... :roll:
Lionel The Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:

It makes no sense to announce you have players on the trading block. That's how you get lowballed.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Lionel will this trade help Mitch from not getting fired? has this trade been planned for a long time like the Kwame one.
JayInLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Lionel will this trade help Mitch from not getting fired? has this trade been planned for a long time like the Kwame one.

lol.

I didn't know Lionel was Jerry Buss. Damn!
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

JayInLA ENOUGH!
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Lionel The Laker wrote:
It makes no sense to announce you have players on the trading block. That's how you get lowballed.

No, that would never happen to us . . . oh, it already did? So that's why we $uck.

Actually, although I think it's unlikely that they'll make a trade, why would anyone put any stock in what Jeanie says? The next "management" meeting she attends will be her first. I don't think Hartman or Ireland should be relied on either.

But more importantly, do you realistically think a trade is going to make this team significantly better? Plus, with our recent trade history, there is no way anyone can have confidence that we'll be on the winning side of any transaction. Personally, I'd rather see this team mired in mediocrity, while so many of the experts pontificate about this magical plan they believe in (09 anyone?). Face it - barring a miracle, this organization is done.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Lionel The Laker wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Lionel The Laker wrote:

That they're done putting out trash rosters and they're going to get real players.

Quote:

Quote:
Please use common sense.

Ok. Common sense--the roster is by and large not good enough, the Lakers are barely holding onto a playoff spot and have a very good chance of not making the playoffs, even with guys staying healthy. It is common sense that they have to make a move or risk missing the playoffs two years in a row.

I'm pretty certain that every guy on that team not named Kobe and maybe Andrew knows that they don't have any job security. They know the deal--they came out and gave it nothing on the biggest stage in the league, so they know they may well get shipped out.

So what, the Lakers actually admitting what everyone already knows and the players know is going to affect things how exactly? And every GM knows they're looking for a deal because they've gotten the phone calls from Mitch.

Common sense would be the Lakers publically stating that these boys had better ball tonight like their jobs depended on it or they'll be shown the door.

Unbelievable. Lord knows I'm not even a Mitchell J Kupchak fan but this is ridiculous. Stevie Wonder can see this roster sucks which is why a trade or trades is happening.

Lionel, I hope you're right this team needs a shakeup!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JEANIE: "I don't think there will be a move by the deadline"..........Jeanie Buss + Kurt Rambis On 1540 The Ticket...

orwell wrote:
MasTaFUsion wrote:
JEANIE: "I don't think there will be a move by the deadline".......

Interesting smokescreen...didn't they offer Odom for Frye/Hardaway a couple days ago?

No, they offered a Devean led package. They didn't offer Odom.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

drew4lakers wrote:
I think they are playing it safe.

if they say there is no trade coming, then fans are more prepared if nothing happens.

Plus if they say a trade will happen, then they have to get into who the Lakers might be getting and who they'd be giving up. They could haley the deal and get players on the team looking over their shoulders.

I'm sure almost every player on the Lakers will breather easier on Feb. 24.

No matter what happens, fans will too. Either you'll be pissed nothing happened, complaining about what did happen, or thinking each new player could be an All Star next year. (A little exageration there )

For those that argue nothing will happen, they have history to back them up. For those that argue something will happen, jax has been supportive, even pushing for changes so the argument that the new player/s wouldn't be used doesn't carry as much weight.

It would be naive to assume the guessing games will end on the 24th. Instead the focus will shift to the draft and off season moves. But from here on out, no matter what anyone says, the tension is going to grow thicker by the day. Rumors will explode into huge threads with those excited by the possibility, those disgusted by the proposals, and those who don't want to get their hopes up.

But really, unless they were announcing a trade, I wouldn't have expected a different reply.

The Lakers are unusual in that so many other teams have a vested interest in ruining their plans. Thats fear and memory of such total domination for such a long period of time. Other GMs can be more open and candid because they don't have such a huge target on their back.

We have to try and remember that. As much as i would like to see the Lakers be more candid, they can't afford to be. Thats how our history works against us. I'm sure they aren't planning any trades. But if the right one comes along they will. And if the wrong one comes along I hope they don't.

You know, I don't recall ever having read one of your posts, but this is just superb and well thought out.

Excellent. Keep posting, please. I love calm, rational, well-thought out opinions vs. emotional, tantrumy posts. We just don't get enough of these types around here.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
drew4lakers wrote:
I think they are playing it safe.

if they say there is no trade coming, then fans are more prepared if nothing happens.

Plus if they say a trade will happen, then they have to get into who the Lakers might be getting and who they'd be giving up. They could haley the deal and get players on the team looking over their shoulders.

I'm sure almost every player on the Lakers will breather easier on Feb. 24.

No matter what happens, fans will too. Either you'll be pissed nothing happened, complaining about what did happen, or thinking each new player could be an All Star next year. (A little exageration there )

For those that argue nothing will happen, they have history to back them up. For those that argue something will happen, jax has been supportive, even pushing for changes so the argument that the new player/s wouldn't be used doesn't carry as much weight.

It would be naive to assume the guessing games will end on the 24th. Instead the focus will shift to the draft and off season moves. But from here on out, no matter what anyone says, the tension is going to grow thicker by the day. Rumors will explode into huge threads with those excited by the possibility, those disgusted by the proposals, and those who don't want to get their hopes up.

But really, unless they were announcing a trade, I wouldn't have expected a different reply.

The Lakers are unusual in that so many other teams have a vested interest in ruining their plans. Thats fear and memory of such total domination for such a long period of time. Other GMs can be more open and candid because they don't have such a huge target on their back.

We have to try and remember that. As much as i would like to see the Lakers be more candid, they can't afford to be. Thats how our history works against us. I'm sure they aren't planning any trades. But if the right one comes along they will. And if the wrong one comes along I hope they don't.

You know, I don't recall ever having read one of your posts, but this is just superb and well thought out.

Excellent. Keep posting, please. I love calm, rational, well-thought out opinions vs. emotional, tantrumy posts. We just don't get enough of these types around here.

Agreed. I actually didn't read that post at first, glad you quoted it Jam, made it catch my eye.

Great post drew4lakers.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Lionel The Laker wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Lionel The Laker wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Please use common sense.

You shouldn't bother, Lionel. RG is one of our more predictible anger spewers. Doesn't matter the topic, he has to bash and trash players, management, pretty much anything. He's one of our beloved pessimists and nothing you say is going to change that. He loves the Lakers, but he really has no patience or belief in this crew. It's only a year removed from the start of this rebuild, and you'd think the Lakers organization had been torturing the city of L.A. by never trying to win. Apparently, we haven't accomplished anything as a franchise that warrants a little faith and support from the fans. Or so you'd think.

Such is life...

Last edited by LakerJam on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

there is no realistic reason to believe the lakers will accomplish anything this year with their current roster. i don't believe this, i can't believe this.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see this team mired in mediocrity, while so many of the experts pontificate about this magical plan they believe in (09 anyone?). Face it - barring a miracle, this organization is done.

I give you...the most PATHETIC post of the year!

Talk about bandwagoners.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
aint it ironic everyone in the organization is coming out after the New York Times reported the Knicks rejected a Odom for Frye deal? Just my opinion, but it looks like their just saying no trades to prevent Odom's feeling from getting hurt. I predict something will happen.

The same New York Times that claimed that all Kobe's teammates hated him and that he and Lamar had to be kept apart by bodyguards? You mean, the newspaper that had Kobe so pissed off for spreading flat out lies? Those guys? The ones who were using the Newpaper to try to create flak for Odom so he'd demand a trade?

Oh, yeah, we should take what they say VERY seriously.

Last edited by LakerJam on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
raffi wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see this team mired in mediocrity, while so many of the experts pontificate about this magical plan they believe in (09 anyone?). Face it - barring a miracle, this organization is done.

Talk about bandwagoners.

Agreed.

If your loyalties are that thin, go back on tour and sing about Baby Baluga.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
raffi wrote:

Talk about bandwagoners.

Agreed.

I can't wait till he's proven wrong
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Go Lakers!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
raffi wrote:

Talk about bandwagoners.

Agreed.

This has nothing to do with loyalties - I'm spending $400 a game to support this franchise, and have been for over 10 years. And will continue to do so, because I am a DIE HARD FAN. I have traveled far and wide to support this team/org. - among them going to Game 7 in Sacramento and flying to Detroit for Game 5 in 2004. Going solo, getting jumped for wearing my colors, rooting for them win or lose. Watching every minute of every game, foregoing almost everything else material to be able to watch them play - that's how important this team is to me.

But blind believer/homer I am not - I'll leave that to you guys. I will assume your Lakers roots are really deep - and will respect your right to have opinions, but don't ever pretend to know someone you don't. You want to talk basketball? Come meet me in section 106 (I'm in my gold pullover - usually the only one cheering) - then make your personal comments.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
RG - When have you heard a team that made a deal and actually announced that they were making one before the papers were actually sent?

It's rare.

To say you are an active player, can't help your position in trade talks.

The best trades are ussually made hush-hush without most teams and the media knowing about it.

Ron Artest...Shaquille O'neal...Baron Davis...TMac...on the contrary, it's pretty common.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Lionel The Laker wrote:

Fair enough.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
RG - When have you heard a team that made a deal and actually announced that they were making one before the papers were actually sent?

It's rare.

To say you are an active player, can't help your position in trade talks.

The best trades are ussually made hush-hush without most teams and the media knowing about it.

Ron Artest...Shaquille O'neal...Baron Davis...TMac...on the contrary, it's pretty common.

And in every situation, the team making the trade was unable to get equal value back.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

No trade by the deadline, what a shocker. We'll just let the contracts of George and Medvedenko expire without much benefit from Devean and none from Slava. I truly believe them when they say no trade. Roster sucks you say? So what, it did at this time last year and we were warned no trade and guess what. there was no trade. I hope I'm wrong and the ones saying a trade...I hope you are right, I really do, but I got my hopes up last year, but not this year. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
raffi wrote:

Talk about bandwagoners.

I actually expected a little better from you - looks like you've sunk to the level of these others.

Thanks for taking the quote out of context - true colors shining through.

I'm wrong . . . the Shaq trade was pure genius. And our roster is in great shape - the best $60 million can buy. I hope you guys are never in charge of something important - it'll be sure to fail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: