why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

this is something I just never understood. there's a huge disconnect between how the fans view him and how the FO/coaching staff sees him

why?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

According to ramona, he was a smartass, didn't agree with what others told him, wanted to do things his way

Though Magic may dislike him simply because byron told him

Last edited by Chronicle on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
this is something I just never understood. there's a huge disconnect between how the fans view him and how the FO/coaching staff sees him

why?
Fans dont see what the FO and Coaches see behind close doors and in practice

There is obviously more going on here then the public will most likely never find out.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Because FO is stuck in the 1980s
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

He pissed off two separate FOs and two separate coaches. The common denominator is him, not a conspiracy against him
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
and you are basing this off of what?
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

kobetimeeverytime wrote:

why?

they see the kid day in and day out. obviously they know a lot more than we do. but personally I never really liked the kid. he talks/walks like a superstar when his game is still far from it. he's too slow and unathletic. basically he's not a franchise-changing player. the 3 major blunders of the mitch/jim regime are signing mozdeng and picking DLo at #2. in 1 day, magic/rob got rid of 2 out of 3. case closed.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

kentu_tiro wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:

why?

they see the kid day in and day out. obviously they know a lot more than we do. but personally I never really liked the kid. he talks/walks like a superstar when his game is still far from it. he's too slow and unathletic. basically he's not a franchise-changing player. the 3 major blunders of the mitch/jim regime are signing mozdeng and picking DLo at #2. in 1 day, magic/rob got rid of 2 out of 3. case closed.

You forgot the questionable work ethic.
billyjoegunrak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

kobetimeeverytime wrote:

why?

Who is in the best position to know th full story? The fans, or the people who are actually interacting with the players in the building?

Why is his value on the market so much less than what the fans are billing this player? It is a legitimate question. If Russell was worth all this distraught cool aid drinking, why didn't teams make offers that line up with this?

I think there is a emotional investment made into some of these high draft picks, and trading away these players bursts some bubbles, and it makes people go all sideways.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
and you are basing this off of what?

Tragic Johnson.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Probably because he comes across as a douchebag, doesn't hustle, and rats out his teammates...

I never liked him. Still think it was an awful trade.

To think we were only one pick away from Towns and could have had Porzingis...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

billyjoegunrak wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:

why?

Who is in the best position to know th full story? The fans, or the people who are actually interacting with the players in the building?

Why is his value on the market so much less than what the fans are billing this player? It is a legitimate question. If Russell was worth all this distraught cool aid drinking, why didn't teams make offers that line up with this?

I think there is a emotional investment made into some of these high draft picks, and trading away these players bursts some bubbles, and it makes people go all sideways.

then why trade him now when his value is at the lowest.

It doesn't matter if you like Russell or not, I dont think they maximized the returns from trading him. they could have gotten more
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

CRoost wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:

why?

IF that's the case and Kobe had any input, he would have advocated to have
him shipped out...I mean, Kobe = +work ethic....
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

I think it's that generational issue. Russell probably came off as a very entitled egotistical snowflake
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

How many 20 year olds with a minutes restriction need PRP injections for their bad knees?

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

you're the supposed leader...

you mess with Nick Young and iggy; for laughs..

lose the trust of your peers..

coach(es) lose faith in your ability to lead a locker room..

lead your team to a #2 draft pick..

you criticize picking the rookie with the most press exposure who also happens to be the pres's favorite; just because he's a guard...

you get moved.

The confusion is confusing.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

deal wrote:
CRoost wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:

why?

IF that's the case and Kobe had any input, he would have advocated to have
him shipped out...I mean, Kobe = +work ethic....

Could be. He got shipped out first this offseason.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

Whole lotta guess work, repeated cliché's and no facts so far.

Doubt this thread ever gets any real insight but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
He pissed off two separate FOs and two separate coaches. The common denominator is him, not a conspiracy against him

This is all that matters at the end of the day.

We can speculate and guess as to why, but the only fact is that Byron Scott, Magic Johnson, Luke Walton and Rob Pelinka all apparently became disenchanted with D'Angelo Russell after spending a year with him on an everyday basis.

You can argue the merits of each one of those men, but they're all basketball people who have spend literal decades around the game. I trust their opinion of whether or not they think he was a right fit for the organization going forward.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

The Lakers expected Russell to be a leader in his second year in the NBA and he turned 21 this year, which was a massive ask for someone at that age to do. Reports about his attitude but what the likes of Ding and Ramona report is whatever Jeanie tells them. Byron would have spoken to Magic about Russell which probably didn't help.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
E=MC² wrote:

We can speculate and guess as to why, but the only fact is that Byron Scott, Magic Johnson, Luke Walton and Rob Pelinka all apparently became disenchanted with D'Angelo Russell after spending a year with him on an everyday basis.

You can argue the merits of each one of those men, but they're all basketball people who have spend literal decades around the game. I trust their opinion of whether or not they think he was a right fit for the organization going forward.

i think this trade will motivate Russell to mature and become a great player

but if they never traded him maybe he never lives up to his potential here with the lakers

it's a catch 22
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

The Front office knows their personnel better than anyone on an internet forum does and the fact that people here are whining about the trade shows that there is a huge gap in the confidence between the fans and the front office.

Personally I applauded the trade. DLO was too cool for school and he got shipped out. If he stays healthy he will have a Deron Williams type career, at best.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

Are we gona dump lonzo too when hes not a "leader" by his second year?
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
Username wrote:
E=MC² wrote:

i think this trade will motivate Russell to mature and become a great player

but if they never traded him maybe he never lives up to his potential here with the lakers

it's a catch 22

The new coaching staff was supposed to motivate him. Luke Walton was supposed to be the perfect coach for him. The complete opposite of Byron.

It just didn't work. The team didn't see what they wanted to see.

I hope it works out for Russell. I think he did need time to mature, and needed a fresh start ever since the Nick Young fiasco, and that was never going to happen here.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

I don't know, but like all things, it'll all come out soon. You'll probably here more from the front office end aka Ding & Ramona. But I wouldn't be surprised if I heard from DLO's people too at some point. The best thing for everyone involved is the Lakers limit the DLO bashing & and if it were true, DLO admits to his faults, moves on, and has a great career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: