why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
How many 20 year olds with a minutes restriction need PRP injections for their bad knees?

This and how Dlo apparently alienated even Luke are the only hints I'm clinging to to try to be okay with this trade. On the surface, I think dumping Dlo to get rid of Moz and take on Lopez/27 is a horrific move. Lopez is a very good offensive player, but he's slow as hell on defense, which is not something we need as one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

And you dont think he was better than dlo? Ok. If you want to adjust for age thats absolutely fine. But if we are talking absolute, i stand by my comment. Nick was twice the player

Here's my problem. NVE never fulfilled his upside because his own attitude got in the way. This is where intangibles becomes important.

On one end, you have a senior player, quick, shooting low percentage shots, surrounded by talent, and getting some legit assists.

On the other end, you have a 20/21 year old player, bigger, not as quick, much better reading defenses and making advanced NBA level passes.

Both of them were hitting clutch shots. Dude, imagine what DAR could do with a peak Vlade Divac getting 16/10 and rookie Eddie Jones getting 14/5.

Once again, I can't compare W/L because DAR's teams tanked. NVE was more of a natural PG. DAR, is just a guard, and got to play his natural position for what, 6 weeks? 18.5ppg isn't enough? Small sample, but NVE didn't touch that until his prime age 30.

I mean, you could put them side by side in the same draft, and I'm guessing you go NVE. I wouldn't. What's crazy is, which player has the most upside.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
Bol wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Funny how quick we forget that a 20 year old Kobe was called uncoachable.

Not saying D-Lo is Kobe on the talent level. However, these character issues can be resolved by proper coaching and patience.

At the end of the day - our owner - Jeannie is impatient. She hired a new FO that is impatient. They made an impatient move to move D-Lo despite his talent because of "character" issues.

Plenty of talented professional athletes have evolved from their character issues. Some never do - Johnny Manziel & Beasley - come to mind. We'll see if the FO's bet that D-Lo is nothing special comes true.

The vast majority of us disagree because we're removed from D-Lo the person and we get to watch D-Lo's game. With FO & coaching staff - it's not the case. This trade is a gamble. An impulsive gamble by an impulsive FO with an impulsive owner.

There aren't shortcuts to success. I'm not sure if Pop would have given up on this kid. Steve Kerr gave a chance on Mcgee and look what they reaped from that.

Yup, it appears that the Lakers could care less about player development.

You can't just discount the enormous difference in talent. Some players are worth extra maintenance, some aren't. Also, no one EVER questioned Kobe's work ethic or maturity or professionalism or seriousness about the game. DLO's issues are totally different.

Time will tell. I guess it all depends on how DLO does in Brooklyn.

I think there's a pretty good chance D'Angelo will do well in BRKN. Kenny Atkinson is known as the PG whisperer, this trade will get DAngelo's attention in a way nothing else could have, and while Nets have a huge talent deficiency they have a really good GM and coach and are building smth good there. It's actually a really good situation for him

Last edited by ice_cold on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
They have a pick in the upcoming draft where they can get a kid that many believe will be MUCH better and more impact than D'Lo has been. And the salary dump freed up enough cap space to allow the team to sign Paul George next summer.

He wasn't just gotten rid of for the sake of getting rid of him. They might of had more patience with him if they didn't have Ball on deck and they didn't need the cap space to get George via free agency.

I can say this now because we haven't yet drafted Lonzo Ball... but I wouldn't be surprised to see DLO lighting up the Lakers and Ball every time they meet for the next decade. Just like Fox lit up Ball and UCLA in the tourney.

It's not surprising because Ball isn't a very good defender. He's not being touted for his defense, he's being touted for his play making ability.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Nick has been a decent D league coach. Would have loved to have seen him next to Luke on the bench. He'd be good for Lonzo. He would have been good for D'Angelo.

Throw shade at Nick... And D'Angelo better back it up!

I'm guessing DLO was blowing off Magic when he was trying to educate the young man (remember seeing a practice video to the effect). Yeah, don't piss off your boss... And arguably the greatest basketball players of all time.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
M2K wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
The kid is immature and had problems accepting coaching but he was too talented to just give away in a salary dump. The immaturity is understandable given his age and the current era of social media we live in. I believe he was ready for a breakout season this year and now the Nets will probably benefit from it.

Fans can overlooked a lot of things if a player turns into an All Star and one of the best players in the NBA. DLO was never given a chance despite putting up stats comparable to players like CP3, Harden, Westbrook, etc.

I'm glad Magic AT LEAST didn't trade him to a Western Conference team where DLO is pissed off enough to go for 40+ a game every time he faces the Lakers.

#2 draft pick with talent, swagger, clutch shots and youth... given away on a salary dump. LOL... just a moronic move.

They have a pick in the upcoming draft where they can get a kid that many believe will be MUCH better and more impact than D'Lo has been. And the salary dump freed up enough cap space to allow the team to sign Paul George next summer.

He wasn't just gotten rid of for the sake of getting rid of him. They might of had more patience with him if they didn't have Ball on deck and they didn't need the cap space to get George via free agency.

What's crazy is, when DAR was actually considered a better prospect than Ball, because he was the perfect blend of what Fultz does and what Lonzo does.

The ship has sailed. GMs are not buying it anymore.

yup. Russell amounting to a decent play-maker is nothing but a pipe dream... apart from running the pick and roll, he really isn't adept in making any plays except when he calling his own number, which was successful about 40% of the time.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

I can say this now because we haven't yet drafted Lonzo Ball... but I wouldn't be surprised to see DLO lighting up the Lakers and Ball every time they meet for the next decade. Just like Fox lit up Ball and UCLA in the tourney.

Reminds me of a passage about Wes Matthews (before he joined the Lakers) from the book Showtime by Jeff Pearlman.

Quote:
Most of his new teammates best remembered Matthews from the previous season’s first-round playoff series. The Lakers had swept past the Spurs in three games, winning by an average of 31 points. Late in the third game, with his team once again far behind, Matthews jogged past the Los Angeles bench. “You make your reservations for Club Med yet?” Johnson shouted.

“Yeah, maybe,” replied Matthews, who scored 30 points on 13-for-21 shooting, “but I got mine!”

Without skipping a beat, Johnson smiled. “That was the game plan all along,” he yelled. “You stupid mother-f-cker...”

All of the Lakers— players and coaches— erupted into laughter.

D'Angelo can score all the points he wants and as long as the Lakers win the game.

Last edited by AC Green's V-Card on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakerhi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
He pissed off two separate FOs and two separate coaches. The common denominator is him, not a conspiracy against him

Totally Agee and if anyone else think otherwise their in their fantasy world.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

L.A.T.W wrote:
Bol wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Not saying D-Lo is Kobe on the talent level. However, these character issues can be resolved by proper coaching and patience.

At the end of the day - our owner - Jeannie is impatient. She hired a new FO that is impatient. They made an impatient move to move D-Lo despite his talent because of "character" issues.

Plenty of talented professional athletes have evolved from their character issues. Some never do - Johnny Manziel & Beasley - come to mind. We'll see if the FO's bet that D-Lo is nothing special comes true.

The vast majority of us disagree because we're removed from D-Lo the person and we get to watch D-Lo's game. With FO & coaching staff - it's not the case. This trade is a gamble. An impulsive gamble by an impulsive FO with an impulsive owner.

There aren't shortcuts to success. I'm not sure if Pop would have given up on this kid. Steve Kerr gave a chance on Mcgee and look what they reaped from that.

You can't just discount the enormous difference in talent. Some players are worth extra maintenance, some aren't. Also, no one EVER questioned Kobe's work ethic or maturity or professionalism or seriousness about the game. DLO's issues are totally different.

Kobe was called uncoachable after already having put up multiple All-NBA/All-Defense/All-Star seasons, winning 3 rings and putting up historic/legendary performances. See the difference...?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
L.A.T.W wrote:
Bol wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Kobe was called uncoachable after already having put up multiple All-NBA/All-Defense/All-Star seasons, winning 3 rings and putting up historic/legendary performances. See the difference...?

People do realize how atrocious Kobe's shot selection and defense were during his first couple of years in the league right? Like the rest of the Lakers, despite being All-Star caliber, didn't even exist?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
M2K wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
The kid is immature and had problems accepting coaching but he was too talented to just give away in a salary dump. The immaturity is understandable given his age and the current era of social media we live in. I believe he was ready for a breakout season this year and now the Nets will probably benefit from it.

Fans can overlooked a lot of things if a player turns into an All Star and one of the best players in the NBA. DLO was never given a chance despite putting up stats comparable to players like CP3, Harden, Westbrook, etc.

I'm glad Magic AT LEAST didn't trade him to a Western Conference team where DLO is pissed off enough to go for 40+ a game every time he faces the Lakers.

#2 draft pick with talent, swagger, clutch shots and youth... given away on a salary dump. LOL... just a moronic move.

You're right those are the reasons they did it. And it's important to remember they did and do have a plan. But what's got a lot of ppl pissed off is that there are a lot of WHAT IFs in that plan and if things don't fall the way they expect this will have been a big mistake
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

And you dont think he was better than dlo? Ok. If you want to adjust for age thats absolutely fine. But if we are talking absolute, i stand by my comment. Nick was twice the player

Here's my problem. NVE never fulfilled his upside because his own attitude got in the way. This is where intangibles becomes important.

On one end, you have a senior player, quick, shooting low percentage shots, surrounded by talent, and getting some legit assists.

On the other end, you have a 20/21 year old player, bigger, not as quick, much better reading defenses and making advanced NBA level passes.

Both of them were hitting clutch shots. Dude, imagine what DAR could do with a peak Vlade Divac getting 16/10 and rookie Eddie Jones getting 14/5.

Once again, I can't compare W/L because DAR's teams tanked. NVE was more of a natural PG. DAR, is just a guard, and got to play his natural position for what, 6 weeks? 18.5ppg isn't enough? Small sample, but NVE didn't touch that until his prime age 30.

I mean, you could put them side by side in the same draft, and I'm guessing you go NVE. I wouldn't. What's crazy is, which player has the most upside.

He was sloppy with his passes in his first year and then something clicked in him in the 2nd half of last year. He was making beautiful reads and on point passes. Add in his ability to hit 3's and post up smaller guards. Man...Too bad we never got to see him develop here fully.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

Fans can overlooked a lot of things if a player turns into an All Star and one of the best players in the NBA. DLO was never given a chance despite putting up stats comparable to players like CP3, Harden, Westbrook, etc in his first two years.

As moronic as that may be... if DLO grows into his potential and becomes the next Chris Paul type player... the "basketball reasons" excuse for the Lakers not getting Chris Paul will be replace by the "salary dump" by Magic.

Imagine... having a young Chris Paul on your squad and trading him for... wait for it... wait... for... it.... salary dump and the #27 pick in a draft.

The thing is, the Lakers didn't trade a player anywhere near a young Chris Paul.

Halfway through Paul's rookie season the entire league knew he was going to be a franchise player. No one thought that way about DLo then and no one thinks that way about him now.

If the Lakers had a young Chris Paul, they would be drafting Josh Jackson on Thursday.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
M2K wrote:
JohnWick wrote:

You're right those are the reasons they did it. And it's important to remember they did and do have a plan. But what's got a lot of ppl pissed off is that there are a lot of WHAT IFs in that plan and if things don't fall the way they expect this will have been a big mistake

There are a lot of what if's involved with Russell too. I believe he's going to improve and be an all star one day, I believe with time he'll mature, but none of those things are guaranteed either.

I think people are underestimating just how badly Russell rubbed people. Even Luke soured on him, and that's a guy who spent his rookie season in one of the most toxic locker rooms in NBA history.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Ummmmm
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: why didn't the FO and coaching staff like D'angelo?

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
this is something I just never understood. there's a huge disconnect between how the fans view him and how the FO/coaching staff sees him

why?
Fans see what they want to see when they like a player. very rarely will you here a fan be honest about a player they also like. usually its the fans who dont like the players that go in hard on the player, and the others come to the defense of the player. most people wont tell both sides of the equation. there's some good about him and some bad.

The only person laker fans should've listened to was Byron Scott in regards to DLO. the reason why is that he was the reason we drafted DLO. BYRON wanted DLO to be drafted. He's the one that saw his elite passing ability and thought the kid could be something special.

But that same scott who more or less put his butt on the line for having the FO draft DLO, also told us that DLO use to get to practice like 10 mins before it started and how that would drive scott crazy.

Now some are thinking. well thats early or on time, whats the problem?

THe problem is, DLO was telling people and acting like he was ready to become the MAN. but scott and other players that played with legends(scott played with magic, kareem, james, and kobe.) SO scott knows what it looks like when the bright lights go off and its all about the work. Those guys come into practice hours earlier and leave hours later.

If that aint you. You wont be great. And thats fine. but you can't be a #2 pick for the lakers then. its that simple. dont talk the talk unless you're ready to walk the walk.

Notice when magic came in, he was saying the same stuff...he had to set fitness standards. Telling guys that hey they dont have to workout with kobe. but we will know who does and who doesnt. basically saying, if you want to be great and you're not taking up a greats gesture to work out with him. then you aint ready to be next level great. you may end up being a nice shooter/scorer. that aint a superstar. This is why DLO had to go.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject:

Found this on Reddit:

Zach Lowe and Ramona Shelburne on D'angelo Russell, The Lowe Post Podcast 21 Mar 17 (3 months ago to boot)

Some background: Shelburne is a legitimate source for the Lakers, who has legit insider knowledge on the front office. Zach Lowe is one of if not the best sportswriters of the NBA, and is very objective. I would argue that he has had a very fair, perhaps optimistic view towards the Lakers. In addition, look at the date: March 21st, 2017. This was 3 months ago.
(On D'angelo Russell)
Lowe: Tell me what the Lakers think about D'angelo Russell
Shelburne:It's interesting . . . you don't need me to show any mock drafts to tell you who the top players in this draft are, they're all point guards. They're trying to evaluate how D'angelo would play with them.
L: lately, the last month, he just doesn't look athletic, the finishing has always been bad, some of the games he doesn't have lift and bounce
S: he also had some knee injuries this year
L: the main reason he's so polarizing is because of the knee injuries, both this year and in the past. people think if he doesn't get enough lift, he's gonna have problems
S: they're still trying to figure out how to use him
L: I didn't get the bring off the bench thing I thought that was weird, I don't know if that was sending a message thing, or lackadaisical play
S: I think it's a little both. He also hasn't really been elevating. Turnovers are a symptom of trying too hard, or lackadaisical play . . . in his case some of it is a little both. But if you're not elevating your teammates, making them better while running this system, you gotta sit out.
L: I didn't understand it if its not a message
The writing has been on the wall. Notice how Shelburne gives an ambiguous answer to the Lakers' opinion on Russell: "It's interesting." She then talks about the upcoming draft, even name dropping Lonzo Ball. She knew that the Lakers did not believe in Russell. If you have a (bleep) team, you believe in your best player and let him run wild. Instead, the Lakers made him go on-ball to off-ball, brought him off the bench, etc. They were more concerned about his fit with future teammates. Also, there was clearly something wrong with him, whether it's his injuries or personality issues. I was pissed about the trade yesterday, but the more I think about it, it might have been good to get rid of D'lo. There's a reason why all those lottery teams passed on trading for him, there's a reason why we were forced to always defend him, there's a reason why there were so many trade rumors (that we dismissed as stupid) surrounding him over the past years.
TLDR: We don't know as much as we think
Some of the Lakers' front office's opinions on other players:
(Zubac)
Shelburne: [The Lakers] really like him! They want to see what he can be
(Randle)
Lowe: I am going to die on the Julius Randle hill . . . [he's] a good basketball player, and I want him on my team
Shelburne: I think he's been a surprise for [the Lakers] this year . . . (when he plays poorly) people assume it's laziness, but it's not, it's confidence.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

The title of the thread should be changed to why two front offices and coaching staffs ...

About Nick, if you look at numbers and results he was not really better than Russell. If Russell is inefficient we can tell Nick was even worse and I'm talking about stats not eye test.

The record and the exciting brand of basketball is what makes us feel like he had the upper hand as a player.

It is like I was talking about Ball selection, I don't know if he is going to be the best player, but I love watching him playing. Sometimes it is not about the player you wanted, but the ability to enjoy the way someone plays the game.

Russell has a lot of problems, but he is a highly talented young player. I don't have doubts he is going to be NJ leading scorer soon.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
I think it's that generational issue. Russell probably came off as a very entitled egotistical snowflake

One thing that jumped out at me is I recall a dlo interview after magic got his position and he was asked if he would try to pick magics brain or work with him to improve his game. His answer was along the lines of "oh yea, I would like that, but he hasn't come to me yet"

I was like huh? If I was privileged enough and talented enough to be in dlos shoes I would be going to magic not expecting him to come to me. And I wouldn't care if magic said "let me get back to you" I'd follow up the next day, and the next...what's he gonna say? "Man that guy is just too eager to get better"...opposite would happen "you're annoying as hell but damn I like the initiative, ok let's train, etc"
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject:

Some of the comments in here are downright pathetic. It shows how ignorant some people on here are

The worst one is Blaming him for a 26 win season?

That tells me you are delusional if you thought the team was supposed to be much better.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
CRoost wrote:
The ship has sailed. GMs are not buying it anymore.

I doubt it. I think GMs thought they could smoke Magic, a novice President of Basketball Operations... and one did in the end.

I am sure Magic signed off on the trade but my guess is Pelinka orchestrated it.

This move to me reeks of a smart forward thinking mind with an eye towards competently building a competitive roster under the current CBA.

Of course that doesn't fit the "we hate Magic" mantra that has taken over around here.

Good job Rob!
point-guard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Probably because he comes across as a douchebag, doesn't hustle, and rats out his teammates...

I never liked him. Still think it was an awful trade.

To think we were only one pick away from Towns and could have had Porzingis...

this. i never liked dlo. never saw whats special in him.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

i know on the forum we say Byron and Luke; but leave it to Ireland to shed some light and clarify it wasn't just them personally.

Dlo made impressions on both of their coaching staffs. That adds up to 12 coaches.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Probably because he comes across as a douchebag, doesn't hustle, and rats out his teammates...

I never liked him. Still think it was an awful trade.

To think we were only one pick away from Towns and could have had Porzingis...

Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

Magic is a smooth operator politically and has an amazing amount of goodwill in the media.

He went on national television and openly lobbied for someone's existing job. Absolutely no backlash.

He went and traded a #2 pick prematurely by one year, and for cap space only. Absolutely no backlash.

Unreal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: