Expectations For Lonzo Ball.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

I can see him getting repeatedly swatted in lowlight reels in his rookie season
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
9 Points, 6 Assists & 3 Rebounds as a Rookie

The boards are too low (I'll go 4-4.5 rpg), but that seems reasonable. I love his long-term outlook, but short-term he's going to struggle if they try to force him into being a higher usage PnR guard.

Tbh, my excitement for him without Russell has really started waning. I hope they take Smith, Jr at #2 at this point.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

I expect Phoenix or Sacramento will love him after we draft Fox
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
9 Points, 6 Assists & 3 Rebounds as a Rookie

The boards are too low (I'll go 4-4.5 rpg), but that seems reasonable. I love his long-term outlook, but short-term he's going to struggle if they try to force him into being a higher usage PnR guard.

Tbh, my excitement for him without Russell has really started waning. I hope they take Smith, Jr at #2 at this point.

never fear....JC is still here
FromTheWestSideWithLove
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Rookie of the year ! Lets get it

- G.O.A.T.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
danzag wrote:
If he doesn't average 20/6/6 right away our fan base will hate him.

Nah. The fan base is terribly forgiving when we draft the guy we want. His treatment will be closer to Ingram than Russell.

Good point.

I'll have a tough time digesting Fox if we pass on Ball and Jackson.

Ball is the main reason I'm overly excited about next summer league. I don't expect him to be "the guy", but I believe he has a huge potential to make all the guys look good.

It is not even about the player you want because I believe Fultz is the complete package, but I really enjoy the way Ball plays the game so it is more about finding the player's game enjoyable than the name on the jersey.

Last edited by nash on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

The problem with Ball is he has to be around good shooters to look good.
And the Lakers gave away their best shooter to the Nets. Young was their best shooter not coming back.

Lonzo is not going to look good the first year. He might pass to open man who will clank the shot. He will look bad chasing fast PGs.

If Lonzo goes to Phoenix it might be better for him. That team is ready for running and a fast pace.

Fox with his better defense might be a better fit for the half court Lakers which what they will will be when they get the max FAs.
They will not get the FAs like they wish. Maybe another Mosgov/Deng re run.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
I expect him to be the first LA Laker to win Rookie of the Year. Baylor won when the team was still in Minnesota.

Nah, I think Ben Simmons can win it this year because he didn't play last year...he will put up some fat inefficient numbers and win it easily.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
And the Lakers gave away their best shooter to the Nets. Young was their best shooter not coming back.

Lonzo is not going to look good the first year. He might pass to open man who will clank the shot. He will look bad chasing fast PGs.

If Lonzo goes to Phoenix it might be better for him. That team is ready for running and a fast pace.

Fox with his better defense might be a better fit for the half court Lakers which what they will will be when they get the max FAs.

Russell shot barely above 40% last year, down from his rookie year....JC was at 44%...get a hold of yourself man, he wasn't our best shooter.
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Depends on whether we get pg13. Right now he has Ingram/Jules/Jc on the wings. Not exactly formidable.

I dont know. Maybe the lakers trading one of the "coveted" (by laker fans) prospects for a salary dump might light a fire in their asses. Maybe jules will be shooting half court 3s in no time?
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

He will willing pass the ball and other players will be happy and the team will have better chemistry. Not sure how good he will be but he does have a rare attitude/mindset and that will be fun and refreshing to watch. I watched every UCLA game last year because of him.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

What just happened is really interesting. I was never an English major and so words get lost in translation, and I can't perfectly articulate the disappointment in the Russell trade. But I guess the disappointment stems from this being the first time in all my years of following the Lakers, that they traded away a prospect without knowing exactly yet what he will or will not be. I guess if you live long enough, you will experience everything.

I never cared about our young prospects because we were too busy winning and counting chips. The first time I started caring and the first young prospect I was attached to was Vlade Divac. That was because Showtime was winding down, and Kareem retired. Nobody was excited about Mychal Thompson. He was already old and we already knew he was a career role player. So we were all excited about Vlade and he proved to have upside in his rookie year. We were able to enjoy him for 7 yrs. I didn't mind dealing him to clear way for 25 yrs old Shaq, and this 18 yr old high school kid named Kobe Bryant. But between Vlade and Kobe, there were George Lynch, Nick Van Excel, Anthony Peeler and Eddie Jones. We got to enjoy them for a bit, they formed the LAKE SHOW of the 90's. My attachment and hopeful aspirations for Nick and Eddie would be equivalent to Russell and Ingram or something. BTW, Lynch and Peeler were also part of the cap clearing for Shaq. It didn't hurt as much because of what we were getting back, and we had also seen enough to know that Lynch, Peeler were going to be role players. Vlade was going to continue being a solid starting center in the league.

Then when we didn't win with Shaq and fingers started pointing, out goes Nick and Eddie. Again those departures didn't hurt because we've already seen what they were and were not, and we were all excited about clearing minutes for Kobe. Then comes Andrew Bynum 2005. He were all stoked at his improvements and what a monster he was going to become. By the time we got rid of him, we saw enough inconsistencies, knee issues, etc. And we were being sold on Howard/Nash/Kobe dream team. It kept us occupied, and not too upset.

Then comes Julius, Russell, Ingram and here we are. We just gave away the struggles of the 2014 season, all in the name of dumping a contract. A 21 yr old kid with tremendous upside. First time in my 30+ yrs following Lakers, we gave up on somebody without clearly knowing what he is or isn't. Every home grown that we traded away that I listed above were all 25 yrs or older and we had already seen enough. This kid is 21. The Lakers have benefited from other teams plucking them for their vets, then turn around and draft guys like Magic, Worthy, Kobe. I just have a feeling this trade is going to haunt us. It's going to be one of those stories for the Nets. About how we plucked them for an expiring vet in exchange for this 21 yr old kid, who ends up being a great player.

And why I'm especially upset is because it's not for something I believe in. I believed in a 25 yr old 300 pound dominant center. Yes, do all we can to get this guy from Orlando! Having watched 20 yrs of Kobe, I do not believe in Paul George, and I do not believe in this plan to match up George with some other max guy, all in the name of being COMPETITIVE. The end result of this plan by Magic and Rob, if all things go well, is that we're going to sell tickets and be competitive. You're not beating the Warriors, and PG13 will age in parallel with the guys in GS. If Lebron is our other guy, he already has one foot in retirement.

Ultimately, we'll only know how to truly feel about this trade in a couple years. Heck, maybe this upcoming season will give us the answer. If D'LO is still around 13 pts, questions about attitude in NJ, I won't feel as bad. If he blows up in New Jersey. Then I will feel exactly as I do today.

And to answer the thread's question. Whoever we draft at #2 will get my support, and I will have high expectations for him as I did for all the draft picks in our history.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I don't expect much tbh. Not because I dont like the kid but he's a kid. its gonna take awhile. If he balls out from day one and makes an immediate impact great, but I wont be surprised if he comes in and struggles too.

And Jesus Christ, that shot.

What if he blows all of us away and becomes the next magic or kidd? This kid has been brought up to play basketball, and understands the game in a different way. He's also been brought up to respect others and work hard.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
I expect him to be the first LA Laker to win Rookie of the Year. Baylor won when the team was still in Minnesota.

Nah, I think Ben Simmons can win it this year because he didn't play last year...he will put up some fat inefficient numbers and win it easily.

I'm aware that Simmons is eligible. I just think Lonzo will outperform him.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Expectations just went through the roof for him, that's all I know. And I'm not talking about mine, but the just general fan base and media population. With DLo, not only is the transition easier in terms of having another experienced guard to lean on (and one well versed in the PnR that can create something for himself out of nothing if the offense breaks down), but someone who can absorb some of the criticism that may come his way should things not go well next season. Now, he's going to be a lightning rod, plain and simple. The kid is going to be expected to turn this thing around right away, and I'm pretty sure he's not capable of that by himself in Year 1, at least. There's going to be a transition period, and I just hope people don't bury him during it.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

12points
5 assists
4 rebounds.
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

If we somehow get PG13 with Ball on the team still I expect Ball to put up 11/6/4 on 45/38/75 shooting percentages. Without PG13 it'll be a struggle year for him.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

expectations? I "expect" he'll be somewhere else by the time the 2nd round starts up and all these trades start going through
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I think that Lonzo will be play great...... in Indy or Sacto.

Bleep Magic!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Russell shot barely above 40% last year, down from his rookie year....JC was at 44%...get a hold of yourself man, he wasn't our best shooter.

Shooting = 3FG%, come on now
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

10/6/5 is my guess

Could see him with 48/34/65 splits
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

If he's not a star in 2 years, he'll be traded to the Nets.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
danzag wrote:
If he doesn't average 20/6/6 right away our fan base will hate him.

And Magic will attach him to Deng and ship his ass and shoes out.

oh geez I hope not
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Seriously guys, don't get too attached to Lonzo. Magic is going to do something stupid.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I expect Brook Lopez to have a career best year playing with Lonzo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: