Can someone explain the rationale behind signing Deng and Mozgov in the first place?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can you understand the rationale behind signing MozDeng in the first place?
Yes, it was a completely reasonable move which just didn't work out.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Yes, it was a bad move, but I understand the rationale behind it and it was not insane or anything.
20%
 20%  [ 15 ]
No, it was totally insane.
75%
 75%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 72

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Can someone explain the rationale behind signing Deng and Mozgov in the first place?

The trade defenders are citing this as a win because it clears up Mozgov's contract. My question is this: Why not just not sign Mozgov and Deng in the first place? Then you can get to keep both cap space and the young players...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

Haha. Of course that's better.

It had everything to do with Jim's stupid self-imposed deadline and Jeanie's insistence on holding him to it, ie the stupid (bleep) power struggle.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:

It had everything to do with Jim's stupid self-imposed deadline and Jeanie's insistence on holding him to it, ie the stupid (bleep) power struggle.

So basically, he knew it was a stupid move but thought that Deng and Mozgov would somehow provide a chance of getting back to the WCF?...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory here, but ....
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

Come on man, we're just trying to forget it happened, stop reminding us !!!
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Math wrote:

So basically, he knew it was a stupid move but thought that Deng and Mozgov would somehow provide a chance of getting back to the WCF?...

He overpaid (by a lot) because our franchise was in the dumper and we were having a hard time signing FAs.

And it was a shortsighted move meant to help meet an arbitrary deadline of making the playoffs, and thus keeping his job, while sacrificing long term cap flexibility. Turns out it didn't even work in the short term.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:

Yup. He had to win now at the expense of the future.

I remember when we kept waiting for the contract details to come out and see how many team option years were on the contracts.... then we found out that all 4 years were guaranteed for each. Man that was brutal.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

My headcanon:

Mitch and Jim were expecting there to be another amnesty clause in the new CBA. Many expected it to be there but at the end they didn't include one

With the amnesty clause they would have been able to waive one THIS YEAR and completely take that player off the salary cap

Last edited by Chronicle on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

It was veteran leadership for a youth rebuild. The Lakers had to (or decided to, if you prefer) overpay because they were a 17 win team with a dysfunctional ownership/ coaching/ free agent reputation. Doubt the plan was to trade them after one season.

That plan changed with the new Magic/Jeanie regime

Now the Lakers appear to have changed from a long term rebuild to a short term win now philosophy. And as with all dramatic changes of this kind there are ramifications.

By aggressively trying to trade for George and dumping cap to "sign max players" next year the clock and timetable has changed. Lakers now must challenge to win it all in the next 2-4 years or this is a mistake.

Enjoy the ride Laker fans!

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

To make the playoff but we were wrong
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

The Nash deal turned out much worse, but at least I understood the rationale for it at the time. Same with the Howard trade.
But the Mosgov and Deng signings made no sense on any level---paying near-superstar salaries to marginal players on a team that had no chance of being very good.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

The short version was they were supposed to help the young guys compete and get the team into the middle of the pack where the remaining cap room could sign a star, and then trades and whatnot flesh out a contending team.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Hence one of the big reasons Jim & Mitch are gone. No explanation to sign them to those contracts, especially a 4 years. That was the big WTF moment of those contracts was the length.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

Jim and Mitch felt they had to do something. They should have listened to John Wooden.

"Don't mistake activity with achievement" ~ John Wooden
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

vakobe wrote:
The Nash deal turned out much worse, but at least I understood the rationale for it at the time. Same with the Howard trade.
But the Mosgov and Deng signings made no sense on any level---paying near-superstar salaries to marginal players on a team that had no chance of being very good.

But the Cap went up! LOL.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The short version was they were supposed to help the young guys compete and get the team into the middle of the pack where the remaining cap room could sign a star, and then trades and whatnot flesh out a contending team.

But Mozgov and Deng are scrubs...

markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

Here is what was most insane of all. Even if we would have waited for the contracts to come off the books, that would have been useless to the Lakers for improving the team---because by that time, the young players' salaries would have jumped up putting us over the cap. They were thus in effect tying up our cap flexibility for an entire generation!

I am a huge fan of DLo, and it was very painful to see him go. But I understand why this step was taken. It seems like the Nets were one of the few teams willing to absorb the huge salary hit of taking on Mozgov, and their willingness to do so was dependent on moving out Lopez's expiring contract. That opportunity was fleeting and might have disappeared if Magic/Pelinka didn't act fast. They swallowed a very bitter pill in order to avoid a miserable long-term situation.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Desperation after Aldridge spurred them.

Meeting minimum team salary threshold.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

Because Jeanie put the screws to Jim to have results now, evidenced by him wanting to trade Ingram for Cousins. Prior to that Jim was content with the organic rebuild.
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

Worst free agent signings of the last 10 years. Too bad we replaced those idiots Jim and Mitch with possibly an even bigger idiot in Magic.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Jim/Mitch got a wind that they will be canned for the (bleep) job they did, so to screw the next FO they signed Moz/Deng to their outrageous contract. Put up thier middle finger to say see what you can do now. LMAO

And now we blame our current FO for their moves when they are starting in a deep hole.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

They are two of the worst signings in recent history. Add J. Noah with the Knicks and those are three of the worst contracts from the last off season. The worst part I think is that we just broke free of Kobe's ridiculous contract (he earned it but did the team no favors).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
Worst free agent signings of the last 10 years. Too bad we replaced those idiots Jim and Mitch with possibly an even bigger idiot in Magic.

#BussKids
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
My headcanon:

Mitch and Jim were expecting there to be another amnesty clause in the new CBA. Many expected it to be there but at the end they didn't include one

With the amnesty clause they would have been able to waive one THIS YEAR and completely take that player off the salary cap

I'm 100% certain that was the case and that was a huge mistake. They would amnesty one of the contracts after 1 or 2 years and try to carry on the other as long as possible, maybe stretching on year 3. Actually most people were not concerned about the money, but the length of the contracts.

It's good to remember there was a poll here before the start of the season and most (myself included) voted Deng would be our best player of the season. And so did ESPN when including him as the only Laker in the Top-100 players back then.

Last edited by Eindhoven on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
It was veteran leadership for a youth rebuild. The Lakers had to (or decided to, if you prefer) overpay because they were a 17 win team with a dysfunctional ownership/ coaching/ free agent reputation. Doubt the plan was to trade them after one season.

That plan changed with the new Magic/Jeanie regime

Now the Lakers appear to have changed from a long term rebuild to a short term win now philosophy. And as with all dramatic changes of this kind there are ramifications.

By aggressively trying to trade for George and dumping cap to "sign max players" next year the clock and timetable has changed. Lakers now must challenge to win it all in the next 2-4 years or this is a mistake.

Enjoy the ride Laker fans!

That pretty much sums it up. That huge spike in the cap last year caused a lot of panic buys and we were among the worst. I was surprised it failed so miserably though. Deng was solid in Miami the previous season and I expected to see a lot more passing and dive cuts which is what Moz does well. I think GT even did a video breakdown of it before last season and I was excited to see a center who wasn't nailed to the floor like Hibbert.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: