Phil Having a Rough Day
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Phil Having a Rough Day

First he undercuts Melo's trade value by saying he should play somewhere else and then "team sources" report that Unicorn skips the exit meetings because he's frustrated. Ouch.

"We've not been able to win with [Anthony] on the court at this time," Jackson said. "I think the direction with our team is that he's a player that would be better off somewhere else and using his talent somewhere where he can win or chase that championship."

Kristaps Porzingis skipped exit meetings with New York Knicks management due to frustration over what he perceives as the dysfunction and drama surrounding the organization, team sources told ESPN.com.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Porzingis to the Lakers after the rookie contract is over?
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Porzingis to the Lakers after the rookie contract is over?

Why wait until then. I'd offer our top 3 pick (if we are able to keep it).
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Kind of sad what's going on over there, but oh well. Magic, it might be time to wave the wand for the first time...he's a pretty solid big man.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

While the NY media has no doubt blown all this out of proportion...A 21 year old, 2nd year foreign player that is probably just happy to be in the NBA didn't do something like this without someone whispering in his ear. I think it's pretty sad that he's being used by someone he calls a friend without even realizing it. Power moves is not something is you want or expect out a 21 year old kid from Latvia.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject:

Phil rightfully should take a lot of the blame for constructing such a poor roster, thinking Rose and Noah were solutions as well as taking all of these shots at Melo but it's also on Anthony not being such an ego maniac and not getting out of such a poisonous situation sooner as well as not adapting himself to the trend of the NBA. Knicks will be much better off when Melo and Phil are both gone
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

Next up... Porzingis:

“No, I don’t (think he’s ready). He’s 21 years old. That’s a big load for anybody to take on,” Jackson said. “But he’s shown that he’s competitive. He’s shown that he’s got a sense of desire to win, etcetera. So we’re really pleased with how he’s developed. I think he had some concern this year about physicality, not being able to stand up to all the games physically with his Achilles tendon, back, etcetera.”

Phil's firesale... everybody!!!
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

Phil is an absolute train wreck as a basketball executive.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Phil rightfully should take a lot of the blame for constructing such a poor roster, thinking Rose and Noah were solutions as well as taking all of these shots at Melo but it's also on Anthony not being such an ego maniac and not getting out of such a poisonous situation sooner as well as not adapting himself to the trend of the NBA. Knicks will be much better off when Melo and Phil are both gone

That Noah contract was awful and I never understood it, but that roster isn't particularly poor. You put any actual superstar in Melo's place and that's likely a playoff team. The only difference between a team like the Pacers or Bucks and the Knicks is that those teams each have a legit star player, while the Knicks only have one in name and salary. Even the Thunder don't have that much more talent outside it's star.

Melo's just not enough anymore to lead a team to the playoffs as the top option. The problem is that he thinks he is, but doesn't want to do any of the things a star player does to lead their team, except shoot, of course.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

They're two of the most overrated NBA figures in their respective positions of this generation. This was always gonna end this way.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

What happens if Phil can't trade Melo? Can you say awkward......
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Continuing to antagonize Melo is certainly an interesting move. He's probably the only star player in the league that actually wants to be a Knick. I don't see how this helps Phil or Melo or The Knicks. Phil is looking for a scapegoat, per usual, but this situation is entirely his. The roster has been completely constructed by him. He picked the coach. They're running his system. They can't properly move on from Melo because he gave him a NTC. All of this is on Phil, no matter how many times he reminds us that he didn't take a jump shot or make a substitution.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Melo can be released to the tune of $54 mil (cha-ching) then he sign somewhere else for more $
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

I would've guessed the only team Melo leaves for is for the Clippers but there was a lot of smoke and no fire there. It would've gave him as good of a situation to win a championship as he'll ever get. I'm sure Melo wants to stay a Knick since New York is pretty much his home now, but the situation has devolved so much that he would waive his no trade clause just so he can finally play for a better team.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I actually think there's a decent chance that Melo ends up a Laker, although Phil's relationship w/Jeanie complicates that.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I actually think there's a decent chance that Melo ends up a Laker, although Phil's relationship w/Jeanie complicates that.

what we giving up?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

what we giving up?

Deng, Mozgov, and a 2025 top 50 protected 2nd rounder
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

what we giving up?

Deng, Mozgov, and a 2025 top 50 protected 2nd rounder

make that top 59 and we have a deal
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I hope I never hear this again. Melo and Phil can stay where they are and do whatever they like to each other. Just don't ruin our young players.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Clarkson and Deng for Melo is something that could intrigue both sides.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I want to hate this idea, but I don't.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I understand we can dump contracts like Deng and the price is Melo, but unless we're buying him out I say no thanks. His style of play is completely counter productive to what we want to do. Bring in Melo here and say goodbye to ball movement
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I understand we can dump contracts like Deng and the price is Melo, but unless we're buying him out I say no thanks. His style of play is completely counter productive to what we want to do. Bring in Melo here and say goodbye to ball movement

I'm not so sure about that. He led a team to 54 wins before everything fell apart around him in NY. And if it doesn't work out it's only 2 years. You can stretch or let expire. Trading him is easier as an expiring after a year. And you get out of THREE years of paying Deng. Make no mistake, I have my reservations about him too, but that seems like a win-win to me.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

That's the basic framework of a deal that I was thinking as well.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
22 wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. He led a team to 54 wins before everything fell apart around him in NY. And if it doesn't work out it's only 2 years. You can stretch or let expire. Trading him is easier as an expiring after a year. And you get out of THREE years of paying Deng. Make no mistake, I have my reservations about him too, but that seems like a win-win to me.

He's not remotely close to that same player. I'm with @22 on this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: