OFFICIAL KYLE KUZMANIA THREAD (will wear kobe's shoes p346)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 348, 349, 350  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 7945
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Kuzma looks to have a lot more offensive talent than Nance.

I expect that he will struggle on defense.

His 3 point shooting is the real deal. 10 games in College + Summer league He has been lights out.

I doubt the Lakers expected him to be available when the made the Russell Trade.

Russell trade made to get rid of Moz + they didn't like Russell fit on the team

We were lucky on Russell trade Kuzma makes this trade a good one for us

Kuzman is a rookie but he makes Nance expendable by trade deadline unless the decide that Randle is not a long term answer then they will trade him.

Expect some struggles but kid is really well rounded and just scratching his potential. Will be in rotation.


I think you may be underestimating his defensive acumen. Sure he will struggle initially like all rookies do, but I believe that defense will end up being one of his strengths. Per his coach at the SPL, Kuzma was directing the defense while he was on the floor, talking to people and telling them where to go.

To me this demonstrates the willingness to invest time and effort in playing defense on his part. IMO willingness to play D is more than half the battle when it comes to becoming a good defender.

The other part of being a good defender is obviously your physical tools. Kuz has good speed and quickness for his size and decent length. Not going to be a great post defender, but I believe he will be a valuable perimeter defender.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 32441
Location: Torrance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Does he have the highest shooting ceiling of anyone on the team?
_________________
Smash-mouth basketball - Alive and kicking (2018-).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 6477

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Does he have the highest shooting ceiling of anyone on the team?

I asked google and this is what I got back
https://www.google.com/search?q=kyle+kuzma+age&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAx8SX0tfVAhVI3IMKHWAdB3UQvwUIIygA&biw=1536&bih=759&dpr=1.25

I'm going to say no
_________________
"It was tough," Kobe Bryant said. "But when it got really tough for me, I just checked myself in."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 3649

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
2K was tripping

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXs_5r0hYfz/

#3 pick vs. #27 pick. His initial rating is going to be lower.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31985

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
“I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless […] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so we’re really, really excited about him.”

_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Oct 2001
Posts: 8194

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
“I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless […] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so we’re really, really excited about him.”


I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 19394

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
“I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless […] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so we’re really, really excited about him.”


I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.


I think too that when Rob mentioned Kuzma being positionless, it's even more conformation that Kuzma will get more minutes at the wing position as well.

Which is great because I REALLY DON'T WANT to see crap like Brewer and Deng there.
_________________
This Signature is now sponsored by Big Baller Brand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9200

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
“I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless […] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so we’re really, really excited about him.”


I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.


I think too that when Rob mentioned Kuzma being positionless, it's even more conformation that Kuzma will get more minutes at the wing position as well.

Which is great because I REALLY DON'T WANT to see crap like Brewer and Deng there.


Brewer is an expiring contract... trade value

Deng... expiring 3 yr contract...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
naha
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 13 Aug 2017
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

This kid is good. I watch a lot of Pac 12 basketball and this kid can play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 7425
Location: Left coast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
“I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless […] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so we’re really, really excited about him.”


I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.

Clear thinking wise posters make it clear that we should beware of the next Tierre Brown, Laron Profit, or Devin Ebanks. Ok, fair enough. We're cautioned that Summer Leagues are filled with scrub competition. Still, Kuzma was the top (co?) defender in the Pac 12. Then he got on the radar in a deep draft with an excellent performance against talented guys.

Unfortunately, 80% Combine shooting was too good to be true but he confidently shot 48% during the next 8 games, including defenders he will see again, such as Jason Tatum and Hollis-Jefferson. He was every bit as good as Tatum, and showed he won't be stopped by Jefferson's highly rated d. Kuzma showed me the relentlessness and quickness I want to see in every player, even when he switched to someone small. Like they say about Lonzo, you can't teach that.

We all saw it. We can pretend that any of the past comparisons performed well more than a game or 2. This guy wasn't just hot one day, he sustained a high level of play that included a lot of special things on both ends. His ability will force him into the rotation. Once he gets there, because of his agressiveness, he will be more effective for Lonzo than TJ Leaf. No way these guys, with improving returnees, a deep quality bench, and Lopez and KCP, finish below .500

Pelinka has seen what he has up close and is apparently is more excited about Kuzma than people who want to be sure he's for real.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 7425
Location: Left coast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

One thing I like about Kuzma is that his defense should light a fire under Randle that he better be giving his best or someone else who's capable will. Also, Nance has to be willing to take and make or miss shots. Be a threat, because playing time is no longer guaranteed.

No doubt Lonzo will have a positive effect on this team. I think Kuzma will too and there will be a cultural change in aggressive team play, as well as on defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Oct 2001
Posts: 8194

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Kuzma showed me the relentlessness and quickness I want to see in every player ... you can't teach that.


Competitors

The major will to win
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93705
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Very excited about Kuz. Finally gives us some 3 point shooting at the PF position, something Jules/Nance haven't given us at this point.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

In comparing Randle, Nance and Kuzma, Kuzma is the most versatile offensively and Nance is the best defender of these three. In the very near future Randle will be the most expensive of the three to keep. If the Lakers intend to sign two max contracts next year , his salary extension may become an issue. In this coming season if Randle plays like 1/2 of Lebron 2.0 or by some miracle of God Lakers are able to trade Deng with maybe another player like Clarkson are 2 of a few far out scenarios that helps Randle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 15276
Location: SFV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Unless randle has as draymond green type renaissance I think he gets traded for assets. Maybe as a package to unload deng and leave 2019 room.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 8006

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Very excited about Kuz. Finally gives us some 3 point shooting at the PF position, something Jules/Nance haven't given us at this point.


2016-17 PFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Frye, Anderson, Ibaka, Love, Porzingis, Ilyasova, M Williams

2016-17 SFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Porter Jr, CJ Miles, Snell, Crowder, Hayward, George, Galo, Kawhi, Durant, Ross, LeBron, Melo

That's 19 guys in the league at forward who shoot a good % at a material volume.

I want to see Kuzma join that list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16397

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
In comparing Randle, Nance and Kuzma, Kuzma is the most versatile offensively and Nance is the best defender of these three. In the very near future Randle will be the most expensive of the three to keep. If the Lakers intend to sign two max contracts next year , his salary extension may become an issue. In this coming season if Randle plays like 1/2 of Lebron 2.0 or by some miracle of God Lakers are able to trade Deng with maybe another player like Clarkson are 2 of a few far out scenarios that helps Randle.


Kuzma's not more versatile offensively than Randle.

Kuzma can hit threes does not equal more versatility.

Kuzma can hit threes.

Randle is better than him in the fast break offense
Randle doesn't need another point guard to set up his offense in the fast break as he can do it himself while handling the ball.
Randle's better at creating offense in the half court
Randle can get his own shot off against NBA competition in an Iso situations.
He is a better passer and playmaker in the fast break.
He's a better finisher in general.


The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.


This just echo's when people were saying how Nance was more versatile than Randle and would take his starting spot after his Summer League performance as well.

Randle isn't the guy that should be worried about Kuzma's emergence. Nance, Deng and Zubac should be.

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Very excited about Kuz. Finally gives us some 3 point shooting at the PF position, something Jules/Nance haven't given us at this point.


2016-17 PFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Frye, Anderson, Ibaka, Love, Porzingis, Ilyasova, M Williams

2016-17 SFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Porter Jr, CJ Miles, Snell, Crowder, Hayward, George, Galo, Kawhi, Durant, Ross, LeBron, Melo

That's 19 guys in the league at forward who shoot a good % at a material volume.

I want to see Kuzma join that list


Would be nice, if he could do that I'd see him playing a lot of backup 3 and Deng could be in trouble.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2001
Posts: 2979

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Randle isn't the guy that should be worried about Kuzma's emergence. Nance, Deng and Zubac should be.
If Kuzma emerges as a PF who can hit the 3 and play strong defense, Randle should worry too. The above discussion was all about offensive abilities. My hope is that Walton is going to require some defensive effort to get significant minutes this next year. If Walton gets significantly better defense from Kuzma than Randle, Randle is going to find himself sitting on the bench quite a bit. Until we see Kuzma against real NBA players, however, this is all hypothetical.

Actually, I would also remove Deng's name and add Brewer's to your list. Until I see otherwise, I think Deng will have injuries for the rest of his career that will keep him from playing even a moderate amount of minutes. He has a great contract for 3 more years, why should he worry? He should be the happiest guy in the Southern California.

Brewer, on the other hand, may lose a significant amount of playing time. Magic has already stated that he wants Kuzma to play sf. If that pans out, Brewer is going to have a hard time getting off the bench and, subsequently, getting his next contract.
_________________
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. --Mark Twain

Scientists say that the universe is full of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons.--Unknown
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 59781
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:

The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.


I'd definitely argue this.

With Kuzma, with my romper room magnifying glass, I see:
Better court vision
Better floor recognition/decision-making
Better switch defense (surprised me when he went onto wings)
Better HC execution, explores offensive options, but doesn't stop ball
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Troy Brown, Kevin Huerter, Chandler Hutchison, De'Anthony Melton, Jerome Robinson, Aaron Holiday, Bruce Brown, Donte Divincenzo, Josh Okogie
Jarred Vanderbilt, Landry Shamet, Alize Johnson
@Lakersoutsiders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23146

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I would save judgment on who I like better (Julius vs Kyle) after I see Julius playing with Lonzo first. And then I'd like to see Kyle do the same against non-summer league guys.

After that, I think we'll have a better idea.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 28967

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

The Kuz/Randle debate is fun. Can't wait to see it play out. Personally prioritize shooting
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 32441
Location: Torrance

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Kuz/Randle debate is fun. Can't wait to see it play out. Personally prioritize shooting


Shooting

Defense

and then whatever else is left.
_________________
Smash-mouth basketball - Alive and kicking (2018-).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 36105
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.


I'd definitely argue this.

With Kuzma, with my romper room magnifying glass, I see:
Better court vision
Better floor recognition/decision-making
Better switch defense (surprised me when he went onto wings)
Better HC execution, explores offensive options, but doesn't stop ball


Adding to that:

Better rolling off the screen.
Better popping off the screen.
Better when changing ends off the ball (kind of a big deal with Lonzo...hopefully Randle figures this out).
Defensively, way better at communication.

Like epak said, it will be interesting to see how Julius adapts to playing with Zo. Maybe he cleans up some of his areas.

The decision will likely be down to whether he gets it done on the defensive end. We've got to figure out keeping Randle vs. Lopez vs. Clarkson vs. KCP vs. free agent. If the light bulb doesn't go off or energy isn't there on D for Julius, then Kuzma and Nance are cheaper alternatives even if Randle turns out slightly better impact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 28967

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Kuz/Randle debate is fun. Can't wait to see it play out. Personally prioritize shooting


Shooting

Defense

and then whatever else is left.


100% , from the PF position. Playmaking is ancillary, and Kuzma provides enough of it, while arguably doing it in a more efficient style than Randle

I give Kuzma the defensive edge as well, although I'm interested to see if Randle can indeed improve to Average on that end (being better conditioned) . Kuz probably won't be average himself his rookie year, so that side of the ball will be "meh" for both players this year, in my assumption
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 28391

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.


I'd definitely argue this.

With Kuzma, with my romper room magnifying glass, I see:
Better court vision
Better floor recognition/decision-making
Better switch defense (surprised me when he went onto wings)
Better HC execution, explores offensive options, but doesn't stop ball


Adding to that:

Better rolling off the screen.
Better popping off the screen.
Better when changing ends off the ball (kind of a big deal with Lonzo...hopefully Randle figures this out).
Defensively, way better at communication.

Like epak said, it will be interesting to see how Julius adapts to playing with Zo. Maybe he cleans up some of his areas.

The decision will likely be down to whether he gets it done on the defensive end. We've got to figure out keeping Randle vs. Lopez vs. Clarkson vs. KCP vs. free agent. If the light bulb doesn't go off or energy isn't there on D for Julius, then Kuzma and Nance are cheaper alternatives even if Randle turns out slightly better impact.


I pretty much agree with all of thee above. Hopefully Luke gives Kuzma a shot to prove he can do it in the NBA. My instincts tell me that wont come this season though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 348, 349, 350  Next
Page 74 of 350
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB