OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 751, 752, 753 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Kuzma should be starting going forward indefinitely, he has potential to be that 3rd star going forward with Bron & AD.

AD isn't a fan of running the 5. Particularly against Centers who can beat him up. Considering his injury concerns, I kinda agree.
But Kuz should still get starter minutes off the bench. Like Odom did with Kobe and Pau. And like Kukoc did with MJ and Pip.
He's distinguished himself as our 3rd option.

AD did play the 5 in his last season with the Pelicans and the last half of the 2017-18 season when Cousins injured his Achilles. Lakers are at their best with Bron, AD, & Kuzma playing as many minutes as possible together. Also, if not can still play a center and try Kuzma as a guard defender by replacing KCP in the starting lineup depending on matchups. Kuzma has done more than enough to be a starter and it actually hurts the team with Kuzma not starting due to how bad the Lakers start off games most of the time due to McGee eating up space that hinders the offense.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
epic_ wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Bubble Kuz through 7 games: 15.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1 spg, & 0.7 bpg on 46% shooting from the field, 44% from 3, & shooting 72% from the FT line in 27 mpg.

Tell me more about this 44% from 3.
And is it sustainable? I'm intrigued.

In the bubble I can see Kuz staying hot from 3 with similar percentages, along with Kuz being completely healthy now. Crazy thing was in his 2nd year he averaged 18 ppg while shooting 30% from 3. He has the tools to be that 18-20 ppg scorer behind Bron & AD, and it all hinges on his 3-point ability. When Popovich & Team USA said that one of the big blows to Team USA struggling in the World Cup was Kuzma not being able to play due to injuries says a ton about Kuzma's talent.

I'm here for it!
It'll be interesting to see how coach distributes the minutes.
Does he get 30+?
Does Alex get high 20s?
Does AD and Lebron get high 30s?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
epic_ wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Bubble Kuz through 7 games: 15.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1 spg, & 0.7 bpg on 46% shooting from the field, 44% from 3, & shooting 72% from the FT line in 27 mpg.

Tell me more about this 44% from 3.
And is it sustainable? I'm intrigued.

In the bubble I can see Kuz staying hot from 3 with similar percentages, along with Kuz being completely healthy now. Crazy thing was in his 2nd year he averaged 18 ppg while shooting 30% from 3. He has the tools to be that 18-20 ppg scorer behind Bron & AD, and it all hinges on his 3-point ability. When Popovich & Team USA said that one of the big blows to Team USA struggling in the World Cup was Kuzma not being able to play due to injuries says a ton about Kuzma's talent.

I'm here for it!
It'll be interesting to see how coach distributes the minutes.
Does he get 30+?
Does Alex get high 20s?
Does AD and Lebron get high 30s?

His bubble defense should get him 35+mins
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:

AD did play the 5 in his last season with the Pelicans and the last half of the 2017-18 season when Cousins injured his Achilles. Lakers are at their best with Bron, AD, & Kuzma playing as many minutes as possible together. Also, if not can still play a center and try Kuzma as a guard defender by replacing KCP in the starting lineup depending on matchups. Kuzma has done more than enough to be a starter and it actually hurts the team with Kuzma not starting due to how bad the Lakers start off games most of the time due to McGee eating up space that hinders the offense.

Considering AD is gonna be a free agent. I'd play AD at PG if he thats where he wanted to play . But I feel ya. The more minutes Kuz gets the better.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bEVyWVgjQ&t=892s

Quote:
Danny Green on Kuzma (@14:00)

“Kuz, he’s had the best training camp out of everybody. That confidence especially. He’s on the grey team and he’s coming at the purple team, full force, he’s attacking LeBron and AD, letting them know, ‘I’m here.’ Defensively, he’s taking on the challenge. He’s saying, ‘I wanna guard Harden, I wanna guard this guy,’ he wants to bottle them up.”

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject:

Still should have traded him and kept the superior Ingram but what's done is done. We have to suffer the emotional highs and lows you get from Kuz. Big moment nonetheless and irregardless against Groot and other Nugget bench fodder.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Still should have traded him and kept the superior Ingram but what's done is done. We have to suffer the emotional highs and lows you get from Kuz. Big moment nonetheless and irregardless against Groot and other Nugget bench fodder.

Pelicans wanted Ingram, not Kuzma. At least they preferred Lonzo over Kuzma
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

That was never an option. Ingram was the centerpiece of that trade for the Pelicans.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject:

Kuz had a rough year before the bubble. Having to make major adjustments in playing alongside LBJ and AD, dealing with injuries and stuff. I'm sure those circumstances would have impacted veterans in the game, not to mention Kuz is only playing his third year of pro basketball.

Having said that, it is glad to see Kuz finally looking comfortable in his role. With him being healthy and confident, it is hopeful that he can have a more consistent output offensively and defensively.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

That was never an option. Ingram was the centerpiece of that trade for the Pelicans.

Yeah, Griffen was well known to love Ingram's potential. He said the following well before he was hired by the Pelicans.

Quote:
Literally this kid doesn't even have total control of his extremities yet. He's so long, he's got like that newborn deer lack of core strength. For Kyrie Irving to say that he thought [Ingram] was defensively tough for him is a huge statement by Kyrie. And it says a lot about the fact that Brandon is making big strides in his core strength. Earlier this year, I saw him get blown by like he was nailed to the floor at times against point guards. He's very quickly adjusting. That's a big deal. He's 21 years old. It defies the imagination. How old was Victor Oladipo when he hit for Indiana? And [Ingram] is way more physically gifted than Oladipo.

Towards the end some fans mostly were hoping the Pelicans would get a little scared about the blood clot which was the only even slightly possible way we had a chance of keeping him but even that was false hope.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

BI is for sure the more all-rounded player, but I am sure Kuz fits alongside AD and LBJ more. He can play off the ball efficiently and I have more confident in him hitting 3 pointers more consistently. Not to diminish BI coz he's an all star now, but he would probably struggle a lot more with the Lakers.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject:

Kuz played well but like so many other times on this site people go nuts when he does. You guys realize we played our starters almost the entire 4th quarter against their reserves... I recall Kuz getting worked by Porter in the first half...has he improved...yes slightly...enough to get paid $12 million a year? hell to the no. If Pelinka can target a player of need i.e. solid PG or SG...they need to package Kuz and Green and THT for that player.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject:

Kuzma is definitely more focused now and it is shows by his play since entering the bubble. When he plays with this type of aggression & intensity the Lakers are even more deadly.

Kuz gives us a much needed boost, on both ends of the floor, that adds another dimension to the team. We need him to maintain this level of play throughout the play-offs.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bEVyWVgjQ&t=892s

Quote:
Danny Green on Kuzma (@14:00)

“Kuz, he’s had the best training camp out of everybody. That confidence especially. He’s on the grey team and he’s coming at the purple team, full force, he’s attacking LeBron and AD, letting them know, ‘I’m here.’ Defensively, he’s taking on the challenge. He’s saying, ‘I wanna guard Harden, I wanna guard this guy,’ he wants to bottle them up.”

Swag. I like it.

Not sure if this was posted, but here's a vid of Kuz D vs Kawhi, Reggie Jackson and Westbrook

That's AD-esque def versatility. Kuz is now a 2-way player?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject:

Its clear that Kuz wants to remain a Laker. I'm sure many have gotten in his ear and encouraged him. He is a DIFFERENT player right now (not saying this because he hit a game winner). The kids D has improved BIG TIME. His stroke seems to be back. His biggest improvement (JMO) has been his lack of those boneheaded plays he would regularly make. He is playing smart and mistake free for the most part and its all coming within the confines of the system.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Its clear that Kuz wants to remain a Laker. I'm sure many have gotten in his ear and encouraged him. He is a DIFFERENT player right now (not saying this because he hit a game winner). The kids D has improved BIG TIME. His stroke seems to be back. His biggest improvement (JMO) has been his lack of those boneheaded plays he would regularly make. He is playing smart and mistake free for the most part and its all coming within the confines of the system.

This is not surprising for me honestly. Each player need time in order for his game to slow down. Sometimes its two seasons, sometimes only one, sometimes maybe even four. This is his third season and finally game is slowing down for him. Thats why he is even play making more and not committing stupid mistakes. Talent was always there for him but he was young player just starting NBA career. Now after two full season this is what we all expect. Sometimes comes sooner sometimes later. Its important that its here.Keep it going Kuzzzz
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Kuz played well but like so many other times on this site people go nuts when he does. You guys realize we played our starters almost the entire 4th quarter against their reserves... I recall Kuz getting worked by Porter in the first half...has he improved...yes slightly...enough to get paid $12 million a year? hell to the no. If Pelinka can target a player of need i.e. solid PG or SG...they need to package Kuz and Green and THT for that player.

The only problem with your concerns is the “ reserves”’were playing well. Arguably better then the starters.

They were playing hard, making shots and running the system flawlessly. Players like Morris, Dozier and Plumlee were playing with energy and having impact.

Nuggets are deep and talented and run a system instead of relying on two stars and a prayer. The quality of play was not concerning because the “reserves” were playing so well.

What should be more concerning is that Denver rested their starters with no one playing more then 26 mins. While the Lakers needed 38 mins from James and Davis to look good. Lakers are going to need those two to play huge mins nightly during this playoff run.

And this lack of depth would not be helped next season if the Lakers keep trading away multiple assets for a single player. Some of the trades I see posted leave this team even more top heavy and relying on marginal bench players to rest the All Stars. IMO not a sustainable winning strategy. Still to be determined if it works this year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject:

Very impressed with Kuz's whole approach during this bubble. Really isn't reaching like he was before. Playing D, and being more efficient on offense.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
King Randle wrote:

The only problem with your concerns is the “ reserves”’were playing well. Arguably better then the starters.

They were playing hard, making shots and running the system flawlessly. Players like Morris, Dozier and Plumlee were playing with energy and having impact.

Nuggets are deep and talented and run a system instead of relying on two stars and a prayer. The quality of play was not concerning because the “reserves” were playing so well.

What should be more concerning is that Denver rested their starters with no one playing more then 26 mins. While the Lakers needed 38 mins from James and Davis to look good. Lakers are going to need those two to play huge mins nightly during this playoff run.

And this lack of depth would not be helped next season if the Lakers keep trading away multiple assets for a single player. Some of the trades I see posted leave this team even more top heavy and relying on marginal bench players to rest the All Stars. IMO not a sustainable winning strategy. Still to be determined if it works this year.

Valid points...but were the reserves playing that well or was our defense that bad? To be determined. I proposed a trade like that to dump DG's $15 million and to get talent back u need to throw in Kuz....Also IMO I think a lot of pretty good players will not get paid what they think next year due to China, economy and the virus...so we'll be able to add decent talent without overpaying.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject:

Right now teams have different motivations in the waning moments of the regular season.

LBJ is historically notorious for basically ramping down at the end of regular seasons (b/c his teams would wrap up a #1 seed so quickly) and then going nuclear in the playoffs. I think folks are looking too much into some meaningless post-#1 seed clinched games.

Denver has a bunch of young guys who probably were eager to play and gave it 100%. Good for them. They played well last night.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject:

MY LOVE FOR KUZMA SHINES LIKE A BEACON!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

Twitter bringing up a funny time...remember when people wanted to trade Kuzma for Bjelica?
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

Ingram is soft, lazy and has no heart.

For all his talent, he lacks the intangibles it takes to win at the highest level.

The fact that Pelinka was able to get AD AND keep Kuz makes it a kick ass trade.

Kuz, unlike Ingram and Zo was not anointed or given anything.

He's had to earn it and it shows.

He works hard, he WANTS it and he's fearless.

He's also a perfect fit for this squad, unlike Ingram who needs the ball in his hands to be effective at all.

If the Lakers continue to actually give Kuz a real shot to shine, he will continue to prove his doubters wrong.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject:

I don't have a problem paying Kuzma in the future, we have paid guys $8-15 million a year in recent memory, and gotten much less from what we get from Kuzma. My concern is that the three big impact players are AD, Lebron, and Kuzma. No true guard at those positions making a true impact and giving us that 15 ppg night in, night out.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

Someone changed the title
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 751, 752, 753 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 752 of 880
Jump to: