OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Christopher Walken wrote:
kuz and Nance at #27, we seem to be good at finding steals but:
Dlo over porzingis
ingram over jalen brown(guy is balling now)
zo over tatum
like, do our scouts find the late round gems and the gm's make the top picks?
why are we seemingly so good at late picks only?

I don't think we have issues selecting players.

I think our issues lie with developing them. Our player development infrastructure sucks IMO.

Put DLO/Ingram/Lonzo on Boston and I think they're killing it.

I've read a similar sentiment to this in the Luke thread.
But when you think about the best coaches who are the best at developing young talent. They sit their asses on the pine their rookie year. Something most Laker fans would be up in arms about.
Phil, Pop, and even the recent golden child Stevens. None of them start rookies. Jaylen Brown didn't start last year. And if Hayward didn't get hurt, Tatum would be getting far less minutes as well.

Remember when DLO was drafted, Byron called him the next Magic.

Remember when Luke said that he would have taken Ingram over Simmons.

Remember when Lonzo was drafted, Magic called him the next Magic.

NEWSFLASH: STOP CALLING EVERY THE NEXT MAGIC.

We heap too many expectations on 19 year old kids and when they predictably stumble, they are then crucified.

The reason why guys like JC/Nance/Kuz work out is b/c there were literally 0 expectation for them and they worked hard and easily outperformed 0 expectations.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

Do you actually watch Jaylen Brown or just look at the box scores?

Yeah, Jaylen is solid but he was a high floor lower ceiling type of pick. IMO BI is a better prospect.

And be honest, was anyone on this board clamoring to draft Porzingis in 2015? I thought he might be good, loved his interviews where he said that he was not a soft euro player, but I will be honest and say that I had no idea that he would be this good prior to the draft.

It's too bad we got all the number 2 picks instead of a number 1 where we could have gotten KAT or Ben Simmons but that is the luck of the draw.

BTW I love Lonzo. I have full faith in him so I am glad we picked him over Taytum, I do not consider that a miss at all.

We have hit on a huge percentage of our picks, IMO much higher than league average, and we are aces with our later picks. IMO trading DLO for Kuz and salary cap relief is a huge win.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

Yeah, Jaylen is solid but he was a high floor lower ceiling type of pick. IMO BI is a better prospect.

And be honest, was anyone on this board clamoring to draft Porzingis in 2015? I thought he might be good, loved his interviews where he said that he was not a soft euro player, but I will be honest and say that I had no idea that he would be this good prior to the draft.

It's too bad we got all the number 2 picks instead of a number 1 where we could have gotten KAT or Ben Simmons but that is the luck of the draw.

BTW I love Lonzo. I have full faith in him so I am glad we picked him over Taytum, I do not consider that a miss at all.

We have hit on a huge percentage of our picks, IMO much higher than league average, and we are aces with our later picks. IMO trading DLO for Kuz and salary cap relief is a huge win.

to be fair there were 1 or 2 people on here wanting porzingis. Dont remember who the exact posters were but there were a couple
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

P/F version of Glen Rice
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

This happens with every breakout draft star. Nobody expected porz to be playing at this level just yet. Its always convenient to criticize with 20/20 hindsight vision.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

to be fair there were 1 or 2 people on here wanting porzingis. Dont remember who the exact posters were but there were a couple

Remember the melt down Knicks fans had on national TV picking Porzingis at #4, imagine LA doing it at #2
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

Jaylen Brown over Ingram is LAUGHABLE to even suggest. I literally can't take anyone here seriously who would even insinuate we should have done that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

I ask you to re-watch SAS's reaction to Porky, or even Michael Rappaport's epic rant against Porky.

He wasn't a consensus top guy. Ask the Twolves/Lakers/76ers.

Knicks were very fortunate and deserve the guy.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

^credit to the Knicks on porzingis pick. It’s phil’s only bright spot in NY.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

A much less risky pick at the fourth slot vs. the second slot. But still kudos on making that selection, they could have gone with Mudiay.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

It was at the same a big ballsy move, but also the logical one with KAT/DLO/Oak off the board.

I think if any of the teams with the 1-3 picks were at #4, they'd likely do the same thing.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

It was at the same a big ballsy move, but also the logical one with KAT/DLO/Oak off the board.

I think if any of the teams with the 1-3 picks were at #4, they'd likely do the same thing.

Right. I do remember hearing a lot of Mudiay at the time so credit to them for taking the unicorn. Although, not that I think Ntilikina is a bad pick but smh at passing up on DSJ. Porzingis with DSJ is deadly and then you have Hardaway Jr and McDermott launching 3s.
IBWriter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

Just to give credit, KobeRe-Loaded was one of the few that predicted KP would be a star and wanted to draft him with the no. 2 (did it in the NBA Draft board, KP thread).
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Jaylen Brown over Ingram is LAUGHABLE to even suggest. I literally can't take anyone here seriously who would even insinuate we should have done that.

First off, a quick jab to a certain political party- I myself, "literally can't take anyone seriously who would even insinuate we should nominate a reality T.V. star for prez but I digress.
You're being disingenuous at best by suggesting BI is head and shoulders above Brown right now. Brown, at this moment is the better defender IMO.
That was his calling card out of college and BI may get blocks, but that is due to height. Now that Browns shot is starting to fall, the celts are getting good value for #3
INGRAM MAY WIND UP BEING THE BETTER DEFENDER IN THE FUTURE but for this very second, I give it to brown and it's laughable that you think otherwise.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

This happens with every breakout draft star. Nobody expected porz to be playing at this level just yet. Its always convenient to criticize with 20/20 hindsight vision.

Actually there was a group here wanting to draft Porzingis.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

A much less risky pick at the fourth slot vs. the second slot. But still kudos on making that selection, they could have gone with Mudiay.
m

And I by some chance DLO wasn’t available, Porky was second on our list.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

I watched Brown do well against the Warriors sago, is that ok with you?
Do I need to show my basketball credentials before posting here?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Sago wrote:
Dlo over porzingis
zo over tatum

I ask you to re-watch SAS's reaction to Porky, or even Michael Rappaport's epic rant against Porky.

He wasn't a consensus top guy. Ask the Twolves/Lakers/76ers.

Knicks were very fortunate and deserve the guy.

Im not saying I would have made that pick or agreed with it but simply stating some people on LG actually saw the talent and wanted him #2
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Right. I do remember hearing a lot of Mudiay at the time so credit to them for taking the unicorn. Although, not that I think Ntilikina is a bad pick but smh at passing up on DSJ. Porzingis with DSJ is deadly and then you have Hardaway Jr and McDermott launching 3s.

Frank gonna be a perennial All NBA defender. DSJ gonna just put up empty #s
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Im not saying I would have made that pick or agreed with it but simply stating some people on LG actually saw the talent and wanted him #2

Sure. Like 1-2 people. Maybe 3.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Frank gonna be a perennial All NBA defender. DSJ gonna just put up empty #s

Time will tell. Personally, I liked DSJ a lot at draft time but we will see if the Kmicks made the right choice.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Defensively Kyle Kuzma is currently in the 81st %ile in the NBA while defending the pick and roll.

TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Quote:
Defensively Kyle Kuzma is currently in the 81st %ile in the NBA while defending the pick and roll.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

This kid is going to be a star. What he did in summer league is no fluke.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Best player on the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 158 of 880
Jump to: